BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-01-18 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED

Hey Team.

Just finished classes for the day - head is so stuffed - time to go home and dig out the brain killing neti-pot Smile

Jenny - love the pic - actually great pics everyone.

Stijn - hope all is well.

Scott - I agree with Coach and it sounds like you may have it all figured out so good luck with your decision.

Batlou-Brian- curling is great fun and wow, scary moment for you. Just curious, were breaking any driving laws in Kentucky by taking that picture Smile

Coach - what is the best workout when you have a cold? Anyone have an answer for that one? How typical, go the Doctors and get sick, brutal Yell. I am going to try to do a light jog on the mill and a good swim tonight I hope. Pints do get consumed at curling matches (I can't disput that). You have to love the Scotts for inventing the 2 greatest games ever - Golf and CurlingSmile and a BT curling game would be fun.

Tim - awesome pictures my friend.

Sarah - beautiful puppy.

Deb - thanks.

Have a great 2nd half of the day everyone.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-01-18 1:00 PM

2012-01-18 12:59 PM

User image

New user
Chicago, IL

Thanks, Kevin.  Murphy is great.  He's my first Vizsla.  He'll be 6 in April.  He can be a grumpy old man at times but he's the love my life.  Deb - Murphy can get the "crazy legs" sometimes when I take him out to the beach or park.  He'll run around like a maniac where is legs are angled and not directly underneath him.  It's hard to explain but hilarious when he does it.  He's even wiped out a couple times b/c he's running so fast, haha!  They are a lot of work in that they need a lot of exercise but they can also be huge couch potatoes when they're home.  There are some days where Murphy just lays in bed ALL day.  

Kevin is right about them being velcro dogs.  When Murphy wants to be loved, he'll stand right next to you and lean up against you.  If you stop petting him, he'll take his snout and put it under your hand and make you pet him Smile  He can be very needy at times but overall he's a great dog.

2012-01-18 1:44 PM

User image

Expert

@Tim:  Awesome kid pictures.

@Sarah:  I love the photo of the dog running out of the water.  Looks like a happy puppy.

@Kevin:  Surely broke a few laws, I found it particularly challenging taking the video below right after it passed through.  LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGnODscvFmw&context=C30d40e9ADOEgsToPDskICFaAo-2xx_4ecGjQEo1CC

2012-01-18 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran

Happy Wednesday - Got my speedwork run in this afternoon.  7 miler with 4 1 mile repeats at 25 seconds faster than goal race pace - I was really working.

here are photos of my youngest daughter in her 1st tri last summer.  She and her sister are on quest to run the equivilant of a marathon in 1 month - 6 miles down so far...

(100B6061web.jpg)

(100_6047web.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
100B6061web.jpg (67KB - 8 downloads)
100_6047web.jpg (68KB - 8 downloads)
2012-01-18 6:26 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Nice pic skinnyarmbrian Smile

Was going to try and do a small run/walk and a bit of a swim tonight but cold has hit me hard - tylenol cold and flu - some moisturizer for my nose (hurts Yell- too much blowing), a round with the neti pot and I am hitting the wrapper.

Thanks for the advice to shut it down Coach - I am going to bed!

The pool, my bike and my newtons are not going anywhere - I will see those dear friends again shortly Smile

This team rocks - good night.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-01-18 6:33 PM
2012-01-18 7:06 PM

User image

Pro
Houston

Sorry I've been MIA team, got some cathing up to do. I've been working lots at the Tri store which is a good thing but it keeps me busy. Missed odd fact Monday but my odd fact is that I have had around 450-500 stitches most of them in my face to put it back together after I was mauled by a German Shepard. I know, horrible but it was a long time ago, I had it revised in 97 and most folks can't even tell. No better way to teach a 12 year old girl some humility and understanding of others and appreciation of my own life.

Ok, enough with the drama let me go find a picture.

(ChristmasFamilySm.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
ChristmasFamilySm.JPG (38KB - 8 downloads)

2012-01-18 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

thats quite a story, Im glad you came out of it okay. Here is me with my family

2012-01-19 7:12 AM

User image

Veteran
PA

okay I am sticking my head in as a former RFP team member. HELLO

I have been MIA for a little bit...work and life have gotten to me but I have been training.  I will be catch up with the group to see what every one is up too.

Hope all are doing well

2012-01-19 7:16 AM
in reply to: #3998971

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Not feeling so hot this am but wanted to say hey and I see what was up.

nakdboardr-Kevin - nice to see you. I jumped on because I got your message on my blackberry - just an fyi for you - there are no "former" team members - once a member, always a member so consider yourself part of the team again if you want to join us.

No big plans for me today - work/lecture for a couple of hours then back home to bed.

Have a good day everyone.

KC

nakdboardr - 2012-01-19 8:12 AM

okay I am sticking my head in as a former RFP team member. HELLO

I have been MIA for a little bit...work and life have gotten to me but I have been training.  I will be catch up with the group to see what every one is up too.

Hope all are doing well

2012-01-19 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3996204

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Jennifers - 2012-01-17 9:15 PM

Speaking of power meters and wattage, how do you use that in your training?  I am a novice when it comes to bike stuff, so I am wondering how this affects your training.  I rode the computrainer tonight at the bike shop, and I noticed my watts were lower than everyone else's, even though I was going at about the same speed (granted I was riding with some competitive cyclists).  Just curious on how that works.

watts on the power meter a purely measuring the force exerted on the backwheel (in a ct, crank for some, hub for others). The speed you see is based on your power verse your weight you put into the system.  So in your class if I weigh 200lbs and you weigh 100, I have to push a ton more watts to keep up with you esp uphills.

In the real world (ie outside) they are used to keep you at your exact workout specs.  If your workout calls for 90 of LT then the meter does not care if your into the wind at 15mph or with the wind at 25mph, it only cares that you are pushing 200 watts (in Scotts case 250). 

That is a real basic explanation. hope it helps

2012-01-19 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Tim: Something about kids in goggles makes me laugh! Great pics/cute kids

Sara: Love the pics of your dog, one running in lake is sweet.  The pick with her sitting looks like she did something wrong and was giving you the guilty look! lol  I was not calling you average, just making a general statement. 

Kevin mandown: I have seen one of your/saras dog and it was at a dog park.  I thought our boxer was full of energy, wow was I wrong.  Kona (our dog) ran with it for about 20 mins and was completely shot.  The vizsla left kona and wore out about 4 other dogs.  It was probably the fastest dog I have ever seen.  Talking to the owner she said it was always that hyper, so ang will not let me get one, but I'm working on her! lol  My only problem is do they shed alot?

Deb: your going to be 40?? wow don't look it.  Bonus in this sport is a new AG. lol... Nice backhanded compliment to Tim LOL

KC: no workout is best when sick!except rest and fluids

Brian: More great pics of your kids, I need to do that race: 26 miles in 30 days. I might be able to break 3hrs (maybe) :-)

Nice run, I forget what your goal is (i think 3:15?)

Keri:  That is scary to have that many stitches, was it a stray dog or a dog you knew?  How in the heck do you have time to train with 5 kids? why didn't you have your hair in a pony tail like your daughters lol? Another great pic.

Dave: I thought I would see a pic of you in your new kayak.  Great pic, I think your boy is like me not into having their pic taken.

Hey Naked your always welcome to join.  You just have to tell the new members your streaking story? lol

2012-01-19 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

So far this week I am on track for my goal of swimming/core 2x week.  Although I did swim tues I cannot get over how much chlorine  is in our pool.  I have taken 6 showers since swimming and I still smell it on my skin, when I ran last night it was coming out of my pours? I was spoiled in FL as they had a saltwater pool.  Doing kick drills with goggles off it was burning my eyes.  No wonder I go through a pair of swim shorts a season.   Had to cut last nights run a little short as my left shin was starting to hurt after running on concrete all week.

How is everyone else doing on their Jan goals?

2012-01-19 9:05 AM

User image

Expert

This morning I had the best swim workout I have had in months.  From the second I started my warmup I felt like a missle in the water. Completely effortless.  My main set was 12 x 100Y on 20" rest and I came in at 1:30 for each and even hit 1:28/1:29 on a few.  And the scary thing was is that I still had a littel left in the tank when the set was done.  I will be interested to see how my TT comes out in two weeks.

I am wondering if if it one of three things?:

• The fact that I have been super consistent the past 3 weeks and have been at the pool at least 2X week.
  • The fact that I am doing the 800Y of drills every session.  I never did drill before and I am wondering if it is paying off on my form
  • The fact that I got my order in from SwimOutlet last night and replaced all my swim gear and had my new jammers, Speedo Air Seal goggles and new swim cap on -haha.

I am thinking #3 for sure.

2012-01-19 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3999251

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Tim- Awesome on the swim workout!  I had the option today for going to Masters or sleeping in and doing a little bit of a longer swim on my own, regardless I have a brick workout to do so I have to jump on the bike as soon as I get home.  So, my pillow won and I am getting ready to head to the pool now.  Next week I start classes at work, so I won't have the luxury of these choices. 

Thanks for the explanation on the power...when we ride the computrainers sometimes I feel like I am giving it my all, yet my power is so much lower than everyone else...guess that's why I'm the poky puppy and I need to ride more to become a whippet!  Or a vizsla I guess! Laughing

Happy Training- Coach I hope you feel better today!

2012-01-19 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3999173

User image

SE North Carolina
I am actually allergic to dog hair, but with the vizsla their hair is so short and fine its not a problem, very little shedding. But be prepared they are full of energy like you said, ..... 
2012-01-19 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3999251

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
tmoran80 - 2012-01-19 10:05 AM

This morning I had the best swim workout I have had in months.  From the second I started my warmup I felt like a missle in the water. Completely effortless.  My main set was 12 x 100Y on 20" rest and I came in at 1:30 for each and even hit 1:28/1:29 on a few.  And the scary thing was is that I still had a littel left in the tank when the set was done.  I will be interested to see how my TT comes out in two weeks.

I am wondering if if it one of three things?:

• The fact that I have been super consistent the past 3 weeks and have been at the pool at least 2X week.
  • The fact that I am doing the 800Y of drills every session.  I never did drill before and I am wondering if it is paying off on my form
  • The fact that I got my order in from SwimOutlet last night and replaced all my swim gear and had my new jammers, Speedo Air Seal goggles and new swim cap on -haha.

I am thinking #3 for sure.

Or it could be the fins you had on your feet!! LOL  jk   great times, heck I have not seen the 1:2x in a while.   I would bet its a combination of all three.  Now see if you can get in the teens! :-)

2012-01-19 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3999273

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Jennifers - 2012-01-19 10:14 AM

Tim- Awesome on the swim workout!  I had the option today for going to Masters or sleeping in and doing a little bit of a longer swim on my own, regardless I have a brick workout to do so I have to jump on the bike as soon as I get home.  So, my pillow won and I am getting ready to head to the pool now.  Next week I start classes at work, so I won't have the luxury of these choices. 

Thanks for the explanation on the power...when we ride the computrainers sometimes I feel like I am giving it my all, yet my power is so much lower than everyone else...guess that's why I'm the poky puppy and I need to ride more to become a whippet!  Or a vizsla I guess! Laughing

Happy Training- Coach I hope you feel better today!

No problem,  one more thing is if you are a masher (ie only push down) sometimes it does give off different readings.  Do you do alot of one legged drills.  Everyone should be doing them on most workouts, forces you to pedal in circles and work the entire stroke.  How much power are you making and how much are the other (ballpark)

2012-01-19 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3999569

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

I am pulling up too, and I do a lot of one leg pedalling in my warm-up.  (I finally mastered that last year).  I was getting around 140 for watts, while others were in the ballpark of 190-210 watts.  I am more of a spinner than a masher (I prefer to keep a higher cadence 80-90 when riding on a flat surface).

All done with training until Saturday!  I am signed up for an indoor marathon relay Saturday.  It should be fun- my sister in law is running with me and two other friends, and this is her first running event!  I think we are planning to run one mile repeats, so everyone will run about 6-7 miles.

2012-01-19 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4000015

User image

Veteran
Jennifers - 2012-01-19 3:21 PM

I am pulling up too, and I do a lot of one leg pedalling in my warm-up.  (I finally mastered that last year).  I was getting around 140 for watts, while others were in the ballpark of 190-210 watts.  I am more of a spinner than a masher (I prefer to keep a higher cadence 80-90 when riding on a flat surface).

All done with training until Saturday!  I am signed up for an indoor marathon relay Saturday.  It should be fun- my sister in law is running with me and two other friends, and this is her first running event!  I think we are planning to run one mile repeats, so everyone will run about 6-7 miles.

Are you doing the indoor marathon  / 1/2 marathon at an Ice skationg facility?  A guy I work with is in Milwaukee on business tomorrow and is doing a 1/2 marathon indoors on Saturday.  47 laps around the rink - watch out for getting dizzy! 

2012-01-19 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

that must be a big skating rink! I had to run around my little track at the community center 63 times and that was just for 7km. The furthest I have run indoors is 10miles and that was really pushing the limits of boredom.

I found 1 leg drills pretty effective but I still admit to biking at a low 80rpm, I have to work on that this weekend.

2012-01-19 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Brian- Yep, that is the one!  They have a 5k,  half marathon, marathon, and marathon relay this weekend.  For the extreme endurance junkies, they have the Gold Medal Challenge- you run the half marathon on Saturday and the full marathon on Sunday.  I have a friend who is doing that race.

The run is at the Pettit National Ice Center, which is the Olympic Training Facility for speedskating.  It's 443m around the track.  It is a fun place to run in the winter, especially when the speedskaters are practicing.  Pretty sure that is something I want to try after Ironman, it looks like fun and a killer workout.

Quick question for all you IM veterans- Oct. 7th is the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon.  Evidently there is a marathon challenge between the university I work for and another local university (ironically, the one I am attending for my doctorate) and the president of our university invited me to run...this is 3 weeks after IMWI...I am not expecting anything amazing, but could I run a marathon that close to IMWI?  If I can run in the race for free with work, I'd be tempted to do it...

2012-01-20 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4000683

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Jennifers - 2012-01-19 9:11 PM

Brian- Yep, that is the one!  They have a 5k,  half marathon, marathon, and marathon relay this weekend.  For the extreme endurance junkies, they have the Gold Medal Challenge- you run the half marathon on Saturday and the full marathon on Sunday.  I have a friend who is doing that race.

The run is at the Pettit National Ice Center, which is the Olympic Training Facility for speedskating.  It's 443m around the track.  It is a fun place to run in the winter, especially when the speedskaters are practicing.  Pretty sure that is something I want to try after Ironman, it looks like fun and a killer workout.

Quick question for all you IM veterans- Oct. 7th is the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon.  Evidently there is a marathon challenge between the university I work for and another local university (ironically, the one I am attending for my doctorate) and the president of our university invited me to run...this is 3 weeks after IMWI...I am not expecting anything amazing, but could I run a marathon that close to IMWI?  If I can run in the race for free with work, I'd be tempted to do it...

You might be able to - I couldnt and the advise is to take a fair time off after the IM.  I had other issues...surgeries...so I had imposed rest.  But I would have taken a month before even starting back slowly.  Just an opinion though.

2012-01-20 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4000015

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Jennifers - 2012-01-19 2:21 PM

Have you had an functional threshold test?  What did it show?  The real issue isn't only power.  I turn 300 watts plus and I'm quick. My FTP was 319 at IronMan time.  After two surgeries and time off I tested at 288 at the first of the month.  I'll be over 300 soon if not already.  But the real issue is power to weight ratio.   If you turn lower power than me but weigh half as much, you could fly by me.   So get an FTP test if you can. It is the number on which all your workouts should be based. 

Don't worry so much what others can do.  Start where you are and work at it.   VO2 drills where you go hard for 30 seconds and recover 30 secs.. or one minute hard and one minute recover... repeat 10 X then rest 5 mins and repeat...that gets your power up faster than anything.  

80 is not a high cadence.  Shoot for 85 plus at least.  The coaches all want 90 or higher, which is fine but after doing some high cadence drills, and then going back to tempo rides, you'll find a sweet spot of your own that will produce the highest power over the longest time with the least exertion.   I do high cadence drills of 5 mins each at 90, 05, 100, 105.  My sweet spot is normally 87 to 90. 

Hill repeats are great to build strength too.  You can do those on a trainer by targeting 65 to 85% at 50 to 60 rpm and vary the time over time, 10, 15, 20 mins.   Rest 5 mins and then do another.  Really terrific workout.  I'm doing that 2X a week now. 

All of that pays off with being able to go farther longer with less exertion. The point of the bike is to get strong enough and efficient enough that you can complete the distance in good time and still have the legs left for the run.  A good run is set up by a good bike. 

Isn't this fun!

2012-01-20 7:40 AM
in reply to: #4000683

User image

Veteran
Jennifers - 2012-01-19 10:11 PM

Good luck with the race this weekend.

As for a marathon 3 weeks after IM, I know I was not ready to do it.  I had a tough time getting past 5-6 miles for a month and a half after IM.  I was physically and mentally worn down.  However, I did not start planning to run a marathon 3 weeks after my IM 10 months before and have that goal already set in my head.  So, I am not sure that my experience is a valid measure.  A training partner of mine went out and did an 18 miler on his own 2 weeks after IM.

SO having said all that, it seems that there is no set statndard for recovery.  I think it would have to be a decision you can make closer to the marathon and see if you feel up to doing it.  I am usually a lot more decisive about things, but with athletic endevors of this magnitude it is hard to tell what recovery will be for various individuals.

2012-01-20 9:11 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

Ok gang, I finally had the chance to go back and read all the posts I missed.

Jennifer - Sorry I missed your birthday, it sounds like you had an awesome time.

Deb - How did you find out your zones? What kind of run test did you do?

Love all the kid and doggie pics and have to admit curling has always fascinated me and I love watching during the Olympics.To answer a question the dog knew me. I was at a friend of the families house, had been there several times. I was sitting on the ground in child's pose, on my feet, petting the dog when he attacked me out of nowhere. He punctured my skull with this top teeth, wrapped his bottom teeth around my jaw and started shaking my head like a dog toy. I coded at the hospital from blood loss and it took 260 stitches to close up my face the first time. They also had to basically sew my index finger back on at the top joint. Jr. High was very rough for a new poor girl with a huge scar on her face. But all of this made me who I am today. I had it revised in 97 which took about 100 stitches and now it is barely noticeable. Amazing what plastic surgery can do. We have 2 dogs and love them but they are not family, they are pets. Large dogs come with a huge responsibility. The owner of the dog was only 6 feet away and what he saw his dog do to me haunts him. He would have never thought his dog was capable.

Now I have a question for the group. Has anybody done a BT training plan? I am doing the Olympic right now and am not happy at all. The second week it has me running 6.1 and swimming 1650 the first week! At this rate I will be overstrained, injured and burnt out before I get to my race.Have to say I am also not a fan of the BT coaching. I guess I didn't realize what zi was getting, or not getting. At least I only signed up for a month.

Edited by KeriKadi 2012-01-20 9:14 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43