BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-05-19 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2068936

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED
OK ladies, how is everyone doing? I am so tired and hungry all the time. I also feel really good. I am still not in the pool - so my challenge is to get my butt in the pool at least 3x a week!

This is the last week of my bootcamp class, and I must say that my trainer has me in some pretty impressive shape (Even if she was jerky). If I weren't training, I would do it five days a week (instead of three) because the results have been that intense for me.

My running has greatly improved. Its still hard but I can go further and a teeny bit faster than I could last year, and with much more consistency. I am on the trainer regularly and spinning twice a week also. I find that this tri stuff is consuming me - I am reading everything, always thinking about various workouts and scheming what pools I could get to, finding different places to run, and always looking for new stuff to workout in (my latest thing is SOCKS - some socks can make your feet feel soooooo good!)

All that said I think about my upcoming sprint at the end of July with a solid mix of dread and anticipation....and I wish I didn't have all these distractions like, oh, LIFE getting in my way of preparationSmile

2009-05-19 10:04 PM
in reply to: #2161893

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
bluwatersoul - 2009-05-19 7:16 PM  I find that this tri stuff is consuming me - I am reading everything, always thinking about various workouts and scheming what pools I could get to, finding different places to run, and always looking for new stuff to workout in (my latest thing is SOCKS - some socks can make your feet feel soooooo good!)

Smile

I feel the same way! It is all consuming, but Im sure it will subside once we get a bit further into it. BTW, have you tried the Balga socks? They rock!

My MIL is in town so this week has been really weirdly off schedule, but kindof in a good way. It is my peak week before my sprint so I have a lot more running to do and she is nicce enough to take the kids so I haven't had to do the 45 min run with the stroller! its nice, but I noticed that my right side is tighter than my left through my core, I'm guessing it is because I only push with my right arm. For some reason I CAN'T push with my left hand. Weird.

I also got to run with DH this morning for the first time ever! I didn't feel like I was slowing him down, but he was disapointed when I maped what we did and it was only 3.3 miles in 30 min. That is fast for me...
2009-05-19 11:05 PM

User image

Illinois

Does anyone have any recommendations for prescription goggles?  I usually don't wear goggles at all but I wouldn't mind being able to see when I swim.  Mine will be a pool swim.  I have small close-set eyes.

Thanks, Sue

2009-05-20 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Morning Ladies!

Waiting to get a part from dh before I head to the neighbor's branding.   The boys have been there since 6am, but I had to bake a rhubarb crisp to take for the meal.      After I help feed the crew and clean up, my neighbor and I are going for a bike ride!    She is training for a big ride through the WY mountains the second week in July.    I have never done any training with another person so I am looking forward to it.    I get to wear my new Pearl Izumi bike shorts I found at Goodwill yesterday for $1.99!!!

I second the Balega socks.  I have 3 pair and love them.   Mine are all the thicker kind and have been thinking of getting a thinner pair for summer.    I have also heard great things about Thorlo...and I am sure there are others.   I think good socks, like good shoes are important.

2009-05-20 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2163388

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
ranchrunner - 2009-05-20 11:44 AM Morning Ladies!

I get to wear my new Pearl Izumi bike shorts I found at Goodwill yesterday for $1.99!!!

Wow!
2009-05-20 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2162334

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
fantom8588 - 2009-05-20 12:05 AM

Does anyone have any recommendations for prescription goggles?  I usually don't wear goggles at all but I wouldn't mind being able to see when I swim.  Mine will be a pool swim.  I have small close-set eyes.

Thanks, Sue

My sister just got some from speedo with the generic magnification like reading glasses from the local swim shop (sorry I have never worn glasses so I don't know the lingo). They are not her exact perscription but She says they work for her.

2009-05-20 4:25 PM
in reply to: #2163388

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
ranchrunner - 2009-05-20 11:44 AM Morning Ladies! 

I think good socks, like good shoes are important.

yeah, that is one of my training epiphanies - I never used to wear socks for running, now I am obsessed.
2009-05-21 6:35 AM
in reply to: #2159631

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

LadyNorth - 2009-05-18 8:55 PM I'm having doubts - haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYeDF7eQ_Dg

That's great!! Thanks for sharing...good tips for training! Wink  I mean realistically...it can't be that bad....can it...CAN IT?!?!?! Tongue out

2009-05-21 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2161882

User image

Regular
West Fargo
bluwatersoul - 2009-05-19 6:07 PM

LadyNorth - 2009-05-18 8:55 PM I'm having doubts - haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYeDF7eQ_Dg

That was HILARIOUS and terrifying! Goodness!

That is fabulous! I love it!
2009-05-21 9:30 AM

User image

Regular
West Fargo
Ok, back on the wagon. I'm not sure what happend, but I must say I just went through 5 days of not doing ANYTHING. That was terrible. "I'll get to it later....I'll go tonight when the kids are down...I'll get up before DH goes to work.....when it's done raining". Yah yah yah. None of those ever came through. So after volleyball last night I did a brick to make up Tuesday's run, and complete Wednesday's bike. Unfortunately it was done around midnight! But at least it was done! Now I feel like I'm back on track. So I've got 3 miles today, plus strength/stretch. NO EXCUSES! Also I found that: No workouts for 5 days + bad eating = 3.2 pounds! Yuck! But no worries, I'm back on track now. Also, I bought a new scale. But I think the weight is just bad choices for 5 days.....
2009-05-22 8:42 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Well my first 5K is behind me...I did OK.  I was trying to get under 45 minutes, and I think I got right at that.  Today I'm not too sore - I feel like I ran yesterday and I feel like I have room for improvement!  I have 5K #2 in 3 weeks...so gotta get my endurance up - I  want to run the whole time. 

Hope everyone had a good week!

2009-05-22 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2167742

User image

Expert
Missouri
lkc01234 - 2009-05-22 8:42 AM Well my first 5K is behind me...I did OK.  I was trying to get under 45 minutes, and I think I got right at that.  Today I'm not too sore - I feel like I ran yesterday and I feel like I have room for improvement!  I have 5K #2 in 3 weeks...so gotta get my endurance up - I  want to run the whole time. 

Congrats on your first 5k!
2009-05-22 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
So what's everyone up to this weekend?  Anyone racing anywhere that we can cheer for?

No racing for me - too many other things going on this weekend.  Tomorrow is our son's HS graduation and also our daughter's birthday so a busy day for the whole family.  Sunday we have about 15 people coming over for a celebration brunch (combo of grad and birthday).  I'm hoping to at least get a run in on Saturday before things get too hectic, but I doubt I'll get any other workouts in.  Looking forward to Monday though - good thing I don't have to work, I'm going to need the day to recover! 

Good luck to anyone who is racing this weekend and I hope everyone has a great holiday!
Janet
2009-05-22 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
lkc01234 - 2009-05-22 8:42 AM Well my first 5K is behind me...I did OK.  I was trying to get under 45 minutes, and I think I got right at that.  Today I'm not too sore - I feel like I ran yesterday and I feel like I have room for improvement!  I have 5K #2 in 3 weeks...so gotta get my endurance up - I  want to run the whole time. 

Hey - Congrats - the best part is now you get to take well-deserved rest time.

Denise
2009-05-22 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Got my 1st flat tire yesterday at the end of my ride.  I'm just getting used to my new road bike and knew I'd have to deal with the flat tire issue sooner or later.  I know nothing about bikes but hopefully my husband will help me learn how to change tire/patch or whatever the heck you do - guess I'll get out my manual too.

Have a nice day, everyone
Denise

ps - My daughter's home from college for the summer and got a waitress job and a customer asked for a grilled chicken breast and my daughter said "White meat or dark?"  Oh dear.
2009-05-23 12:54 AM

User image

Regular
West Fargo
lkc01234 - 2009-05-22 8:42 AM

Well my first 5K is behind me...I did OK.  I was trying to get under 45 minutes, and I think I got right at that.  Today I'm not too sore - I feel like I ran yesterday and I feel like I have room for improvement!  I have 5K #2 in 3 weeks...so gotta get my endurance up - I  want to run the whole time. 

Woohoo! doesn't it feel SO good crossing that finish line!?!

2009-05-23 12:58 AM

User image

Regular
West Fargo
Ok, so I'm curious. In reading over training plans, it says to break up the workouts with morning and evening when you have two things in one day. Then in the end they "schedule" them as bricks. Just curious if there is something wrong with doing the "2 a days" as bricks all the time? I'm suddenly learning that I may only get the opportunity to get my stuff in once a day, thus creating bricks? Will this lead to bad things??? Or will it just condition my body to dual sport stuff earlier in the game, thus increasing my endurance??? I don't want to wreck my legs if that is the most likely scenario? I have been doing the run first, then bike though. I think the bike helps to work out my legs after running.... Should I be true to the tri form and bike then run if doing bricks?

Edited by sleeping_butterflies 2009-05-23 12:59 AM
2009-05-23 12:22 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

I need to address something Laughing 

I've been really enjoying BT.com and all the forums.  But I have to say this particular forum has been kind of slow lately.  We need to kick it up a notch ladies...and since I'm feeling good.  I hope I can start!  (However, I do realize that we are all busy!)

Let's update where we are/ where we've been/ where we want to go!  I'd like some accountability and I'd love to hear how everyone is doing!  It's been a bit over a month now...(Also  Lora...how often do they start mentor programs?)

When I started I couldn't run a mile!  Now, I'm confident I could do 1.5 to 2 miles.  And the best part is that I could do a mile (at my normal pace) and probably feel good the whole time - NOT have to push myself!  I think my only change in my swim is that now I'm timing myself...so I should be seeing some quantify-able progress.  My bike hasn't really increased, but I'm comfortable that I could do the race distance.

In the next month or so I want to 1) work on getting running distance to 3 miles +++  2) Work on adding some strength/core work

Some overall positives for me: It's been really nice out and I've gotten the opportunity to enjoy that - - last year at this time, I'm not sure I would've been out as much! (That is good!)  I've also seen an increase in my mood and motivation in other areas (I do ~struggle~ with depression as I've already mentioned)  I also am excited to think about doing other things that relate to training - like think about going trail riding around here or hiking!

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend (hopefully 3 day).  I am headed down to visit family...returning tomorrow evening with plans to do a bike-run brick on Monday.  Hopefully with some time in there to remember why I have the holiday and not just being glad I'm not at work!

2009-05-23 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
LKC - I am glad you said something and that you are feeling good!!    My dh struggles with depression, too.    Glad the exercise is helping you feel better about things.   I don't struggle with D but getting fit has changed my outlook on life, the state of my marriage...many things!

I am definitely in a better place physically than I was at the end of March when I decided to train for the tri.   I had taken some time off for an ankle injury and felt completely out of shape again.   I have really loved the multi-sport training although am still way behind on my competency with the bike    I think doing the simple TriNewbie weight training has had a huge impact on my overall ability.   I noticed it yesterday during swim training.   A few weeks ago when I met with a swimming coach she said I should have a swim cadence of 18-24 strokes for one lap.   I wasn't able to do that.   Yesterday, I was in a 25yd pool and consistently did 18 or 19.  It just felt more powerful and I know it was from the weight lifting.     Some days I worry about what I will do when the Tri is over.   I don't want to go back to where I was!  Besides, now I have all this equipment!   I just hope dh continues to support my training time because it does cut in to my family life some.

SB - I am certainly not 'qualified' to answer your question about brick training since I am just about to do my first brick today!  But, that said, my understanding is that the "brick" should be done in the order that you race the events since it is meant to accustom your legs/body to change in sport and also to help you do a trial run through your transitions.   I had thought I would do my bike leg of the brick today on the trainer, but the weather has gotten nicer so may go to town and do it.  

2009-05-23 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2169364

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
sleeping_butterflies - 2009-05-23 1:58 AM Ok, so I'm curious. In reading over training plans, it says to break up the workouts with morning and evening when you have two things in one day. Then in the end they "schedule" them as bricks. Just curious if there is something wrong with doing the "2 a days" as bricks all the time?

at first I was doing bricks and reverse bricks a lot 1. because I had to do them inside at the gym and couldn justify paying for just 20 min on the bike 2. because I needed someone to watch the kids while DH was out of town (also extre $), 3. I was already used to working out for a hour or so at a time. they were run and bike since I had swim practice at night. I tended to do the run first because that was so much harder for me and I didn't want my "form" to be affected by being tired.

But I swicthed it to whichever workout was the long one for the week 1st. So I would do the long run then the short bike one day, and the long bike and the short run the next.
2009-05-23 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2169721

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
lkc01234 - 2009-05-23 1:22 PM

I need to address something Laughing 

I've been really enjoying BT.com and all the forums.  But I have to say this particular forum has been kind of slow lately.  We need to kick it up a notch ladies...and since I'm feeling good.  I hope I can start!  (However, I do realize that we are all busy!)

Let's update where we are/ where we've been/ where we want to go!  I'd like some accountability and I'd love to hear how everyone is doing!  It's been a bit over a month now...(Also  Lora...how often do they start mentor programs?)

Your right it has been very slow lately...
I have my first OWS race sunday (1mile), I had the clinic today and it went really well. I didn't need the wetsuit which was my 1 real worry besides not having the little bit of rest at the flip turn. Turns out not being able to see anything but your arms and the sun rays in the water is pretty calming for me and siteing was no problem.  But I got a bit of a burn on one shoulder...
Can't wait to really kick it tommorrow!

When I first started I didn't think I could run a mile... last week I ran just over 4!
I had also never rode a road bike or gone more than a couple miles on my mt. bike (w/ kids in tow) I did a 30 miler last weekend!
I am really excited for my first sprint tri June 21st, and my 1st 5k on the 6th!

2009-05-23 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
OMGosh, OMGosh.... I just completed my first ever BRICK!! jumping I am jumping up and down with excitement.

I felt horrible this afternoon and was working on talking myself out of doing anything.   Ds wanted to take some "senior" pictures - a year late!   Dh wanted me to go with him to check the water at the summer pastures and help get the fertilizer ready to put on the alfalfa.   I just wanted to lay down!   BUT...I did go do the pics, but hte other stuff didn't work out.   So, I set up a transition zone in the kitchen, put my bike on the trainer, rode 6 miles and ran 1.5.     It was cool to go through the transition as if it were a race and the really great part for me was.....I started running and thinking that this was going to be horrible, I was going to be slow, etc and WOW, my first mile split was 9.30 and my second was 9.15!!!   I can do this!!   The biggest and most wonderful realization was that all the ssssslllllooooowwww training is paying off!   It is truly building endurance and ability.   So all of you....KEEP TRAINING!    A friend from a running forum used to always say "Trust the Training"!

Side note on training....last week I realized I needed to pick one training program instead of 3 and follow it completely (well sometimes I have to change days of the week since it is so far to a pool).   I chose the Trek Women's training plan.  It has been really good for me.   Right on target with where I am and how far it is to my first Tri.   I want to encourage you all to find a plan and stick to it.

The other thing I wanted to share was that I have been working on just a few aspects of Chi Running - relaxation and breathing.   I saw that he recommended exhaling for 3 strides, inhaling for 2.   Ok....another thought was that first I worked ONLY on cadence and got it consistently at 85 (that is counting one foot for 1 min),   THEN I started working hard on breathing and relaxation.   So today, I really tried to relax and do the exhale 3 strides, inhale 2.  I had always inhaled longer, but exhaling longer is better!   So, if you have been toying with the ChiRunning stuff, I want to encourage you to keep trying, keep training.  

WE CAN ALL DO THIS!!!thumbs
Sharie

Edited by ranchrunner 2009-05-23 9:06 PM
2009-05-24 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Actually, we're not doing too badly.  There are 36 mentor groups in this forum and we have more posts than all but 3.  Just sayin....

Denise
2009-05-24 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
This past week has been a pretty good one for me. Although this swine flu stuff has me nervous - EVERYONE it seems is sniffling, coughing, etc. and alot of schools have been closed. From one day to the next I will have some sinusy feelings but nothing a good workout won't cure. Wink

This was my last week of bootcamp, it went well. We did a timed mile as part of our last day - and WOW. The first time we did a timed mile, my time was 10:33. I was a little tired that morning but the time wasn't too far off IMO. That was about a month ago. Guess what my time was this time? 8:59!!!! I have NEVER been able to go that far that fast. I am so tickled! Plus, the girls (yes girls - only one other40+ yr old running right behind me) all fell out after the mile - I was VERY winded, but I didn't have to fall out and I could kinda talk!

That evening, I FINALLY got back in the pool and did 700 meters after a warm up and I felt GREAT. It has been so long since I have been in the pool so this was a relief , I thought maybe I had forgotten how to swim or something.

After that, I did some boxing and my arms weren't as sore afterwards as I thought they might be after attacking the bag...

today, I did a spin class and then got on the treadmill for 3 miles which I did in 28 minutes. My legs felt absolutely great. This is a big boost for me, as the sessions on the trainer have been killer and I am often drained afterwards. It actually does appear that the training is paying off, which I cannot believe. I am so happy! and tired...and hungry... and hopeful. Maybe I really can do this?!Surprised
2009-05-24 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
Subject: 1st OW race
Well, I finished my first OW race, 1 mile. It was fun, but I felt slow.
The water was really warm, in the 70's but there were still a lot of people wearing wet suits, I think there was only me and one other in our wave of 25!

I'll be doing my race report when they post the official results but as of this morning I was 4th in the non-wetsuit catagory of my age group with a 28:18.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36