of 22

2009-04-02 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2056126

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: Barqhead's Group - FULL
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-04-01 10:34 PM

Okay, so it's now official.  I just signed up for Augusta 70.3. 

W00T!!!

2009-04-02 9:09 PM
in reply to: #1857070

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Hey Pam~

I need some swimming advice.  I have always been a right side breather.  I can swim for hours that way.  The problem I ran into was swimmer's shoulder.  So, I read somewhere to work on alternate breathing.  Now, I can do it.  My only problem is that I feel like I use twice as much effort as opposed to breathing on my right side only.  IMy stroke is more of an ocean swim freestyle now from my years as an ocean lifeguard.  I literally almost "lift" myself on top of the water.  This does not fatigue me nearly as much as left side breathing.  I am thinking I should work on more drills with my left side to ensure everything is working together.  If I could do it, I would swim right side only, but that shoulder thing bothers me.  My workout tonight included a warm up of 200, kick 200, 1500 set, and 100 cool down.  I timed my 1500 and it was just under 27 minutes.  I feel I could go even faster right side breathing only.  I'm thinking possibly 24-25 min.  I could literally feel my mechanics were off breathing to my left.  What do you think?

2009-04-03 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2059432

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-04-02 9:09 PM

Hey Pam~

I need some swimming advice.  I have always been a right side breather.  I can swim for hours that way.  The problem I ran into was swimmer's shoulder.  So, I read somewhere to work on alternate breathing.  Now, I can do it.  My only problem is that I feel like I use twice as much effort as opposed to breathing on my right side only.  IMy stroke is more of an ocean swim freestyle now from my years as an ocean lifeguard.  I literally almost "lift" myself on top of the water.  This does not fatigue me nearly as much as left side breathing.  I am thinking I should work on more drills with my left side to ensure everything is working together.  If I could do it, I would swim right side only, but that shoulder thing bothers me.  My workout tonight included a warm up of 200, kick 200, 1500 set, and 100 cool down.  I timed my 1500 and it was just under 27 minutes.  I feel I could go even faster right side breathing only.  I'm thinking possibly 24-25 min.  I could literally feel my mechanics were off breathing to my left.  What do you think?

I am no expert, by any means, but I can tell you from taking lessons...... My coach had me swim on my right side (side profile), with my right arm extended above my head and my left arm resting on my left side (along the seam of my shorts), the goal was to kick and point my chin to the ceiling and swim the entire length of the pool in that position.  Coming back, I would roll to the left side and do the same drill.

After several repetitions, she would have me kick for a count of five seconds, take a stroke with the left arm but return to the right side position and kick for five seconds and another stroke....left side coming back.  After doing this drill for a while I found that rolling with my stroke and pointing my chin came more natural and breathing was much less of an effort.  Now, it is just instinctive that when I roll from side to side, my chin follows my shoulder and I am looking at the ceiling when I breath.

That is not very efficient for speed swimming, such as a 100 freestyle, but long open water swims it is very efficient and helps keep your mouth out of the choppy water while you breath.  Additionally, there is a slight pause (for recovery) while your stroke arm is resting on your side.  It makes long swims much less tiring.

2009-04-03 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
One more thing the swim coach told me to keep in mind is, you should make you body as long as possible in the water and keep the front arm (the arm extended above your head) as high in the water as possible.  If you allow your arm to drop, you will lose speed, but also if the arm drops so do the shoulders and this will cause your chin to drop (giving you a nice face full of water).
2009-04-03 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2059432

New user
I don't have any great advice on the mechanics of turning to the weaker side, but I had swimmer's shoulder earlier in the year. I ran into the same problem with bilateral breathing and found myself exhausted in minutes. I had someone analyze my stroke and found that I wasn't lifting my arm high enough out of the water and I was also crossing the midline when my arm entered the water. So, I did some "zipper" drills and would continue to swim while breathing to my stronger side. But when my shoulder started to hurt, I would swim to my weaker side or do bilateral breathing until my pain resolved. I haven't had any problems for a few weeks. I know a lot of people in our group do bilateral breathing so they can probably offer some better advice on this topic.
2009-04-04 10:21 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
In my other life as a competitive swimmer, I breathed only to my right side. But as a triathlete, I embraced bilateral breathing. There are several reasons for this. The first one is to balance out my stroke and use both shoulders evenly. This is less tiring in longer distance swimming. The next reason is to give myself an alternative in OWS. If there are heavy waves and chop coming from the right side, I really don't want to gulp the lake or ocean by breathing right. Also I can breathe to whichever side has less sun glare so I won't feel like sneezing everytime I breathe. I do tend to sight off my right shoulder more than my left. I assume that is because I am right handed.

Even though you have a strong back and don't feel tired when lifting your head to breathe, it will slow you down. Stroke mechanics dictate that a prone body moves through the water faster and more efficiently than the a body with the slight drag of hips that occur when you lift your head. That's why I sight every 7-9 strokes vs. more often.

Good drills for bi-lateral breathing are the Kick on Side drill like Todd described. Also, side kick switch, where you kick on your side for 6 beats, take one arm pull, roll to your belly, then roll to the opposite side and kick for 6 beats. Then there's the skate drill where you kick on your left side, drag your right hand up the side of your body, rotate to your belly, extend your right hand straight, pull with your left hand to your thigh and roll to your left side. The important thing is to NOT lift your head. Your ear should remain in the water, your goggle should remain in the water. Keep your body in a straight line.

There is nothing wrong with breathing to one side during a pool swim if you are faster that way. The lane lines provide protection against chop and usually pool swim tris are very short distances so you don't have to worry about shoulder fatigue. But it really does pay off to learn to breathe bilaterally. You swim straighter, less shoulder fatigue, and more options in rough, choppy water.

2009-04-06 2:39 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
I ran today. First time since Valentine's Day. It was a 1 min walk, 1 min jog for 1 mile, but still. I count it as running. Hope everyone else is remaining happy and injury-free!

2009-04-06 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2066071

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
barqhead - 2009-04-06 2:39 PM I ran today. First time since Valentine's Day. It was a 1 min walk, 1 min jog for 1 mile, but still. I count it as running. Hope everyone else is remaining happy and injury-free!

So far so good..... just wish I could increase my distance more, but I am sticking to the training plan so I don't hurt myself.
2009-04-08 1:32 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
It looks like we have been archived! I know my schedule is getting crazy as the IM fast approaches. So feel free to hook up with a new group or start your own for April! I'm still keeping y'all in my friends list and will try to pop in from time to time. Feel free to do the same for me! I hope everyone has a great spring and summer and a successful, injury-free tri season!

Pam
2009-04-08 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Whoa!  We're archived.

It's been fun getting to know everyone.  Good luck to everyone as you begin your season!  Hope to "see" ya around the forums.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Barqhead's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22