BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-03-20 5:18 AM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but you can still sneak in...
Morning all

There may be something in this climate change malarkey that keeps getting talked about. Yesterday it was brilliant sunshine. Today there is eight inches of snow on the ground, blizzards on the way to work and it is minus 3. A week ago my brother was sunbathing in his local park. My little corner of the world has gone mad!

Little domestic difficulties at the weekend so fairly light on the training this week (two broken fingers from a slammed door) so am confined to the bike and running which is a shame as I planned to get out swimming properly at last.

Pene asked why each of us decided to do this. A very good question.

I was the fat kid at school. Always picked last for any sporting event which, as I went to a largely sports driven school, made for an interesting few years. Left at sixteen and slummed around various jobs before deciding on becoming a lawyer. After eight years I realised that I had an aptitude for pushing myself and started exploring the other things that I could do. Snowboarding, climbing, mountains, horse riding etc have all become things that I am interested in and can do to a greater or lesser degree of competence but last year one of my skiing friends roped a bunch of us into a sprint triathlon nearby. Didn’t train at all, instead preferring to approach it like my exams and tried to cram all the training into the last month or so. At the event I realised that the event was merely validation of the training and I had absolutely bloody loved both the training and the event itself. So much, the same team are doing the event again this year. In a fit of exuberance I signed up for the Monaco 70.3 within a couple of days (having fortunately missed the Florida IronMan entry deadline) and here I am.

As I have gone on I have become more aware of deeper reasons for doing this. My mum died two years ago in a diving accident in the Caribbean and we found out that she had suffered a massive heart attack for some reason (shock probably) and this was my first real taste of mortality. It made me think a bit about the quality, not just the quantity of life. Also one of my friends who did the sprint with me is a combat veteran (UK Special Forces etc) and tells me that since he left the forces he has never felt more alive than when he is training and competing in triathlons. Never really been in touch with the reasons for doing things so this was quite a challenge in itself.

I still am the fat kid (just not at school) but I have a hobby that I love, that gives me a goal and that lets me talk to guys like you which really improves my day.

2007-03-20 5:25 AM

User image

Expert
Rob--it was www.bestbreathingexercises.com, but the lady wants $50 for her exercises. Since I'm close to living in a van these days, I just signed up for her email list. They pretty much give you all the info that way, just a bit at a time. But, I warn you, she'll email you every day, and sometimes twice! I just think deep breathing in general is a good idea. I catch myself holding my breath from stress all the time. Or breathing lots more shallow than is good for you. I did buy this breathing gizmo some time back, but didn't find it helpful. It was advertised somewhere with triathlon stuff. Wouldn't waste your money on it.

The most I have ever gone up to on a treadmill is 6mph. I WOULD lose my supper at 8.5! Or I'd fall on my nose and skin it all up Well, there's a challenge for me now--see if I can eventually make my legs go that fast!

Here's a general running Q---When can your lungs keep up enough to go faster? I mean, I'm like a gasping fish out of water or a big panting cat when I push up the speed. I have to just hang on and do like 1-2 minute intervals, praying the whole time that I can just make it a few seconds more! Someone tell me that eventually those silly lungs can do better, please. Or I might as well just hang it up right now--or resign to never do faster than a 12 minute mile.....
2007-03-20 5:25 AM
in reply to: #729640

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
prof40 - 2007-03-20 11:07 AM

I'm not sure about what officially happens after April 1, but I plan on keeping this going until we all grow bored with each other and walk away. If you've read the posts, you know that this team has many strong personalities willing to share and compare experiences/ideas/tips. It doesn't seem fair that the mentor experiment would end before most of us do our first race of the summer. So with that said, keep lurking -- and posting -- and we'll just play this out day by day. Team, is that okay with you? No one would reject a new member, right?

Prof

I am so glad that you are going to keep this going until we all get bored bored with each other. I am looking forward to Pene getting married (to some non tri literate computer geek!), BGT having a sweet little baby and you finally kicking your cookie addiction!

cmckee, welcome. Don't lurk, post. I hope that you will get something out of this program. I have and I think others have too. Above all else, I think we seem to just like each other (!) and that can't be bad.

As an intro why don't you tell us why you decided to do this tri thing?

Edited by Mark Stanley 2007-03-20 5:26 AM
2007-03-20 6:21 AM

User image

Expert
Hey Mark, don't think I'm getting married any time soon, and maybe never, as the fellows seem to get younger and younger, farther and farther away, and I'm immersing myself into all this stuff! I did get asked out last week by the ironman, but declined because I wanted to run instead! Now how's that for a turnaround! A few months ago, I would have totally rearranged my schedule and twisted myself into knots for some hot dude. Guess my priorities have changed Sorry to hear about your broken fingers. Reminds me of my marriage. I was the fat kid that got picked last, too. But looking back at the photos, I wasn't nearly as fat as I thought I was. You can go to your next class reunion an ATHLETE and laugh at all the losers--plus you can sue them if they call you names now! Hah!

Maybe I should have been a shrink?

Welcome thin mints girl! We are a bit weird here, but we mean well
2007-03-20 10:17 AM
in reply to: #729653

User image

Tennessee

Thanks - Truthfully, I spent the last 3 years losing baby weight and getting back into shape (and curbing the cookie intake :-)  I hit a plateau 7 pounds and 5 fat percentages short of my goal.  A friend suggested I try tri - I was used to running - and recreational biking - very little swimming tho'.  I have breast redux surgery scheduled 5 weeks out (hope that's not TMI) and really want to get there.  I have gotten interested in it for its own sake tho - find I'd actually like to do it, not just train for it.  Obviously, the surgery will sideline me for a few weeks, but after that (assuming I can figure it out) I plan to really study the training plans and stick to one.

My hubby avoids anything that smacks of exertion, kids are still too young to pace me, and there is little interest in this kind of thing where we live now, so I thought a nice community of fellow semi-fanatics might be just the thing.  And that's why I'm here!

2007-03-20 12:11 PM

User image

Regular
last weeks totals sorry so late:

S 1250
B 13.5
R 4.2
i took 2 days off for feelin well done

2007-03-20 4:10 PM

User image

Expert
CMKEE--Don't worry, nothing is too much for THIS group! If you want to lose those last pounds, you might check out the fitday.com site to track nutrition and the activity logs. I really like it so far.

MIKE--Glad to see you back! It sure is okay to take a few days off. I need to learn to do that a bit more....

Just got an email about a Women's only cycling workshop this Thursday to go over bike maintenance (and fixing flats). Which is stuff I was a bit worried about, but was trying not to think about so as not to jinx myself. My ex handled the bike maintenance before (it was one of the FEW things he was good for--he didn't even work the last 10 years we were together). I'll be in LaCrosse Thursday eve anyway for the kids' swimming lessons, so it will be perfect! Just LOVE it when the Universe takes care of me

Think tonight will be a yoga/pilates/stretching on the rollers night. That should be enough! It's just too windy and cold to take Persephone out for a spin yet, but I've got the Itch!!!!

HAPPY SPRING EVERYONE!!!! Bring on the warmer weather
2007-03-20 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
WEEKLY TOTALS:

Whoa, take a look at these numbers!

S 51,195 yards
B 1,335.33 miles
R 277.38 miles

Nice job, everyone!
2007-03-20 8:13 PM
in reply to: #730619

User image

Tennessee

Thank you, Phoenix - good to know

I added your blog to my "ones to watch" thingy today, so I will follow your progress with interest and for inspiration.  Thanks for the website reference - I will definitely check it out.

(I never even thought about things like having flats or whatnot - & tho' I still wear all the scars I earned wiping out as a kid, I haven't ridden crazy enough to do it in years.  Is it ok to wear knee and elbow pads, or do they slow you down and look uncool or something?)

2007-03-20 10:07 PM

User image

Minneapolis
two days of no working out but getting some much needed rest really has me in a tizzy. I feel better when I move my body but truth be told, after runnung 5 miles on Sunday my red bike ( i just typed red bike to cut to the chase) needed a rest day on Monday. And today well, I got up started geting dressed and then laid back down for another hour and a half. Tommorw I am committing to go on a outdoor bike ride (real ride not my behind). I will leave my house by 7:30am , the sun will be up and I should be able to get a good 10 -15 miles in. I have a mini tri in a few weeks and I do nto feel I am ready. Got to get motivated!

Okay time for bed. BGT
2007-03-21 2:18 AM

Veteran
Ontario
^ good luck there! 730am doesn't happen in my house unless it has been carried over from the night before lol.

Freezing butt cold here today. BUT! It is officially spring now so that means nice weather is on the way it must.

And the good news I DO have, is that I have reached my short-term goal of 225lbs! I plan to lose a little more while building muscle hopefully, but this new weight allows me to run minimum weight a Formula Libra car which I am now booked for in May. I cannot afford the whole season but this should settle me down for a little while I hope.

185hp and only 1200 lbs with me and a tank of gas in it. Tops out at 255km/h which I hope to see in May :D

(thecar2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
thecar2.jpg (27KB - 30 downloads)

2007-03-21 6:13 AM

User image

hey guys i reckon i have a new nickname! "The ROCK" why?? cos i went swimming and i sucked nah it wasnt that bad first time i really put the effort in and i made 300 meters in 7 minutes which im very pleased with. I was lookin at the times for the tri and im 2 minutes under the last places swimming times over all i swam about 900 meters back to it tommoorw

thats all
cheers
malph... the rock!
2007-03-21 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
I just love the enthusiasm that drips off the screen when you read these posts!

CMCKEE--Wow! I don't even know how to blog someone or add them to a list, but I now feel rather special--thanks I think I'm too vain to wear knee and elbow pads, but they are a good idea........

BGT--I know EXACTLY how you feel! The first few days after a lot of exercise I feel WIRED, then I CRASH. I crashed last night after Yoga, Pilates on a Roller and some chamomile tea. Stayed sleeping where I laid down and moaned and groaned about getting up. My 4 year old pesters me, so I don't need an alarm clock. "Mommy, can we go downstairs now, pleeeaaase?". Usually, the "I have to go potty", gets me vertical. This morning I was also FAMISHED, so lacking the usual breakfast items (no bread, milk, eggs or toaster strudels), I started making spaghetti.....then I found pancake mix So.......I had BOTH!!! Everyone make piggy noises now

ROBB--COOL CAR!!!! Just don't go getting yourself hurt now! (yes, mom) Tell us more about racing. Hey, it's a sport! Congrats on the weight loss. I'm jealous that men can just think about losing it, or cut out one beer or piece of bread a day and drop it like crazy! But, good job, nonetheless!

MALPH--You are doing great with the swim! No one is worse at it than me, but I figure I'm there to make the others look good!! It takes more courage to do something you aren't good at, don't you think? There are people that won't even try a tri because they are afraid to look bad or do something they are mediocre at. I'm mediocre at everything, so I just go ahead and do it and trust that some day maybe I won't be mediocre anymore! And if I am just a slow triathlete, oh well, at least my great grandkids can say I was a triathlete. And I'll probably be in good enough shape to see my great grandkids! My dad died at 44 (I was 14), so I figure I better take care of myself.

Jeeps, now I have exactly 25 minutes to take a shower, get dressed, get all three kids dressed and their stuff gathered----gotta GO!!!!!
2007-03-21 7:36 AM

User image

Minneapolis
it is 7:33 and still too dark to go out on bike alone with my ipod. So here is the deal, no frog poop, I am going into to work from now unil 4:00, leaving right at 4:00 and and going for my bike ride. I swear. I would say girl scout promise, but as we know I hate the cookie mafia ( sorry prof and cmkee). So I give a big girl promise to work out today!!!. BGT
2007-03-21 11:34 AM

User image

Tennessee

Phoenix - you are special    -- and tactful - but I get the message anyway:  knee & elbow pads = dorky.  My 5-year old has been trying to tell me this when I make her wear hers - didn't know I was scarring her for life.

BGT - No offense taken re: The Cookie Mafia - it's true, it's like a satanic cult - but the cookies... Plus, I was initiated into the "family" as a child, and you know what they say about that, "Once youse in, youse don't get out."

Ok, off to eat another big yummy bowl of protein dreck and berries.  34 days till G-force, and still 6.5 pounds to lose....bleh.

2007-03-21 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
You know, I feel like I'm in Special Ed. when it comes to this triathlete stuff. I've asked MORE stupid questions, spent more hours perusing the net for tips, and yakked with more people about all this than I EVER thought possible. However, I can tell I'm getting closer to my goals, because the Goddess Kali--Hindu goddess of CHAOS AND CHANGE is kicking my redbike lately! Yeah!!! After weathering MANY storms and going through many changes in my life so far, I can tell you that the more the yellowbike is up in the air, the closer you are to passing another of life's initiations

Mark--I think the smashed fingers are a sign from Kali. You ARE kicking redbike--maybe more than most of us, mileage wise. And you are going to experience some resistance from Satan, and others in your life. Only natural. Congratulations!

BGT--I was thinking of you all morning. I am so fortunate to have moved out of the city about 14 years ago, and I never even consider that there might be any danger lurking if I hop on my bike or go out to run. I've even left my office door unlocked (not intentionally, of course) for an entire weekend, and NOTHING was disturbed! There are little taverns all over this village and people sit on my office deck (handicapped accessible ramp) and drink, cause the beer cans are often left there. But, nothing was harmed. Amazing! You reminded me why on earth I'm living in this dinky little nowhere town--because my kids can play outside without fear, and I can forget and leave my doors unlocked.

Just think about all that we have done in a few months' time! We are swimming, biking and running. We are doing those things better, faster and longer. And we haven't gotten divorces, had child custody services take our children away, filed bankruptcy (yet), or been fired! We all have roofs overhead, food in our bellies (even if it is protein/berry dreck) and some adequate (or supreme-O) equipment! We are getting stronger, inside and out with all this training. And----we have some friends/cheerleaders here who are more than willing to send happy vibes, and perfect words of affirmation when we need them! LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

So, if Kali rears her rather ugly blue head, with all the extra arms and vicious appearance--you know you've made it, or are scarily close! Bring it on!!!!!!

Prof--haven't heard much from our Chieftain, El Capitano! How's it going on your end? You apparently have passed through Kali's intiation, and survived, as you've done all this already! I've been pondering how many hours we are all putting in here, and thinking that it is likely not going to be necessary to do as much training once we've gotten to a certain level of fitness and conditioning. Am I right here? (please tell me I am) I suppose it takes a lot more effort to go from couch potato to triathlete than it does to MAINTAIN. Of course, there is always something more to go for--mini tri to sprint tri to olympic tri, to half marathon, to full marathon to half ironman to full ironman. And, if you pass all that, I've heard about this race across a WHOLE desert! And one that is straight UP A MOUNTAIN. And then, there's the run across the whole desert AND straight up a mountain!! Not to mention Mark's race from the arch to wherever!

Was it CMCKEE that called us a group of semifanatics? Welcome to the looney bin

2007-03-21 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Hey all - Good work everyone. I've been following along but can't keep up enough for individual replies. Just have time for a quick question (probably to Prof, or to anyone with experience using a trainer):

How do you know where to set your resistance? I finally hooked up my Cateye on my bike on the trainer, and I was sucking wind at lower than my usual (Stationary bike or Cycleops computrainer) RPMs and MPH. V confusing, frustrating, and irritating. Does not make getting on the trainer any more attractive, let me tell you!

Snows melting here, so this will soon be an academic question, but I know I'll be wondering the same thing next winter. Any thoughts? Experiences to share? I think this may be a bee in Helen's bonnet, too...
2007-03-21 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
I'm bored! Somebody talk to me, please My body is just plain tired out. So, I'm trying to be good and listen to it. Tomorrow is another swim lesson, so I'll just have to sit on my hands tonight and rest. But, my mind is going a million miles an hour! There's a real connection between exercise and increased mental capacity according to Newsweek. Or I think that's where I saw it--supposed to stave off Alzheimer's, among other things. I'm still fighting this stupid neverending sinus infection, too. Get great amounts of stuff out many times a day. I'm swallowing tons of vitamin C with B's and this stuff the Amish recommended with colostrum and acidophilus. Apparently most of our immunity is in our gut! If you feed the good flora of your gut, you don't get sick as often. I hate being sick and it's really hard to make progress with the run when you can't breathe properly due to upper respiratory infection.

Blah, blah, blah. I really hope you all don't cringe when you see yet another message from phoenix girl here! I'm just bored tonight!
2007-03-21 8:20 PM

User image

Regular
OK. check this out. you may have heard of Goofy's race and 1/2 challenge at disney. 1/2 mary on saturday and full mary on sunday. here in rochester, ny there is a 5k saturday 3/31 and a 15k sunday 4/1. both benefit the same kids hospital, but the races are unrelated. i happened to have begun an association with the hospital with somehting called Hope In Motion. the plan is to get runners out there to raise awreness and funds for these kids. right now i am the only one.
well anyway here's my plan: the hospitla's mascot is named Sandy (cartoon girl with a cast on her leg). i am going to institiute my own Sandy's Race and a Third Challenge (5K sat/ 15K sun).
after the 5k i will then propose a merger to that race's director. oh and dont worry...i will get press on this.
i am not writing this for any kind of feedback...i am just bragging
2007-03-21 9:56 PM
in reply to: #732133

Veteran
Heh guys

-Like Kanders- I’m having a time (ha ha) with my Cateye or it may be the resistance on the bike. Normally- can spin about 25 km/hr- now its registering about 11- 13 km/hr. Tried adjusting the “what ya ma-call-its- ” (ie the components of the Cat eye- (heh what can I say I am not a tech’y type person) - all the functions appear to be working on the Cat eye- I can’t have lost that much biking speed in the last 6 months!!! I have some resistance set on the trainer- perhaps too much?? Any suggestions from you biker types???

-still planning on doing ‘the big’ run in May- thanks Mike for your words/assistance. Having a heck of a time staying motivated. Lots of family stuff going on- hard to fit in training when life gets super busy.

Talk later

-Helen

PS - its officially spring- YEH- but still cool here in SW On- I can hardly wait for the spring weather so I can get outside with my bike !!

2007-03-21 10:41 PM

Veteran
Ontario
Pene: You crack me up! I love your crazy posts they are so insightful! I am not kidding here you are a modern day prophet!

Mark: That sounds like an awesome idea. I have been toying with the idea of putting something like that on here or like pene's spinathon she did.
How 'bout this, if you get it going, you can sign me up for 5k! I am only a few hours from there I would love to take a driving trip in my new car to upstate NY, and could make this part of it for sure! Let me know what kind of dates you are looking at.

Heres my question to all:

What vitamins/supplements does everyone take? Every time I go into that section at the store theres like 9890381293 things to take and I have no idea whats what. I very rarely get sick and have a fairly good diet, but could always be better.

Right now I take a daily multi-vitamin and the occasional B12 at work if I am super tired (don't like caffeine). So what does everyone else pop these days?

2007-03-21 11:56 PM

User image

Tennessee

Phoenix - wow, girl  - I love you in your manic phase - lol.  My butt is dragging - shoulda been in bed 2 hours ago (Not enough sleep is always my big training bugaboo) - but you make me want to go goofy-running right down the street.

Mike - I think it's very cool what you're doing - definitely worth bragging rights.  BTW, I can run 26 miles, no sweat - it just takes me a week to do it. :-(

Robb - finally a question I can [understand] answer with authority - lol.  I quit taking all but a multi-vitamin a couple of weeks ago, to prep for surgery.  But usually (and I am really feeling the difference, esp. in energy and weight control) I take magnesium, calcium, fish oil, multivitamin, B12, baby aspirin, green tea, curcurmin, CoQ10, and grape seed.  (I don't know what the correct amounts would be for your size and gender.) Plus what I get from food.  It took me some time and lots of reading to decide on these.  The best place I could find good info online to send you is this:

http://www.realage.com/doctorCenter/questions.aspx?topicID=57&contentID=16501

It's by the docs who wrote, "You, the Owner's Manual."  Should get you started weeding down to what works for you.  I hope.

2007-03-22 4:02 AM
in reply to: #731957

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-03-21 2:47 PM

I've been pondering how many hours we are all putting in here, and thinking that it is likely not going to be necessary to do as much training once we've gotten to a certain level of fitness and conditioning. Am I right here? (please tell me I am)

I suppose it takes a lot more effort to go from couch potato to triathlete than it does to MAINTAIN. Of course, there is always something more to go for--mini tri to sprint tri to olympic tri, to half marathon, to full marathon to half ironman to full ironman. And, if you pass all that, I've heard about this race across a WHOLE desert! And one that is straight UP A MOUNTAIN. And then, there's the run across the whole desert AND straight up a mountain!! Not to mention Mark's race from the arch to wherever!

Of course you're right. Just make sure that you don't fall too far off the wagon at the end of the season, or it will feel like you're starting over next spring. However, even that is easier, since you know what you are capable of doing. And a bit infuriating, if your body doesn't respond as fast as you think it should.

And you've identified the second problem with challenges. Once you've completed the impossible one, you realize that it wasn't so bad, and then you'll hear about a longer race out there somewhere, and wonder if you can complete that one. It's a vicious race with yourself.

Next summer, I want to do the Liberty race -- from the Statue of Liberty in NYC to the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia. Five years ago, I would have thought that was nuts.

Edited by prof40 2007-03-22 4:03 AM
2007-03-22 4:14 AM
in reply to: #732133

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
kanders - 2007-03-21 4:18 PM

How do you know where to set your resistance? I finally hooked up my Cateye on my bike on the trainer, and I was sucking wind at lower than my usual (Stationary bike or Cycleops computrainer) RPMs and MPH. V confusing, frustrating, and irritating. Does not make getting on the trainer any more attractive, let me tell you!

The resistance on mine is a knob that you turn until the trainer rests against your rear wheel. The instructions said one and one-half (1 1/2) turns of the knob after it touches your wheel. Of course, the tighter you make it, the more resistance you have, the more effort to ride, etc.

Make sure your bike is nice and tight in the brackets, or you'll pop off and ride through the wall!
2007-03-22 4:19 AM
in reply to: #732582

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
HelenR - 2007-03-21 10:56 PM

Lots of family stuff going on- hard to fit in training when life gets super busy.

Ain't that the truth! I'm so far behind in what I wanted to get done this week.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72