BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2012-04-28 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3965644

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013
5K this morning followed by 7 miles to finish off my long run today.  !st in my age group, second in Masters division, 22:47, not as fast as I had hoped but absolutely all I had.

2012-04-28 1:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Bryan - I sent you a FB friends request (Kathy Thuneman) and I made a donation.  I was going to make the donation in honor of my brother in-law Craig but then learned that not only my husband's brother, but his father, Jack and his grandfather all had prostrate cancer.

2012-04-28 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Lena - great job on the juicing and weight loss!  You will look also in your new sports outfits.

Pam - Sorry to hear about the hot flashes.  Glad to hear things are finally working themselves out.

Robert - are you doing Augusta?  I did it last year and didn't start training for it till about this time last year.  You have plenty of time.  

Thank you everyone for the clothes suggestions!  I have been on several websites and checking things out so I will be purchasing some new clothes here soon.  I am getting excited knowing I get to shop for new tri clothes.  

If anyone wants to Facebook me I am Kathy Vogt Thuneman.

Billy - Here is my training log for today.... 1900 yard swim, 3 hour bike ride and then a 15 minute run.  I didn't have to do the run but my legs were shot and I figure there is no time like the present to do a brick.  Tomorrow will be a long run.  Legs were still shot after the short run that I took a cold bath, I usually only do those after long runs not after biking but it felt good anyway.  I am done for the day and am ready for a nap.

Edited by krazytallchick 2012-04-28 1:41 PM
2012-04-28 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
X 2 on the clothing by Atleta. I love their stuff. Just wish I could afford more of it.Great job on the training everyone. Makes me look wimpy with my measly 1 hour bike ride, but that's what was on the plan, so that's what I did.
2012-04-28 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Ditto on the nap!
2012-04-28 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4178377

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
krazytallchick - 2012-04-28 11:36 AM

Lena - great job on the juicing and weight loss!  You will look also in your new sports outfits.

Pam - Sorry to hear about the hot flashes.  Glad to hear things are finally working themselves out.

Robert - are you doing Augusta?  I did it last year and didn't start training for it till about this time last year.  You have plenty of time.  

Thank you everyone for the clothes suggestions!  I have been on several websites and checking things out so I will be purchasing some new clothes here soon.  I am getting excited knowing I get to shop for new tri clothes.  

If anyone wants to Facebook me I am Kathy Vogt Thuneman.

Billy - Here is my training log for today.... 1900 yard swim, 3 hour bike ride and then a 15 minute run.  I didn't have to do the run but my legs were shot and I figure there is no time like the present to do a brick.  Tomorrow will be a long run.  Legs were still shot after the short run that I took a cold bath, I usually only do those after long runs not after biking but it felt good anyway.  I am done for the day and am ready for a nap.

Kathy Vogt ThunemanI just sent you a friend request.

2012-04-29 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4178804

Extreme Veteran
Billy- your finish is added
2012-04-29 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4177709

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
benttwice - 2012-04-27 9:22 PM

irishod - How's the taper going? How is the Achilles Tendon? I hope it works out for you. I know how frustrating it is to get that close and have an injury / illness.

I lost 10 days of training but am back to running with the achilles holding up well.  Had three physical therapy appointments plus twice a day therapy at home.  It seems to be working pretty well.  I ran 11 miles of the marathon course ( I wanted to run the hilly part of the course beforehand) yesterday, and that's pretty much it for any kind of longer/hard runs before the race.  I'll run a couple shorter 3-4 mile easy runs this week.  I'm a little concerned about the weather forcast, as it looks like it'll be a warm one.  The advanced forcast is calling for a high of 79 (low of 59) and sunny. 

I'm really pumped though.  I've been looking forward to this for months and it's finally here. 

Sorry to hear your knee is still bothering you.  Sounds like your crushing everything else at least!  Give that knee time and you'll nail the HIM.

2012-04-29 6:39 PM
in reply to: #4177709

User image

Veteran
Long Island
benttwice - 2012-04-27 8:22 PM

I'm also a Garmin fan. I have an Edge 705 for the bike and love it (maps, directions, display all the data you could want). I've had it for 3 1/2 years and no problems. Bought it off eBay used!

IAnn - You specifically asked about the 910XT. I've only had it about 2 months. I think for an all around watch that does pretty much everything, it is the watch to get if you don't already have another device. For me, the best feature is the Swimming Mode, in particular pool lap swimming. You enter what length pool you are swimming in, and it will keep count of your lengths, number of strokes, type of stroke, efficiency, overall distance, etc. Other manufacturers have swim specific watches (Swimsense by Finis, etc.), but then you will need another device for bike and/or run.  I haven't used the open water swim mode yet, but from the reviews I've read, it does decent. The bike and run modes also work fine, but for me, the Edge is better for the bike and I still like my FR60 with the foot pod for running (the pace is not so great with GPS if you are not running fairly fast). The 910XT is also rather large. If you go to www.dcrainmaker.com, he has awesome reviews of any tri related gadgets you would ever desire.

Thanks for all of the info.  I will check out the website.  When I took a quick look at the device the watch did look huge!!  I have small wrists.  I like the swim function you spoke about.  I always lose track of where I am at.  so I always do more!!  Is the Timex smaller?  Without the swim function?  I am a slow runner. Will it track my Heart rate, mileage, mph etc.  Maybe I should go to the website and then ask all these questions..........

2012-04-29 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4179327

User image

Veteran
Long Island

left.right.repeat - 2012-04-29 12:16 PM Billy- your finish is added

How do I view the finish lines for the group?

Also, would like to donate to the cause but don't do the FB thing.  Is there another way?

2012-04-29 9:38 PM

User image

Richmond Hill

Kathy - Yes, I'm already registered for Augusta 70.3.  Thanks for your feedback- it really is coming at a good time - I was getting a bit concerned about getting ready. Its good to hear that you started now to get ready for it. Based on previous years, I know that late May through July, I usually can get a lot of training done, but I'm really worried about the knees. At this point, I'm going back to ground zero on the run and I'm going to do high volume on the bike and elliptical to get the cardio conditioning.

Billy - Awesome job on the 5K. That's a great time - I would be happy with it! 

irishod - Good to hear things are going OK - sounds like you'll be just fine. Dude - high of 79??? - That's like a cool winter day down here!!!

Ann - I haven't seen the Timex Global Trainer so I can't compare - but looking at the dcrainmaker.com website, it actually looks like the 910XT is smaller. The website has a size comparison of the 910XT against several different devices.  Yes, the swim function is nice - I always lost track of the number of laps I had done - this does all the counting for you. One problem I didn't mention earlier - the minimum pool length it accepts currently is 22 yards - they are supposedly working on allowing shorter but the firmware update isn't ready yet. And yes, it will track your heartrate (if you purchase it with a heart rate strap or already have an ANT+ HR strap), mph, distance, etc.

Facebook - I'm Robert Meade in Richmond Hill GA if anyone wishes to be my friend - wow, that sounds sophomoric!

Have a good week everyone - both training and otherwise!

2012-04-30 6:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Thanks again.  Idid go to that website and that guy is unbelieveably thorough!!  I doubt I will be able to figure out a fraction of the functions but I think it will suit me well.  I did see the size comparison.  It looked bulkyier (Is that a word???) in the box.

2012-05-01 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Been a while since my last post (sounds like a confessional beginning...)

1. Friended LRR on FB... noticed you have read Ellen's book, Bryan. She is also an IronHeart Racing Team member who will be at IMAZ.

2. Made the donation.

3. Added another finish line... HITS Olympic at Marble Falls this past weekend. It was ugly. Swim was tolerable, but the bike was an out-and-back. At the turnaround, I kid you not, you swing around the sign which is standing in the middle of the farm road and get blasted by the wind. I spent so much energy on the 14 miles back into town just trying to keep the bike upright. You would have thought with so many hills that there would have been some breaks in the wind, but nope. With the cross winds, I fought so much with keeping upright that I know I didn't hydrate correctly...and I really paid for that on the "run". They changed the run course to be the first 3.1 miles of the bike course, so we did the outbound hills again! And no shade. It got hot, and there was no catching up on the hydration. They ran out of water at the second aid station which didn't help either. But hey, I finished vertically, so we have success!

Been a pretty ugly week or two...one of my fellow football officials took his own life apparently, I lost a good friend to ovarian cancer this past week- she would have been 51 the day we put her to rest - and a very good man, triathlete coach and tremendous athlete, one of my fellow IronHeart Racing teammates (who was also supposed to do IMAZ) was found unresponsive after a century ride Sunday night. Hard to train with all that floating around the cerebrum, but it helps to stay active.

2012-05-01 10:56 AM

User image

Expert

Triple, I am sorry to hear about all of the heartache in your life right now.  Glad to see that you understand that it shouldn't prevent you from taking care of yourselve.  It is important that each one of us is sure of our future.  I don't mean here on earth.  Don't want to offend anyone, but I think I have made myself clear about my beliefs, and that is Jesus is the only one that can assure you of a great future.  Make no mistake, we all have a future, better choose wisely!

Haven't friended anyone yet, but plan to maybe tonight and also plan to make the donation LRR!

Billy "getting off my high horse now" McWilliams

2012-05-01 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4183639

User image

Veteran
Austin
elcaminobill - 2012-05-01 10:56 AM

Triple, I am sorry to hear about all of the heartache in your life right now.  Glad to see that you understand that it shouldn't prevent you from taking care of yourselve.  It is important that each one of us is sure of our future.  I don't mean here on earth.  Don't want to offend anyone, but I think I have made myself clear about my beliefs, and that is Jesus is the only one that can assure you of a great future.  Make no mistake, we all have a future, better choose wisely!

Haven't friended anyone yet, but plan to maybe tonight and also plan to make the donation LRR!

Billy "getting off my high horse now" McWilliams

That is the thought I am going with, brother!

2012-05-01 4:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am so sorry to hear about your friends, Triple.  After hearing all that it does make you think about your life and the future.  As I always say there is a reason for everything, we just have to take the time to figure out our lesson.

2012-05-01 4:31 PM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

2x Kathy... Triple.. wow.. lot to be hit with... my thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours and all their families.

Need to cherish and find enjoyment in everything we do and touch in our lives.. its all fleeting.

M.

2012-05-01 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4184677

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
Malsup - 2012-05-01 2:31 PM

2x Kathy... Triple.. wow.. lot to be hit with... my thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours and all their families.

Need to cherish and find enjoyment in everything we do and touch in our lives.. its all fleeting.

M.

x3 Kathy, M .... Triple It's alot to wrap the noodle around, but it teaches us to value everyday as an opportunity to improve our lives.  Of course, you already knew that.
/
Best Regards,
Mark

2012-05-01 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4183244

User image

Veteran
Long Island

So sorry about the losses this past week Triple.  My prayers are going out to you and the families and I am praying!  Keep the faith and take care of yourself as best as you can.  After that, it is not in our hands.  I also have my trust and faith in Jesus, as I found no down side to it and it has brought me through alot!  None of us are perfect. We just keep picking ourselves up and keep doing the best we can!!

Hugs to you!!

2012-05-01 7:13 PM

Regular

My condolences as well triple.  That is a lot to deal with....

2012-05-03 5:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good Morning!

I am starting to think about what nutrient I need to be using and I am more confused then ever.  I was planning on using, water, Gatorade and gels but I just seems to much to remember to drink what when, eat what when, etc.  But then again I was reading that people recommended using the stuff on the course as it would be cold which sounds wonderful and then I remember Billy's problem where they ran out.  I have a HIM in a month so I need to figure this out soon.

Happy training everyone!

2012-05-03 6:23 AM

User image

Expert

Well to start with, don't count on anything on the course being cold, especially after noon.  That takes a large amount of ice and or refridgeration, and they won't (didn't) spend the money for that last time.  You will be glad to get anything hot or cold by the end of the day. 

I was thinking about getting one of those "gym buddies" that vibrates at a preset interval to remind me to fuel. That was a problem for me as well last time and I must master it this time.

I think the infinit system is a great way to solve all of your needs in one bottle, just wish the 2010 race hadn't ruined it for me!

2012-05-03 6:24 AM

User image

Expert
I promise you, the HIM won't kill you if you are training for a full, so experiment with what ever you want and  if it doesn't work, it really doesn't matter.  It's not your A race.  Spendiong time with me is your "A" race!Wink

Edited by elcaminobill 2012-05-03 6:25 AM
2012-05-03 8:52 AM

User image

Expert

I agree with Billy.  Experiment now and see what works while you still have time to find something else.

When I did my first IM in 2010, I decided to give Infinit a try.  Purchased some in the spring and trained all season with it (fall IM).  It worked well for me and that is what I used (and still use) on the bike.  However, I knew that after hours of drinking it on the bike, I would want something different for the run.  I practiced with some of the Perform stuff that would be on the course and it did NOT agree with me.  I decided that I would just do shot blocks and water on the run because I did not want to carry any drinks on the run.  I also decided what I wanted in my special needs bag and then during one of my long rides about the same mileage as special needs, I ate that to see how my body would react.

Everyone is different.  Lots of people live off the course, but if you plan to do that you need to practice with what will be on the course.  If you want to bring your own nutrition, you need to figure out how you are going to carry it and practice that.  

2012-05-03 10:04 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Patrick, so sorry to hear about all the deaths in your life. That is so very sad... how are you holding up? I know they weren't family, but still..

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57