BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-22 7:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED

Originally posted by SSMinnow How about a question for the group before everyone gets obsessed with the upcoming weekend? What are some things you do or tell yourself when one of your disciplines is lagging in progress? how do you keep going? I tell myself every time I go to the pool, today's the day I am going to follow the workout to a T and really work hard on technique. I often find that i have so many things to work on from instructor that I get frustrated and start messing with the workout itself. I've tried focusing on one issue at a time, but even that doesn't work. I would never think to do this with running or biking where I am more proficient. HELP! We're heading to our Lake House today in Northern Wisconsin to kick off the Summer. Highly doubt I will get to do any OWS quite yet with the H20 temps in the mid to upper 40s (brrrr), but I do have a couple of rides on the plan. One of my routes takes me by an area where I typically see black bear so almost as good as a sea turtle in beautiful waters.

Suzy-the swim is my nemesis as well. I find that I do best when I have a specific workout laid out for my swim sessions. If I go to the pool with the plan being to just swim I tend to do what is easiest. Since  I began working with my current coach in Nov. there are 2 specific things that I attribute to improved times in the pool. 1) increased volume and 2) lots of hard sets in the pool. Its not easy and I often dread the swim workouts but there has been improvement. Interestingly, I do almost no drills.....other than a set of 6X50 swimming with an ankle band during my warm up.

Saw a good quote today that kind of sums up my approach to swim workouts. "Mental will is a muscle that needs exercise, just like the muscles of the body"

There is a great series of videos by Gerry Rodrigues of Tower 26 swimming that goes through what he feels are the most important factors in triathlon swim training. The series is long but I did a blog post summarizing the points I found most helpful. Here is the link to the post that contains links to the video series.

http://thesagetriathlete.blogspot.com/2013/01/swimming-will-it-ever-get-better.html

Hope this helps. Gains in swimming are so small and hard to make I often wonder if it is worth the time I spend in the pool but ultimately its part of triathlon so I'll keep at it.

Edited by slornow 2013-05-22 7:48 PM

2013-05-22 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

New user
Hello, I like how you guys hang in there will all three disciplines even though one is hard for you! We are a determined group of athletes! I did my first plank ever today! At first for 6 seconds or so I thought I must be doing it wrong it was so easy. That lasted a mere period of seconds. By 20 I was sure I wouldn't make it and by 30 I had multiples drops of sweat dripping off my face! Wow it was a loooooong 30! I have a question. I have followed the 22 week Pate sprint plan. My first tri is a week from Sunday. Do I need to taper next week and if so how much less do I do compared to my current weekly volume? Thanks for any input! My goal is to finish but not last!
2013-05-22 8:40 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by Chunga

Hello, I like how you guys hang in there will all three disciplines even though one is hard for you! We are a determined group of athletes! I did my first plank ever today! At first for 6 seconds or so I thought I must be doing it wrong it was so easy. That lasted a mere period of seconds. By 20 I was sure I wouldn't make it and by 30 I had multiples drops of sweat dripping off my face! Wow it was a loooooong 30!

I have a question. I have followed the 22 week Pate sprint plan. My first tri is a week from Sunday. Do I need to taper next week and if so how much less do I do compared to my current weekly volume?

Thanks for any input! My goal is to finish but not last!

I can't tell what kind of training you had worked up to, but I've found that light workouts the week before, and then some easy stuff 1-2 days before usually works well. For my last race, I had a taper week that basically included most of my regular workouts, just no intensity. Then, the day before I could go for a light run or just spinning on the bike to get the legs working just a little bit. I'm not sure what other advice you'll get, but I'd go with the "lighter volume + lighter intensity, while still doing enough to keep the body working a little" approach.
2013-05-22 9:42 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Calgary, AB
Originally posted by chapfallen
Originally posted by Hoos
Originally posted by slornow

Anyone have big plans for the Holiday weekend?

First HM!

Followed by recovery from first HM.  Smile

Good luck! Do you have a target time you want to share with the group?

I'm aiming for 2 days.   Smile    

Oh... you probably meant the HM itself, not the recovery...  

I'd like to beat 2:15.   That's pretty close to my McMillan prediction based on a recent 10K training run.   And the HM course is flat as a pancake (unlike my hilly neighboorhod).    The race has a 2:15 pace bunny so I'm hoping that'll help.

Scott.

2013-05-22 9:45 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by SSMinnow How about a question for the group before everyone gets obsessed with the upcoming weekend? What are some things you do or tell yourself when one of your disciplines is lagging in progress? how do you keep going?

Good question Suzy.  Come to think of it -- I can clearly remember bad training sessions, but I can't ever remember two or three in a row (in the same discipline).  So I guess the thing I do is -- ignore it -- it'll come back!

Scott.

2013-05-23 6:02 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by SSMinnow How about a question for the group before everyone gets obsessed with the upcoming weekend? What are some things you do or tell yourself when one of your disciplines is lagging in progress? how do you keep going? I tell myself every time I go to the pool, today's the day I am going to follow the workout to a T and really work hard on technique. I often find that i have so many things to work on from instructor that I get frustrated and start messing with the workout itself. I've tried focusing on one issue at a time, but even that doesn't work. I would never think to do this with running or biking where I am more proficient. HELP! We're heading to our Lake House today in Northern Wisconsin to kick off the Summer. Highly doubt I will get to do any OWS quite yet with the H20 temps in the mid to upper 40s (brrrr), but I do have a couple of rides on the plan. One of my routes takes me by an area where I typically see black bear so almost as good as a sea turtle in beautiful waters.

Suzy-the swim is my nemesis as well. I find that I do best when I have a specific workout laid out for my swim sessions. If I go to the pool with the plan being to just swim I tend to do what is easiest. Since  I began working with my current coach in Nov. there are 2 specific things that I attribute to improved times in the pool. 1) increased volume and 2) lots of hard sets in the pool. Its not easy and I often dread the swim workouts but there has been improvement. Interestingly, I do almost no drills.....other than a set of 6X50 swimming with an ankle band during my warm up.

Saw a good quote today that kind of sums up my approach to swim workouts. "Mental will is a muscle that needs exercise, just like the muscles of the body"

There is a great series of videos by Gerry Rodrigues of Tower 26 swimming that goes through what he feels are the most important factors in triathlon swim training. The series is long but I did a blog post summarizing the points I found most helpful. Here is the link to the post that contains links to the video series.

http://thesagetriathlete.blogspot.com/2013/01/swimming-will-it-ever-get-better.html

Hope this helps. Gains in swimming are so small and hard to make I often wonder if it is worth the time I spend in the pool but ultimately its part of triathlon so I'll keep at it.

Thanks for sharing the link. I will take a look at some of those drillst. Here is one I have also come across that shows a variety of drills. Of course the swimmer doing them is flawless: https://usaswimming.adobeconnect.com/_a792273714/p1q2qm9q8dx/?launch...

For some reason, the post I penned last night has vanished. Hmmm, weird. Just another site quirk that needs to be fixed I guess.

2013-05-23 6:52 AM
in reply to: #4753670

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
It's interesting seeing people's take on finding swimming hard. For me it's the only one of the 3 sports where I feel comfortable, although I have reached the stage where improvements have slowed significantly. I regularly get frustrated by my bike and run progress so as Jamie said, I tend to not think about progress too much. I just do my workouts and trust that it will come. Scott - I asked my coach if he had any tips for rapid recovery after my recent HM. He said the general rule is to allow a day per mile of the race!
2013-05-23 7:59 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Scott-good luck at the race.  Following a pace group can be a good idea. In races its hard not to go faster than planned given the excitement and adrenaline. Unfortunately, as the race progresses you pay for those fast miles. Stick to your plan, have fun and finish strong.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

2013-05-23 12:39 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Chunga

Hello, I like how you guys hang in there will all three disciplines even though one is hard for you! We are a determined group of athletes! I did my first plank ever today! At first for 6 seconds or so I thought I must be doing it wrong it was so easy. That lasted a mere period of seconds. By 20 I was sure I wouldn't make it and by 30 I had multiples drops of sweat dripping off my face! Wow it was a loooooong 30!

I have a question. I have followed the 22 week Pate sprint plan. My first tri is a week from Sunday. Do I need to taper next week and if so how much less do I do compared to my current weekly volume?

Thanks for any input! My goal is to finish but not last!

I wouldn't taper too much. Certainly take it very easy on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Maybe one workout a day, medium intensity, with just a few short "pops" up to race speed.

On Saturday I would take my bike out for a 3 to 8 mile spin just to make sure everything is working OK. Really almost no intensity. Just moving your legs and running the bike through all of its gears. When you get off, check the tires to make sure they look ok with no foreign debris embedded in them. Maybe an easy mile run and then put your feet up and know that you are ready for Sunday.

Does the Pate plan have a built in taper week? Most plans will take you right up to race day and the person who wrote your plan is probably smarter than me about all of this stuff
2013-05-23 1:26 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Mary-I agree with Jason on the taper. You difinitely want to feel rested but not flat. Doing too little in the days before the race leaves me feeling flat and sluggish. Keeping some "intensity" leading up to the race reminds the body what its like to push a bit.  A few harder swim laps, a few minutes at race pace on the bike and run should do it.

Today was a swim that I was dreading. Just was not sure that I would be able to make the intervals and complete the workout. It was 25 X 100 on a pretty short rest interval. I hate doing 25 of anything much less swim intervals. Surprisingly I felt good throughout the whole set and had no problem completing it and finishing petty strong. This was clearly one of those "mental" workouts for me. Its hard to get your mind around doing 25 of something when you are on the 2nd...3rd...4th...etc. interval. Completing this type of workout gives me confidence heading into a HIM swim. Knowing I can do the distance, under control, at what will hopefully be a good pace. BUT, stay tuned. Another swim is on the schedule tomorrow and it is rare for me to have 2 good swim workouts in a row....tomorrow I'll likely be on here questioning whether I will ever figure out swimming. SO, I'll take the good days when they come and call it progress!  

2013-05-23 2:40 PM

User image

It's interesting seeing people's take on finding swimming hard. For me it's the only one of the 3 sports where I feel comfortable, although I have reached the stage where improvements have slowed significantly. I regularly get frustrated by my bike and run progress so as Jamie said, I tend to not think about progress too much. I just do my workouts and trust that it will come.

Scott - I asked my coach if he had any tips for rapid recovery after my recent HM. He said the general rule is to allow a day per mile of the race!

Same here. Even though I'm not a fast swimmer (by any stretch of imagination), it's actually the discipline that I enjoy the most and and doesn't really feel like I'm making an effort, even when I am (if that makes sense). Maybe I'm not making that much of an effort...
Anyway, I'm loving the swim workouts and still enjoying the runs. Had a bit more time this week with work not overloading me so much and managed to get two bike workouts in so far (even though they were short'ish' - one on the road and one on the spinning bike) and am planning a longer ride on sunday. So all good at the moment!

2013-05-23 2:48 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Someone sent me this today, loved it!
It probably applies to triathletes as well...
http://www.shelterpub.com/_fitness/_running/run_5_stages.html
2013-05-23 3:37 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by tatous

Someone sent me this today, loved it!
It probably applies to triathletes as well...
http://www.shelterpub.com/_fitness/_running/run_5_stages.html

I like that. I think I can relate to it a lot, although I don't think I've quite reached the zen-like final stage yet.

Well done for getting some cycling done. Just keep gradually working it in and it'll come.
2013-05-23 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Anyone else racing this weekend?

Not a race, but I've just signed up for the 80 mile version of the cyclosportive on Saturday. I've got to be at work at 4pm, so I've got 6 hours for the cycling, which should be fine, but it's a very hilly route so I'm going to re-assess when I get to the turn off for the 50 mile route and if I have to I'll cut it short.

I'm really looking forward to it. This particular sportive has been recommended by a lot of friends (apparently there is good cake!) and I didn't think I'd be able to do it this year. It's mostly going to be used as a training ride, but it also means I'll have managed my goal of one single sport event in each sport this year, as well as my triathlons.
2013-05-23 3:59 PM

User image

Champion
Not racing this weekend either but I have my last big ride before IM (not including Honu 70.3 next weekend). Double run today. Ran a tough 13 miles with fairly decent hills this am and have about another 5 this evening. Last long run day before IM France! Pretty tired this week with all the training. It's good that my friend is super chillax and content with reading at the beach/deck/etc or Id be exhausted.
2013-05-23 4:04 PM

User image

Master
My pace for training is so incredibly slow for swimming, but my times have improved so much between last year's races and this year's that I'm OK with it as long as I'm putting in the work and doing the best I can. Running, some days I'm impressed with myself, other days I'm crawling. Biking, I don't know what the heck I'm doing on that thing!

No race this weekend, but I have a 2.5 mile swimming event that I'm looking forward to. I'm going to wear my GoPro and hopefully get some beautiful shots.

2013-05-23 6:54 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Expert

Randy - 25 x 100's. That's intense. I did 15 x 100's all out today.

Today was weird. I got up to go to the gym for a run/swim combo. 5 min into the run I lost all motivation, felt intensely exhausted, had a headache and decided to call it quits. I went home and slept for an hour and a half. Deep sleep. I then got up and felt a strong urge to go back to the Gym to complete this workout. I actually had a good workout and felt much better. Not sure what happened. Usually when I'm tired I'm able to get going and complete my training, albeit at a slower intensity. The only thing I can think is that I was very congested and sneezed multiple times last night, took a benadryl 50 mg at bedtime. I suspect this was the culprit. I should have known better!

I had a great 7 mile run in my new Hoka's. It wasn't until the last mile that I even thought about my feet. I'm growing into these well. I now wish they had Hoka dress shoes to wear at work!

So my youngest son Drew just graduated high school last night. It was a great celebration. Where did all the time go? I can't believe both my children are out of high school. Am I getting old? Please don't bother answering.........

Jim
2013-05-23 8:02 PM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jim-our children are getting older. We are not! We've had back to back HS graduations the last 2 years and will have an empty nest next Fall. Hard to believe. Congrats!

Finished a hard bike session this evening. Tomorrow is an easy run and another swim before I head into a big training weekend.

2013-05-23 9:26 PM

Hudson Valley Region
Brutal commute today. It took me 3 hours to get home. Early holiday travelers plus some rain equals misery.

I did about 30 minutes on the lifecycle at the gym because it has those built-in HR sensors (I know they can be inaccurate but I figured they would be good enough). My initial plan was to do 10.5 miles but it I just didn't want to sit in the gym for 40+ minutes. I did closer to 7 miles. Then some intervals on the treadmill.

2013-05-23 10:24 PM
in reply to: thirdstation

User image

New user
Thank you guys for the tapering direction. That really helps! I have group rides Saturday and Monday. After that I will decrease and do the next Saturday short ride to check out my bike.
I will soon be a triathlete!
2013-05-24 12:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by thirdstation

Brutal commute today. It took me 3 hours to get home. Early holiday travelers plus some rain equals misery.

I did about 30 minutes on the lifecycle at the gym because it has those built-in HR sensors (I know they can be inaccurate but I figured they would be good enough). My initial plan was to do 10.5 miles but it I just didn't want to sit in the gym for 40+ minutes. I did closer to 7 miles. Then some intervals on the treadmill.

Wow, I thought my commute was bad last night when it took me an hour to get home. My proudest moment was actually getting out running after a long day, long (for me) drive in pouring rain with hail mixed in. Got home and the weather was relatively clear so I figured if I was going to get out I should go straight away. So I literally walked in the house, got changed and walked back out again. Wasn't a great run, but glad I made it out for it.

Today I have no training planned. It's my birthday, so my husband and I are going out for a nice quiet dinner tonight before my early start for the sportive in the morning.

2013-05-24 6:39 AM

Hudson Valley Region

Originally posted by thirdstation

Wow, I thought my commute was bad last night when it took me an hour to get home. My proudest moment was actually getting out running after a long day, long (for me) drive in pouring rain with hail mixed in. Got home and the weather was relatively clear so I figured if I was going to get out I should go straight away. So I literally walked in the house, got changed and walked back out again. Wasn't a great run, but glad I made it out for it.

Today I have no training planned. It's my birthday, so my husband and I are going out for a nice quiet dinner tonight before my early start for the sportive in the morning.

Happy Birthday!
2013-05-24 8:00 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Rachel-HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Hope that everyone has a safe and fun holiday weekend.

Early run on the treadmill done and a swim scheduled for lunch. Weekend has 3.5-4 hour bike with lots of long interval work then 30 minute brick run on Saturday. Sunday is an hour on the bike at moderate effort immediately followed by 1 hour 40 minute run that includes 8 X 1 mile intervals at HIM pace.  By the time its all over this may be one of my biggest training weeks ever. Its nothing for you IM types but its alot for this old man.

2013-05-24 8:55 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Rachel, Happy Birthday. Enjoy.

Headed out now to go up North. Internet is spotty. I will check in as possible.

Happy training and racing this weekend. Blanda, enjoy that swim. Sounds cool.
2013-05-24 11:40 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Rachel do have a very Happy Birthday.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88