BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-07-09 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2269173

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Subject: RE: GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring
HEAT is the big issue here.

Come on Ken, you can do it!  I am doing mine in Palm Desert:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/tenday/USCA0827?from=36hr_topnav_outdoors

Lots of water.

2009-07-09 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2072085

Expert

Hey everybody - I would say make the virtual tri work for you - in whatever way that may be.

What it will do for me is give me a little focus and purpose in my workouts which has been missing lately.

How I actually execute the GMGVT is likely to be wacky, also. Due to pool schedule etc - probably swim will be last which is silly but oh well! There is a 5K footrace nearby on July 19th so at this point I am thinking I'll ride first, do the race, and then get to the pool when it opens. Or better yet, the lake, which opens even later in the day due to funding cutbacks but that's 2009 for you, good times heh! Actually, biking first as a warmup for the 5k may be a good idea as I think I will run faster that way - probably because I do not warmup enough before a 5K. Guess that means I still have a lot to learn. That's the fun part about being a beginner! Pretty much every race is an improvement over the last - I've not yet gotten to that point where so many of my much more advanced buds are. They talking very specific numbers of what they hope to accomplish and are often not so happy with the results. For me every race still has quite a bit of an element of - surprise. 

Anyway, it's all for fun.

Take care all! - B

Edited by BabsVa 2009-07-09 4:30 PM
2009-07-09 6:55 PM
in reply to: #2274349

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
I do not warmup enough before a 5K

Ditto.  I have a 5k on August 7th.

G- what sort of a warm-up would you recommend for a 5k?
2009-07-10 10:35 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

G
I have a question for you regarding a road bike with clip ons vs a tri bike.

I currently ride a custom Seven road bike and had clips ons installed two weeks ago.  I am slowly getting used to them, but not having the shifter close by is a pain.  On the other hand, I like the flexibility of using the drops or sitting up to climb and the brakes are pretty accessible. The bike fits me like a glove.  I am wondering as I get more used to the aerobars if I will want a tri bike.   My goal pre-season was a Carbon Seven tri bike, but that fell through when Seven realized they could not size it small enough for me.  I recently found out that a carbon tri Parlee is an option, although ridiculously expensive.  How do I cut through all the hype and assess whether riding a road bike with clip ons or a tri bike is best for me?  Assuming all goes well with the HIM, I want to do IM WI next year. 

I saw your Powertap comment to Ken.  Is it the same for me?  I have a CT and love it, but I have thought of getting a PT for the road.

Suzy

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-07-10 10:36 AM
2009-07-10 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2274563

User image

Champion
cjhild - 2009-07-09 6:55 PM
I do not warmup enough before a 5K

Ditto.  I have a 5k on August 7th.

G- what sort of a warm-up would you recommend for a 5k?

Justin
It will be interesting to see what G suggests.  When I do a 5K (which I hate by the way), I usually warm up 2-3 miles ez and then do a bunch of :15-:30 second pick ups/strides to get my legs raring to go. Assuming I am not throwing up at the end , I close down with a 1-2m cool down.

Suzy
2009-07-10 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2269173

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
5K Warm-Up Protocol

This is from an athlete that I coach who is a high school track coach and very experienced elite runner...

++

Race morning: Do 2 warm-ups. One before breakfast and one at the race site.

Wake up 2-3 hours prior, take in 8-12 oz water and go for an easy 7-15 minute jog with full sweats. Get a little sweat going. When you get back, take in another 8-12 oz water with a carbo-hydrate source of some solid food. A slice of wheat bread with peanut butter and a little honey along with a "carb-drink". Or, a very small bowl of oatmeal with a banana and carbohydrate drink. Nothing huge, but don't go empty. I'm a coffee drinker, so take in a small portion of coffee or tea if this works for you. Try to get your restroom needs taken care of here also. Pre-race always takes a little adjustment through time to see what works for you. It's great practice for your big day ahead.

At the race site: 30-35 minutes from race start.
1.) If your stomach feels up for it, take a power-gel, or a GU pack 30 minutes prior to the race. Take with 6-8 oz water. If it does not seem appealing, then don't worry about it, just avoid it. I have had some athletes say this actually helps to calm their nervous guts.

2.) With full sweats, easy jog 20-25 minutes. Elevate your warm-up pace to slightly under "race-pace" during the last 5 minutes. After the warm-up jog, take 3-5x75M striders with a 1 minute walk back. Go to the starting line with perspiration and a elevated HR.

You are ready jam and you already know the race plan. The race is already taken care of in this 2-3 hour warm-up phase after waking up. If you have a good warm-up, you are maximized to your full potential for that day. Most athletes you compete against will have already failed before the race even starts. Be a professional "Warmer-Upper".

2009-07-10 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2276140

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-07-10 9:35 AM

G
I have a question for you regarding a road bike with clip ons vs a tri bike.

I currently ride a custom Seven road bike and had clips ons installed two weeks ago.  I am slowly getting used to them, but not having the shifter close by is a pain.  On the other hand, I like the flexibility of using the drops or sitting up to climb and the brakes are pretty accessible. The bike fits me like a glove.  I am wondering as I get more used to the aerobars if I will want a tri bike.   My goal pre-season was a Carbon Seven tri bike, but that fell through when Seven realized they could not size it small enough for me.  I recently found out that a carbon tri Parlee is an option, although ridiculously expensive.  How do I cut through all the hype and assess whether riding a road bike with clip ons or a tri bike is best for me?  Assuming all goes well with the HIM, I want to do IM WI next year. 

I saw your Powertap comment to Ken.  Is it the same for me?  I have a CT and love it, but I have thought of getting a PT for the road.

Suzy

I think most athletes will find your current set-up optimal.  You lose a lot of comfort and stability when you shift to a tri-frame.  I'd recommend power as your next purchase.

2009-07-11 4:05 PM

User image

Champion
Hi Kids...hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. My first and only Sprint of the season is behind me!!

#2 AG and #8 female!

Crazy windy this morning with 25mph WNW winds with gusts to who knows made for an interesting day.  The lake was so choppy you could barely see the buoys, but I never paniced. The ride was my best event even in the wind gusts. The cross country run--well what can I say? I hated it, but dealt with it!

4:03 improvement vs year ago so I am pretty happy with the day!!  Saw improvements in all three disciplines, although my strength (running) is definitely NOT what I am hoping to do longer term.

Off to celebrate!

2009-07-11 4:13 PM
in reply to: #2278351

User image

New user
SSMinnow - 2009-07-11 2:05 PM Hi Kids...hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. My first and only Sprint of the season is behind me!!

#2 AG and #8 female!

Crazy windy this morning with 25mph WNW winds with gusts to who knows made for an interesting day.  The lake was so choppy you could barely see the buoys, but I never paniced. The ride was my best event even in the wind gusts. The cross country run--well what can I say? I hated it, but dealt with it!

4:03 improvement vs year ago so I am pretty happy with the day!!  Saw improvements in all three disciplines, although my strength (running) is definitely NOT what I am hoping to do longer term.

Off to celebrate!

NICE!!!  Way to take home the bling! 
2009-07-12 2:32 PM

User image

New user
Couple of quick updates and thoughts:

I have decided to not race until September.  Did a brick yesterday (1:30 on bike, :25 run) at ~135BPM, and felt strong throughout.  I have been working with Mark Allen Online's program, and it has added structure, helps motivate me and I am not burning out.  This is key.  Yesterday's workout got me thinking... do I really want to race in August?  The program does not have me doing anything anaerobic until September, with my A race sprint Nov. 1st.  I decided it's not worth the risk of burnout to mix in a race week, and that base training and building a killer aerobic base will pay off for this year and years to come.  The Nov. 1 race should be fun -- it's the championship race for the Amica sprint series, and being held in my city up at Lake Pleasant.  Challenging course, and sometimes still can be hot in November.

Regarding bikes.  Gordo, thanks so much for your introspection, and mostly for getting me thinking along many different terms on this issue.  I actually sent an email to my bike coach (haven't seen him in a long time) and I think the course of action is to go check on my fit in the next couple of weeks (it can use some tweaking), and he can use my 'cockpit' information to build a profile which will identify which bikes would be best for me.  I trust him implicitly, he is a truly knowledgeable bike guy and has coached his own wife to the world Masters Hour record (Jacqui Lockwood) and tons of other elite folks.  He tells it like it is, and G -- I am pretty sure he will not want me on tri geometry either.

Just wanted to pop in and write an update.  Looks like my run today will be indoors....  out late watching UFC 100 last night, so slept in!  Too hot to run outside.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

ken
2009-07-13 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

S and G- thanks for the 5k info.  In the past I have only stretched.  I will work in some of these ideas for my next race.

2009-07-13 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2278351

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
#2 AG and #8 female!

Congratulations Suzy!  That sounds like a rough swim, but I think it is cool to experience all different conditions on race day.  Good job. 
2009-07-13 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
G- two questions for you:

1- Currently I do NOT do flip turns in the pool, I do an open turn (I think that is what is it called).  Should I work to do flip turns?

2- On your Training Peaks profile you have California 70.3.  Is that in March 2010?  If so, do you do any sort of meet and greet before/after the race, or will you be in "race mode" for the trip?
2009-07-14 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Hey guys, I created a Word doc of all of Gordo's posts so far in our mentor group.  I tried to attach it but it is too big, if you want a copy let me know and I will email it.

Edited by cjhild 2009-07-14 10:50 AM
2009-07-14 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2280892

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-07-13 9:20 AM G- two questions for you:

1- Currently I do NOT do flip turns in the pool, I do an open turn (I think that is what is it called).  Should I work to do flip turns?

2- On your Training Peaks profile you have California 70.3.  Is that in March 2010?  If so, do you do any sort of meet and greet before/after the race, or will you be in "race mode" for the trip?

I think that flip turns are a very useful movement skill for you to learn.  I was a stubborn open turner for my first couple of years.  However, once I bit-the-bullet and learned... it made a big difference to my swim workouts.

Not sure about my Cali plans yet -- if you see me then come on up.  I love meeting people at the races.

2009-07-14 12:16 PM

Expert

Hey peeps - hope all are dong great. Suzy - congrats on your latest race. You are a racing machine! Justin - don't know if you care but I do flip turns because I can and I feel cool ;-) when I do them. I will say that if you are slower they are harder - I learned how by putting on fins and actually accelerating into the wall. Yeah, hard to do at first, that wall is pretty solid, but you need the momentum, or so I am told.

So, pretty sure I broke a toe yesterday, chasing my nine year old son around the house. Doh! Stoopit couch. Thinking I will do a swim/bike/swim GMGBVT this weekend. Maybe will call it the LimpingMan Tri. 

Take care everyone, B

2009-07-15 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
I put in a long ride last Friday.  I went up to a little ghost town kind of place (Pioneertown, they shot a lot of old westerns there back in the day) which I normally ride up to, it is a great ride with ~1,000 climb in elevation and beautiful desert scenery.  Friday I decided to take the ride out a little further and go down a road called Pipes Canyon.  I have lived in the area for about 15 years and had never been on this road.  It takes you through a cool little canyon area and it was beautiful.  The morning was nice and cool, I was feeling strong on the ride and loving the scenery.  After Pipes Canyon you come out onto a narrow busy road back into town.  I had an option to take another route home but decided I wanted to take the busy road.  I was in a spot where the shoulder was very narrow and my front wheel went off the pavement at a spot where there was some sand.  Right when I had my bobble a big rig was going by.  I did not go down but it really freaked me out.  I was thinking all the way home how it could have been REALLY bad.  Cursing myself for not taking the safer route, going to far and telling myself I need to see the kids grow up, etc.  Anyway, I am going to get back out on the bike tomorrow morning.  I will do that ride again but I am going to take the safer route for sure.
2009-07-15 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2286633

User image

Champion
Justin--really glad to hear you are ok. When it comes to riding and running, I think we need to be overly-responsible since most drivers are NOT watching out for us. Things are getting a little testy on parts of the IMWI course between drivers and bikers.  A gravel truck ran me off the road yesterday for the sheer joy of it.  You are smart to take the alternate route!

Babs--how is the foot?

I made big strides on the nutrition side during my long bike ride yesterday.  I have been avoiding Perpeteum since it did not work for me for marathon training, but my coach convinced me to try it again on the bike.  I mixed a a 4oz concentrate (500 cals) and ingested it along with 50 oz water through the 67m.  Worked amazingly well and zero stomach issues.  I know I am still a little light on calories, but great progress so I am pumped.

Heading back up to Minocqua tomorrow for another long weekend.  After swimming in the lakes up there, I cannot stand swimming in the Madison lakes which are now full of algea and weeds!
2009-07-15 10:26 AM

Expert

OMG Justin, glad you are OK. And Suzy, you too!

In our area we have had some road rage incidents, in one part of the county particularly. These @#$%^& have deliberately run cyclists off the road. Do you think we are safer riding alone in the sense that an impatient motorist does not need to inconvenience themselves for too long in waiting to pass one bike as opposed to a long line of cyclists ? I try to ride the nice safe stationary whenever I can to get in bike workouts, figuring fewer hours on these country roads might make for a longer lifespan.

Do either of your areas have bike trails available? When we lived in the Boston area we would would ride for miles and miles on a multi-use trail which had its own limitations for sure but at least we were away from motor vehicle hazards. There is nothing of the kind here: if there was it would see good use.

Oh the foot is colorful. Kind of peacock blue with some hints of green and streaks of purple. Thanks for asking, though. Hey, this is a good opportunity to get back in the pool!

2009-07-15 11:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
We have ZERO bike trails out here.  In our area it usually very good with drivers, I would say 95% of the drivers get way over into the other lane for me when I am out there.  This one was a drag because I think the trucker could have given me more room than he did.  Not only did I have a bit of a moment on my own, this guy was right on me.  I have never had anybody be stupid intentionally, just some people not paying attention I think.  There seem to be threads often on the regular board here on BT about this topic.  I don't know, I typically have very good luck in that department.  Another factor that makes me uneasy is that I work for one of the City governments here and we have a police department.  There was a woman a two years ago who went down on a busy road here and was run over by a big rig, she did not make it.  I saw her gear and bike when they brought it into the police department as evidence.  That kind of sticks with me.
2009-07-15 12:11 PM

Expert

Justin - just driving around is dangerous, too. Hard to believe some of the a$$aholic moves some people do behind the wheel. Yesterday I saw this gansta dude who was driving while, um, lying down. And talking on the phone. Try to keep it in perspective and do what is possible to reduce dangers. Ride real early. Learn to *heart* the trainer. We have a stretch of road here that is not a bike trail but it is quite traffic free and I often retreat there for a safer though boring ride - back and forth back and forth - when I am feeling nervous. I know what you mean, though, about witnessing the aftermath of a crash. When I worked in the ER, people would send the bike accident patients to me to be Xrayed. And I guess it has been a factor to me of how many hours I am willing to spend on the bike in my risk/benefit analysis regarding how long a race I would ever consider training for. It was actually very freeing to find my limits - it helped me be happier and feel successful. Overall, you are doing great things for your cardiovascular system which is, let's face it, the #1 cause of death in this country. Take care and be careful out there.

2009-07-15 12:37 PM
in reply to: #2287151

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Take care and be careful out there.

You too!  It is the old thing where you are much safer than driving in a car.  I am on the road for an hour and a half every day on my work commute, I am surely in more danger in that time than the time I spend on the bike.  It is kind of like plane crashes, they seem so much more dramatic. 

I do the early morning ride thing and that does help a bunch, especially on the weekends.  We just need to limit our exposure as much as possible.  It is a tragedy any time something bad happens while training, but I would much rather take that risk than sitting on the couch eating the WHOLE pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream I used to consume on a near daily basis.

You guys all be safe! 
2009-07-15 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2286748

User image

Champion
Hey Babs

We do have trails in Madison, some are paved and most are rail trails. I used to ride on them, but they don't do a lot to improve my biking--too many stops and starts and too flat.  I just try to be mindful that there are dorks out there that don't like cyclists and do my best not to them off.  The vast majority of motorists in Madison are ok although some do fall under the clueless category by getting to close to you as they pass by.

A friend of mine just finished up sagging for a local guy who did Badwater this year.  He is a cancer survivor with quite the will for adventure finishing in just over 36 hours.  Amazing stuff.

Heading back up to Minocqua tomorrow so everyone have a great weekend.

Suzy
2009-07-16 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Have any of you guys ever done/considered doing an adventure race?  That sounds like fun, I want to try one of those some day.

I hate the stop and start riding Suzy.  I have gotten into riding in our national park which allows me to go non-stop for hours at a time if I wish.

It is finally summer here, 90 degrees by 8:00 am.  Hot!
2009-07-16 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2289490

User image

Champion
cjhild - 2009-07-16 11:35 AM Have any of you guys ever done/considered doing an adventure race?  That sounds like fun, I want to try one of those some day.

I hate the stop and start riding Suzy.  I have gotten into riding in our national park which allows me to go non-stop for hours at a time if I wish.

It is finally summer here, 90 degrees by 8:00 am.  Hot!

It is definitely NOT summer in Minocqua, 55F and raining.  Tomorrow more of the same.  I guess I won't sweat on my long run.  There better be an Indian Summer is all I can say.

Enjoy the weekend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  

of 27