BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-02-07 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3271048

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED
So far I got the kind of answers that I figured I would get. Practice changing the tubes and using whatever inflation device you plan on having with you.

True story: Guy I coached last year did IMLP as his first IM. He got 3 flats! Best part was is that he was going crazy b/c of inactivity during the taper. I told him when he got bored he should practicing changing tubes. He was glad I suggested that. Even with 3 flats he finished in 11 hrs flat.

Don't rely on the neutral support vehicles. They are out there but it could take a loooooong time for them to come your way.

My suggestion would be to use some old tubes and buy a bunch of extra CO2's and practice a lot. It's not 'wasted' money if you consider that most of you will be spending ~$400-500 for HIM and easily 2-3 times that for IM (fee, travel, hotel etc). 'Wasting' this money now could be the difference between finishing and a DNF.

You should be able to remove the rear wheel w/o ever touching the chain. Make sure you shift into your smallest cog up front and in back to get maximum slack in the chain. Undo the skewer and wiggle the wheel out. Reverse to put it back on.

For IM I will carry 2 tubes, 3 CO2's and 2 different inflators (I've had 1 blow up in my hand so I carry 2 now). I also carry 3 tire levers, a small patch kit and a small piece of thick cloth b/c when you discharge those CO2's while you are holding them they get REALLY cold. I also have 2 tubes and 2 CO2's in my special needs for IM. Is it overkill? Probably but I like to be prepared. Most of you are probably thinking "Holy crap that must weigh a ton". For me, I'd rather have it that not have it just to save a bit of weight.

So how about the rest of you?

Jamie

2011-02-07 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
I got in a 1hr master swim this morning and a 5 mile run over lunch. First swim and run in a week!

Jamie
2011-02-07 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
On the schedule for this evening; 40 mins strength training and 35 mins in the pool.
2011-02-07 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3343127

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
AOTD:  I can change the rear - I have only had 1 flat so far and now I am set up with the co2 and the extra tube.  I have 3 co2 due that since I have never used them I will mess the first one up.

so yes - I will be practicing soon!

Pinced a muscle or nerve in my upper back/ lower neck - during a strecth Sunday morning.  Neck is still sore but will try to hit the pool tomorrow.  Might be diffulct to breath since turning the head side to side is tough but we will see what happens!
2011-02-07 7:24 PM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
Well, got my weight training done, but the pool was closed...morons.  Re-opens tomorrow so I guess I'll have to go tomorrow morning. 

2011-02-07 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
Well I can change a flat but i'm slow. I did practice last year and I will do the same this time around. I carry an extra tube and a very small pump. About 5" long, but will move to co cart. this year.

2011-02-08 3:06 AM
in reply to: #3344099

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
mpdiotte - 2011-02-07 8:56 PM

Well I can change a flat but i'm slow. I did practice last year and I will do the same this time around. I carry an extra tube and a very small pump. About 5" long, but will move to co cart. this year.

Nothing wrong with carrying a mini pump. Often they are more reliable than the CO2. Use what you are comfortable with.

Jamie
2011-02-08 3:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
QOTD:

Whats next on your shopping/wish list for tri stuff?

Strangely enough I don't think I want any new tri gear beyond the expendable stuff (shorts, shoes, gel, chamois cream, tires etc). I bet my wife will be very happy to hear that! I guess over the past several years I've read the hype surrounding all of the stuff. I've tried most of it. In restrospect, all I really need is my existing bike and my powertap so I can improve the engine. I guess I need a new hobby!

Jamie
2011-02-08 7:26 AM

User image

New user
I can change both tires and I carry 2 tubes and multiple CO2 cartridges.  I had never gotten a flat in a race or a ride until last year when I got flats on consecutive training rides in the middle of nowhere...

I am still debating on what to get next.  I just bought a new Cobb seat (waiting for it to be delivered...) I am looking at new GPS unit and/or powertap...

2011-02-08 7:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

For HIM and IM I'll carry 3 tubes with me, 4 CO2's, 2 tire irons, and now I'm considering two of the CO2 discharge tools (thanks Jamie).   I'll probably put a couple of tubes and CO2 cartridges in my special needs bag as well.  I have a friend who did IMSTG last year and during one of his training rides he got 4 flats. It hilarious going riding with him because he has tubes strapped all over his bike.

Anyone ever had a need for an extra tire during a race?

AOTD: I will buy more of the expendable stuff as well. The only other thing I need is a good lightweight hat for running. I'm not in any hurry to buy that though until summer. Big on my wish list is a powertap. I've spent far too much money on tri for a while though, so that will be waiting.

40 minute run today and a swim lesson this afternoon

2011-02-08 7:39 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Great Superbowl and an epic weekend for me that I couldn't have scripted any better.  I posted some pictures in my BT album for those of you who want to take a look.  I have a lot more pictures (which I posted in FB), but didn't post them here bc it takes too much time (having to shrink & re-save them all).

As far as AQOD, I carry 1 tube with 2 CO2 cartridges.  I can change both tires pretty easily, but have never used the CO2 cartridges before to fill.  So that is on my bucket list to practice.  I also think for HIM I might carry 2 tubes (although I am not sure by bag can fit two of them).

2011-02-08 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3344326

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
jamiej - 2011-02-08 4:12 AM QOTD: Whats next on your shopping/wish list for tri stuff?  

Well I just bought a new Jamis Comet tri bike and some minor upgrades like a Cobb saddle and compact crank for it.  Depending how things go later, I'm eyeing a set of those Flo aero wheels which should technically be ready to ship before my HIM in Sept.  Other than that, just the usuall nutrition stuff, and some running shoes as they get worn out.

Did my swim this AM, and have a scheduled 11k this evening.

2011-02-08 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
Did a 40min swim this morning and will do an hr on the bike tonightQOTD - I'm broke. Far to much spent with a new bike and all. I'm thinking of returning my rollers for a wetsuit. But that's it other than runners and nutrition stuff.
2011-02-08 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
Lots of slacking from me between work travel and being sick.  Feels like I havent had a decent workout in weeks.  Anyways, hoping for a decent run tonight if the weather holds out, the one decent thing about being in NYC is that theres always somewhere to run outside.

AOTD:  Im looking to get some decent tools for working on the bike.  Among other "requirements" before I will buy a new bike, I want to be able to do all the work on it myself and theres just some tools you cant do without.  Im staying away from just buying a set that has too much unneeded filler in it, so its a slow process of buying tools as I have a need for them.
2011-02-08 11:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the CO2 tips!! I can't wait to practice!!! Got my 45 min w/strides in this AM and my swim done at lunch today. Felt pretty good!
AQOD: I really really want a second powertap wheel. I have a wired one on my road bike (tri retro fit) that is on my trainer. I don't put my tri bike on the trainer, but I want a powertap wheel for my tri bike so that I don't have switch out wheels everytime I ride. I plan to keep my roadie on the trainer through the summer so that I can do my interval work indoors. We'll see.
2011-02-08 3:50 PM
in reply to: #3345091

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
vibratingp00 - 2011-02-08 12:35 PM

Lots of slacking from me between work travel and being sick.  Feels like I havent had a decent workout in weeks.  Anyways, hoping for a decent run tonight if the weather holds out, the one decent thing about being in NYC is that theres always somewhere to run outside.

AOTD:  Im looking to get some decent tools for working on the bike.  Among other "requirements" before I will buy a new bike, I want to be able to do all the work on it myself and theres just some tools you cant do without.  Im staying away from just buying a set that has too much unneeded filler in it, so its a slow process of buying tools as I have a need for them.

Good idea. I bought one of the starter kits from Nashbar. It was ok but I ended up replacing a couple of things that were really poorly made.

If you plan to get an all carbon bike make sure you have a torque wrench and carbon paste on your list of goodies!

I built a bike up from scratch a couple of years ago just to see what it was like. It actually wasn't too bad at all. And I'm a self proclaimed mechanical idiot. My wife will back up that claim w/o hesitation.

If you plan to do something like this get a pair of really good cable cutters and a 'third hand' tool that holds the cables while you fiddle. I found those to be really essential.

Jamie

2011-02-08 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
I got an hour in on the trainer with 40' @ FTP. Also got a 6 mile run in today. Cold!
2011-02-08 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3345142

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
nuttysami123 - 2011-02-08 12:56 PM

Thanks for the CO2 tips!! I can't wait to practice!!! Got my 45 min w/strides in this AM and my swim done at lunch today. Felt pretty good!
AQOD: I really really want a second powertap wheel. I have a wired one on my road bike (tri retro fit) that is on my trainer. I don't put my tri bike on the trainer, but I want a powertap wheel for my tri bike so that I don't have switch out wheels everytime I ride. I plan to keep my roadie on the trainer through the summer so that I can do my interval work indoors. We'll see.

Samantha,
You may want to call up to Saris and ask them if they would upgrade your wired to wireless. I guess you would still only have one wheel but you wouldn't have to fiddle with all of the wires on 2 bikes. Just an idea. They have awesome customer service.

Jamie
2011-02-08 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3345701

User image

Extreme Veteran
jamiej - 2011-02-08 5:59 PM
nuttysami123 - 2011-02-08 12:56 PM Thanks for the CO2 tips!! I can't wait to practice!!! Got my 45 min w/strides in this AM and my swim done at lunch today. Felt pretty good!
Samantha, You may want to call up to Saris and ask them if they would upgrade your wired to wireless. I guess you would still only have one wheel but you wouldn't have to fiddle with all of the wires on 2 bikes. Just an idea. They have awesome customer service. Jamie

Not a bad idea.. thanks for the idea!  
2011-02-09 5:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
QOTD:

Have you ever tried or thought about changing your run form?

I've toyed with this idea a few years back with some experimentation with Newtons. They pretty much killed my achilles tendons so I gave that up. I actually know a podiatrist/triathlete that swears that Newtons are keeping him in business b/c of the injuries.

Over the years I've found that what works best for me is running in very light weight trainers. For the past few years I've used Saucony Fastwitch for training and racing all distances. There is very little structure to them. They are just a 1/2 step up from a racing flat. I went through the 'marketing' of stability shoes, Newtons etc and found that 'less is more' for me. When I put on my old Asics 2150's or Kayanos to do yard work they feel like I'm wearing cement blocks. Don't get me wrong, I have no intentions of becoming a vibram wearing, chia seed eating, Born to Run reading type of runner.

Personally I just can't see the reasoning in changing my form. I've been running since I was a kid and my body has adapted to my self selected gait so why change it 40 years later? Seems like *that* would lead to all kinds of problems.

Jamie
2011-02-09 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3346346

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
YAOTD: cadence meter and tri-shorts and bike jerseys....and I am sure a few other items.  going to try to keep it simple since I am spending alot on race fees this year.

AOTD: I run with what Jamie call cement blocks - Asics-2150 - had 2 pairs of Brooks(1 from foot locker and 1 from the local running store) and happened to see the asics at Dicks one day.  Tried them on and love them.  I am toying with the idea getting a pair of Zoots for the races but not in the budget right now.

I have noticed that my 2 pair of brooks - the 1 from the LRS has more plastic on it and came apart quicker than the one from Foot locker.  That one seemed to be made with better material.  I will have to go back and look but I thought they were they same model.

2011-02-09 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3346346

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
jamiej - 2011-02-09 6:30 AM QOTD: Have you ever tried or thought about changing your run form?  

I don't know about "changing" my form, but I try working on it a little.  When I first started running at this time last year, I was a heavy heel striker.  Never had a problem with injuries even though I blew the "10% rule" out the door alot of times when I started.  But, with some of the run & triathlon clinics I attended over last year, everyone of them said that midfoot striking is going to help with your speed.  This past fall I started working on being more on the midfoot, and also worked on my "cadence".  I don't heel strike as much anymore, and my cadence is bang on 90 all the time.  I check it sporadically through out my runs to make sure I'm on target.

I started off with Brooks DYAD 5s last year & got 500 miles out of them.  Now I'm using Brooks Ghost 3s...not as cushiny but alot lighter.  I think I'm going to try the Glycerin 8s next as a compromise between the 2. 

2011-02-09 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3346506

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
RVachon - 2011-02-09 8:57 AM

jamiej - 2011-02-09 6:30 AM QOTD: Have you ever tried or thought about changing your run form?  

I don't know about "changing" my form, but I try working on it a little.  When I first started running at this time last year, I was a heavy heel striker.  Never had a problem with injuries even though I blew the "10% rule" out the door alot of times when I started.  But, with some of the run & triathlon clinics I attended over last year, everyone of them said that midfoot striking is going to help with your speed.  This past fall I started working on being more on the midfoot, and also worked on my "cadence".  I don't heel strike as much anymore, and my cadence is bang on 90 all the time.  I check it sporadically through out my runs to make sure I'm on target.

I started off with Brooks DYAD 5s last year & got 500 miles out of them.  Now I'm using Brooks Ghost 3s...not as cushiny but alot lighter.  I think I'm going to try the Glycerin 8s next as a compromise between the 2. 

I don't believe in the 10% rule at all. I also don't believe in the 'long run should be 30% or less than weekly mileage'.

Jamie
2011-02-09 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3346838

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
jamiej - 2011-02-09 11:31 AM
RVachon - 2011-02-09 8:57 AM

I don't believe in the 10% rule at all. I also don't believe in the 'long run should be 30% or less than weekly mileage'. Jamie

I think their might be some merit to the 10% rule for people just starting to run from a couch situation, but I think once you have a decent base, your right, the 10% rule probably doesn't apply as much.  Never heard of the 30% or less thing for long runs.  I usually just run what my plan tells me too..lol.

2011-02-09 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
AQOD: I try to keep certain things in mind with my running form.. I slouch really bad (hunch over) and I just have to remind myself constantly to "stand up straight", "point the girls forward, not down" LOL!! Roll my shoulders back.. if I do that, the rest falls into place. As far as my shoes goes.. I've had both of my feet operated on and I'm just tickled pink that I can run pain free! I just moved over to Brooks Adrenelines and I put a very light arch support in them. So far so good. Have a good day everyone!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40