General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-03-13 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4657526

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
PrivateIdaho - 2013-03-12 7:57 PM

Woke up this morning and my right knee was on fire - couldn't straighten my leg and could hardly walk - WTF?  My ACL area felt a little sore after a high cadence trainer ride on Saturday and I cut my 4-hour ride on Sunday down to two hours because I could feel the stress and didn't want to injure it. Monday it was sore, but it was nothing that would have stopped me from running, although all I had scheduled was Masters swim.

This morning I got out of bed and almost fell on my face - right knee just collapsed.  If I walk on tip-toe I can get around, but as soon as I straighten my leg or move laterally it just gives out.  Glad this is a recovery week, looks like I'll have to take maximum advantage of it.  Doesn't feel like anything is torn, just inflamed and weak - hopefully I can at least swim, I'll find out at Masters tomorrow.

That stinks, hope you recover quickly!

2013-03-13 10:26 PM
in reply to: #4655027

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids
MRGIBBS - 2013-03-11 12:42 PM

Hey I was raised in GR, but moved to Idaho years ago.  I was living in GR in early 1980s when we used to watch re-runs of the Hawaii Ironman competition......who knew I would eventually enter an IM event.

How is training in ole GR in the winter....I bet wet, white and cold.

Training is definitely wet, white, and cold.  I don't mind running in it but biking outside is near impossible.  I think we had 6 snow days at my school this year.  Other area schools had even more.  I am ready for spring and some outside training.

2013-03-14 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4658063

User image

Chicago

I'd also suggest including tumeric in your food/smoothies/whatever to help with the inflamation. It's just as powerful as the over the counter anti-inflamatories but with the kicker of being all natural and including a host of other health benefits. To a lessor degree strawberries and pineapple are natural anti-inflamatories. Obviously ice will work wonders as well.

2013-03-14 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4306803

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

Only about 100 days left till the race...........

Happy training today everyone.  90 minute bike ride for me.  I'm going to watch Aliens vs predator.  Sounds teribble, but maybe exciting.

2013-03-14 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4659031

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho

I hope to run for 2 hours today.  While it is a warm 58 degrees, I always attract rain on my long run days.   I notice that wearing compression socks have taken most of my calf pains away....I think I will stick with them for while. 

I will be traveling to Grand Rapids in July.   Look foreward for a nice evening run along lake Michigan, near Grand Haven.

2013-03-14 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
3:30 on the trainer tomorrow. All before work. Going to bed very soon ...

2013-03-15 12:15 AM
in reply to: #4659292

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Thanks for the support and suggestions... I've been Resting-Icing-Compressing-Elevavating and the knee is improving.  Haven't taken three days off  since I can remember (at least this was a recovery week), but tomorrow I will be able to straighten my leg enough to swim without any problem.  Should be able to run on Saturday but not sure how far, and would like to get a good trainer ride on Sunday,  but I'm gonna be ultra careful at this point - we have less than 100 days!

Warmest week of the year around here... couple of more days and all the snow will be off my lawn - and a whole bunch of other chores will show up Undecided

2013-03-15 10:03 AM
in reply to: #4660564

User image

Chicago

yep..going to be another rainy weekend here. 80 minute run today (on a treadmill..ugh), then 3.5 on the trainer tomorrow, followed by a 120 minute run on Sunday.

Suffice to say my 2 new best friends (110% knicker compression jugglers, and Grid foam roller) will not have much of a relaxing weekend either.

Edited by Skipjack_50 2013-03-15 10:07 AM
2013-03-16 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4660954

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids

Hoped to do an outside brick workout today but we got some snow overnight.  Instead I did my biking on the trainer before heading outside for my run.  It always slows my transition down when I need to add arm warmers, tights, gloves, jacket, and my balaclava.  Only two more weeks until spring break.

On that note, has anyone ever biked Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina?  I'm headed that way for spring break and looking to do some significant climbs on the bike.

2013-03-16 4:35 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

After spending 5 miles on the trainer I realized I really wanted to be outside.  Kinda cool and windy but glad I did the other 40 miles outside.  On the down side, I have some cleaning ahead of me Frown

(dirtybike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
dirtybike.jpg (95KB - 14 downloads)
2013-03-16 6:06 PM

User image

Spokane
Had my first "tri" workout today. Biked 50 miles, 4 mile run 1 mile swim. the swim was last and it actually refreshed me so i'm feeling good, just hungry as .

2013-03-18 11:25 PM
in reply to: #4662641

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

During my knee trouble last week, I took a few days off and just did a couple of swim workouts.  Got in a low intensity hour on the trainer yesterday and an easy 45 minute run today - all seems to be good, although I feel slow and sluggish and gained a couple of pounds.

I think whoever suggested tendonitis was probably right, I had a similar problem a few years ago playing  basketball. Gonna keep a closer eye on it from here on out - I think if I would have reacted sooner and started icing and ibuprofen right away, I wouldn't have spent so long on the bench.

2013-03-19 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4665478

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
PrivateIdaho - 2013-03-18 9:25 PM

During my knee trouble last week, I took a few days off and just did a couple of swim workouts.  Got in a low intensity hour on the trainer yesterday and an easy 45 minute run today - all seems to be good, although I feel slow and sluggish and gained a couple of pounds.

I think whoever suggested tendonitis was probably right, I had a similar problem a few years ago playing  basketball. Gonna keep a closer eye on it from here on out - I think if I would have reacted sooner and started icing and ibuprofen right away, I wouldn't have spent so long on the bench.

Good to hear you are recovering, you will be back to normal in no time!

2013-03-19 10:43 AM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho

Holy moleys!  Work up the CDA IM course biggest hill at 8 mph only to hit head winds that punish me and hold me to 8mph.   Could only handle an hour of this and had to turn back....blown home.    The tail wind didnt help me up the hill.   Did a tri workout yesterday.   2 mile swim, 25mile trainer, and 7 mile outdoor run.   Cold air seemed to zap my aerobic capacity at the end, but recovery has been good so far.

2013-03-19 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Got a prescription for augmentin today and a lecture for not coming in to the doctor about 5 days sooner.  Hopefully I will feel better soon - I gotta get back to riding.
2013-03-19 6:35 PM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho

Wow I really should of started this Triathlon stuff when I was younger.   Getting old sucks!

I have no hair, so my sweat runs down my face.  My calves cramp, so I need compression stockings. My arches have fallen, so now I have orthotics.   I used to have a Butt,  now after miles of running it is gone.   I used to party after workouts, now it just wears me out.   I used to buy equipment to make me faster, now I buy equipment to keep from me from more pain.   When did Ibuprofen become my friend?

Getting old sucks!

2013-03-19 10:45 PM
in reply to: #4666834

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Ok, so tomorrow is supposed to be snow, lots of rain and 50 mph winds and I have a 75 minute run scheduled.  Treadmill is out of the question and there's no way I can skip it after missing all my runs last week with a knee problem. I also can't move it to another day because of my schedule this week.

The only reason I bring it up is, I know I'm more likely to HTFU and do it if I tell everybody and know someone will think I'm a wuss if I don't.

2013-03-19 11:56 PM
in reply to: #4667049

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
PrivateIdaho - 2013-03-19 8:45 PM

Ok, so tomorrow is supposed to be snow, lots of rain and 50 mph winds and I have a 75 minute run scheduled.  Treadmill is out of the question and there's no way I can skip it after missing all my runs last week with a knee problem. I also can't move it to another day because of my schedule this week.

The only reason I bring it up is, I know I'm more likely to HTFU and do it if I tell everybody and know someone will think I'm a wuss if I don't.

If it makes you feel better I will be out there running tomorrow as well.
2013-03-20 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
PrivateIdaho - 2013-03-19 11:45 PM

I would trade you my two hours on the trainer for your run anyday.  I don't care what the weather is running outside is always better than sitting in a stationary location for two hours not moving.  Never mind the longer rides that come later. 

Looks like spring in Michigan didn't get the memo.  Cold and crappy for the foreseeable future.  Doesn't look good for riding outside. 

On a good note my kit is done at the printer and should be here by friday.

Have a good week and weekend everyone.     

2013-03-20 7:56 AM

User image

Spokane

I have a 1:35 bike and 1:05 run today, looks like crap outside so i will probably stay inside trainer/treadmill. You can go run in the pool if you really dont want to go outside lol.

2013-03-20 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

WOW!  I headed out for my run and it was actually quite pleasant, a little rain and wind but nothing like they predicted and there was even quite a bit of sun.  I started feeling pretty foolish about being concerned about it yesterday and here I am overdressed and over-heating in the sunlight.

Then, with 15 minutes to go, it hit - big time!  Literally, in less than five minutes, the skies went from sunshine to pitch black with lightning strikes all around.  The wind howled and it was constant thunder.  I immediately decided to cut it short, pick up the pace, and take a half-mile shortcut back to the gym.  I got about 100 yards and then came the hail - lots of hail!  So much hail, that cars were pulling over.  I was getting pummeled by stinging pea-sized hail, so I sprinted  into a restaurant I happened to be running by to ride it out - you should have seen the look on everyone's faces when I came flying in the door.

Just one more memorable experience in the Ironman adventure.

2013-03-20 4:43 PM
in reply to: #4668078

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
PrivateIdaho - 2013-03-20 4:41 PM

WOW!  I headed out for my run and it was actually quite pleasant, a little rain and wind but nothing like they predicted and there was even quite a bit of sun.  I started feeling pretty foolish about being concerned about it yesterday and here I am overdressed and over-heating in the sunlight.

Then, with 15 minutes to go, it hit - big time!  Literally, in less than five minutes, the skies went from sunshine to pitch black with lightning strikes all around.  The wind howled and it was constant thunder.  I immediately decided to cut it short, pick up the pace, and take a half-mile shortcut back to the gym.  I got about 100 yards and then came the hail - lots of hail!  So much hail, that cars were pulling over.  I was getting pummeled by stinging pea-sized hail, so I sprinted  into a restaurant I happened to be running by to ride it out - you should have seen the look on everyone's faces when I came flying in the door.

Sounds epic and fun! Well, only fun because you didn't get hurt but the hail. Smile

2013-03-20 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4668078

User image

Spokane
PrivateIdaho - 2013-03-20 2:41 PM

yeah that was crazy hail today. Still randomly going on. I'm glad i stayed inside

2013-03-20 11:10 PM
in reply to: #4668082

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
bradaskins - 2013-03-20 2:43 PM
PrivateIdaho - 2013-03-20 4:41 PM

Sounds epic and fun! Well, only fun because you didn't get hurt but the hail. Smile

Yeah, I don't throw around the word "epic" lightly, but I think it qualifies in all my run experiences.  And in a sick kind of way that only people around here would understand, it was fun - if it weren't for all that lightning, I would have battled through the hail.

2013-03-21 1:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

That sound slike a great epic run.  Can you imagine how it would be to be stuck in golf ball sized hail?  Man would that suck.

My kit for the race is done.  I'm pretty excited to get it and break it in.  Kind of makes me feel like the race is right around the corner.

(Race kit back.jpg)

(Race kit front.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Race kit back.jpg (36KB - 17 downloads)
Race kit front.jpg (28KB - 12 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57