BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-07-22 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2778561

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED
Good luck to everyone on their races! Can't wait to see the results!

2010-07-22 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2998804

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Kory, I followed a half marathon plan over the winter (off-season) and it worked great.  It was a free Hal Higdon, beginner, mainly to allow me to finish, not race!  I was running pretty slow when I started, maybe round a 12 minute mile.  The plan called for 4 days a week and I followed it faithfully, maybe changing the days around, but I got almost all the runs in.  I ran the half at a 10:45 pace, I was ecstatic!!  I also saw huge improvements in my normal run times because of the extra volume.  BUT... because it was off-season and cold, I didn't do much biking at all.  I've been unable to replicate all that while tri training because, like Janet, the bike really trashes my legs and throw the heat in on top of that... I just couldn't maintain that volume and recover well.   I found the plan online, in fact I've downloaded the intermediate plan that I intend to follow for a Dec. half marathon.
I think the beginner plan is 12 weeks which m would work out perfectly for an Oct. 10th race!  you cold start on Monday!  Ithink you could do both and still tri train because it starts off pretty easy and then builds each week.

Here's a link to his plans:  http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm
2010-07-22 6:12 PM

Veteran
Hilde,

I actually printed that one off this morning! Great minds must think alike . . .

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

k
2010-07-22 6:58 PM
in reply to: #2998864

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kory-I also say GO FOR IT on the 1/2- I did 2 of them last winter (pre-tri) and had lots of fun. I'll offer you a different perspective- because I get running injuries if I run too often, I only ran once a week (and cross-trained). Believe it or not, this worked- I ran a sub- 10 pace on my last one! So, if it's too much to combine tri training and a running plan, consider just lengthening your long run gradually until you get to around 10-11 miles. I never ran longer than that in training, but finished the race without walking. You can definitely do this!Good luck to all our racers this weekend! I'm headed to Yellowstone on Sunday, so I'll be in and out of touch next week, and who knows WHAT my training will look like!Turtle
2010-07-22 8:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Kory - sounds like you've gotten all the advice you need on training for the half...go for it! I've done 3 of them (before deciding to train for a TRI) and hope to find one to do around here in the fall.

Good luck to all the racers this weekend - Hilde, how do you beat a 1st in AG performance? You're already the queen up there! Kick some behind!
2010-07-23 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2999067

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
At my age, one award trumps 1st AG and that's the masters award or grandmasters award.  Masters is for fastest female 40+, grandmasters is 50+ (which they don't always have).  So technically I was 2nd AG, but the 1st place gal took the Masters award... but then she showed up for the Temple tri and I won 1st AG over her fair and square, by aobout 8 seconds, ha ha!  I'm hoping the amazon, androgynous (Sp?) chick from Austin doesn't show up to Waco, she's really messing up my bling mojo...

2010-07-23 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
Good luck all you racers this weekend!  Hilde, you have really progressed in all this over the two years you've done it (didn't you say you just started last year?)  It gives me hope for next season.   It seems that my big goals for this year have just been to finish.  Seems that if I don't have a race paid for I too easily blow off training.  I guess I need to get registered for a sprint in Aug, maybe Sept and go ahead and register for that oly in Oct.  That'll be the end of my season.  I'd, also, like to train for a half marathon in the hopes it would help my run times for next year.  There are a couple of big half marathons around here in the fall/winter what with being close to Disney.  Maybe if it was cooler I might like running again......  I'll also save my pennies to buy a new bike next year.  My daughter told me she didn't think she'd be ready for the oly in Oct so I'll be able to ride her bike.  Yay!!
2010-07-23 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2999644

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Yes, just started last year...  and I have improved over last year, approached my training differently this year.  Swim is about the same, bike is a bit faster, run is quite a bit faster.  I was doing a LOT of swim training last year because I was competing in Sr. Games, and I decided to just maintain the swim and really work on the bike and the run.  Still not getting the volume I'd like, heat and humidity have played a big part in that!  Training for the half marathon REALLY helped my run, so I am excited about training for another in Dec. (start the plan mid-Sept) and then will hopefully do another end of Feb., which should hopefully really improve my run by next tri season!

I'm with you, Peggy, on having to have a race on the calendar to work for, although I am actually looking forward to nothing scheduled after my Aug. 8th tri.  I do hope to do one in Oct., but I haven't registered for it yet.  The racing has messed with my training, ha ha!!  I won't put in a high volume week right before a race and it seems like my races have been pretty close together.  I'll have about 8 weeks before the Oct tri, which is the Trek, all-women, really big, so I'll hopefully be able to go into that one feeling strong!!  It has a longer swim, 750 meters, so that is a big advantage for me!
2010-07-23 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
That's really inspiring to read, Hilde-- how fantastic that you were able to leap forward in your training in such a short period of time! Definitely got that bling mojo thing working for you!

All this talk of half-marathons has me wondering if I want to do one after the Oly at the end of August. Trouble is, the big half here is in mid-September, I think, which strikes me as WAY too close to the Oly to make it work. Will have to search and see what halves I can find to make it workable, since working on my running is definitely a goal.

I'm singing along with the "Heat Messes Up My Training" choir, too-- the humidity around here is un -be-friggin'-lievable! I thought swimming was only ONE of the tri elements, not two!
2010-07-26 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
Does anyone know how to look at previous months totals?  I can see July and June on my blog, but am wondering how May compares to July. 
2010-07-26 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3004539

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Peggy, there may be an easier way to do this, but this will work.  Go to your training page, and look for the band that has "Jump to" (towards the top of the window), and click on Calendar.  From there, you can click to the month you want to see and at the bottom of your calendar will be your monthly totals.  It may work with the graphs too... not sure.

2010-07-26 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2999505

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
hildekq - 2010-07-23 8:32 AM At my age, one award trumps 1st AG and that's the masters award or grandmasters award.  Masters is for fastest female 40+, grandmasters is 50+ (which they don't always have).  So technically I was 2nd AG, but the 1st place gal took the Masters award... but then she showed up for the Temple tri and I won 1st AG over her fair and square, by aobout 8 seconds, ha ha!  I'm hoping the amazon, androgynous (Sp?) chick from Austin doesn't show up to Waco, she's really messing up my bling mojo...

So, Hilde, I found some recent occurences rather amusing in light of your post the other day.  Would care to share with the rest of the group the amazing feat that you pulled off this past weekend?  I've been patiently waiting for you to make your grand annoucement but it hasn't come so I'm just going to have to call you out.

Ladies and gentlemen, let's just say that momma Hilde is much more badass than she let's on around here and now she has the hardware to prove it! 
2010-07-26 8:25 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
I hope it doesn't blow the surprise (Tongue out), but here's a hint...

Proof of Hilde's badassery!
2010-07-26 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3006185

Sulcus - 2010-07-26 8:25 PM I hope it doesn't blow the surprise (Tongue out), but here's a hint...

Proof of Hilde's badassery!

We are not worthy....We are not worthy....

Way to go Hilde!  You will always be the Grand Master Champion in my heart! 

Carl
2010-07-27 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3006220

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Okay, Shawn called me out... I had all the info in my blog, it kinda seemed like double dipping to post over here too...  so yeah, I did pretty well in my race, ha ha!!  The first time I heard the "Master's Award" I had no idea what it was!  Ironically it was in the same tri last year, a woman got the Master's Award and that meant 1st AG rolled down to ME!!!  The Master's Award is for first place male or female (one each) age 40 or over, Grandmasters, the same deal, age 50 and over, so this year I got the female Grandmaster's award!!  What was kinda funny is my daughter came along to take pics, and had to go change the grandson and figured she had plenty of time since they would do the younger AG's first, but I was the 3rd person called after Overall Female winner and the Masters!!  She missed the whole thing! 

I guess I was just really ready for this race mentally, since I did it last year and was familiar with the course.  Deep water swim start and only about 3-4 people actually started right from the buoy, everyone else in the wave was about 10-15 feet back hugging the shoreline??  So I got a good start, a little body bouncing, but pretty much clear water until I caught up with the next wave and even some of the really slow swimmer from the wave before that!  I was the first woman out of the water from my wave.  Long run up and back this ramp to T1, ran the whole thing, got off on the bike and immediately started passing people... a few men passed me and I was able to pass a few of them back... the bike course is basically fast, smooth, and flat, I don't know why so many people seemed to be going so slow!!  I smoked the bike course last year and was able to go even a little faster this year!  Only race I've been able to top 20 mph!  Back to T2, would have been faster but I started messing with my Garmin, and finally gave up and turned it off.  I don't know why it goes wonky every time I race??!  Next race I'm gonna mount it to the bike and leave it.... not like looking at my run pace will make me run any faster when I'm dying, ha ha!  Headed out for the run.... flat pave course along the river, lots of trees and the only hills are at the turnaround to to up and over the bridge to cross the river, and then again about 1/4 mile from the finish to go up and cross back over.  This race is unique in that you run across a historic pedestrian bridge that crosses the river (and the swim was below it) and the finish line is at the end of the bridge.  VERY cool!  I did walk a few times in the run, twice on the uphills just to catch my breath and rest my legs for a few seconds.  Ran hard across the bridge.  No one in my AG passed me on the bike or the run so I knew I had done pretty well, but I had no idea if someone had come out of the water ahead of me.  I tried to get in to see the results posted at the finish, but it was so crowded, I decided to just be surprised when they did the awards, and boy, was I!  It was a great race, I really felt like I did my best, only thing was that I probably COULD have run the whole thing, no, I KNOW I could have, I really have to get over that weenieness!  I was lucky, the gal that came in behind me was only 15 seconds off my time!! 

Thank you all for all the inspires both before and after the race!! 
2010-07-27 7:09 AM

User image

Veteran
:cheer:
:hyper-jumping:
:cheer:

You rock Hilde! Thanks for posting the story over here - we deserve to hear it here - don't ya think! We need to gush over our fearless leader's super awesome accomplishment!!!!!! Oh, an you're right "weenie" you COULD have run the whole thing! LOL!

2010-07-27 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3006605

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh, Grand Master, we humbly bow before your awesomeness! Your race report was really inspiring, Hilde- way to go, girl!
2010-07-28 2:23 PM

Veteran
Hilde,

You are simply amazing. An inspiring, speedy woman! I think you need to require everyone address you as grand master of the universe for at least a week.

Way to go.

-k
2010-07-29 6:11 AM
in reply to: #3010497

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Aw shucks guys... thanks!

We have RACERS this weekend!!!  Kory and Jordan both have tris on Saturday and Tammy (TTucker) has one on Sunday... send some love!!
2010-07-29 6:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Just so nobody sends out the search dogs...I'm going to be among the missing until next Wednesday.  I'm heading up north for some SISTER TIME!!  (Really, I have 3 sisters and we have a "sister's retreat" every summer)  Sisters ROCK!  Anyways, good luck to all the racers this weekend.  I look forward to reading the full race reports.  Later.
2010-07-30 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
Ok, I did it ... I registered for the olympic tri in October.  (Sometimes I put planned races on my blog but then delete them - no real commitment.)  Now I'm committed!  The rules said I have to be finished by 4 hours.  I sure hope I can!  By my calculations, based on previous tris, it'll be close!  My goal is 3:50.  We'll see .....Tongue out

2010-07-30 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3013760

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
You guys are seriously stepping up with all the Oly's!!  Peggy you can do it!!  I did my Oly last year in 3:20something, and I basically walked the whole run, so I have no doubt you can finish under 4 hours.  Be sure to check out Marsha's and Alex's race reports after their Oly's and I'm sure they'll have lots of advice for you (and all of us!).  Now that you are committed, no time to slack on the training!! 
2010-07-30 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3013931

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
Hilde, it's actually the swim I'm worried about.  I can't believe how slow my swim is.  I bought the swim "thingy" in a binder (bad memory and it's not handy to check) and for the T-pace chart it only went as slow as 2:00 per 100.  My T-pace is 2:13!!!  My last complete mile was 42 minutes!  When I checked last year's times on the race, no one did a mile over 40 minutes! - No one - not even people older than me.  So I've got two months to improve that swim time.
2010-07-30 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
You can do it Peggy! Swimming a race is different than swimming training...the adrenaline will make up those few extra minutes and you can certainly work at gaining speed in the next 2 months. I KNOW you can do it!
2010-07-30 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3015103

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
Thanks for the encouragement Marsha!  I sure hope I can do it ... we'll see.  In any event I've paid for it so I'm commited. Tongue out
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41