General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2013-04-27 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4320991

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread
It was supposed to say post up pictures of race ready bikes. I like your orange calve sleeves idea. I made the switch to bright green shoes last year to help my family identify me as well. As an average sized white guy wearing black, I tend to blend in

2013-04-27 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4717121

User image

Regular
The Sipp

papson14 - 2013-04-27 9:12 AM It was supposed to say post up pictures of race ready bikes. I like your orange calve sleeves idea. I made the switch to bright green shoes last year to help my family identify me as well. As an average sized white guy wearing black, I tend to blend in

As do I. My white/grey kit stood out, but with the dirty water we will be in I figure I better go black. I just ordered some of those "ON Cloudracers" which are white and orange, so I will match on the run. I will totally not match on the bike as mine is red/blk/white, my bike shoes are bright yellow, and if I wear those orange calf sleeves...Well, I will stand out for sure lol. I think I will wear my black sleeves for the bike and change them to the orange for the run...I am sure I will need the break anyway, so what is another minute

I aint going to 'win', so its all about look good right haha

2013-04-27 11:39 AM

Plano, TX
I hope everyone's having a better training day today than me!  I was planning to do a race rehearsal this morning with a 113bike/6run practicing the transition.  I guess God had a different plan.  50 miles in I inexplicably fell over on my bike after not properly clipping out at a stop light.  Clipped out 100s of times and this has never happened...why now?  Bike appears to be fine...my shoulder that I landed on, however, not so great.  At first I couldn't lift it over my head, but is already starting to get better.  I will definitely need a few days before I'll feel comfortable trying it out in the pool.  Now icing and popping advil.  I guess my taper is starting 1.5 days earlier than I thought!  Fun stuff....everyone stay safe.
2013-04-27 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4717189

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
jte463 - 2013-04-27 11:39 AMI hope everyone's having a better training day today than me!  I was planning to do a race rehearsal this morning with a 113bike/6run practicing the transition.  I guess God had a different plan.  50 miles in I inexplicably fell over on my bike after not properly clipping out at a stop light.  Clipped out 100s of times and this has never happened...why now?  Bike appears to be fine...my shoulder that I landed on, however, not so great.  At first I couldn't lift it over my head, but is already starting to get better.  I will definitely need a few days before I'll feel comfortable trying it out in the pool.  Now icing and popping advil.  I guess my taper is starting 1.5 days earlier than I thought!  Fun stuff....everyone stay safe.

maybe he was telling you to take it easy.... Rest well and recover. By this point most of you have done the work, just stay healthy.

2013-04-27 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco

Forecast this morning said winds NNW at 6-9 ... THERE IS NO WAY THOSE WINDS WERE 6-9! ... easily blowing 15 with gusts higher than that! Got my 100 out of the way, had lunch, and will be heading off to the lake for a 1 hour OWS. Tomorrows run should be fun. Supposed to be at least 80 and I am waiting till the heat of the day to head out. race prep at its finest!

Jte, it happens to all of us (and to me a few weeks ago. Long story involving a Miata) so I feel your pain. A few easy days is probably all it needs to feel right again.

Edited by se7930 2013-04-27 3:15 PM
2013-04-27 3:42 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
6 hour ride today.  Rain, flats, and assorted other tech issues.  It's done though.  Last long ride out of the way. 

2013-04-27 8:14 PM

User image

Regular
Huge volume for me is OVER. Extended run commute to work this evening (21miles/3:04). Low 80's temp w some humidity. Very steady pace w some hills to boot. Best part was going to Chipotle and knocking back the burrito to get my carb levels back up. Got to do a quick 1h spin to get home. Yesterday 112bike/7.5run brick (legs on bike didn't want to pedal for the first hour or so). Almost 40miles of running over the past 3 days. Feeling fairly good w nutrition plan. Just hoping to stay injury free over the next few weeks as volume drops significantly. Hope everyone else is doing well.

3 weeks y'all

Tom

2013-04-28 1:53 AM

New user
San Francisco

1 hour OWS this morning and then last long bike ride. 5 hours in the Marin Headlands (steep, long hills/ Mt. Tam) and then back over to SF.

<1 mile from my house and I get t-boned by an SUV coming from the opposite direction and pulling into a street "to pick up his pizza from Roundtable"! Everything happened in slowmotion and I was just braking, screaming for him to brake and bracing for impact. He hit me hard on the left side of my body, went flying and luckily he broke. I don't know how I landed but I didn't hit my head, nothing is broken and I am just black and blue from the impact. Cops, fire dept and paramedics came which I thought was a lot of attention for me. I declined the ambulance ride but did go to the ER with a friend after my shower. They are not worried about anything too bad but did tell me that i am going to be very sore for about a week. 

A bit of a monologue but I know I am SUPER SUPER LUCKY! My poor fiancee is out of town and super worried but I am fine. I always wondered what it would be like to be hit by a car and now I know!

Phew.

2013-04-28 3:54 AM

User image

Regular
Dang sorry for your misfortunes, but glad to see you're going to be okay. Rest up and hope you heal very, very quickly.

Tom
2013-04-28 7:26 AM

User image

20 miles run and 2 miles swim yesterday...

Today...my last long ride!!! I have planned 6 hrs ride today thru the IMTX route... any words on the weather/road conditions this morning after the that crazy rain from yesterday and last night?  Would not like to set my mind to ride in the trainer for that long, but, we are so close to the end and don't won't to risk it either... 

2013-04-28 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4717592

Plano, TX
paddyirishman - 2013-04-28 1:53 AM

1 hour OWS this morning and then last long bike ride. 5 hours in the Marin Headlands (steep, long hills/ Mt. Tam) and then back over to SF.

A bit of a monologue but I know I am SUPER SUPER LUCKY! My poor fiancee is out of town and super worried but I am fine. I always wondered what it would be like to be hit by a car and now I know!

Phew.

And once again, perspective is gained.  So glad it sounds like you'll be ok in relatively short order.  Take care of yourself.

2013-04-28 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4717592

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
paddyirishman - 2013-04-28 1:53 AM

<1 mile from my house and I get t-boned by an SUV coming from the opposite direction and pulling into a street "to pick up his pizza from Roundtable"! Everything happened in slowmotion and I was just braking, screaming for him to brake and bracing for impact. He hit me hard on the left side of my body, went flying and luckily he broke. I don't know how I landed but I didn't hit my head, nothing is broken and I am just black and blue from the impact. Cops, fire dept and paramedics came which I thought was a lot of attention for me. I declined the ambulance ride but did go to the ER with a friend after my shower. They are not worried about anything too bad but did tell me that i am going to be very sore for about a week. 

Phew.

. Wow, that's terrible. So glad you're okay. How do you feel? How's the bike? Rest up.

2013-04-28 4:15 PM

New user

Lakeland, Virginia
The Marriott Waterway has rooms open if anyone is interested.  Not cheap though ~$350/night.

Edited by j.murdock 2013-04-28 4:15 PM
2013-04-28 6:22 PM
in reply to: #4717986

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
j.murdock - 2013-04-28 4:15 PMThe Marriott Waterway has rooms open if anyone is interested.  Not cheap though ~$350/night.

. 350 a night! Wow.

2013-04-28 7:11 PM

Veteran

Crazy hearing about everyone's issues with the peak training but glad to hear there is nothing too serious!

Done with my peak! Worst part was driving 1.5 hours to do my ride and forgetting my shoes... No bike stores nearby that had shoes so had 120 clicks on flat pedals w/ toe clips!

2013-04-28 7:31 PM

Ready for taper! For the first time all training cycle, I blew off my 4500 yd swim and 30 min run yesterday. Just didn't feel good and kept falling back asleep. Everything I've read says the big risk is sickness/injury at this point, so I just decided to listen to the body. Today was a 101 mile ride and 5 mile run. Felt good. Big time negative split and then the fastest 5 miles I've seen in awhile with the same effort. Guess my body liked the extra food I consumed on the ride and the extra rest. Mentally, it really helped me to feel good at the end of the ride instead of beat up like I did earlier in the cycle.

This is my first IM. I'm so nervous! The training volume is killing me! I'll be so glad to get back to shorter stuff. It's way too hard to train for an IM with 2 kids, a husband and a full-time job! Ugh!

Good luck everyone! I love reading about everyone's training. Although the volume some of you put in freaks me out! Makes me feel underprepared for sure!

2013-04-28 11:56 PM
in reply to: #4718155

User image

Regular
The Sipp
RJohnson1979 - 2013-04-28 7:11 PM

Crazy hearing about everyone's issues with the peak training but glad to hear there is nothing too serious!

Done with my peak! Worst part was driving 1.5 hours to do my ride and forgetting my shoes... No bike stores nearby that had shoes so had 120 clicks on flat pedals w/ toe clips!

Wow lol, now that getting it done!!
2013-04-29 8:09 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

10 mile run on Saturday and a 100 mile ride on Sunday.

Felt great on both of them (nutrition seemed to be on-point for both...and for the days leading up to it too). Let's hope that I got it dialed in and everything can come together for race day.

It's going to be a sufferfest for me too. During training I've been lazy, had a kid (well...my wife did), gone on vacation for a week, a 5 day stay for my oldest kid in the hospital, Thanksgiving, Christmas, laziness, excuses, and more laziness and excuses.

Since this is my first (and probably only) IM, I'm going to have fun, smile a lot - may be faked, and complete this journey. This is my one shot. I'm either going to do it or live the rest of my life saying "I almost did an Ironman".

Totals for this month

Swim - 12,200m (have an hour tonight)
Bike - 584 miles (have a 2.5 hour trainer session on Tuesday)
Run - 53 miles (pretty light...)

19 days boys and girls......1 - 9.....

2013-04-29 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4718579

User image

Regular
The Sipp

bradleyd3 - 2013-04-29 8:09 AM 10 mile run on Saturday and a 100 mile ride on Sunday. Felt great on both of them (nutrition seemed to be on-point for both...and for the days leading up to it too). Let's hope that I got it dialed in and everything can come together for race day. It's going to be a sufferfest for me too. During training I've been lazy, had a kid (well...my wife did), gone on vacation for a week, a 5 day stay for my oldest kid in the hospital, Thanksgiving, Christmas, laziness, excuses, and more laziness and excuses. Since this is my first (and probably only) IM, I'm going to have fun, smile a lot - may be faked, and complete this journey. This is my one shot. I'm either going to do it or live the rest of my life saying "I almost did an Ironman". Totals for this month Swim - 12,200m (have an hour tonight) Bike - 584 miles (have a 2.5 hour trainer session on Tuesday) Run - 53 miles (pretty light...) 19 days boys and girls......1 - 9.....

Oh there will be NO TALK of "almost"...You gonna DO IT!! I will be right there with ya having fun and just enjoying it! I am going to do IMFL also this year, so I am using this one to 'get my feet wet'....What ya going to wear? If I see ya slackin, I will give you a pep talk and get your butt movin lol.

You cant miss my bike, it will be the only one with Batman Symbols on the rear disc I bet

2013-04-29 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4718593

User image

Pro
CyFair
pprice72 - 2013-04-29 8:18 AM

bradleyd3 - 2013-04-29 8:09 AM 10 mile run on Saturday and a 100 mile ride on Sunday. Felt great on both of them (nutrition seemed to be on-point for both...and for the days leading up to it too). Let's hope that I got it dialed in and everything can come together for race day. It's going to be a sufferfest for me too. During training I've been lazy, had a kid (well...my wife did), gone on vacation for a week, a 5 day stay for my oldest kid in the hospital, Thanksgiving, Christmas, laziness, excuses, and more laziness and excuses. Since this is my first (and probably only) IM, I'm going to have fun, smile a lot - may be faked, and complete this journey. This is my one shot. I'm either going to do it or live the rest of my life saying "I almost did an Ironman". Totals for this month Swim - 12,200m (have an hour tonight) Bike - 584 miles (have a 2.5 hour trainer session on Tuesday) Run - 53 miles (pretty light...) 19 days boys and girls......1 - 9.....

Oh there will be NO TALK of "almost"...You gonna DO IT!! I will be right there with ya having fun and just enjoying it! I am going to do IMFL also this year, so I am using this one to 'get my feet wet'....What ya going to wear? If I see ya slackin, I will give you a pep talk and get your butt movin lol.

You cant miss my bike, it will be the only one with Batman Symbols on the rear disc I bet

^^^ This. 

Oh and my buddy runs a punisher logo on his disc and I have another with a Superman logo (pretty ballsy if you ask me) on his wheel cover.  So don't be so sure.  LOL.

2013-04-29 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4718608

User image

Regular
The Sipp
uhcoog - 2013-04-29 8:27 AM
pprice72 - 2013-04-29 8:18 AM

^^^ This. 

Oh and my buddy runs a punisher logo on his disc and I have another with a Superman logo (pretty ballsy if you ask me) on his wheel cover.  So don't be so sure.  LOL.

Ha, we might have all the super heros covered ...Batman is the coolest though haha

2013-04-29 8:41 AM

User image

Middle Georgia

What kind of taper are you guys looking at?  I have no coach or plan, so winging it.

I'm ending 16 weeks at pretty consistent at 2-3 swims/wk (shoulder issues), 180 miles bike, and 45 miles running/week, capped with 100 mile rides, 20 mile long runs, and 2 mile bricks of each ride.  

I'm thinking maybe 30% reduction this week, another 20% next week, then coast in race week. 

What kind of finishes are you guys looking at?

Edited by lakeview 2013-04-29 8:56 AM
2013-04-29 8:52 AM

Thanks TJ for having the open water swim on Saturday in Lake Woodlands. I was lacking in my swim confidence so needed to tackle this demon. Went without wetsuit and completed two loops in 1:33. One loop was supposed to be 1.2 miles but everyone was getting 1.3+ . Having barely learned to swim two years ago, I will take that time. Just looking for 1:30-1:35 in the race. With the overcaste conditions, found some good landmarks to site off of as all the splashing in the race sometimes hides the buoys.

For those looking at the longterm forcast...Race is cloudy in the morning and warming up to 90 in the afternoon. That is more like it

What is the update on the chipseal section?

2013-04-29 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4718665

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

Mike - All that rain Saturday afternoon thwarted my long ride and had to sit inside on the trainer. I don't have an update for you as I also haven't heard from the guys I know who rode Sat am on the course. I'll reach out to them and see what they saw.

I will be riding the course beginning at Bear Branch Middle School this Saturday with my coach and his athletes. Planning wheels down by 6:45 if anyone is interested in joining or following along.

This weather is ridiculous. I ran the Green 6.2 in CityCenter on Saturday and I believe that was my first tempo run in some decent humidity. Body was seriously sweating but felt great. Set a new PR on 10k. Nothing compared to last year's weather at this time.

2013-04-29 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4718665

Plano, TX
mikiefaith - 2013-04-29 8:52 AM

Thanks TJ for having the open water swim on Saturday in Lake Woodlands. I was lacking in my swim confidence so needed to tackle this demon. Went without wetsuit and completed two loops in 1:33. One loop was supposed to be 1.2 miles but everyone was getting 1.3+ . Having barely learned to swim two years ago, I will take that time. Just looking for 1:30-1:35 in the race. With the overcaste conditions, found some good landmarks to site off of as all the splashing in the race sometimes hides the buoys.

For those looking at the longterm forcast...Race is cloudy in the morning and warming up to 90 in the afternoon. That is more like it

What is the update on the chipseal section?

I was still holding onto the hope of it being wetsuit legal given the forecasted cool weather even late into this week in The Woodlands.  I know I can wear the wetsuit and take the penalty, but I didn't want to miss out on the mass start...that's part of the fun, right? Smile 

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 43