BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2012-03-02 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4077303

User image

Veteran
N.Ireland
Subject: RE: FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed

jdutton13 - 2012-03-02 6:11 PM Hey Robbie.  I'm gonna be away from my computer all weekend, but just wanted to wish you well on the half marathon this weekend.  Go get em.

Cheers for the Josh, the ITB is still a bit tight but I'd rather fail trying than not try at all.

Nice 5mile long hill to start off the season, WTF, lol....

2012-03-03 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3945983

User image

Veteran
N.Ireland

Well my first running race of the season and I managed to knock off 8min 10sec of my pb half marathon distance coming in at at 1:43:20, I didn't get to hydrate going round until mile 11 (talking too much) and I suffered the last couple 3mile for it (as you can see by my finishing pic).

Still it was great to beat the 1:45 half time which was my first goal of the year and the kids loved the morning out, when I got to mile 12 I thought how the hell am I going to do the HIM but I'll be well prepaired come Sept.

Duathlon sprint next weekend, series 2 of the 2mile run, 10 mile cycle, 2 mile run.

2012-03-03 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto, Canada

Nice job Marsh! Congrats on the time!

I went out for a 30k ride yesterday in 6 degree weather.  On the way back I decided to make it a brick workout and jumped off the bike, got the shoes on and made my way out to do a quick 3k run.

BAD IDEA.  My left calf cramped up within 100metres of my house and I had to stop.  I was in the middle of the road and couldnt move.  Luckily no cars came around and I hobbled off to the sidewalk.  I had my regular chirocpractic appointment today so he was able to stretch/massage my calf (and that hurt like hell!)  Looks like i'm off from some exercise for a short while.Cry

Gonna focus on some strength training instead until I get back to 100%.

2012-03-05 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Love the kid-pics, MarshPike!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I got in a nice 5 mile walk on my rest day, and put in about an hour of core strengthening & weight training yesterday. I'm working on putting together a training program to start April 1, when I throw myself back into swim/bike/run. Only 4 more weeks of weight training, and then I have to mostly shelve it for 8 months. I think of triathlon season as my "off-season" from weight training, which I'll pick up again hardcore on August 19 with my first attempt at P90x2! LOL

2012-03-05 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4078670

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
2paz - 2012-03-03 11:47 AM

Nice job Marsh! Congrats on the time!

I went out for a 30k ride yesterday in 6 degree weather.  On the way back I decided to make it a brick workout and jumped off the bike, got the shoes on and made my way out to do a quick 3k run.

BAD IDEA.  My left calf cramped up within 100metres of my house and I had to stop.  I was in the middle of the road and couldnt move.  Luckily no cars came around and I hobbled off to the sidewalk.  I had my regular chirocpractic appointment today so he was able to stretch/massage my calf (and that hurt like hell!)  Looks like i'm off from some exercise for a short while.Cry

Gonna focus on some strength training instead until I get back to 100%.

Oh dude, that sucks! Hope you're 100% again soon!

2012-03-06 6:24 AM
in reply to: #4080924

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-03-06 7:19 AM

Veteran
N.Ireland

Thanks chaps.

The ITB strap above my knee I have been wearing on long runs since my ongoing ITB issue from last year, it definately helped to get me back running and I wouldn't run long without it.

The ITB problem I had last weekend was in the other leg but the sports physio carried out good work on it and I focused on recovery all week, worked as it didn't annoy me during the run at all. I didn't put a strap on it as I was feared I'd end up running with both legs straped for ever.

2012-03-06 5:38 PM

Veteran
Minneapolis
Anybody have thoughts on "reverse brick" workouts?  Like doing my long bike and then swimming? Is there any effectiveness in that, or do I really need to do swim/bike and bike/run in that order to aclimate my body?
2012-03-06 7:01 PM

New user

Hey everyone! I've been gone for some time now, but still was training.  I have finally sought the help of a swim coach which has helped tremendously.  I will be competing a duathlon in two weeks in Central Park New York.  2 miles-12miles-2 miles.  Did a practice run over the weekend and felt strong.  Swimming coming slowly, but getting better nonetheless.

Bought the book Born to Run... And yes, now I am on the barefoot bandwagon.  I ran 2 miles in my wrestling shoes that nearly no sole... Felt great running, but calves are a bit sore.  I'll stick with my running shoes and slowing transition to minimalist shoes for later in the season.

Any thoughts on barefoot running or the premise of the book Born to Run?

2012-03-07 1:31 AM
in reply to: #4083763

Veteran
N.Ireland

QueerDrummer - 2012-03-06 11:38 PM Anybody have thoughts on "reverse brick" workouts?  Like doing my long bike and then swimming? Is there any effectiveness in that, or do I really need to do swim/bike and bike/run in that order to aclimate my body?

Obviously I'm no expert but I'm sure the reason the brick is to get use to the transition, as you won't be swimming after the bike I'm not sure what value it would bring. Also being wrecked for the swim can make it very difficult and I'd say unsafe if in open water.

Also when I did my bike/run brick something unusual happened my heart rate stayed considerably low in the run due it being warmed up for an hour during the bike session. This was a real confidence booster as it was my easiest 10 mile run this year.

2012-03-07 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4083856

2012-03-07 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4083763

2012-03-07 11:30 AM

Veteran
N.Ireland

Bought the book Born to Run... And yes, now I am on the barefoot bandwagon.  I ran 2 miles in my wrestling shoes that nearly no sole... Felt great running, but calves are a bit sore.  I'll stick with my running shoes and slowing transition to minimalist shoes for later in the season.

Any thoughts on barefoot running or the premise of the book Born to Run?

Just finished the book, great read, if I had read it before I bought my orthotics I most probably would have trialed it but it would have been during the off season. I have one mate who runs with the five fingers but he said its a very slow process to intergrate.

Great to hear about the duathlon btw, the experience is priceless even just walking around the pit and seeing how people had their bikes set up was worth the travel for me.

Edited by Marshpike 2012-03-07 11:39 AM
2012-03-07 11:32 AM

Veteran
N.Ireland

Got an opportunity to swim in a 25m pool today wasn't too sure what to expect after learning in the 18m pool, but it turned out to be a great confidence booster. I swam 2000m in 46 min and had a repeatable rythm throughout

After the distance swim I tried a 100m with the pull bouy and 100m with the fins and wow, I don't think I'll be a able to go back to the 18m pool.

Going to use my next swim session to focus on turning in the pool, not something I've had to focus on in the 18m pool as I didn't want to kick off and lose half the length.

Series 2 Duathlon on this Sunday so hoping to improve on my time, although as long as I improve on my transition times I'll be happy as....

2012-03-07 4:13 PM

Veteran
Waterford, MI.

Glad to see people are doing well.  It's been almost a week since I've checked in but I have been keeping up with Fink's plan for IMLO which is only 171 days away.  I've been doing the run and swims as laid out in the plan but have modified the bike for now.

With a lot of cycling events coming up right around the corner, I decide to get in a little competition with my cycling team.

Comparing saddle time for everyone on the team for one week.  So far since Monday I've gotten in 6 hours on the trainer with another hour and a half planned for tonight ( thank god I finally got my new saddle dialed in ). 

My basement is driving me nuts.  Hopefully I'll be able to take the trainer tire off this weekend and get some outdoor saddle time in.

2012-03-08 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4072546

EP
QueerDrummer - 2012-02-29 9:38 AM

Foggy! Thanks for the wetsuit idea - I will start trying some on, try to find one that fits, and then scour the internet for a used one. :D

Nice hockey pic with the little guy!

I, for one, am actually glad we have a little more time before races start cos I am NOT ready yet.

They still have a full rack of clearance Wetsuits at Gearwest.

Well this week I started Masters Swim class in Hopkins and WOW.  There really is nothing like quadrupling your weekly distance.  I'm hoping this nice weather in Minnesota will keep going so I'm more motivated to run outside and so that I can get out and ride again...

2012-03-08 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4055086

EP
NurseJenny - 2012-02-18 11:07 PM

2009 cannondale six - $700 (kpr)

Date: 2012-02-17, 6:30PM PST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

half carbon frame ,everything else is all carbon , new jell grips ,tires, seat low miles, super, fast shamano 105 , ,size 51, but with neck extender could be a 54. was bought at marquis for 1400 plus tax. 509 572 4625

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
image 0image 1

PostingID: 2847026217

Good Deal?

Jenny did you buy or at least go try this System Six?  The System Six is a half Aluminum, half Carbon Fiber bike.  Both my Lemond and my BMC are like this.  I do like the set up very much, thought no one does it anymore.  I'm thinking about going to a full carbon road bike but I don't have any money, and a mountain bike is next on my list....

2012-03-08 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4085429

Veteran
N.Ireland
jdutton13 - 2012-03-07 10:13 PM

I have been keeping up with Fink's plan for IMLO which is only 171 days away.  I've been doing the run and swims as laid out in the plan but have modified the bike for now.

Josh I'd love to be in a position to think about the IM this year but it will have to wait, how are you finding Fink's plan? I intend to move over to it 22 weeks ahead of my HIM.

Anyone else taking the challenge on this year??

2012-03-08 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4086725

2012-03-08 8:19 PM

New user

Finished my swim lesson tonight. What a difference good technique has made for my swim progression.  One thing I came to realize today: I live in an excellent area to train for triathlons.  I have a great pool ($165/ yr, veteran discount), beautiful beaches with warm water in the summer.  Great cycling with some nice hills and a large cycling community.  Really nice running in the neighborhood with limited traffic (during the right time of day).  Some people may not have access to a pool, or live where cycling is not practical, or may not even have the ocean to swim in!!! I am fortunate to live in a great place to train.  Point is, I have absolutely no excuse to not make my training blocks...

Good night :-)

2012-03-08 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4086725

Veteran
Waterford, MI.
Marshpike - 2012-03-08 11:30 AM
jdutton13 - 2012-03-07 10:13 PM

I have been keeping up with Fink's plan for IMLO which is only 171 days away.  I've been doing the run and swims as laid out in the plan but have modified the bike for now.

Josh I'd love to be in a position to think about the IM this year but it will have to wait, how are you finding Fink's plan? I intend to move over to it 22 weeks ahead of my HIM.

Anyone else taking the challenge on this year??

So far I like it a lot.  I really like the structure it has given me.  I like basically knowing every day of the week is pretty much the same as far as, swims, bricks, long runs, long bike rides etc.

The swim and the run portion have been perfect as far as I don't feel like it was to much compared to where my fitness level was at when I started.  The bike however was a little light for me to begin with, so I modified that some to fit my ride fitness level.  

So far I highly recommend it.

2012-03-09 12:58 AM

Veteran
N.Ireland

Cheers for that Josh, I'm looking forward to moving on to it to help me control my intesity a bit better so I'm not spending half my time on recovery. I have a full marathon end of May so I'm going to have to sit down over the next week or so to develop my plan which considers both events.

Swim lesson sounds great chaps, I'm going to have to hunt someone down that does a similar service.

2012-03-09 6:53 AM
in reply to: #4087960

2012-03-09 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4087765

2012-03-09 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4088087

New user

Everything is excellent! I am very motivated to accomplish my goals this season.  Getting some real coaching has helped in a big way, especially with the swimming.  Last year I was not confident swimming and that really took away from the whole experience.  Now I am looking forward to the swim and that makes the WHOLE race fun. 

I was having a conversation with someone and I was explaining where I live and train.  I was startled by his response in that the efforts he needed to make just to get some swimming in.  SO I feel fortunate to live in a pretty cool place to train.... and live

Tonight (EST) I am going to run 3miles and swim my workout (mainly drills and some endurance).  Next week I am going to begin to cut some (about 10 lbs) and get to 175lbs by end of April. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 32