BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PLMsbr (JD) Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2009-05-19 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2158209

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
Subject: RE: PLMsbr (JD) Group - FULL
trinity - 2009-05-18 10:12 AM Nice race Pac10er2!  Congrats on the PR in some difficult conditions and I'm glad you made your flight.

mtnbkr sorry to hear about your illness but I agree with JD that you did the right thing by skipping the race.  I hope you are feeling better and are back to your normal training schedule.

Well race 2 is in the books.  I had a great time traveling to Lubbock, TX and spending time with my dad.

I finished middle of pack which is what I expected.

The surprise was that I came out of the water in the top 5 (gotta love the wetsuit!).  Of course I didn't get to celebrate that long because the bike is where I struggle.  It didn't help that immediately out of transition was a huge (16% grade I'm guessing) hill which was followed by another (a little less steep but longer) huge hill.  After struggling over those I hit the flat section.  I was ecstatic to discover that the out was into the wind so the back would be wind aided.

I came off the bike pretty tired so I knew the run was going to be tough and it was.  My feet were numb from the cold temps on the bike so I felt like I was running on my ankles.  I managed to get up to my planned pace and held it for the first mile but I soon figured out I wasn't going to be able to hold it.  I kept thinking that I must have missed the turn around because I felt like I had been running forever.  I finally hit the turn around and gutted out the last half finishing fairly strong.

Overall it was an amazing experience (better than the 1st!) and the venue had some nice scenery around the lake.  The downside was that they didn't use timing chips so I don't have accurate splits.  I had my watch but was so caught up in racing I didn't remember to punch it every time I should have.

I am celebrating my great swim and the small improvement in the bike but me and my bike are going to become very good friends for the rest of the season as I struggle to make some decent gains.

Good job on your swim, that is really cool to come that far that fast.  People ask all the time about swimming, and I always tell them they will be amazed at how quickly the progress will come if they spend the time working on it.  You are a perfect example.  Congratulations on a great effort.

2009-05-21 8:03 PM
in reply to: #1857266

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
I figure if we are going to brag this is the place to do it...I did a short 18 mile ride this morning then a 3 mile run. I'm not the fastest runner but considering I was a 10 minute miler a year ago, I was pretty happy with my 8:10 pace this a.m. That's the fastest I've ever run 3 miles!
2009-05-22 9:09 AM

Veteran

Way to go mtnbkr!  It's not bragging if you're simply reporting the facts Laughing

2009-05-22 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2167834

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
Great Job on the run time.
2009-05-22 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2167102

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
You're right, this is the place! And it's not bragging, it's sharing the excitement Laughing  Congratulations!
2009-05-22 11:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Just the facts mam...just the facts....(and thanks for the pat on the back)...that's what I was looking for!
Got another OWS in this afternoon...it's almost too warm for a full wet suit...wishing now it was sleeveless.
Can't believe the Boise 70.3 is only 3 weeks away!! Camels Back Duathlon coming up next Sat.
Have a great weekend..............Tom

2009-05-23 6:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Did a 13.1 training run this a.m. Mostly flat...Goal was 2hrs or less...did 2:00:43...9:12 pace. PB for me!!!!!!!!!!!!
2009-05-24 7:26 AM
in reply to: #2170020

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
That is awesome! You're on a roll now Tom
2009-05-25 11:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Got an OWS in at the Clock Tower Pond this afternoon. Had my son in a kayak with GPS. Twice around the pond is 1.25mi...did it in 57 min...2:26 pace. Anything under 60min for me I'll take any day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You mean all that training might actually pay off!!!!!!!!!!   Surprised
2009-05-26 2:50 AM
in reply to: #2172555

User image

Regular
Kailua, HI
Personal records every day on this stream!  Great job everyone.  It took me a while to catch up.  There's been a lot of activity here. 

No PB's or races for me recently.  I had a few crappy weeks of training due to work and poor motivation.  I finally feel like I caught back up to where I was over a month ago this week. 

I did have a strong swim today, though.  I finally got myself to stop trying to kick my way through the water and stretch out and use my torso more.  It felt like it made huge difference!  I watched the recent XTerra USA Championships this week.  They had some cool video just under the water during the swim.  Most of the pros don't look like they're moving their legs at all.  And here I've been exhausting myself trying to give three good kicks every stroke.  I popped out of the water feeling fresh and ready to go for my ride.  What do you all do with your legs in the water?  Especially you fast guys.  Are you kicking?

2009-05-26 9:26 AM

Veteran
I don't do a lot of kicking.  I am trying to learn how to do a 2 beat kick (2 kicks every stroke) but still haven't got the timing down.  I'm lucky if I get 2 kicks in every other stroke.  I think I could be faster if I had a decent kick but for right now I only do enough to keep my legs up and streamlined....besides I need to save my legs as much as possible because I struggle enough on the bike with fresh legs I would hate to see how ugly it would be with swim tired legs.

2009-05-26 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2172595

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
triscruggs - 2009-05-26 12:50 AM Personal records every day on this stream!  Great job everyone.  It took me a while to catch up.  There's been a lot of activity here. 

No PB's or races for me recently.  I had a few crappy weeks of training due to work and poor motivation.  I finally feel like I caught back up to where I was over a month ago this week. 

I did have a strong swim today, though.  I finally got myself to stop trying to kick my way through the water and stretch out and use my torso more.  It felt like it made huge difference!  I watched the recent XTerra USA Championships this week.  They had some cool video just under the water during the swim.  Most of the pros don't look like they're moving their legs at all.  And here I've been exhausting myself trying to give three good kicks every stroke.  I popped out of the water feeling fresh and ready to go for my ride.  What do you all do with your legs in the water?  Especially you fast guys.  Are you kicking?

I don't consider myself a fast swimmer, but I am decent.  I kick lightly, mostly for balance and ryhthm.  Kicking helps me rotate my hips properly and keeps my body streamlined.  I pay attention to make sure my feet stay close together so that I keep myself in the "tube".  Also, it helps keep my legs and hips from sinking which helps me stay horizontal.  The key for me is to keep it light.  I don't think about it when I swim as I think it is the natural way for me to swim.
2009-05-26 10:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Well, you know me...not much of a swimmer. I will say that if wearing a wet suit, which we will be for the Boise70.3, my whole body floats, including my legs. I do kick some but find myself kicking less with the suit on. I'm all for saving my legs for that bike and run!
2009-05-27 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2172595

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Not a fast swimmer, but I do swim with some that are... and kick tends to be fairly minimal for distance swimmers, especially triathletes. I've seen the same thing as you, pros barely kick at all, and even less when wearing wetsuits. When I wear a wetsuit I actually try to kick as little as possible. Doesn't gain you enough in terms of speed, and you need to save those legs for what comes next.

When you have a bad day/week/month/whatever... important thing is to just keep going and not worry about what happened in the past (and don't go overboard trying to make up for it). It's the long haul that counts. I sympathize with your work schedule, though - that's got to make it tough.
2009-05-28 3:51 PM

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
I am doing a Duathlon this weekend, anything different to think about?  It is my first one.  5k/40k/5k.  I am thinking I will pretty much go 95% on the run, push the bike hard, and go as hard as I can on the last run, treating it as a sprint.
2009-05-28 10:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
I've got the same thing this Sat except my ride is 30k. This is my first Duathlon...good luck to both of us!!

2009-05-29 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2179482

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Took a quick look at the logs and here's my advice for the duathlons:

Mike - I wouldn't go more than about 90% on the first run; go fairly hard on the bike but not full out; and then hit the last 5K with whatever you have left. My first duathlon I did not save any energy for the last 5K and paid for it (30 sec/mile difference between the two runs approximately). The one I did earlier this year my run splits were closer to even, with just that slight adjustment to not go crazy on the first run.

Tom - pretty much same advice for you; although since you have a shorter bike and a little more bike mileage over the last couple months; you should be able to go hard on the bike and not affect your run too much.

For both of you, if you can use higher cadence instead of raw power on the bike, you might find that second run goes better.

Have a blast! I'll be doing an organized 80 mile bike ride thru some hilly county roads tomorrow, and they actually have a short run course set up to do a brick afterwards.
2009-05-29 10:33 AM

Veteran
Good luck on the du's!  Race hard and be safe!
2009-05-30 10:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Had a pretty good duathlon today...goal was less than 2hrs...did 1:58:48...was really hoping for more like 1:55. Overall satisfied...really enjoyed that Athletes Honey Milk at the end! Check out my race report if you'd like......Tom
2009-06-01 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2183793

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Nice race Tom! I read your race report, and it seems like you did everything to plan, great job. The difference of a couple minutes from your 1:55 goal is too close to be unhappy about... especially when you consider possible factors that are outside of your control (bunched up runners, wind, inaccurate distance measurements, etc.). I do highly recommend some form of speed laces, though; that is free and easy time. I personally like the EZ laces more than Yankz, and they're a little cheaper. I've seen some people just use elastic from a craft store and make their own. You also can try going sockless on the shorter races, it's not as bad as you might think; and gives you one less thing to fuss with/worry about.

Now, it's time to get ready for Boise 70.3!!!
2009-06-01 1:15 PM

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
Well, I learned a good lesson Saturday morning.  Be able to change a tire.  I have never had to change a flat, and I woke up Saturday morning with one.  I had pumped up the tires the night before my duathlon, and apparatnly over pumped the rear tire.  I had time, so I just headed up to the event assuming I could do it there.  An hour later it was 7am and I was not ready to race.  I actually got it once, but I had forgotten to unscrew the "thingy" where the air goes in and had to start over.  Then, I got it done again, but pinched the tube while I was getting it in so it was flat.  The third time was the charm, but it was too late and I missed my race.

I drove home about as ticked off as I can be, but thankfully it wasn't a big race for me.  Later that day, I went to my bike shop, pretty embarassed, and had them show me how to do it properly.  It took them about 5 minutes, too bad they weren't there that morning.

Bottom line for me, I have to learn more about how to take care of my bike.  Thankfully it was not a big race for me, but it still really made me think about all the other things I don't know how to do.  I plan on becoming more proficient at bike maintenance and actually found some good resources right on this site.

Bummer, but at least I found a silver lining.  Hope everyone else had a great weekend, talk to you later.

2009-06-01 1:33 PM

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
On a different note, I rode this morning on a Computrainer.  A new gym has opened up that is geared to Triathletes.  They have an endless pool, 5 or 6 Computrainers, and some really good spin bikes as well.  Along with some regular gym equipment and treadmills.

I did a 23.90 course, which is our local Olympic Triathlon course, and it was pretty cool.  Kept track of the watts, Hr, etc.

It is only $40 a month, so I am going to join and ditch my other membership.  Anyway, if you have a chance to train on a Computrainer, I recommend it.
2009-06-01 5:20 PM
in reply to: #2186740

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Thanks JD...I do feel good about the race overall...next year I'll have something to compare to. I do have a pair of laces that I'll practice with at home this week. I know it's time to back off on the training now but it's HARD to do! Boise 70.3 here I come!!! I'm no faster in the water but have been doing lots of OWS the past few weeks. I'm feeling good in the cold water..don't think I'll have any problem as long as I don't get "run over" by too many swimmers! Especially since it starts at 2 and I'll be in the water by 2:15!!! Thanks for ALL your help this season and thanks to the rest of you from what I gleaned from your postings.............Tom
2009-06-01 7:07 PM
in reply to: #2183793

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
mtnbkr - 2009-05-30 8:08 PM Had a pretty good duathlon today...goal was less than 2hrs...did 1:58:48...was really hoping for more like 1:55. Overall satisfied...really enjoyed that Athletes Honey Milk at the end! Check out my race report if you'd like......Tom

Great job!  You basically hit your goal, and you look ready for your HIM.
2009-06-02 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2186949

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Really sorry to hear about the flat tire issues; sometimes things seem to conspire against you no matter what you do. Seems like everyone has some type of mechanical breakdown that messes up their race at some point. I can tell you one about what happens when you don't have an extra CO2 tube...

That gym sounds great, and fairly reasonable! I have thought about a tri-oriented fitness center before, interesting to see that they really exist
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PLMsbr (JD) Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24