BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 240

2011-11-27 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1137328

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH!
Billy, awesome fast time! wow! you rock, my man!

Welcome, John!!!! welcome to the madness Billy and Gary, feel free to contribute lol

Mav and Mark, i'm jealous and super excited for you!!!

Phil, nicely done!!!

LRR, I don't think I let you know about my last 2 (or 3?) finish lines? Sorrita!!!! I did Chicago Half-Marathon on Sept 11 (that one *may* be on the books), then Chicago Marathon on October 9, and Monster Dash Half-Marathon on Oct 29. Done with races for the year, but next year is all but planned

2011-11-27 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH!

Hello everyone! I feel honored to join the "cool kids" group here on BT. I am a 34 year old school teacher from upstate NY. I made a bet with myself that I would run the Boilermaker 15k before I had a baby. Well, I ran the race on July 9 and my baby was born on July 27!!! Now I need a new goal for next year.  I just bought an old Trek off of a local rider and have started training/dropping weight for next season.

John

Ok John, I am confused?  "You" had a baby and now you need a new goal?  Don't you think that the fact that you had a baby is good enough goal for any man?  I personally think its pretty awesome!!!!

Ok, I had to do it, you know everyone expected a smart @$$ comment, now you have it.

More seriously, welcome to our madness!

Hired my coach for next years Ironman, Louisville again, going for the sub 13 time.  We are meeting Tuesday night to iron out my races for next year and plan out my off season training plans.  My wife and I just got the man cave ready for the winter biking plan.  Actually very excited to get ready for IMLOU!

Also, I expect everyone that hasn't done it, to go to my albums and click on "ironman trophy", look at my grandson's pictures and tell me how good he looks, especially you Ruskie!

Billy

2011-11-27 8:10 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

John, Welcome!  You can ignore Billy, he evidently ran short on some of his medicine this week Tongue out

Billy, already checked out the pics, very cute!  Congrats again. 

With family here its been hard to get workouts in but managed.  Back to it this week.  A local trainer and our local Fleet feet started a new Sprint Tri and its one month before NOLA.  Was looking for a good warm up race but the usual one is 2.5 hrs away and this one is less than one hour away. 

Later.

2011-11-28 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada

Hi everyone - hope y'all had a nice Thanksgiving and survived Black Friday!

As I said I would, I've been checking in on the discussion thread every so often. Have been particularly interested in the goings on of our recent VillageIron People. Well done B-man and Amy - you are both amazing examples to us all!

Nice to see new members joining LRR!

Bryan sent me a FB message asking about my racing plans in 2012. I sent a response saying not sure but I committed to him and I am repeating that commitment to y'all that I WILL do at least one tri in 2012. After almost completely neglecting all swim, bike, run activities for the past year I am back into a bit of a groove - able to run without the calf pain I'd been experiencing for 5k. While not yet set in, winter is fast approaching so my bike is in the basement ready to be placed on the trainer and I will be starting back to the pool soon.

In other news, I have been taking piping lessons (as in bagpiping!) for a little over a year and after some good progress I seemed to plateau and got frustrated but I have recently made a bit of a breakthrough and so I have renewed hope that in 6-12 months I will be capable enough to play with the entry level pipe band here in Fredericton. No doubt there will be some members of the LRR collective who will wish to offer snide comments (funny how the pipes stir strong emotional response!) - bring it on, I can take it

And while I'm on the subject - don't forget that Wednesday is the Feast of St. Andrews, patron saint of Scotland and the Scottish diaspora. I will be proudly wearing my kilt that day! Hope those of you with scottish anscestry will be observing the day and for those who are not scottish - perhaps salute us with a wee dram of whisky!

2011-11-28 4:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
I'll sip the whiskey and not look up your skirt FBP
2011-11-28 4:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
John - welcome aboard. My advice - go work thru the 261 pages of history. Very few of us have read them all. A million questions are answered in there. My request - give us a bit more of your bio and what your race plans are as well as why you are here. Again - welcome aboard. You will get out of this what you put in - no bad questions. We all started right where you are. And not that long ago.

2011-11-28 5:06 PM

Uxbridge

Oh Bryan...add another finish line. I did a 5 mile turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. 53 minutes. Not bad for not having run in a year!!!!

PETE!!!!!!! Miss seeing your posts. Ill sip whiskey anytime too You will do a tri next year. FOR SURE OR WE WILL HAUNT  you!!!!

2011-11-28 6:05 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Billy, your grandson is SOOOOOOO CUTE!!! serioulsy, he's adorable. What's his name? thanks for reigniting my baby fever I still want a third, but my husband still doesn't... we are probably done, but if he said yes, I'd (unhappily) put my tri and marathon plans on hold in a heartbeat to get another one of these little precious ones

Pete, so good to see you!!!! come by more often, my friend! and... would love to try some of that maple syrup we once talked about..shoot... or was it honey? Either way, i remember it sounded fabulous, so if you ever want to share some of that goodness with the rest of the world, I'd paypal you some money?

John, congrats on your baby! boy or girl? Is it your first? LRR is right, tell us more about you, so we can welcome you (harass you) properly It gets crazy and busy in here, then it gets quiet, then busy again, but we are all here for the duration, so share away
--------------
Question, y'all: What would be a minimum price point for a decent tri bike to handle Ironman mileage well - speed and all that? I DO realize my OWN bike fitness is a huge factor, and i'm working on that, of course, but I also know that a bike plays a huge role, as well. My little beginner Jamis Satellite is not going to cut it for the IM, for sure. First, it's a starter road bike (around $800-900 retail), second, it's a road bike, so even with a custom fit, I can spend 5-10 min at a time in aero position, TOPS, and third... even though i have lots to acquire where the bike fitness is concerned, I can just tell this bike won't go too much faster.. just not enough power.

So... here is my plan, and I want your thoughs on it. I plan to keep using the Jamis for the next 3-4 years and stick to HIM distance (and Sprints and Olys, of course) and save up around $3K for a decent tri bike. Would this price point be decent enough? Also, new or used? I'm thinking if i got used, I could have a $4K bike for $3K... it'll get fitted either way, so does it matter much if it's new, safety-wise? Ok, thoughts, please!
2011-11-28 6:07 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Marianne, awesome time on your 5miler! How did the leg hold up?
2011-11-28 10:02 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Freddy!!! Glad to hear you back at it.  Actually there are a couple of tunes that sound great on bag pipes so if you could record Amazing Grace I would love it.

Mav - congrats on the 5 miler!!!!

Lena - sorry, I just could not resist responding (yep, Gary has an opinion on everything).  Granted I have not done a full IM just the swim and the bike on an IM but I did it on a 1998 QR Tequilo (the bike portion of course!).   For $3K-4K you can get yourself one heck of a bike (even better used) but I would suggest buying a Cervelo P2C, QR Lucero or CD0.1 or similar, etc slightly used and use the left over money to buy better wheels or a PowerTap, etc.  I think you deserve a better bike, just spend wisely and get all of the bling!

I bought my Seduza used for $1K and would not hesitate to do an IM on it (which I will do once the kids leave the nest).

2011-11-29 8:03 AM

User image

Expert

Wait a minute Gary, you "wouldn't hesitate to do and Ironman on it"?  I signed up for Louisville last night, what are you waiting for?

Your friend, Billy

2011-11-29 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3918617

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
elcaminobill - 2011-11-29 8:03 AM

Wait a minute Gary, you "wouldn't hesitate to do and Ironman on it"?  I signed up for Louisville last night, what are you waiting for?

Your friend, Billy

Billy, would love to but committed to the missus that I would hold off on that until the kids were a little more on their own.  So probably a couple of years out at least.  I figure when my son starts driving (2.5 yrs out) I can start the required training.  Until then 70.3 is as far as I go unless I do another relay.

2011-11-29 8:10 PM

User image

Expert
I know,  just playing with you Quarterback
2011-11-29 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3919731

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
soooo... Billy, now that you are done playin'... how about the issue at hand? Focus, man! Bike question!
2011-11-29 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3918354

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
GaryRM - 2011-11-28 10:02 PM

Lena - sorry, I just could not resist responding (yep, Gary has an opinion on everything).  Granted I have not done a full IM just the swim and the bike on an IM but I did it on a 1998 QR Tequilo (the bike portion of course!).   For $3K-4K you can get yourself one heck of a bike (even better used) but I would suggest buying a Cervelo P2C, QR Lucero or CD0.1 or similar, etc slightly used and use the left over money to buy better wheels or a PowerTap, etc.  I think you deserve a better bike, just spend wisely and get all of the bling!

I bought my Seduza used for $1K and would not hesitate to do an IM on it (which I will do once the kids leave the nest).

I don't know what you are sorry for, Gary, I am looking for everyone's input And that is exactly the sort of information I need.. Glad to hear that I don't need a $5000 bike to make it in the Ironman... honestly, the transition area at Racine was very intimidating... I felt like the simple susan with my little play bike next to all the fancy shmancy ones... isn't it crazy when a $900 bike wants to be called "little play bike"??? lol
anyhoooo.. thanks for your input, it makes me feel much better about the inevitable madness that is Ironman!
2011-11-29 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3919731

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

elcaminobill - 2011-11-29 8:10 PM I know,  just playing with you Quarterback

Yeah, I know but sometimes I have to remind myself.  I have Kona recorded and everytime I watch it I want to do a full. 

Lena - my sorry was more a joke than anything.  You can get a great bike for ~$2k and use the extra cash for the bling.  When new models come out you can usually pick up last years models at good prices.  Used works great if you know your size for that brand of bike, expect to have to take it in to the LBS for a tune-up but you will come out way ahead. 

2011-11-29 11:18 PM
in reply to: #3919793

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
Hi Fit checking from shopping the 4th discipline..... for new bikes.  Late in season you can find some knock-out deals on carbon tri rides.  I dropped the hammer on a 2011 Speed Concept 7 today.  whoo hooooo!   I looked at a couple of used tri bikes under 1k, but decided I decided to stay away from someone elses science project.
2011-11-30 6:01 AM
in reply to: #3919793

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
GaryRM - 2011-11-29 8:56 PM

Lena - my sorry was more a joke than anything.  You can get a great bike for ~$2k and use the extra cash for the bling.  When new models come out you can usually pick up last years models at good prices.  Used works great if you know your size for that brand of bike, expect to have to take it in to the LBS for a tune-up but you will come out way ahead. 

Gary humor, sorry, didn't register We must not have hung out here together in a while

2011-11-30 6:02 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Fit, thanks! Any specific brand recommendations? I know I'm far away from purchase, but with the ideas from everybody I'll at least start drooling a little in a specific direction
2011-11-30 7:55 AM

User image

Expert

Bike question? Ok, here's my answer.  Why buy new when used will do?  I use this in buying cars, boats, bikes, women......No, wait, thats another thread.  Bought my Kuoto off craigs list.  Paid about 1/3 what a new bike would have cost.  I did kind of know what size I was looking for and so do you.  Just don't buy the first thing you look at, just because.  Shop around and look at several.  You already said you were loking for a couple of years out before your ironman.  I have added some stuff to my bike and repaired some stuff as well, but bet that would have been the same with a brand new off the rack bike as well.

They say that the median income for an ironman triathlete is 160,000.00.  Those are the ones that can afford the newest and greatest bikes, but, it still all comes down to the one most important thing........are you ready for it.........here it comes.....  THE MOTOR.  Ihave passed a lot of 5000 dollar bikes in my tri's and have been passed by some pretty inexpensive bikes as well. 

So, I say all of that to actually say this, If you want to by a new bike, and are willing to save up for 3 years to get one, great do it, if you want a good bike and still have some cash in your hand for the bling (which you are still going to want to buy with a new bike), find a good used bike and smoke someone on their new Specilized Shieve.

On another note, I met with my new coach last night, very excited about Louisville!

Billy Out!

2011-11-30 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3919933

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Fit4Infinity - 2011-11-29 11:18 PM Hi Fit checking from shopping the 4th discipline..... for new bikes.  Late in season you can find some knock-out deals on carbon tri rides.  I dropped the hammer on a 2011 Speed Concept 7 today.  whoo hooooo!   I looked at a couple of used tri bikes under 1k, but decided I decided to stay away from someone elses science project.

Woohoo!!! SC7 was on my list when bike shopping.  Sweet bike.

Lena - the bikes I was looking at before I bought my Seduza was: QR Seduza, QR CD0.1, SC7 and the P2C. For two reasons, I knew they would fit me and I had LBS' nearby that sold them so I knew (assumed) there were trained mechanics nearby.

2011-11-30 8:53 AM
in reply to: #3920195

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Billy, well, the saving for 3 years...i'll still only have 3K max after saving for 3 years lol So it's not like i'll end up with a mountain of cash (though 3K IS a lot of cash). I do not mind buying used at all. We are the refurbished household hehe We have bought refurbished computers, washing machine, fridge, etc etc and never had a problem. I know that buying used would get me a better bike and whether new or used, I'll still need a custom fit. Also, my FIL likes to build bikes and cars (building a new tri bike for my MIL right now, just because), so I'm guessing that if i bought used, he could make necessary switches in parts, i mean, bling, for me. He actually offered to build a bike for me once i save up for parts, but I don't know...
2011-11-30 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Gary, thanks for the recommendations! jotting them down

So, Gary, isn't it high time we started talking about staying warm during winter training? I remember last year about this time, we had a lot of fun with that ...
2011-11-30 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3920319

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

I looked at a couple of great used bikes before switching to new bike.  The bike is such a screamer of a deal. It is offered used on ebay and craigslist and BT, within a couple of dead presidents of new price on sale.  When it came up on sale at my LBS I was hooked in.  But I've been looking at bikes for about six months. 

When I'm looking at used versus new I need to ask does the used bike fit?  Beyond has it be crashed.  Which is important dealing with Carbon.  You need to know, have there been modifications to the bike to make it fit the previous owner that are going to make it harder to adjust it to fit me?  One bike I was looking at had the steer tube cut off after removing spacers to lower the bars.  That made it really hard to raise the bars up without replacing the forks.  Another had cut the areo bar extensions.  That was really hard to figure out because the he had done a really good job with bar tape hiding the modification.  Just could not make the extensions fit my hands.  I have an expectation on what profile design T2 bars feel like and these just felt wrong.  Now extensions are easy to replace but how many things are you willing to replace to make the bike fit.

Bottom line - there are several really nice bikes in the low 2k range.  Find one that excites you and fits because you're going to be spending a lot of time together.   I would recommend you put the SC7 WSP on your list of bike to look at.

Cheers.

2011-11-30 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Mark, thanks!!! great advice!
To comment on what both you and Billy have said, I will most definitely be looking at bikes for several months before I make a decision (once i have the money, in addition to all the looking I'll be doing before). My biggest fear with buying used is exactly the situations you talked about.. i fear I don't know enough technical info to detect some of the mods people may have done, and then end up spending hundreds to fix the issue, let alone the safety aspect... but that's just like buying a used car, i guess? I'll guess that if i find a screaming new bike deal like you did, I'll go with that.. but if i find a great used bike deal and can have the bike looked over at the bike shop to make sure it IS a good bike, open to that direction, too....

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH! Rss Feed  

of 240