BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2010-02-08 5:00 PM
in reply to: #2557655

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010!
"Assuming you are getting in your weekly long runs & some mid week running, you should finish. Where are you with your long runs? "Hey Richard, I'm at 6 miles outside for a long run once a week. My main concern is that when I started training this season, before deciding on the half-mary, I figured I'd devote about 4 days to the bike because that was definitely my weakest event for tri. Now, I'm not sure if I should abandon that idea and go for 5 days of running to get ready for the half mary. I can try 2 workouts a day, but my job requires a good amount of rest (7th grade teacher inner-city.) Sorry again about the logs. I feel like I'm almost better off posting on here everyday instead of that, I think all the different choices and things get to me. I was never one of those girls who was able to keep up with a diary as a kid lol. I can try though!Did an hour and a half on the trainer today with moderate intensity. I ended sweaty, so that's a good thing in my eyes lol. I did that instead of spin class tonight. On another note, mid-atlantic is about to get another 10-18 inches Tuesday night to Wednesday, better get the shovel out Phil!

2010-02-08 6:34 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Kristen, I had a look at your first post in this thread & it was helpful, to gauge where you are at.

I would be so bold as to make a few comments, here goes... (I am no coach, but do exercise a bit. As we are a group/team, any comments are helpful. Phil is the boss, so he & Nicki may disagree with me & I won't argue)

1. Logs...I like them because they are easy! The most imp is time & distance that you did that day, in the particular discipline. I find the strength part cumbersome & don't use it. The blog comments are optional. I put in a sentence about what my workout was, eg, hills, etc. It adds up you weekly/monthly & yearly training volume, so it easy to see at a glance what you are doing. If you find it easier to post here, fair enough. If you don't want your logs public, mark as private & then add the group as friends...only the group can view them then.

2. You seem new at this, but running a 28min 5k, indicates you do have some fitness!!! That is good, especially if you were a couch potato when you ran it!

3. Run... Your long run is very important. Would increase about 10% per week. If you are at 6 miles, would go up 1 mile per week, if your body tolerates. With 6 weeks, that should get to to 13 miles (Half mary). With a week to spare , would cut back to 5-6 miles week prior & the race week after. If your body does not tolerate the increases, take a "pullback week" in about 4 weeks. If you are cycling well, you would probably be OK with run 4 days per week, with 2 cycling as cross-training. This will still help cardio & legs for running. The weekly runs, I would do "regular runs", not speedwork in such a short period of time. If the half Mary course is hilly, I would do a weekly hill training session as one of my runs. The are tough workouts & would stop these 2 weeks prior to race. Your regular weekday runs should get to 4-6 miles each

4. Cycling...Your focus now seems to be Half Mary...you could keep at twice per week cycling/spin & when Half mary over, do more cycle & less run.

5. Double Workouts...The are tough & for the very dedicated. From your post, You don't seem keen. I would not do them yet. I suspect you will burn out & hate the training. The training is the best part in my opinion! Time constraints are something we all have to deal with.

6. Swim...I gather you are a good swimmer, so I can't advise on this. Maybe you can share some advice on this!!!

Anyway, there are some ideas that I had. With this you should finish a Half mary!

Do you think this do-able?

R

PS. Long runs are much easier with a partner. Are you a member of a group or do you have a running partner. Also, remember long run is usually slow. It is for endurance, not speed. You should be able to maintain a conversation during the long run!!!

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-02-08 6:48 PM
2010-02-08 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2662249

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
GoGoGo - 2010-02-08 7:34 PMKristen, I had a look at your first post in this thread & it was helpful, to gauge where you are at.

I would be so bold as to make a few comments, here goes... (I am no coach, but do exercise a bit. As we are a group/team, any comments are helpful. Phil is the boss, so he & Nicki may disagree with me & I won't argue)

1. Logs...I like them because they are easy! The most imp is time & distance that you did that day, in the particular discipline. I find the strength part cumbersome & don't use it. The blog comments are optional. I put in a sentence about what my workout was, eg, hills, etc. It adds up you weekly/monthly & yearly training volume, so it easy to see at a glance what you are doing. If you find it easier to post here, fair enough. If you don't want your logs public, mark as private & then add the group as friends...only the group can view them then.

2. You seem new at this, but running a 28min 5k, indicates you do have some fitness!!! That is good, especially if you were a couch potato when you ran it!

3. Run... Your long run is very important. Would increase about 10% per week. If you are at 6 miles, would go up 1 mile per week, if your body tolerates. With 6 weeks, that should get to to 13 miles (Half mary). With a week to spare , would cut back to 5-6 miles week prior & the race week after. If your body does not tolerate the increases, take a "pullback week" in about 4 weeks. If you are cycling well, you would probably be OK with run 4 days per week, with 2 cycling as cross-training. This will still help cardio & legs for running. The weekly runs, I would do "regular runs", not speedwork in such a short period of time. If the half Mary course is hilly, I would do a weekly hill training session as one of my runs. The are tough workouts & would stop these 2 weeks prior to race. Your regular weekday runs should get to 4-6 miles each

4. Cycling...Your focus now seems to be Half Mary...you could keep at twice per week cycling/spin & when Half mary over, do more cycle & less run.

5. Double Workouts...The are tough & for the very dedicated. From your post, You don't seem keen. I would not do them yet. I suspect you will burn out & hate the training. The training is the best part in my opinion! Time constraints are something we all have to deal with.

6. Swim...I gather you are a good swimmer, so I can't advise on this. Maybe you can share some advice on this!!!

Anyway, there are some ideas that I had. With this you should finish a Half mary!

Do you think this do-able?

R

PS. Long runs are much easier with a partner. Are you a member of a group or do you have a running partner. Also, remember long run is usually slow. It is for endurance, not speed. You should be able to maintain a conversation during the long run!!!
don't disagree at all!! Excellent.
2010-02-08 7:48 PM

User image

New user
1. Logs...I like them because they are easy! The most imp is time & distance that you did that day, in the particular discipline. I find the strength part cumbersome & don't use it. The blog comments are optional. I put in a sentence about what my workout was, eg, hills, etc. It adds up you weekly/monthly & yearly training volume, so it easy to see at a glance what you are doing. If you find it easier to post here, fair enough. If you don't want your logs public, mark as private & then add the group as friends...only the group can view them then. 2. You seem new at this, but running a 28min 5k, indicates you do have some fitness!!! That is good, especially if you were a couch potato when you ran it! 3. Run... Your long run is very important. Would increase about 10% per week. If you are at 6 miles, would go up 1 mile per week, if your body tolerates. With 6 weeks, that should get to to 13 miles (Half mary). With a week to spare , would cut back to 5-6 miles week prior & the race week after. If your body does not tolerate the increases, take a "pullback week" in about 4 weeks. If you are cycling well, you would probably be OK with run 4 days per week, with 2 cycling as cross-training. This will still help cardio & legs for running. The weekly runs, I would do "regular runs", not speedwork in such a short period of time. If the half Mary course is hilly, I would do a weekly hill training session as one of my runs. The are tough workouts & would stop these 2 weeks prior to race. Your regular weekday runs should get to 4-6 miles each 4. Cycling...Your focus now seems to be Half Mary...you could keep at twice per week cycling/spin & when Half mary over, do more cycle & less run. 5. Double Workouts...The are tough & for the very dedicated. From your post, You don't seem keen. I would not do them yet. I suspect you will burn out & hate the training. The training is the best part in my opinion! Time constraints are something we all have to deal with. 6. Swim...I gather you are a good swimmer, so I can't advise on this. Maybe you can share some advice on this!!! Anyway, there are some ideas that I had. With this you should finish a Half mary! Do you think this do-able?"First and foremost I take and appreciate all advice I can get, so please don't feel bad giving your opinion. 1. This week I'm going to work on the logs, that's my promise!2. I do feel more comfortable running, but again I haven't run longer than 3.1 in a race, and I'm worried I'm going to burn out if I don't pace myself well.3. Part of the problem with running these days is that I hate the cold and I hate the treadmill. I also don't think the treadmill will give me a realistic pace do go by, especially with the terrain. The course is pretty flat with small inclines, so I think I should be ok. I've decided to man up and try the outdoors whenever it's not snowing the rest of the month, at least twice a week. Went out with the hubby to be and picked up some thermal pants, gloves, and earwarmers so I have no excuses lol. I also think I can go much further outside.4. Since I have the trainer right in my house now, I think Ill be more prone to jumping on it after a run, even if it's just a cool-down.5. The only real double workouts I can do is bricks. Like I said, mornings are rough, I'm still cranky at 9:00 in the morning. Once summer comes around and I'm off, I can work out all day everyday lol.6. I won't say I'm the greatest swimmer but I feel comfortable, even in murky lakes lol. My only swim concern is that I again won't pace myself and go out too fast. Since the only swims I've done are 1/4 miles, I've been able to go out fast and do fine. I will be doing 1/2 miles this summer, but I don't think that will be too bad for me, and to be honest, besides Sunday workouts, I'm barely touching swimming till I get the other 2 up to par, so I will probably start doing more swimming once the half-mary is over.7. My workout partners are my ipod and my dog tebow lol. I did join a tri team that runs 2 days a week out of a running shop nearby. I'm just scared I'm not fast enough to keep up. Should I call and ask what their pace is?Thanks again for the advice, I welcome it all!!
2010-02-08 7:49 PM

User image

New user
ahhhh how do I space things out??? sorry about that!!!
2010-02-08 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2662338

User image

Expert
Canada
Kristen8040 - 2010-02-08 9:49 PM ahhhh how do I space things out??? sorry about that!!!

Since you brought it up...we gotta get you 'puter classes...wow, that last post is difficult to read!!  

OK here we go again! Read...read...ReadInnocent 

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-02-08 8:20 PM

2010-02-08 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2662338

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
Kristen8040 - 2010-02-08 7:49 PM ahhhh how do I space things out??? sorry about that!!!
<p>
Kristen, are you using a Mac and Safari?

2010-02-08 8:33 PM

User image

New user
yes

mac

and

safari

did it work??

2010-02-08 8:35 PM

User image

New user
let's try it again!!!

"Do you think this do-able?"

First and foremost I take and appreciate all advice I can get, so please don't feel bad giving your opinion.

1. This week I'm going to work on the logs, that's my promise!

2. I do feel more comfortable running, but again I haven't run longer than 3.1 in a race, and I'm worried I'm going to burn out if I don't pace myself well.

3. Part of the problem with running these days is that I hate the cold and I hate the treadmill. I also don't think the treadmill will give me a realistic pace do go by, especially with the terrain. The course is pretty flat with small inclines, so I think I should be ok. I've decided to man up and try the outdoors whenever it's not snowing the rest of the month, at least twice a week. Went out with the hubby to be and picked up some thermal pants, gloves, and earwarmers so I have no excuses lol. I also think I can go much further outside.

4. Since I have the trainer right in my house now, I think Ill be more prone to jumping on it after a run, even if it's just a cool-down.

5. The only real double workouts I can do is bricks. Like I said, mornings are rough, I'm still cranky at 9:00 in the morning. Once summer comes around and I'm off, I can work out all day everyday lol.

6. I won't say I'm the greatest swimmer but I feel comfortable, even in murky lakes lol. My only swim concern is that I again won't pace myself and go out too fast. Since the only swims I've done are 1/4 miles, I've been able to go out fast and do fine. I will be doing 1/2 miles this summer, but I don't think that will be too bad for me, and to be honest, besides Sunday workouts, I'm barely touching swimming till I get the other 2 up to par, so I will probably start doing more swimming once the half-mary is over.

7. My workout partners are my ipod and my dog tebow lol. I did join a tri team that runs 2 days a week out of a running shop nearby. I'm just scared I'm not fast enough to keep up. Should I call and ask what their pace is?

Thanks again for the advice, I welcome it all!!

2010-02-08 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2662418

User image

Expert
Canada
Kristen8040 - 2010-02-08 10:33 PMyes

mac

and

safari

did it work??

WhooHoooo!!!!!
2010-02-09 5:04 AM
in reply to: #2662418

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
Kristen8040 - 2010-02-08 8:33 PM yes

mac

and

safari

did it work??

So, did you do the Shift F5 thingy or add the "<p>" in there ?

2010-02-09 6:07 AM

User image

New user
I did <"p>
2010-02-09 6:46 AM
in reply to: #2662422

Extreme Veteran
Kristen8040 - 2010-02-08 9:35 PM let's try it again!!!

"Do you think this do-able?"

3. Part of the problem with running these days is that I hate the cold and I hate the treadmill. I also don't think the treadmill will give me a realistic pace do go by, especially with the terrain. The course is pretty flat with small inclines, so I think I should be ok. I've decided to man up and try the outdoors whenever it's not snowing the rest of the month, at least twice a week. Went out with the hubby to be and picked up some thermal pants, gloves, and earwarmers so I have no excuses lol. I also think I can go much further outside.

So, what do you hate more, the cold or the treadmill?  Look at some of the "running in the cold" threads.  The big thing is to keep your hands, head and torso warm.  You legs will keep themselves warm.  Also, if its dark, get a reflective vest and a blinking light.  I ran this morning at 23F, and wear pretty much the same things between 17 and 30:  "lightweight" tights or running pants, plain old cotton gym socks, short sleeve tech shirt, long sleeve tech shirt, light jacket, reflective vest, Carhart watchcap (from Dick's hunting section, its bright yellow), cheapie gloves (soft and absorbant for double duty as a hankie).  I'm cold when I start but after 10-15 minutes I warm up fine.  The only trick is that I can't stop or I'll get too cold

6. I won't say I'm the greatest swimmer but I feel comfortable, even in murky lakes lol. My only swim concern is that I again won't pace myself and go out too fast. Since the only swims I've done are 1/4 miles, I've been able to go out fast and do fine. I will be doing 1/2 miles this summer, but I don't think that will be too bad for me, and to be honest, besides Sunday workouts, I'm barely touching swimming till I get the other 2 up to par, so I will probably start doing more swimming once the half-mary is over.

Personally, I'm putting the bike on hold to get the swimming better.  It was my worst event last year.  Swimming also seems like the hardest skill to master so I felt it was worth the extra time.  After my marathon, I'm going to cut back on my running and bike a lot more but keep the swimming high too.

When is the half marathon?  and how many miles a week are you running?

2010-02-09 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2662757

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
Kristen8040 - 2010-02-09 6:07 AM I did <"p>

you can also hit - "shift F5" before you start typing and that will fix it...  I am also using a Mac
2010-02-09 12:14 PM

User image

Regular
Any of you hear from "Masi 68" No post or training log updated in a while. I hope he is ok..   
2010-02-09 1:32 PM

User image

Regular
My Plan:  Looking at race calendars I found a 1/2 Marathon on Sunday April 11th.  I was looking at Hal Higdons 1/2 marithon novice plan.   http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

The last few long runs I have done have been 6 miles & my average weekly miles are 15 to 18. I saw that his plan calls for a 5K race at week 6.  I figure If I pick up this training schedule at week 7 after my 5K on the 20th of this month it will nearly match up perfect. I'll repeat a week so it matches the 7 weeks till the 1/2 Marithon in April.  Here is the link to the 1/2 Marithon.  Race is about an hour form the house.  http://www.angieshalfcrazy.com/ 

Anyone see a problem with doing this? 

2010-02-09 2:12 PM

User image

New user
"So, what do you hate more, the cold or the treadmill?  Look at some of the "running in the cold" threads.  The big thing is to keep your hands, head and torso warm.  You legs will keep themselves warm.  Also, if its dark, get a reflective vest and a blinking light.  I ran this morning at 23F, and wear pretty much the same things between 17 and 30:  "lightweight" tights or running pants, plain old cotton gym socks, short sleeve tech shirt, long sleeve tech shirt, light jacket, reflective vest, Carhart watchcap (from Dick's hunting section, its bright yellow), cheapie gloves (soft and absorbant for double duty as a hankie).  I'm cold when I start but after 10-15 minutes I warm up fine.  The only trick is that I can't stop or I'll get too cold"

I hate the treadmill more currently, but that will change in a few months when it's hot lol.   Went out last night and got some gloves, earwarmers, and thermal pants.   I've only been doing about 10-12 miles per week because I was concentrating on the bike before deciding to do the half mary, so now I've got to switch up my plan.  I figure this week doing 4, 3 mile runs and 1, 6 mile run.  thoughts?  I know I should have started earlier, but the decision just hit me.  I'm a bit of a procrastinator.
2010-02-09 2:23 PM

User image

Regular
If your current base is 13 to 15 miles use the link in my above post and checkout Hal Higdons 1/2 Marry training plan you should be able to pick it up where you may fall into the milage and use it to get to the race.  Lets see what some of the others think.. When is the 1/2 marithon you want  to do?
2010-02-09 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Legs are bit stiff from sunday...went to gym & spun for 45 minutes. Feels much better. Lactic Acid washout, I suppose.

To the pool tonite...my nemesis!!!

R

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-02-09 3:00 PM
2010-02-09 4:00 PM

User image

New user
half mary is April 18th!

here is the site for it:

http://www.cgiracing.com/unite.aspx

2010-02-09 5:08 PM
in reply to: #2664218

Extreme Veteran

Like Sawfish said - get a plan.  The Higdon plans are pretty good.  I used his plan last year for my marathon and it worked out OK.  I'm using his plan, sort of, this year too. 

Based on a quick check, you should should fall nicely into week six of the plan in Sawfish's link.

Really though, get a plan.  Flitting about without any real structure won't help you out.  A goal race and a plan will force you to get your butt up on the morning and out the door (or onto the 'mill).  It will really cut down on all the excuses we're all so really good at coming up with.

2010-02-09 7:35 PM

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
Well, had another brick type workout this evening. I wished I could do all my workouts early in the day. By the evening, my motivation slips.. I got out and got it done though..

Started with a 40 min ride on the spin bike. My heart rate stayed between 115-130. Jumped off the bike and right no the tread mill. Total run time was 34 mins but did some interval training..

8 mins - 6.0 mph

3 mins - 6.5 mph

3 mins - 6.0 mph

3 mins - 6.6 mph

3 mins - 6.0 mph

3 mins - 6.7 mph

3 mins - 6.0 mph

3 mins - 6.8 mph

5 mins - 6.0 mph

This was a fairly tough run for me. I have done some intervals but I have been doing a 3:1 run/walk deal and it was working nicely. I think my new coach has ditched that idea. haha.. Looks like I will be running more.

Got a long bike ride tomorrow but the weather here is going to suck. Looks like I will be inside on a spin bike. I really hate that. We should only have a few more weeks here and the weather should make a turn for the better. Good thing. I have 6 weeks to my half marathon and 13 to my HIM... Lots to get accomplished and a short time to get there. Everyday, I wonder if I am going to get there......

You guys have a great evening and get some sleep..

2010-02-09 7:59 PM

User image

New user
Point taken, Higdon is hanging on the fridge.
2010-02-09 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2664649

Extreme Veteran
Kristen8040 - 2010-02-09 8:59 PM Point taken, Higdon is hanging on the fridge.

Great!!

Now tell all your friends.  Smile
2010-02-10 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2663923

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
Kristen8040 - 2010-02-09 2:12 PM "So, what do you hate more, the cold or the treadmill?  )

Let me just say that I now hate the cold.   And I know it does not get really cold in Georgia but I have had enough of it.

I work outside for the most part on the boat.  I have been for almost 12 years.  The past 15 months, I dropped 80-90 pounds and now I can not stay warm.  I dont know if it is the weight loss or the fact that I am getting older.  Undecided  I am like a little girl now.  Dont take that personally.  When I come home from my fishing trips in the winter, it now takes me hours to get my body warmed back up.  Before, I would be fine after 10 mins in the truck with the heater on.   I do OK while I am out on the boat but it really takes me a while to get my core temp back up.

I am starting to love the heat and hate the cold.  I am sooooooooooo ready for some 60 degree days.  We have been in the teens to 20's every night and only 30's for the high. Then throw in rain and clouds every single day and I am about to go nuts.....   In the past three to four weeks, we have had three sunny days.  Thats it...

Usually by mid to late February, we start to get a few breaks.  Next week is looking OK as of right now.  We will see.

But to answer your question, I dont mind the treadmill nearly as much as the cold. !@@@##@!!@!@@@#

Good luck with your half marathon training.  I am right there with you.  I have never ran anything over a 5K and I have my first half marry on March 21st....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  

of 35