BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team No DNF - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2009-07-16 6:08 AM
in reply to: #2068595

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Team No DNF - FULL
I'm fine, except I've had some superficial numbness in my left calf for almost two weeks now. I just kept thinking it was going to go away! I'm sure my physio would just tell me it's related to my overuse injury but since I'm in the middle of an OLY training plan, I don't feel like taking much of a break.

Actually, I'm going away with the kids for a couple of days so I won't be able to get too much work done. I'm taking running shoes and a bathing suit, but think I'll probably have two days off - plus my day off yesterday. That's more rest than I've had since April when I started training!!

2009-07-16 7:56 AM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
I'm still here and doing good.  I have my race this weekend so I'm tapering.  Swam easy last night for about 40 minutes.  Decided not to track distance, just swam.  Going to put the bike on the trainer tonight and ride for 45 minutes or so and then take a quick run around the neighborhood.

Looking forward to the race, but the weather doesn't want to cooperate all that well.  Lows in the lower 50s, highs in the mid 60s.  Should make the swim in cold water fun without a wetsuit and then a nice cold, wet bike ride. 
2009-07-16 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2288871

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Cutlass454 - 2009-07-16 8:56 AM I'm still here and doing good.  I have my race this weekend so I'm tapering.  Swam easy last night for about 40 minutes.  Decided not to track distance, just swam.  Going to put the bike on the trainer tonight and ride for 45 minutes or so and then take a quick run around the neighborhood.

Looking forward to the race, but the weather doesn't want to cooperate all that well.  Lows in the lower 50s, highs in the mid 60s.  Should make the swim in cold water fun without a wetsuit and then a nice cold, wet bike ride. 

Good luck for your race!!!!!! Can't wait to hear all about it.
2009-07-16 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2289005

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Good luck on the racing!

I've been training, just nowhere near the volume I was. Oddly enough, my weight is dropping which is a good thing. Changing the eating patterns around a bit helped huge. I'll be heading up to Colorado to do the sprint instead of the Oly in August, and the HIM is still up in the air.

If I can drop my A goal of finishing under 5 hours and be ok with that, then I'll probably still do it. I think I could still finish under 5:30, but we'll see how it goes.

Take the breaks when you need them, a couple days rest won't kill any training plan, and if you been going steady since april, you could use a couple days!!

John
2009-07-16 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2289819

User image

Veteran
Toronto
tkd.teacher - 2009-07-16 3:01 PM Good luck on the racing!

I've been training, just nowhere near the volume I was. Oddly enough, my weight is dropping which is a good thing. Changing the eating patterns around a bit helped huge. I'll be heading up to Colorado to do the sprint instead of the Oly in August, and the HIM is still up in the air.

If I can drop my A goal of finishing under 5 hours and be ok with that, then I'll probably still do it. I think I could still finish under 5:30, but we'll see how it goes.

Take the breaks when you need them, a couple days rest won't kill any training plan, and if you been going steady since april, you could use a couple days!!

John

The Divorce Gods are at work and I should get my money this weekend or early next week for my new bike!!!! yay. Now if only I could decide which one.
2009-07-16 3:53 PM
in reply to: #2288871

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Cutlass454 - 2009-07-16 8:56 AM I'm still here and doing good.  I have my race this weekend so I'm tapering.  Swam easy last night for about 40 minutes.  Decided not to track distance, just swam.  Going to put the bike on the trainer tonight and ride for 45 minutes or so and then take a quick run around the neighborhood.

I'm racing this weekend, too!  I haven't raced in a few months and am looking forward to going all out for this sprint.  It's supposed to be cool here as well but it should be a nice kind of cool.  I think I'll pack the wetsuit in case the water temps are under 70 but it seems such a hassel for a 500m swim.  On the other hand, I haven't swam in over a month.  The extra bouyancy might be nice!

Anyhow...have a fast and fun race!

2009-07-16 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
good luck emily and kevin!!!

After looking at my bike times compared to others I figured something had to be up so I finally went and got my bike fitted today.  the guy said I was too stretched out so only 60% of my strength was translating into my pedals. its fitted now, went on a ride and was much faster and felt a lot less tired. wish I had done it before. i think he felt bad for me because in the end, after over an hour of talking/working with me,  he didn't charge me for a fitting. All I had to do was buy a better tire pump and called it even.

Fi- have you talked to many triathletes in your area about types of bikes? the guys I talked to today said in Maine most people don't buy tri bikes because of the amount of hills/mountains and that the carbon road bikes work better. maybe they will have some good insight
2009-07-16 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2290394

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
zachkoe - 2009-07-16 4:07 PM good luck emily and kevin!!!
Fi- have you talked to many triathletes in your area about types of bikes? the guys I talked to today said in Maine most people don't buy tri bikes because of the amount of hills/mountains and that the carbon road bikes work better. maybe they will have some good insight

That's a good point. If you have a lot of climbing, a road bike will be better. You can always get an extra fast-forward seatpost and swap it out, and get aerobars and get nearly the same position/advantages as a tri bike.

John
2009-07-17 9:06 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Just thought I would jump on here one last time before tomorrow.  Good luck to you, Emily, in your race.  Hopefully, the next time I post I will be a Triathlete!!!  Good night all.
2009-07-18 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
Woo hoo, congrats on your new Triathlete status. And good luck to Emily!
2009-07-18 7:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
So I'm going to go with the S2 Cervelo  - what was the Soloist - Full cabon. Bit more than I was going to spend but a great bike and will get me over my grief of signing the cottage over to the ex.

How did the races go this weekend?

2009-07-18 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2293762

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
alexenafi - 2009-07-18 8:19 PM So I'm going to go with the S2 Cervelo  - what was the Soloist - Full cabon. Bit more than I was going to spend but a great bike and will get me over my grief of signing the cottage over to the ex.

Fi, congrats on your decision to go with the Cervelo.  I will envy you for a while. 

Well, it's official - I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!!!

Had and finished my first one this morning.  I'm waiting for the final results and then I'll do my race report.  After my preliminary run, my goal that I was telling everyone was 2:30 or quicker.  It was a 1/2 mile swim, 18 mile bike and 4.5 mile run.  In the back of my head, my ultimate goal was to be quicker than one of my friends who got me into this sport, which was 2:13.  I wasn't sure if I could do that or not.

My unofficial time, according to the posted results, was 2:08!!!!!  I could not believe it when I saw that.  I was like "are you kidding me"?  Then I looked at my swim time.  Up until today, my times were 22-24 minutes for about a 1/2 mile swim.  Due to air temps in the low 50's at race time, I decided at the last minute to rent a full wetsuit.  I did not have a chance to try it out (go ahead John, let me have it for "nothing new on race day") prior to the swim.  My time was slightly over 14 minutes!  Once again, I was like how in the world?!?!

I won't discuss my transitions right now, as I need work on them. 

Overall, I was extremely pleased and happy with how I did.  First one is done and like most everyone else, I may be hooked.

Looking forward to hearing how Emily's race went.
2009-07-18 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2293776

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Cutlass454 - 2009-07-18 5:31 PM
alexenafi - 2009-07-18 8:19 PM So I'm going to go with the S2 Cervelo  - what was the Soloist - Full cabon. Bit more than I was going to spend but a great bike and will get me over my grief of signing the cottage over to the ex.

Fi, congrats on your decision to go with the Cervelo.  I will envy you for a while. 

Well, it's official - I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!!!

Had and finished my first one this morning.  I'm waiting for the final results and then I'll do my race report.  After my preliminary run, my goal that I was telling everyone was 2:30 or quicker.  It was a 1/2 mile swim, 18 mile bike and 4.5 mile run.  In the back of my head, my ultimate goal was to be quicker than one of my friends who got me into this sport, which was 2:13.  I wasn't sure if I could do that or not.

My unofficial time, according to the posted results, was 2:08!!!!!  I could not believe it when I saw that.  I was like "are you kidding me"?  Then I looked at my swim time.  Up until today, my times were 22-24 minutes for about a 1/2 mile swim.  Due to air temps in the low 50's at race time, I decided at the last minute to rent a full wetsuit.  I did not have a chance to try it out (go ahead John, let me have it for "nothing new on race day") prior to the swim.  My time was slightly over 14 minutes!  Once again, I was like how in the world?!?!

I won't discuss my transitions right now, as I need work on them. 

Overall, I was extremely pleased and happy with how I did.  First one is done and like most everyone else, I may be hooked.

Looking forward to hearing how Emily's race went.

Congratulations, TRIATHLETE!!! Well done you!! Great job, and KICKING on the time!! Go bust on your friend. :D

John
2009-07-19 10:35 AM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Race report is here:  Click Here
2009-07-20 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Congrats on your first!!! Awesome job on your time! Isn't it amazing when you realize that you are in better shape/quicker than you thought!!
2009-07-20 2:03 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
John,

During the run on Saturday, I developed a couple of blisters on the ball of my left foot.  Obviously, as the run progressed, so did the pain.  Not that I've run an extreme amount of miles since training began (approx. 100), but why would they pop up now?  My shoes have been super comfortable and fitted at a running store.  I've never had any foot pain up until now.  Same goes for my bike shoes.  I wore the same socks as I train in.  I'm going to give them a couple days before I start either running or biking again, but curious what may have caused this.  Could it have been some debris I picked up running from the water to T1?  Any thoughts or ideas?

Oh, and BTW, I will be purchasing the wetsuit I rented for my race.  Around $175 for a brand new (slightly used) Blue Seventy Reaction full wetsuit that I know works. 

2009-07-21 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
Did the blisters develop right away or into the run? How long were you running before you noticed the pain?

On a different note, John still owes us a Stanley Cup wager workout! Now that you're officially a triathlete, we should probably just suck it up and get it over with.
2009-07-21 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2296583

User image

On your right
Cutlass454 - 2009-07-20 3:03 PM John,

During the run on Saturday, I developed a couple of blisters on the ball of my left foot.  Obviously, as the run progressed, so did the pain.  Not that I've run an extreme amount of miles since training began (approx. 100), but why would they pop up now?  My shoes have been super comfortable and fitted at a running store.  I've never had any foot pain up until now.  Same goes for my bike shoes.  I wore the same socks as I train in.  I'm going to give them a couple days before I start either running or biking again, but curious what may have caused this.  Could it have been some debris I picked up running from the water to T1?  Any thoughts or ideas?

Oh, and BTW, I will be purchasing the wetsuit I rented for my race.  Around $175 for a brand new (slightly used) Blue Seventy Reaction full wetsuit that I know works. 

The blisters could be from having your socks be pretty soaked.  I know that I started to get a blister  when I normally don't, and the only difference was that I was wearing socks that were soaked from putting them on post swim.  Maybe in the future I'll either bike sockless, or take 2 pair of socks.
2009-07-21 1:45 PM
in reply to: #2299184

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Chaderbox - 2009-07-21 2:35 PM
The blisters could be from having your socks be pretty soaked.  I know that I started to get a blister  when I normally don't, and the only difference was that I was wearing socks that were soaked from putting them on post swim.  Maybe in the future I'll either bike sockless, or take 2 pair of socks.

That might be the problem.  I would have thought this should have come up during one of the swim / bike bricks or during my trial run through a couple weeks ago.  I have yet to try to bike and run sockless.

I would estimate that I first noticed them at about mile 2 or 3.  At first I thought I had some dirt or sand, so I tried to kick / move it around when walking, but the feeling never changed.  That's when I figured they were blisters.
2009-07-21 8:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
i don't know if this makes a difference but I used smart wool socks that are specific to running. I don't find them too warm and my feet didn't feel wet at all during the run. I bike sockless and did doused my feet with baby powder before my bike, which I'm sure helped also.
2009-07-23 12:53 PM
in reply to: #2300349

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Sorry for the delay, it's been nuts for me the last week.

Almost anything can cause the blisters. I've had dead grass cause blisters before. My guess is that you either got something in there when you were putting them on, or the sweat caused them to bunch a bit and rub. Even a little bit off from what is normal can cause it.

It's also possible that due to fatigue/racing, etc. you had a slightly different gait and were pushing off slightly different. That happens occasionally as well.

John

2009-07-23 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
So, after much debate and many trips to two LBS I ordered my bike - the Cervelo P2C.

It's an awesome bike and once I get used to the shifters on the aero (and the aeros) I'll be all good.

Next race is two weeks away. Won't get bike until next week though.

Fi
2009-07-24 11:55 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hey, folks!  Sorry I haven't been around for awhile.  I lost my internet connection and then went on vacation.  I'm finally back home and the modem is back up a running.

Congrats to Kevin on a great first race!  And yay to Fi for a new bke!

If anyone is interested, here's my race report from last weekend.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=171280

I had sort of a meh race.  I was hoping to go a little faster.  But I had some positives to build on and some negatives to improve upon. 

2009-07-25 7:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
I ran a 5K road race last night and had a ton of fun, didn't completely reach my goal of 25mins but was close. Ran it in 25:20. It was pretty interesting, we had 2 water hazards, one of which you had to run through 2-3inches of water. It was about 3mins faster than the first road race, hoping to just keep improving. when does everyone else have another tri?
2009-07-27 9:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
My next tri is Aug 8th. And I've added another one to the season on Sept 19. Only 2 weeks after the longer distance tri I'm doing on Sept 5th. Might be too soon but it's a popular tri and will be good to do it.

Well done on the recent races.

I went to the location of my next tri in two weeks and did the bike then run sections. It was really good. I now know where the climbs are (two of them) and actually believe I can do this. Awesome.

Fi
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team No DNF - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24