BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-03-19 7:42 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED
Originally posted by strikyr

Dirk thanks for the update on your knee. Again I hope the surgery goes well and you have a quick recovery so you can get back to focusing on your training for IMWI. I really do think you'll be fine in regards to your run training regardless of when you are able to start.

I decided to take a rest day yesterday and I passed on the swim. It pained me not to go as Monday is the only day without classes but it was definitely the right call. I was totally exhausted and figured it wouldn't be very productive. I am planning to go later on this evening to make up that swim. My plan for this week is to back off a little bit with the training. I won't say it will be a recovery week but after 10 solid weeks I need to let up a little this week on the intensity and duration.

I also have to decided whether I want to complete the outseason or start the IM training plan. I will be 20 weeks out on 3/30, as of now it's less than 22 weeks to go until IMMT. I will probably complete 12 of the 13 weeks of the outseason plan and then transition to the 20 week IM plan. The only thing is the first two weeks of the IM training plan I'll probably not swim. It's not the worse thing in the world I can probably get a full rest day and get an extra run or bike in for that time.

Did you end up getting your swim in? If not don't beat yourself up about it, in our busy lives sometimes we just need to take a day off of training to give our bodies a little extra rest!

2014-03-19 8:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
I busted my S## t on Monday doing box jumps, and my shin is pretty sore the trainer raised the box to I think he said 30 inches, I looked away for a split second, wrong move.... My ride was ok yesterday we will see how the run goes today

Went to the Dr yesterday, apparently my test shows I am getting Gluten from something Iam eatting pretty frequently, and that is probably whyniam not feeling 100% I am really careful about what I eat so it's kind of frustrating, at least we figured it out!

I did power ramps yesterday, 14 of them ranging from 115-150% and I felt pretty good when I finished. I cannot wait to get outside and see how these workouts have affected my riding, this is the last week of the plan I choose on TR, so now Iam trying to figure out which one to go to next, for me follwing a laid out plan works best, no guessing which ride to do, i am thinking a build plan, folowed by a century ride plan......I also want to give Dirks ride he got from his coach a try ( wish I could out a scared face here) lol

Edited by Jo63 2014-03-19 8:15 AM
2014-03-19 9:06 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
JoAnne hope you're feeling better and you're shin is alright. It sounds like you are making great progress with your bike fitness. You'll definitely see the improvements when you start riding outdoors. Just the fact that you are completing those workouts and programs is a good sign of that.

I didn't swim on Monday but I went last night and it was actually a pretty good session. I swam a lot harder than I thought I'd be able to and am glad I got over there to get the work in. I've was totally trashed after this weekend and like Matt explained in his post about the way he was feeling I can say that would pretty much sum it for me. My legs have been totally shot.

I'm feeling like a 1000 times better today. My legs are a little sore still but feeling much better. I am planning to do a 60 minute threshold workout on the bike and follow it up with an easy paced 30 minute run this evening.
2014-03-19 1:35 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Dirk, Knowing that God has placed you in a situation for a reason can give you so much peace, and I'm glad that He is giving that peace to you.  I'll be praying for a sucessful surgery and a full and speedy recovery. Your long therm health is so much more important than this year's IMWI.

Run training for me is going well. I was able to get 3 runs in last week of 4 miles each.  The next couple of weeks I'll be adding miles to one of them for my "long run". My 12 week focused training plan for the HIM in July starts in about 1 month so I'm trying to reach the base miles over the next 4 weeks which should be no problem as long as I can stay injury free.

2014-03-19 2:11 PM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

NH
John, that sounds like a good idea to get the long run mileage up to prep for the HIM plan.

Tony, and all, that rest sounds like it really helped you. I want to remind everyone that rest and recovery is CRITICAL. You don't improve while training, you improve while recovering. I'm not saying to back off whenever you're tired or sore, because we'd never train, but be smart and accept that you need to recover to really hit the correct intensities and durations. We stress our bodies, then we recovery from that stress and improve. It's ok to take a day off, and it's especially ok to take a leg day off. If you are missing your interval numbers, or it's way over the top harder than it should be, it might be time to think about a little rest and recovery.

And Joanne, this is where the calorie deficit has to be taken into account. If you are running a significant calorie deficit, that's stress on your body. So is work stress, life stress, etc. So everyone be aware that all of these stresses, of which our training is just one, albeit a major one, add up to the stress you are inflicting on your body. And everyone has a max level they can handle, especially given your ability to really rest. Keep in mind, one reason pros can train so hard and with so much volume is they nap almost every day as part of their recovery!

Train hard and be smart.
2014-03-19 8:05 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by wbayekJohn, that sounds like a good idea to get the long run mileage up to prep for the HIM plan.Tony, and all, that rest sounds like it really helped you. I want to remind everyone that rest and recovery is CRITICAL. You don't improve while training, you improve while recovering. I'm not saying to back off whenever you're tired or sore, because we'd never train, but be smart and accept that you need to recover to really hit the correct intensities and durations. We stress our bodies, then we recovery from that stress and improve. It's ok to take a day off, and it's especially ok to take a leg day off. If you are missing your interval numbers, or it's way over the top harder than it should be, it might be time to think about a little rest and recovery.And Joanne, this is where the calorie deficit has to be taken into account. If you are running a significant calorie deficit, that's stress on your body. So is work stress, life stress, etc. So everyone be aware that all of these stresses, of which our training is just one, albeit a major one, add up to the stress you are inflicting on your body. And everyone has a max level they can handle, especially given your ability to really rest. Keep in mind, one reason pros can train so hard and with so much volume is they nap almost every day as part of their recovery!Train hard and be smart.
recovery? Day off? What is the foreign language you are speaking

2014-03-20 11:55 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Tony,  I'm sitting at my computer waiting on the Flo site watching the timer run down.  I'll be racing you to those wheels!!!

2014-03-20 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Nice easy lunch time run, counting flowers and watching capt'n kangaroo and not paying attention to my watch. Finished at an 8:40 pace, but felt like a 9:40 pace!!
2014-03-20 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Tony,  I'm a Flo winner!  What about you?

I got a 90 rear and a 60 front and didn't change the bearings to ceramic but I considered it. I kept refreshing the page from about 3 minutes out and at 30 seconds remaining, I refreshed and was in.  Busted right to the rear 90 to make sure I got that size on the rear first because I know the 90's seem to have been the most popular.  Once I saw that one was in my cart I jumped right to the 60's and got the front right away.  I was probably only shopping for 2 minutes (TOPS) before checking out.

I no sooner pressed the submit button and I got a confirmation email.  Now I just have to wait for them to arrive and some decent weather to try them.

Let me know how you fared.

2014-03-20 12:13 PM

User image

NH
Congrats Dirk, and enjoy those wheels. No excuses now!

How did you make out Tony?

Matt, 8:40 was a count the flowers pace??? You are officially a runner. Even in a pink tutu.
2014-03-20 12:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Hola everyone. I'm back from Ecuador and have caught up on all posts. I really need to get in on some of those 15 X 1's on the bike...

Anyway, I wish I had time to type all of the God stories from my trip but I am swamped trying to catch up on work stuff and spend time with family... and then try to get some WO's in! We saw God do a lot of really cool stuff on this trip. Some of the areas we were in are unreached. Others are not accepting of Christianity. When people become Christians, it's common for them to lose their job, etc. Recently, one tribe took their Christians out in the woods, beat them and stripped them naked... leaving them to return to their village naked and embarrassed. Really makes me appreciate the religious freedom we have. We got to plant a church when we were there and they had 65 people attend the first service after we left, so really excited about that.
We also got to go to the Nate Saint house (you'll know who that is if you've seen the movie: End of the Spear). Again, wish I had time to type everything that we heard and saw. Thanks for all the prayers!

Matt, my advice is pick out the tutu... your HIM training is more important than this bet.

Dirk, been praying for you brother. Wow, you are killing some WO's.

Dirk/Tony, did either of you get the FLO's? is this the preorder? When will you have them by?

Jo, great to hear your sis is recovering nicely. Lifting her up in prayer right this moment.

2014-03-20 12:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by wbayekCongrats Dirk, and enjoy those wheels. No excuses now!How did you make out Tony?Matt, 8:40 was a count the flowers pace??? You are officially a runner. Even in a pink tutu.
1st, what is so special about FLO wheels? What do they do?

and surprisingly Warren that was a counting flowers pace, not sure how. My HR monitor pooped out on me so I don't know those details, but RPE was extremely easy. And the pink tutu is not set yet, I have a few tricks up my sleeve that may save me, for one I understand this is a long season and that busting out at 110% effort is not the best way to go. For instance my buddy felt he had to go out and run 7:30pace every day, yesterday he was complaining his legs were sore and couldn't move. I smiled and continued on to my next WO!

Will, the trip sounds great. And you are right we are lucky to have the religious freedom, unfortunately I think sometimes it is taken for granted.
2014-03-20 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Damn you Dirk!!!!! LOL

Seriously congrats on the new wheels Dirk I had no such luck I couldn't even get one wheel. Those things sold out in less than 5 minutes easy. I tried but when I got them in my cart they were out of stock. I am sooooooooo disappointed

Matt the FLO wheels are as good as the high end wheels like the Zipp's but for a 1/3 of the price. They are a heavier but they are as areodynamic from my understanding and provide for a good ride along with the speed you'd expect to get from them.
2014-03-20 12:45 PM

User image

NH
Originally posted by mambos

Originally posted by wbayekCongrats Dirk, and enjoy those wheels. No excuses now!How did you make out Tony?Matt, 8:40 was a count the flowers pace??? You are officially a runner. Even in a pink tutu.
1st, what is so special about FLO wheels? What do they do?

and surprisingly Warren that was a counting flowers pace, not sure how. My HR monitor pooped out on me so I don't know those details, but RPE was extremely easy. And the pink tutu is not set yet, I have a few tricks up my sleeve that may save me, for one I understand this is a long season and that busting out at 110% effort is not the best way to go. For instance my buddy felt he had to go out and run 7:30pace every day, yesterday he was complaining his legs were sore and couldn't move. I smiled and continued on to my next WO!

Will, the trip sounds great. And you are right we are lucky to have the religious freedom, unfortunately I think sometimes it is taken for granted.

FLOs are a really good value. Good wheels at an outstanding price.

Are there any rules on the race itself? I was thinking you could pull a Tonya Harding at the start... I'M KIDDING FOLKS!

Great to hear from you Will, and I have the same response to every mission trip me or anyone I know has been on. Welcome home, but I bet you'll go back!

2014-03-20 12:55 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Will welcome back and glad you had a safe and it sounds like a very productive trip. Glad to see that you and your group were able to make an impact on the people there. I'd have to agree we are pretty fortunate to be able to have the religious freedoms we do here. That is just terrible to hear about the treatment of people converting to Christianity.

Matt sounds like you had a great run and yeah you are definitely in this thing for the long haul. I don't think it's a given you'll be wearing any pink tutu. It's a long season and it sounds like you are being very smart about how you approach your training.

Warren good advice the other day on rest and recovery. Always a good reminder as we tend to take rest and recovery for granted but it is very important. I think the extra rest helped me alot. I'll probably need a few days before I transition into the 20 week IM training plan. My friends were not kidding when they said the EN outseason program was tough.
2014-03-20 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by mambos Nice easy lunch time run, counting flowers and watching capt'n kangaroo and not paying attention to my watch. Finished at an 8:40 pace, but felt like a 9:40 pace!!

Solid running!  Things appear to be coming along very well for you.  When you race your HIM you're going to be solid!  Keep drinking the kool aid!

2014-03-20 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by wbayek Congrats Dirk, and enjoy those wheels. No excuses now! How did you make out Tony? Matt, 8:40 was a count the flowers pace??? You are officially a runner. Even in a pink tutu.

Oh yes there is!  My knee!  If I need to pull an excuse out of the bag I might use the ol' "my knee hurt today" excuse.  If that doesn't work it could be the "oh I still have an aluminum bike frame."  And still if I have to go deeper I have the "my components are still not as good as they could be."  

Give me long enough and I'll find a few more in my bag of excuses.

2014-03-21 12:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

There is always the it was too cold (or too hot excuse too)

The first day of spring hit us with a vengence yesterday. When I went out for my run at 4:30 in the afternoon it was 80 degrees. It was the first time I have felt "hot" on a run in quite a while. The weather was so nice that I snuck in 20 minutes on the bike right after the run before I had to leave for Kung Fu class. I'm going to need to switch my runs to morning only. After all day at work my legs feel pretty fatigued running right after work.

I still haven't made it over to the YMCA to start a new membership (haven't been a member for a year now). So still no swim time yet, but I have to get going soon since my plan starts in April. Need to get that base built.

2014-03-21 9:52 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
John you can send that 80 degree weather over here. We're going to be in the 60's tomorrow but it is supposed to rain in the morning. I'm hoping I can get a ride in on the MTN bike. It's been forever since I've been able to do that so I'm hoping that if it does rain it passes through and I can get out there in the afternoon.

I also pulled the trigger on some new wheels since I wasn't able to get in on the FLO's I wound up getting the Zipp 60's which are pretty similiar. They were more money as well but were pretty much at the high end of my price range. The LBS had a set in stock so I could've had them tomorrow but I ordered new tires and a new cassette so I'll wait until that comes in and have them install all that stuff for me. I can't wait to try them out but we need to get some warmer weather over here before I venture outdoors.
2014-03-22 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Ugh! We just had another fatality involving a bicycle and car. Earlier this week a 17yr old was riding his bike and hit by car. Driver states he did not even see the bike, it occurred around 7:30pm so probably blinded by the sun. Today a person on a bicycle was hit and killed, not sure of the details but the accident occurred on a stretch of road I frequent every few weeks on my long ride. It is not a busy road but not much of a shoulder either, basically a painted stripe and a drop-off.

this is an ugly reminder that people do not see, or even expect to see a bicycle on the road. As the weather warms and we get excited to ride outside, remember to be careful and attentive as possible. I currently do not have lights on my bike, but I think before I ride outside for the 1st time I am going to install something.

Be Safe Junkies!
2014-03-22 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Will, welcome back!!

Congratulation on the new sets of wheels.

Matt, that is terrible news, and a huge reminder for everyone to be super aware when biking outside!!

Matt, and Jeff, didn't you both have a race today? How did it go?

2014-03-23 6:47 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by pistuo Hola everyone. I'm back from Ecuador and have caught up on all posts. I really need to get in on some of those 15 X 1's on the bike... Anyway, I wish I had time to type all of the God stories from my trip but I am swamped trying to catch up on work stuff and spend time with family... and then try to get some WO's in! We saw God do a lot of really cool stuff on this trip. Some of the areas we were in are unreached. Others are not accepting of Christianity. When people become Christians, it's common for them to lose their job, etc. Recently, one tribe took their Christians out in the woods, beat them and stripped them naked... leaving them to return to their village naked and embarrassed. Really makes me appreciate the religious freedom we have. We got to plant a church when we were there and they had 65 people attend the first service after we left, so really excited about that. We also got to go to the Nate Saint house (you'll know who that is if you've seen the movie: End of the Spear). Again, wish I had time to type everything that we heard and saw. Thanks for all the prayers! Matt, my advice is pick out the tutu... your HIM training is more important than this bet. Dirk, been praying for you brother. Wow, you are killing some WO's. Dirk/Tony, did either of you get the FLO's? is this the preorder? When will you have them by? Jo, great to hear your sis is recovering nicely. Lifting her up in prayer right this moment.

It sounds like the mission trip was more than successful.  I imagine everyone is grateful to see all of you back home and back to normal-ish.  I hope the things that your youth group saw and did there will change their lives forever.  The mission trips I have been on have left an unimaginable impression on me.  Our lives in this country's "squallor" are rich mans quarters in many parts of the world.  God has truly blessed the West.  The West has also been blessed for the freedoms we have to worship the god we choose. Something else many other parts of the world don't share.

Thanks for the prayer from you and everyone about my knee or well about me in general.  I'm never one to discouraging someone for praying for me!  I need all I can get!!  All the time!

2014-03-23 6:52 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by JonnyVero

There is always the it was too cold (or too hot excuse too)

The first day of spring hit us with a vengence yesterday. When I went out for my run at 4:30 in the afternoon it was 80 degrees. It was the first time I have felt "hot" on a run in quite a while. The weather was so nice that I snuck in 20 minutes on the bike right after the run before I had to leave for Kung Fu class. I'm going to need to switch my runs to morning only. After all day at work my legs feel pretty fatigued running right after work.

I still haven't made it over to the YMCA to start a new membership (haven't been a member for a year now). So still no swim time yet, but I have to get going soon since my plan starts in April. Need to get that base built.

I will oppose Tony on the weather change.  I want warmer temps but I'll take the slow change of 50-60's before the warmer temps of summer move in.  The summer of 2012 began for most of us in Feb when we saw some 80 degree temps that rolled right into upper 90's and heat indices in the 100's.  Keep it slow momma nature!

You'd better grab that pass to the Y soon.  Get that swimming up and running, I don't want to see you missing anything as you get ready for your HIM.

2014-03-23 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by mambos Ugh! We just had another fatality involving a bicycle and car. Earlier this week a 17yr old was riding his bike and hit by car. Driver states he did not even see the bike, it occurred around 7:30pm so probably blinded by the sun. Today a person on a bicycle was hit and killed, not sure of the details but the accident occurred on a stretch of road I frequent every few weeks on my long ride. It is not a busy road but not much of a shoulder either, basically a painted stripe and a drop-off. this is an ugly reminder that people do not see, or even expect to see a bicycle on the road. As the weather warms and we get excited to ride outside, remember to be careful and attentive as possible. I currently do not have lights on my bike, but I think before I ride outside for the 1st time I am going to install something. Be Safe Junkies!

I think there are so many people texting or completely oblivious to what's going on while they're driving that these things are becoming ma little more common.  Combine that with the apparent decision by seemingly more and more people to get fit that more people are popping up on bikes on our roadways.  It's tragic regardless of how or why it occurs but it should highlight that we can all be gone in a moments notice.  Live life!  Love others!  But don't sit on the sidelines!  

HMW had a sale on lights yesterday!  You could have come over and gotten them 20% off and saved a little bit of cash.  Well, except for that little part about the gasoline to get here.  I looked at getting another light but I already have some on each bike and I've spent enough money recently, as not by Lis.

I did buy some nutrition for 20% off yesterday.  I am planning on trying EFS for this season after getting so many recommendations from other in my club.  The ratio of electrolytes when compared to Heed is substantially different and this seems to have proven itself pretty well to those that have raced long course using it.  

2014-03-23 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by DirkP

Originally posted by mambos Ugh! We just had another fatality involving a bicycle and car. Earlier this week a 17yr old was riding his bike and hit by car. Driver states he did not even see the bike, it occurred around 7:30pm so probably blinded by the sun. Today a person on a bicycle was hit and killed, not sure of the details but the accident occurred on a stretch of road I frequent every few weeks on my long ride. It is not a busy road but not much of a shoulder either, basically a painted stripe and a drop-off. this is an ugly reminder that people do not see, or even expect to see a bicycle on the road. As the weather warms and we get excited to ride outside, remember to be careful and attentive as possible. I currently do not have lights on my bike, but I think before I ride outside for the 1st time I am going to install something. Be Safe Junkies!

I think there are so many people texting or completely oblivious to what's going on while they're driving that these things are becoming ma little more common.  Combine that with the apparent decision by seemingly more and more people to get fit that more people are popping up on bikes on our roadways.  It's tragic regardless of how or why it occurs but it should highlight that we can all be gone in a moments notice.  Live life!  Love others!  But don't sit on the sidelines!  

HMW had a sale on lights yesterday!  You could have come over and gotten them 20% off and saved a little bit of cash.  Well, except for that little part about the gasoline to get here.  I looked at getting another light but I already have some on each bike and I've spent enough money recently, as not by Lis.

I did buy some nutrition for 20% off yesterday.  I am planning on trying EFS for this season after getting so many recommendations from other in my club.  The ratio of electrolytes when compared to Heed is substantially different and this seems to have proven itself pretty well to those that have raced long course using it.  

x2 on what Dirk said. Life is pretty short live it well while you can. Drik let us know how you like the EFS products and if they work for you.

Matt I really hate reading things like this and it seems to be happening with more and more frequency. This past week a woman here in Garden City, LI was struck and killed by a car while out running. They have yet to indentify her as she had no ID on her. Be safe while out riding and running outdoors as the weather gets warmer and we start taking the training outdoors. Make sure you carry some form of ID on you if God forbid something should happen to you. The best investment you can make is getting something like a Road ID. It's cheap in comparison to all the other gear and equipment which we purchase and it may help save your life one day.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.