BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-07-18 9:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Gray
Just got my wetsuit and wore it for the first time, very cool! I was surprised at how bouyant I felt and liked how it kept my legs up in the water. I think I really like this open water swim stuff, it is really cool to see how far you actually go as opposed to just doing laps in the pool. Plus the ocean is only a 10 minute ride from my house and the pool is 30 minutes away.

Did a 30 minute swim with my suit on in the ocean. I was feeling pretty good but didn't have my sneakers with me so I did 30 minutes running on a hard packed sand beach barefoot. This was the first time I ran barefoot and I liked it. One of my running buddies said my arches will be sore tomorrow but as of right now everything is good.

I was going to try and get some bricks in this week but only got one in due to work stuff. Looking forward to a good workout weekend, Meeting up with an expereince bike buddy that will really push me on Saturday.

Game on!

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-07-18 9:59 PM

2013-07-19 8:39 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: weekend races
After doing OWS this summer i dread going back to the pool ! LOL

Have fun James. The black dog had hot tea past two mornings due to our cold front. 72 degrees here. brrr
Seriously I had goosebumps !!

Good luck to racers !!!

2013-07-19 12:20 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I am doing my first ever 5K this weekend.

As I sit here on the eve of the race, I find I am incredibly nervous about the race and I have absolutely no idea what THAT is all about.  Over my athletic career I have been involved in some pretty big races and some pretty important races (finals at an Olympic Trial, finals in multiple National Championships for example) and while I have experienced nervousness, it has never been like it is leading up to this little run.

Maybe because I am not a runner and I know I am not a runner?  Oh well, my goal for the weekend is to have fun as I continue my quest to make the run my friend.

Good luck to anyone else racing this weekend!

2013-07-19 3:06 PM
in reply to: k9car363

Good luck Scott on the 5K. I am doing my first race of the season tomorrow - a sprint triathlon. My inconsistent training over the past 12 months has me very concerned. My goal has to be to have fun and see what my base level of fitness is for such an event.

Cheers!!
2013-07-19 8:41 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Good Luck Scott, you are going to do awesome!!!

Like you said, just have fun with it.

Maybe Steve or one of our more experienced runners can give you some advice on the nervousness.

With being a little nervous you have to use the facilities right before the race, the best tip I have is look for the porta-potty line with more guys than girls because it tends to move quicker.

Hope you get a good nights sleep but I have had some of my best races after nights where I thought I didn't sleep well.

Remember the most important thing is to smile and have fun!!!

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-07-19 8:44 PM
2013-07-19 10:25 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by k9car363

Oh well, my goal for the weekend is to have fun as I continue my quest to make the run my friend.

That's the right idea Scott. Think of it as a fun run, not a race. Watch your pace for the first mile...you'll probably have a lot of adrenalin pumping and it's very common to go out too fast. See how you feel at mile one. If you're feeling good, press the pace a slight amount. If not, just back it off. If you can get your time at each one mile split it will provide good information for future training goals.

You'll do fine. Run within your current capabilities, just like a training run.

Good luck!

Steve

2013-07-20 8:20 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by dustytrails

72 degrees here. brrr

Sounds like you finally got a break from that heat wave.

I think we are in it now it was 99F yesterday.

I really wanted to do a brick and I was fine on the bike but the run was one of the hardest I have had in a long time. I know I should have been doing it earlier in the day and I was up swimming at sunrise but I wasn't able to do my bike and run till later in the day due to work and I couldn't do it at night because I wanted to go to my son's baseball game. The main thing I tried to do was stay hydrated but that heat and humidity at 75% really kicked my butt on the run.

The running right after getting off the bike has been a little hard for me. Does anyone one have any tips or is it something you just have to practice and get used to?

Stay cool out there!!!

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-07-20 8:22 AM
2013-07-20 8:32 AM
in reply to: charlotte hobbs

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by charlotte hobbs

Good luck Scott on the 5K. I am doing my first race of the season tomorrow - a sprint triathlon. My inconsistent training over the past 12 months has me very concerned. My goal has to be to have fun and see what my base level of fitness is for such an event.

Cheers!!

Good Luck Charotte!!!

Due to injuries and work I am kind of in the same boat as you on the traiing thing. My first ever Sprint Tri is next week and I am going to take Steve's advice and just have fun with it and use my splits for future training.

You are going to do awesome!!!

I will be looking forward to your race report!

Have FUN!!!
2013-07-20 2:36 PM

thanks James. i had a great time with a few hiccups. my goggle strap broke just as i was about to get in the water and took 3 minutes to fix.
I came in 5th in AG among 6 participants. The 1st female in 55-59 was 6th overall female so her award was in other category. the 3rd in the 55-59 AG category who won an award was 13 seconds faster than me. i was glad to finish, and i learnt what i need to do to get on the podium.
a
I have a sprint race on August 10th (3 weeks), September 1st (6 weeks), and if i go September 15th in London, England (8 weeks) and October 12th (12 weeks). i think i am just going to stick with sprint distances this season and really work on improving time. Once i accomplish that goal, then i will move to Olympic distance for 2014. Does that seem reasonable?
2013-07-20 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

thanks James. i had a great time with a few hiccups. my goggle strap broke just as i was about to get in the water and took 3 minutes to fix.
I came in 5th in AG among 6 participants. The 1st female in 55-59 was 6th overall female so her award was in other category. the 3rd in the 55-59 AG category who won an award was 13 seconds faster than me. i was glad to finish, and i learnt what i need to do to get on the podium.
a
I have a sprint race on August 10th (3 weeks), September 1st (6 weeks), and if i go September 15th in London, England (8 weeks) and October 12th (12 weeks). i think i am just going to stick with sprint distances this season and really work on improving time. Once i accomplish that goal, then i will move to Olympic distance for 2014. Does that seem reasonable?

Charlotte,

That is very reasonable! It's exactly what I did. My first year (last year, lol) I did three sprint tris. Then this year, the sprint I started with last year added an Oly this year so I decided to move up and have done my second since. I will likely do my third Oly in October. And going to Dublin? How cool and to do a tri in London? How awesome is that!
2013-07-20 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

I am doing my first ever 5K this weekend.

As I sit here on the eve of the race, I find I am incredibly nervous about the race and I have absolutely no idea what THAT is all about.  Over my athletic career I have been involved in some pretty big races and some pretty important races (finals at an Olympic Trial, finals in multiple National Championships for example) and while I have experienced nervousness, it has never been like it is leading up to this little run.

Maybe because I am not a runner and I know I am not a runner?  Oh well, my goal for the weekend is to have fun as I continue my quest to make the run my friend.

First race jitters! Perfectly normal. I got them all the time until I started racing regularly. I hope it went well for you!

2013-07-20 8:14 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
i had a great time with a few hiccups. my goggle strap broke just as i was about to get in the water and took 3 minutes to fix.

Wow! Great job Charlotte!

2013-07-21 7:00 AM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Ran the Triangle Triathlon yesterday. Result: not too good, but I did finish! I puales a calf muscle last Monday and had considered pulling out of this race. But since I had already paid, I decided to at least go and do the swim, maybe the bike ride and scratch the run. That was the plan, did the swim, better than I usually do and not anywhere near as tired as usual (been working on efficiency in my strokes), so I decided to do the bike ride, bike ride went ok, no pain actually little better times than I expected on a somewhat hilly course (I live in flatlands so I don't get much opportunity to do hills). Finished the bike ride, no pain feeling good, a little tired, 90 degrees but I had been hydrating no concern. The side of my brain that thinks logically told me to stop while I was ahead. The side that tends to run my life said what the hell, you're feeling ok, no pain, go for it. So had some water and some Hammer Gel and started the run. First mile ok, not setting any records because I wanted to take it easy at the two mile mark, my leg started hurting. Now at this point I could have stopped because this is only a hundred yards or so from the start/finish line. Did I do the obvious thing? No, I thought to myself not hurting too bad, keep on going, i've never ever not finished a race I've started, so the turn I made. With each tep the pain kept getting worse, but I had decided to run, I intended to run. At the 2.5 mile turn for the half mile back to the finish line, I could no longer run. For the first time in my life, I limped in the last half mile or so to the finish line, it was so disappointing to see one person after the next pass me by. I managed to put it together a little so I could at least be running at the finish line. End result, dead last in my AG, worst run time ever, went from having a decent Tri, to one of the worst performances I ever had. Lesson learned, ( probably not), I will go with my gut instincts the next time. On a positive note, the calf doesn't seem to be too bad this morn, a little sore. My next Tri is the NC State Triathlon championships in Greensboro, August 31st.
2013-07-21 4:25 PM
in reply to: Bull

User image

Regular
Newport News
Did the Triangle back in 2011 it was my second triathlon ever. It was hot then too. Had trouble particularly with the run over 40 minutes for the 5k. Got passed by many including a fellow in my age group at the last water stop, was able to keep him in sight and ended passing him right before t the finish my over all time was one second faster.

Almost the same thing happened again this weekend in the Tidewater Triathlon. Got passed by the second place finisher in my group at the start of the run, never saw him again, and the by another just before the last water stop. Memories of the Triangle! I was able to keep on his heels, with the finish in sight, turned to him and said its time for are final kick. I took off and finished 2 seconds ahead for a AG 3rd place. See race report http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

This morning in honor of the Tour de France. I did a 29 mile bike ride on the Yorktown battle field road,, which includes a 1.5 mile loop of the French encampments. So I did the French loop 10 times the "Tour the French Encampments" not quite the Champs-Elysées.

(Image07212013104500.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Image07212013104500.jpg (563KB - 22 downloads)
2013-07-21 4:38 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Well, I did it.  Completed my first 5K this morning!  Good news?  I finished on my feet in less than an hour.  Bad news?  I finished in BARELY less than an hour.  All you runners, don't laugh - my time was 52:25.  Clearly I have a LONG ways to go to get to a sub 4-hour marathon.  I went in to today looking to have a good time (with the event) and maybe learn a thing or two.  I accomplished both of those goals.

It was kind of funny, I heard all morning about one of the perks of this race being the San Diego Charger cheerleaders lining the finish chute.  When I got to the finish line, I was so happy to see the actual finish that I didn't even notice the cheerleaders.  Really?  How does that happen?  Didn't see the cheerleaders until I saw pictures of me going down the finish chute.  Oh well, I crossed on my feet and I was quite happy with that.

Finally got a good max heart rate so I can recalculate my HR training zones.

One thing I learned was that if I want to run faster, I need to train faster.  A quick 'thank you' to Steve!  A few weeks ago, Steve encouraged me to read "Runner's World: Run Less, Run Faster."  I have now read it twice, cover to cover.  The book strongly advocates intensity over volume.  The authors make some incredibly good points and it all makes perfect sense to me.  I am an I.T. consultant, so I am kind of a nerd to begin with and really get in to the technical side of things.  It was like this book was written for me.  Going to adopt the new run training plan tomorrow.

Before the race today, I kind of had a time goal of <45 minutes.  After reading the book, I realized that time was completely unrealistic given that most of my training paces have been closer to 17:30/mile than 15.  My actual goal probably should have been more like 53-54 minutes which I exceeded.  I guess I am happy because I have reinforcement of the information in the book before I have really even started down that path.

My take away from this weekend is that I need to train harder and smarter.  I had a good time, but a good time is probably not going to get me to Kona.  I think the biggest take away was that I no longer HATE running.  Maybe I am still not a runner, but at least running and I are now having civilized conversations so there is hope for the future.

Race report if anyone wants to read about an absolute novice's first 5K -http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?raceid=246870

2013-07-21 6:27 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Great job Scott!!!

You should be very proud of yourself, your weight loss has been outstanding and you will be flying pretty soon.

Keep up the great work.

2013-07-21 6:32 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by Bull

On a positive note, the calf doesn't seem to be too bad this morn, a little sore. My next Tri is the NC State Triathlon championships in Greensboro, August 31st.

Glad you are OK.

When I had my IT Band issue Steve told me not to do a half marathon I had scheduled and it was one of the smartest things I have done.

Hang in there and take it easy so you can be ready for August 31st.
2013-07-21 6:46 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by tkatzhyman . . . I was able to keep on his heels, with the finish in sight, turned to him and said its time for are final kick. I took off and finished 2 seconds ahead for a AG 3rd place.

I love hearing stories like this.  Reminds me of the old quote, "If you can't finish first, make the guy ahead of you set a record."

Good job!

2013-07-21 7:24 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by tkatzhyman

I was able to keep on his heels, with the finish in sight, turned to him and said its time for are final kick. I took off and finished 2 seconds ahead for a AG 3rd place. See race report http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

This morning in honor of the Tour de France. I did a 29 mile bike ride on the Yorktown battle field road,, which includes a 1.5 mile loop of the French encampments. So I did the French loop 10 times the "Tour the French Encampments" not quite the Champs-Elysées.

Nice job on the race! Too funny, I love the "time for a final kick" comment. Ahhh the joys of racing, where else can you do this.

Remind me if I ever race near Newport News to be looking over my shoulder.

I liked your Tour de France tribute, plus 29m day after a race, very impressive, once again great job!
2013-07-22 8:39 AM

User image

Regular

a

Nice race Charlotte. Sounds like without the goggle problem you would have made the podium. I think just working sprint races is a good strategy. With the shorter distance you can race often without the post-race recovery needed from an Olympic. Plus, just racing more helps your conditioning while getting you really comfortable with race conditions, pre-race jitters, night before planning, in-race strategy, etc. The other key benefit is the training times required are about half that of Olympic. So, if you're time pressed, the Sprint distance allows you to race well but with significantly fewer training hours each week.

Good work.

Steve
2013-07-22 8:47 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Bull

Ran the Triangle Triathlon yesterday. Result: not too good, but I did finish! I puales a calf muscle last Monday and had considered pulling out of this race. But since I had already paid, I decided to at least go and do the swim, maybe the bike ride and scratch the run. That was the plan, did the swim, better than I usually do and not anywhere near as tired as usual (been working on efficiency in my strokes), so I decided to do the bike ride, bike ride went ok, no pain actually little better times than I expected on a somewhat hilly course (I live in flatlands so I don't get much opportunity to do hills). Finished the bike ride, no pain feeling good, a little tired, 90 degrees but I had been hydrating no concern. The side of my brain that thinks logically told me to stop while I was ahead. The side that tends to run my life said what the hell, you're feeling ok, no pain, go for it. So had some water and some Hammer Gel and started the run. First mile ok, not setting any records because I wanted to take it easy at the two mile mark, my leg started hurting. Now at this point I could have stopped because this is only a hundred yards or so from the start/finish line. Did I do the obvious thing? No, I thought to myself not hurting too bad, keep on going, i've never ever not finished a race I've started, so the turn I made. With each tep the pain kept getting worse, but I had decided to run, I intended to run. At the 2.5 mile turn for the half mile back to the finish line, I could no longer run. For the first time in my life, I limped in the last half mile or so to the finish line, it was so disappointing to see one person after the next pass me by. I managed to put it together a little so I could at least be running at the finish line. End result, dead last in my AG, worst run time ever, went from having a decent Tri, to one of the worst performances I ever had. Lesson learned, ( probably not), I will go with my gut instincts the next time. On a positive note, the calf doesn't seem to be too bad this morn, a little sore. My next Tri is the NC State Triathlon championships in Greensboro, August 31st.

Yikes. Tough day...once the competitive juice gets going, it's really hard to stop, even when injured. I think the key now is to make sure you're fully healed before running again...and then to start very slowly and quit BEFORE any pain starts. Longer warm up periods and stretching will be important as well. But the good news is you've got five weeks until you race again. So, if you need two+ weeks of recovery, no worries. You can maintain your cardio fitness with extra swimming and biking and jump back into the runs when your calf is ready.

Hang in there!

Steve

2013-07-22 8:55 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Originally posted by dustytrails

72 degrees here. brrr

The running right after getting off the bike has been a little hard for me. Does anyone one have any tips or is it something you just have to practice and get used to?

I've never gotten used to it. While the tightness off the bike no longer destroys me mentally (Oh my freaking gawd, I'm going just walk this course) it is always tough. Even now, poor mental control still creeps in ("this is really hard," etc.) I've pretty much learned that the first couple of miles will be challenging but gets better the longer I run.

I think bricks are good, even short ones. It's really hard to have the training discipline--and time--to do a short run after a bike workout. But if you're struggling with the transition to the run, a weekly session of running off the bike might be helpful. Even an easy 15 minute light run following one of your bike workouts once a week would help.

Steve
2013-07-22 9:12 AM

User image

Regular

My take away from this weekend is that I need to train harder and smarter.  I had a good time, but a good time is probably not going to get me to Kona.  I think the biggest take away was that I no longer HATE running.  Maybe I am still not a runner, but at least running and I are now having civilized conversations so there is hope for the future.

Race report if anyone wants to read about an absolute novice's first 5K -http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?raceid=246870

Congratulations, Scott. You've got a good start and can now start planning for future training and racing. I like your key takeaway of "I no longer hate running." That's half the battle right there. A few good things to focus on:

1) The biggest performance improvements in terms of dropping your running times occur relatively quickly as you get better condition. It's another way of saying that it's reasonable to expect go from a 17 minute mile to 12 minute mile (dropping 15 minutes off your 5K) in a year by concentrating on consistent training (each run with a purpose) and really sound nutrition.

2) As a top athlete--even in your past--you clearly possess outstanding aerobic capacity and training discipline. I think you'll continue to leverage those natural gifts as you advance your fitness.

3) Running will continue to get better for you as your weight drops. My prediction is a year from now you'll run another 5k and destroy the time you recorded this weekend.

Nice job.

Steve
2013-07-22 9:12 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Chelan Man Olympic
Hi all:

From reading all the posts, it looks like it was a strong Gray guy/girl weekend out there. Congratulations to everyone who crossed a finish line this weekend!

I had a very good race at ChelanMan. Out of the 400+ finishers in the race I was 15th overall and 1st in my age group. But I'm really stoked about my bike time. The course is quite hilly and I managed a 22.9 mph average, the 13th best overall bike time.

Of course, I paid the price for pushing hard on the bike during the run. The first three miles were just plain hard. It was quite warm so I walked through the two aid stations to get extra water and gatorade. The run was a straight out/back course, so when I turned around at the halfway point I started the lap timer on my watch. I saw the other competitive guy in my age group (who beat me by 7 minutes last year) at 36 seconds. So I knew since it was an out/back course I had a 72 second lead on him. The thought of being caught at the finish line gave me something to focus on (besides how crappy running feels in hot weather at the end of a triathlon) so I picked up the pace and finished about 45 seconds ahead of him.

Like Charlotte, my race was almost wrecked at the start by a goggle strap (learn from our mistakes!). Since I was in the fourth and final wave of the triathlon I had been out swimming to warm up and my goggles were fine. The race director finally gives the "two minute" announcement that my wave can wade in to the water. I was over at the edge and I see that one of the volunteer life guards is my swim coach! So I start talking with her to kill the last couple of minutes. The "30 second" announcement goes out, so I reach up to put my goggles into place and "snap", broken strap. Less than 30 seconds and I've got no goggles! My coach who is guarding sees this happen because she is out in the water as well to observe the racers at the start. She pulls off her goggles, throws them to me, and I pull them into place as the horn goes off and start swimming. It was far from perfect but she totally saved my race. So I owe her big time!

All in all it was a very fun day. Compared to last year, my swim time was about dead even. I'm disappointed with that, but it was largely due to the goggles which fogged immediately. I had to keep stopping to check my sighting. But it was a much better solution than running all the way back to transition for my spare goggles. I knocked about 8 minutes off my bike time from last year. My run was also almost the same time as last year. My overall placement went from 33rd to 15th.

Next race for me is Age Group Nationals in Milwaukee in three weeks. I'm just doing the sprint race there. Prediction: I will get my fanny kicked as there are some really strong athletes there. My goal in Milwaukee is a top 20 AG out of 80 which I think is doable. So, for me it's two more weeks of speed focus leading into a taper week.

Have fun out there!

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2013-07-22 9:53 AM
2013-07-22 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4724413

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Subject: RE: Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED
Steve,
Hopefully I've learned my lesson. I was fortunate my stupid stunt didn't cause more damage.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37