BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-07-14 7:47 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
Newport News
Subject: Swim
Yes it was a nice day for the swim and good to meet Stu too. Ended up 2ed in my age group out of three.
I've posted a short race report http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Have a Sprint Triathlon coming this Saturday in Hampton, VA. Short 500m swim with a flat 10 mile bike and 5k run and then six weeks of serious training before The Nation's Tri in DC.

2013-07-14 10:34 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Swim
Originally posted by tkatzhyman

Yes it was a nice day for the swim and good to meet Stu too. Ended up 2ed in my age group out of three.
I've posted a short race report http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Have a Sprint Triathlon coming this Saturday in Hampton, VA. Short 500m swim with a flat 10 mile bike and 5k run and then six weeks of serious training before The Nation's Tri in DC.

Nicely done. That's a serious swim! Good luck with the Sprint this weekend. Take it easy on Thursday-Friday so you're ready!

Steve
2013-07-14 10:44 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Muncie
Race report.
Muncie Half was this Saturday. I signed up because my training buddies were doing it and I was doing the training anyway.
My race goals were pretty much the basic, "try to have some fun with this" and to follow a run/walk plan during the run.

Swim - It was my second slowest half swim ever and it was of my own doing. I was in the first wave of swimmers to start and admiring the pro's swim from land when the horn went off. Kept my cool and accepted the laughter of the second wave young men as I made my way through them and into the water. Started swimming through the group and decided to swim around them - probably would have been illegeal but the sun was so bright, swimmers were going in all directions. It was wetsuit legal, but I did not wear mine because I haven't practice in it. I follow the "nothing new on race day" rule. The water was warm so really don't know how this was wetsuit legal. Time 38:50, was hoping for a 30:00, that is what I usually swim at this distance and I am swimming stronger now than ever.

Bike - Time 2:54:53 average 19.21 mph. Faster than the 3 hrs I thought I would do. Was pleased with my performance but road conditions were awful. There was a 20 mile stretch of chip and seal asphalt that was not suited for road bikes. Shame on the person that changed the coarse and had us ride this unsuitable road. Being in the front wave group on the swim I had young riders from the second wave group racing around me (20-25 male). But I caught around twenty riders back on the last 10 miles of the ride and that was fun.

Run - Time 2:39:12. Now don't laugh, but I was pleased with this. Followed a run/walk plan of walking up the hills and running down hills and any flat areas. The coarse was hilly and difficult. I was hoping for 2:30 but stopped a couple of times that were not planned to help fellow runners. I was passed by many runners and most said words of encouragment as they passed. It was a fun run in general with great volunteers at every mile marker. The miles seem to go by fast.

Overall - OK experience, BUT I am putting this race on my Reverse Bucket List (things I never want to do again). Road conditions were very poor, the run is too hilly for me, and it was not worth the pricey entry fee. Everyone in our group finished and that was exciting.

2013-07-15 8:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: crimestoppers? csi
Originally posted by dustytrails

Originally posted by juneapple

Liking that new "mug" shot, Linda!

I am so jazzed about someone taking the time to be so nice and order and send that mug. Thanks again Guy!

WHAT EVERYONE GOT GOING THIS WEEKEND ? ? ?

My Race is next weekend. I been track running race distance every other day..totally ready for Swim leg. I will start last and finish last...but thats okay for now. it is what it is. The bike part intrigues me the most cuz I have never been timed on this bike before and I know its fast.

Great Mug Shot (too funny) - No problem Linda you deserved it, you did a great job!!! That mug has some serious weight to it, I actually use it for bicep curls (Ha! Ha!).

BTW - Nice photo of the 2 Virginians - Nice swimming guys!!!

I met up with a group of open water swimmers called the Crusty Barnicles Sunday morning. Yes I was the worst one there but surpisingly I wasn't that far behind some of the other beginners. The group was very nice and encouraging plus I could tell they always had someone watching out for me. I was amazed at how bouyant I felt in the salt water as opposed ti the pool and it was also cool to see how far i actaully swam instead of just doing lengths in the pool.

RUNNING HELP NEEDED: Been disappointed with my running lately because I have been trying to keep my BPM down in the 130's and I have had to run as slow as 13 min/miles and it is still in the 140's. I heard this is because of the heat, yesterday it was 92F. I literally felt like I was practically walking out there. Now I am thinking to hell with the heart rate monitor and just run at a comfortable pace 10-11 min/miles and do some of Steve's speed work to get ready for my sprint tri in two weeks. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-07-15 8:37 AM
2013-07-15 10:53 AM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Subject: OH NO!!!!
Injured my Calf Muscle doing my run this morning. I'm running along at a somewhat leisurely pace when all of a sudden, something in my right calf snaps and then the pain. I wasn't pushing myself hard at all because I have (had) the Triangle Tri this Saturday and was really just out there taking it easy and enjoying the first morning in almost a month it hasn't been pouring rain. Until the injury I had no idea anything was wrong, no aches no pains, feeling good even to the point that I was marveling at how good I felt this particular morning. The ironic thing is, I didn't intend to run this morning, but it was so nice I decided to do an easy run instead of the swim I had originally planned because the weather lately had prevented me from getting out as much as I would have liked to and I thought what harm could come from a little leisurely jog. I soon found out the answer.. As a matter of fact I was thinking to myself how good I was feeling when all of a sudden. SNAP. Of course I 3 miles from home. Tried to call my wife to come and get me as I didn't feel like nor did I want to walk back home. Couldn't get thru to her and left her a voice mail. So, after a few minutes I decided I'd try to hobble on back home thinking surely my wife will get the message and return my call. She didn't. SO I ended up limping all the way back home. Probably not the best thing for the calf. It seemed the more I walked the less it hurt so maybe not so bad, I even attempted to jog a bit, that lasted about three steps. Anyhow, I'm really bummed out right now as I was really looking forward to this weekend's, Tri, it's virtually in my back yard and I'm familiar with the lake and the bike and running course. My doctor says I'm looking at probably six weeks before I can start running again. Now it looks like I'll have to pull out and maybe even ultimate goal for the season the Beach to Battleship this October in Wilmington NC. I was just beginning to get back into the swing after my free range dog incident, got my bike repaired, the shoulder had quit hurting and was making strides. I've been working diligently for almost two years to get to this point, had everything planned out and taking great care (I thought) to avoid over exertion type injuries. Training for my tris and my morning workouts have become such a part of my life that I don't know what I'm going to do. Having started at 350 pounds, my biggest fear is that I'll start putting on weight again. Then again, when you have lemons, make lemonade. Since swimming has been my weakest part, I'll probably spend much more time in the pool instead. Just curious, how do you handle the mental aspects of injuries?
2013-07-15 1:24 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Regular
Originally posted by JREDFLY

RUNNING HELP NEEDED: Been disappointed with my running lately because I have been trying to keep my BPM down in the 130's and I have had to run as slow as 13 min/miles and it is still in the 140's. I heard this is because of the heat, yesterday it was 92F. I literally felt like I was practically walking out there. Now I am thinking to hell with the heart rate monitor and just run at a comfortable pace 10-11 min/miles and do some of Steve's speed work to get ready for my sprint tri in two weeks. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hey James:

Here's my two cents. I would throw out your HR monitor (at least for a couple of weeks) and just run for feel. You know when you're stressing your HR at the upper limit and you obviously know when your comfortable. So, at this point it probably isn't that helpful. I would then spend a little time at the track or any measured distance to accurately document these two key paces: 1) what's your current easy training pace (marathon pace or something you could maintain for a long time. I've heard it described as conversation pace because you can easily run and talk at this pace), 2) what is your current tempo pace-- slightly faster pace that is more stressful but you could maintain for an hour without blowing up. From there I would build out a training plan that includes easy, tempo and interval sessions each week.

Using your numbers (liberally), let's say your conversation/easy pace is 11:00/mile. If so, your tempo pace is probably close to your 10K pace, say 9:30-10:00/mile. Taking 30-45 seconds/mile off your tempo pace gives you a basic starting point for interval paces with full recovery. So, your intervals to start might be in the 8:45-9:00 range...for example, repeat 400 yards at 2:15 with a 90 second recovery. Or 800 at 4:30 with a 3:00 recovery. The point would be to gradually train your body to the faster pace without putting crazy stress on your system. Over time you can increase the number of intervals, shorten the recovery break, increase the interval distance or some combination of all three. The key is to run a strong consistent interval....but not setting it too hard/fast which is the common mistake most people make on the track.

So, if I was thinking about a run focused triathlon program given the times you listed, I would probably think about 4 runs per week. Two would be at slightly longer than race distance but at your easy/marathon pace to build run specific endurance, one would be at or slightly below tempo/10K pace at close to race distance, and the fourth workout would be the track session/intervals where the total distance (warm up, intervals, recovery, cool) equal your race distance.

The old saying is if you want to run fast you have to run fast. The good news is focused training (both tempo and interval runs) will build your speed. And once you know the appropriate paces, it's pretty easy to create a workout, even if you are setting it up on a treadmill. The bad news is this isn't a two week fix especially for gray guys/girls. Our aging bodies just can't build fast twitch muscle fiber that quickly. But if you can commit to a training schedule, you can definitely get faster.

Good luck!

Steve

2013-07-15 1:51 PM
in reply to: Bull

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: OH NO!!!!
Originally posted by Bull

Injured my Calf Muscle doing my run this morning. Then again, when you have lemons, make lemonade. Since swimming has been my weakest part, I'll probably spend much more time in the pool instead. Just curious, how do you handle the mental aspects of injuries?

Hey Rick:

Sorry to hear about your injury. What you describe sounds similar to an injury I had a couple of years ago. I was feeling a little tight in my calf--thinking it was a minor pull--so I backed off running. A few days later I was starting up some stairs (I was going to leap them two at a time) and I literally heard the muscle pop, which was followed by pretty severe pain and an inability to walk except a sort of weird heel plant shuffle.

Turns out I ruptured one of the minor muscles in my calf, which sounds very similar to what you describe. My doc explained--as best I recall--that there are three primary calf muscles, two are larger and are located on outer and inner part of the calf and a smaller one (soleus?) running up the middle. I'm told injuring that smaller middle muscle is pretty common for runners.

The good news is muscle pulls heal relatively quickly. If you can get ice and electric stem treatment from a phys therapist, so much the better. But as you said, you'll probably lose 3-6 weeks. It sucks, but you're in this for the long haul, right? In the greater scheme of things, 6 weeks messes with individual races but means little on the longer time horizon.

You've got the right attitude. This is now a perfect opportunity to focus on swimming and boosting your swim fitness/speed. Once you're a little better, you'll probably be able to bike as well. So, maybe you can get 3-4 weeks working specifically on bike endurance, cadence/leg turnover, hill drills, etc. As you said, time to make lemonade!

Head up!

Steve
2013-07-15 4:23 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: OH NO / HR during runs
when i first got back to running two again two years ago last spring..I couldnt keep my HR below 180. I finally decided to just "run anyway".......
Now i only run mornings and not if its over 85 % humidity in Texas. My HR is arounf 140 during a workout.
Sorry Bull...sounds like you will be swimming a lot.
Lady with race report... what were the distances?

2013-07-15 8:50 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Just curious, how do you handle the mental aspects of injuries?

Bull -

First, so sorry to hear about your injury.  Hopefully it will not be too serious and you will recover quickly.

I have said for ages that the mental aspect of athletics is at least as important as the physical aspect, if not more important.  Simply put, if you don't THINK you can do it, you don't have an ice cubes chance in hell of doing it.  You have already taken an important first step when you said, " Then again, when you have lemons, make lemonade."  That mental state will overcome your minor physical setback.

I will tell you a quick story that I have always found somewhat inspirational.  Back when I was swimming, we had an individual on the team that was a very successful age group competitor who had qualified for his first short course national championships.  The week before the nationals, Jimmy was helping his dad in their orchard and fell out of an Avocado tree, breaking his neck at C-3.  Thank goodness their was no paralysis, however, the doctors said his head had to be immobilized for six months and he would not be able to swim.  Jim Montrella, our coach, said that was unacceptable - 6 months without working out would essentially end his swimming career.  So Jim, Jimmy, his parents, and the doctors all got together and formulated a plan of alternative workouts to keep Jimmy's fitness up.  He had this big contraption on his head and shoulders and ended up kicking, every night while we worked out, he also did about an hour of weights, every night.  His first meet back after his injury healed he set personal records in every event he competed in.  His apparent setback turned into a positive because he was able to increase his upper body strength through the strength work.

Yes, it may be true that you will not be able to run for some period of time.  But you can swim.  You said that swimming has been "your weakest part."  Here is your chance to fix that.  You can do strength work.  I would bet my income through the end of the year that you, like most of us, can afford to do a significant amount of core strengthening work.  Here is your chance.

Don't let this minor setback become a major obstacle.  With a little thought and a bit of determination, you can find ways to make this a positive.

That is how you handle the mental aspects of injuries.  Find the positive.

Edited by k9car363 2013-07-15 8:58 PM
2013-07-15 8:58 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

New user
Originally posted by k9car363

Just curious, how do you handle the mental aspects of injuries?

Bull -

First, so sorry to hear about your injury.  Hopefully it will not be too serious and you will recover quickly.

I have said for ages that the mental aspect of athletics is at least as important as the physical aspect, if not more important.  Simply put, if you don't THINK you can do it, you don't have an ice cubes chance in hell of doing it.  You have already taken an important first step when you said, " Then again, when you have lemons, make lemonade."  That mental state will overcome your minor physical setback.

I will tell you a quick story that I have always found somewhat inspirational.  Back when I was swimming, we had an individual on the team that was a very successful age group competitor who had qualified for his first short course national championships.  The week before the nationals, Jimmy was helping his dad in their orchard and fell out of an Avocado tree, breaking his neck at C-3.  Thank goodness their was no paralysis, however, the doctors said his head had to be immobilized for six months and he would not be able to swim.  Jim Montrella, our coach, said that was unacceptable - 6 months without working out would essentially end his swimming career.  So Jim, Jimmy, his parents, and the doctors all got together and formulated a plan of alternative workouts to keep Jimmy's fitness up.  He had this big contraption on his head and shoulders and ended up kicking, every night while we worked out, he also did about an hour of weights, every night.  His first meet back after his injury healed he set personal records in every event he competed in.  His apparent setback turned into a positive because he was able to increase his upper body strength through the strength work.

Yes, it may be true that you will not be able to run for some period of time.  But you can swim.  You said that swimming has been "your weakest part."  Here is your chance to fix that.  You can do strength work.  I would bet my income through the end of the year that you, like most of us, can afford to do a significant amount of core strengthening work.  Here is your chance.

Don't let this minor setback become a major obstacle.  With a little thought and a bit of determination, you can find ways to make this a positive.

Scott, Wow - amazing, and thanks.
2013-07-15 9:16 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

The old saying is if you want to run fast you have to run fast.

Good luck!

Steve

Thanks Steve - I will start with this new routine. Today I actually turned off the HRM and just did a 10 min/mile for 3 miles in 90F. It felt good to push it a little again and I don't think my heartrate was all that much higher. I think there may be sometting to what Linda (Thanks Linda!) was saying about the heat and humidity affecting heartrate. I think my hearteate is going to be high anyway in this heat whether I am running 13 or 10 minute miles.

Track work starts tomorrow. I'll let you know how I make out. I know it may not help much for my sprint in two weeks but at least it will be a start

Thanks again!!!

2013-07-15 9:16 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

New user
Subject: RE: OH NO / HR during runs
Distance at Muncie:
Swim: 1.3 miles
Bike: 56
Run/walk: 13.1
Half IM distances are not my favorite, but the Local TRI groups always want to do them. I enjoy training the half distance, but do not enjoy the event itself. The goal for this race was to enjoy myself and until mile 12 on the run, I had fun.
I would not recommend Muncie to anyone unless you like hot weather. It usually is 90+ degrees and the run is very hilly. The bike coarse changed this year and was not as nice as years past.
We are talking about traveling to do an Olympic distance next summer as a group. If anyone has a suggestion for a race that we can drive to from KY, please let me know.
2013-07-16 9:52 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Regular
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Thanks Steve - I will start with this new routine. Today I actually turned off the HRM and just did a 10 min/mile for 3 miles in 90F. It felt good to push it a little again and I don't think my heartrate was all that much higher. I think there may be sometting to what Linda (Thanks Linda!) was saying about the heat and humidity affecting heartrate. I think my hearteate is going to be high anyway in this heat whether I am running 13 or 10 minute miles.

Track work starts tomorrow. I'll let you know how I make out. I know it may not help much for my sprint in two weeks but at least it will be a start

Thanks again!!!

Rick--no question that heat and humidity impact performance and heart rate. In hot weather your body has to work harder just to maintain cooling...so you sweat more and your heart has to work harder to circulate blood through your system to deal with the heat. The exact same workout at 65 degrees with low humidity gets much harder at 85 degrees and high humidity. And it will show up in heart and fatigue rate.

Be careful out there!

Steve
2013-07-16 3:07 PM
in reply to: Kay Ewing

User image

Regular
Subject: Re muncie
I don't know about Kentucky area sorry.

I am working toward the intermediate distance for next July 2014
1000m lake swim no current.
20 bike hot and potentially windy. none of its flat.
4.4 flat run with partial shade

No hills in run but a killer hill first mile of bike. I could switch it for a flatter race...but then it would be unfamiliar territory and thats stressful to me cuz I am a chicken on the bike.

I bumped up my track w/o's to at least twice a week....

and it has really helped a lot. I cheat too much and tend to go very slow at times on pure trail....

2013-07-16 4:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Re muncie
Originally posted by dustytrails

I don't know about Kentucky area sorry.

I am working toward the intermediate distance for next July 2014
1000m lake swim no current.
20 bike hot and potentially windy. none of its flat.
4.4 flat run with partial shade

No hills in run but a killer hill first mile of bike. I could switch it for a flatter race...but then it would be unfamiliar territory and thats stressful to me cuz I am a chicken on the bike.

I bumped up my track w/o's to at least twice a week....

and it has really helped a lot. I cheat too much and tend to go very slow at times on pure trail....

What race are you planning on?
2013-07-16 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Muncie
Originally posted by Kay Ewing

Race report.
Muncie Half was this Saturday. I signed up because my training buddies were doing it and I was doing the training anyway.
My race goals were pretty much the basic, "try to have some fun with this" and to follow a run/walk plan during the run.

Swim - It was my second slowest half swim ever and it was of my own doing. I was in the first wave of swimmers to start and admiring the pro's swim from land when the horn went off. Kept my cool and accepted the laughter of the second wave young men as I made my way through them and into the water. Started swimming through the group and decided to swim around them - probably would have been illegeal but the sun was so bright, swimmers were going in all directions. It was wetsuit legal, but I did not wear mine because I haven't practice in it. I follow the "nothing new on race day" rule. The water was warm so really don't know how this was wetsuit legal. Time 38:50, was hoping for a 30:00, that is what I usually swim at this distance and I am swimming stronger now than ever.

Bike - Time 2:54:53 average 19.21 mph. Faster than the 3 hrs I thought I would do. Was pleased with my performance but road conditions were awful. There was a 20 mile stretch of chip and seal asphalt that was not suited for road bikes. Shame on the person that changed the coarse and had us ride this unsuitable road. Being in the front wave group on the swim I had young riders from the second wave group racing around me (20-25 male). But I caught around twenty riders back on the last 10 miles of the ride and that was fun.

Run - Time 2:39:12. Now don't laugh, but I was pleased with this. Followed a run/walk plan of walking up the hills and running down hills and any flat areas. The coarse was hilly and difficult. I was hoping for 2:30 but stopped a couple of times that were not planned to help fellow runners. I was passed by many runners and most said words of encouragment as they passed. It was a fun run in general with great volunteers at every mile marker. The miles seem to go by fast.

Overall - OK experience, BUT I am putting this race on my Reverse Bucket List (things I never want to do again). Road conditions were very poor, the run is too hilly for me, and it was not worth the pricey entry fee. Everyone in our group finished and that was exciting.

Wow! You did amazing even if you are not happy with your results. Congratulations! How do you get so fast on the bike? I have such a problem figuring out where I need to be with the gears!

Edited by luv2bhealthy 2013-07-16 4:34 PM

2013-07-16 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Injured my Calf Muscle doing my run this morning. I'm running along at a somewhat leisurely pace when all of a sudden, something in my right calf snaps and then the pain. I wasn't pushing myself hard at all because I have (had) the Triangle Tri this Saturday and was really just out there taking it easy and enjoying the first morning in almost a month it hasn't been pouring rain. Until the injury I had no idea anything was wrong, no aches no pains, feeling good even to the point that I was marveling at how good I felt this particular morning. The ironic thing is, I didn't intend to run this morning, but it was so nice I decided to do an easy run instead of the swim I had originally planned because the weather lately had prevented me from getting out as much as I would have liked to and I thought what harm could come from a little leisurely jog. I soon found out the answer.. As a matter of fact I was thinking to myself how good I was feeling when all of a sudden. SNAP. Of course I 3 miles from home. Tried to call my wife to come and get me as I didn't feel like nor did I want to walk back home. Couldn't get thru to her and left her a voice mail. So, after a few minutes I decided I'd try to hobble on back home thinking surely my wife will get the message and return my call. She didn't. SO I ended up limping all the way back home. Probably not the best thing for the calf. It seemed the more I walked the less it hurt so maybe not so bad, I even attempted to jog a bit, that lasted about three steps. Anyhow, I'm really bummed out right now as I was really looking forward to this weekend's, Tri, it's virtually in my back yard and I'm familiar with the lake and the bike and running course. My doctor says I'm looking at probably six weeks before I can start running again. Now it looks like I'll have to pull out and maybe even ultimate goal for the season the Beach to Battleship this October in Wilmington NC. I was just beginning to get back into the swing after my free range dog incident, got my bike repaired, the shoulder had quit hurting and was making strides. I've been working diligently for almost two years to get to this point, had everything planned out and taking great care (I thought) to avoid over exertion type injuries. Training for my tris and my morning workouts have become such a part of my life that I don't know what I'm going to do. Having started at 350 pounds, my biggest fear is that I'll start putting on weight again. Then again, when you have lemons, make lemonade. Since swimming has been my weakest part, I'll probably spend much more time in the pool instead. Just curious, how do you handle the mental aspects of injuries?

Having an injury right after you got over some injuries would be incredibly frustrating. While I had a hard time with it, I, too, would be looking for other ways to work out and improve on my weaker points. I do more running because it's what I am comfortable with. I should be working more on the other two, though. I hope you mend quickly!

Edited by luv2bhealthy 2013-07-16 4:31 PM
2013-07-17 10:06 AM

Subject: 1st race of season
I have my first race of the season this Saturday - sprint triathlon. My training has been inconsistent to say the least. I am trying to determine if i need to do anything more to taper than just take a rest day on Friday. I would like to do a brick today and another bike ride tomorrow, and then rest on friday. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by charlotte hobbs 2013-07-17 10:07 AM
2013-07-17 11:54 AM
in reply to: charlotte hobbs

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: 1st race of season
Originally posted by charlotte hobbs

I have my first race of the season this Saturday - sprint triathlon. My training has been inconsistent to say the least. I am trying to determine if i need to do anything more to taper than just take a rest day on Friday. I would like to do a brick today and another bike ride tomorrow, and then rest on friday. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Charlotte:

IMO at this point any substantive training will only fatigue without adding any benefit. Worse, you might push a little too much and be stuck with residual soreness or stiffness that doesn't fully clear by the weekend.

So, at this point any workouts you do should be very light overall with short slightly higher intensity efforts (30 seconds or less), just getting the muscles working and ready to perform. My coach likes to schedule light workouts the day before the race. Personally, I feel like I'm better rested by hitting my last workout two days before and going for complete rest the day prior to the event. I guess that's just a gray guy personal preference.

My suggestion is to just use the race this weekend as a marker of your current fitness. You can see how it feels, record the times from each leg, and use those splits as the basis for building your future training goals/plans going forward. Given what you said above, I would go into the race thinking about putting in a good effort but really focusing on celebrating the fact that you're among the 1% of the U.S. population that can/will go out and race a multi-sport event.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Steve
2013-07-17 2:08 PM

Subject: RE: 1st race of season
Steve,

thank you for your sage advice - very helpful - and will allow for more fun rather than feeling the need to "cram" the last few days.
2013-07-17 3:56 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: marble falls tri
"the tri with the hills" not the hits series.

2013-07-18 8:28 AM

Subject: RE: ITU Grand Finale
n addition to the question about this week, i have another question. In September, I am giving a talk at a conference in Dublin, Ireland. The weekend we plan to arrive for the conference is the same week of the Grand Final of the ITU Triathlon Series in London. There is an open age group sprint for anyone - no qualification necessary. The route is on the 2012 Olympic Triathlon Course. The question: Should i register, and if i do, what do i do about a bike?
EDIT
2013-07-18 11:15 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: ITU Grand Finale
Charlotte--

Go for it! I did the ITU in San Diego and it was great. It's really fun to run on the blue carpet at the finish. If you can get there in time to watch the elite race I highly recommend it. It's fabulous to watch the best in the world. If it's like San Diego, they will have a big screen set up at the finish so you can watch the competitors on the course. Plus these ITU elite events are usually multi-lap courses, so the bikers/runners come through the transition/finish line multiple times. With Brownlee being the Olympic Gold champ competing on his home turf, I'll bet the spectating will be crazy.

Not sure on the bike. Hopefully an internet search will reveal a bike shop that will set you up with a rental and cleats.

Hope it works out for you!

Steve
2013-07-18 11:44 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Race Weekend
Hello gray guys/girls--

I hope you've got a great weekend planned. We're already more than halfway through the summer racing season.

I've got my home course Olympic Triathlon race on Saturday, if you can call a 40 mile drive "home." But it's the closest Tri to where I live, so for me it's the home course. The race is called "ChelanMan." It is actually an entire multi-sport weekend as they have Tri's at HIM, Olympic, Sprint and even a Try a Tri. Plus they have 5K, 10K and HM length running races spanning Saturday and Sunday.

The swim is fabulous. Lake Chelan is the 3rd deepest lake in the U.S. after Crater Lake and Lake Tahoe. The water is spectacularly clean and clear. Most of the time you can see the bottom some 30-40 feet down...until we hit some of the deep spots, then it's just dark blue forever. The water is so clean that most homes there still pull their drinking water directly from lake. So, even if I have a crappy swim from a performance standpoint, it will be wonderful swim.

The bike is challenging with a few steep climbs, but that's OK. The run is mostly flat. The only issue here is by the time I get to the run the heat will be kicking up as the highs are predicted for the upper 90's.

Here's a you tube video on the race someone put together a couple of years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvPpNWETM6A

Post race, my wife and I will head over to my parents house (on the lake) for a post race celebration.

In any case, it should be great fun racing this weekend.

Go, go, go!

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2013-07-18 11:49 AM
2013-07-18 4:49 PM

User image

Regular
Newport News
Subject: RE: Race Weekend
I set to do the Tidewater Sprint on Saturday. Unlikely that I see the bottom of the Chesapeake, but expect to see, hopefully not feel, some jellyfish, Swim is only 500 meters so exposure time should be short. Both the 10.5 miles and the run 5K are flat flat. Will drive to race site tomorrow afternoon to pick up my race packet, will also do one bike loop and cycle the run course. The its early to bed for the 7AM start.

I've raised my minimum for TNT and I am all set for the Nations Triathlon in September, will start building for the Olympic distance next week. Looks like the team has some 20-30 mile bike followed by 4-6 mile runs scheduled for the rest of July and first half of August before tapering down for the 7th September race.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37