BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-03-22 4:23 AM
in reply to: #732620

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but you can still sneak in...
Robb - 2007-03-21 11:41 PM

What vitamins/supplements does everyone take? Every time I go into that section at the store theres like 9890381293 things to take and I have no idea whats what. I very rarely get sick and have a fairly good diet, but could always be better.

Right now I take a daily multi-vitamin and the occasional B12 at work if I am super tired (don't like caffeine). So what does everyone else pop these days?

Basic multivitamin if/when I remember to take it. There's a whole industry devoted to sports-based supplements, but I have no personal experience with them.

And how can you not like caffeine? Sheesh, I depend on the stuff!

2007-03-22 5:31 AM
in reply to: #732686

User image

hey guys the rock has been back at the swimming again! i swam 1800 meters today 1.118 miles i think... didnt set any record time but i just kept on going and going... quiet stiff now but i did it! i am the greatest ever!!!

cheers
malphh
2007-03-22 7:09 AM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Expert
What a great way to start my day, reading all your wonderful posts! Thanks guys! I love starting the day out with a deep belly laugh. My kids are always like "what's so funny, mom? Tell us!".

Guess I do get a bit manic......yeesh, do ya think I need a diagnosis and meds? Or is it just post exercise euphoria and my adrenals finally sort of working halfway decent? I was very very low for a long time with my health--I think I'm just on a high that you get when you realize how GOOD it is to not be sick anymore. (Or not too sick, depending on how you look at it) I'd rather think of myself as enthusiastic.....However I did have one fellow that said I was like Forrest Gump when he's on his boat and he sees Lt. Dan on the docks and he screams his name and jumps right into the water to go greet him......I wasn't too thrilled with the comparison, but maybe he was a little bit right about me?

A modern day prophet, huh? Well, Rob, keep up the sweet talk! I like that better than the Forrest label! I'm confused about supplements myself. Swallowed $6000 worth of them when my adrenals quit--I dropped my health insurance at the time and put all those premiums into natural stuff (most of which tasted like yellowbike) for about a year and a half. Then I settled on the Xango juice, which is extremely high in antioxidants and was adopted by the American Cancer Association as an anti-cancer agent (my dad died of a brain tumor). I'd still be doing the supplements rather than insurance deal, but the court ordered me to have it in the divorce proceedings. So, now I'm taking the Co-Q, Emergen-C, Microlyn (acidophilus and colostrum) and the Xango and that's it. I like Ginseng, and it is an adaptogen--helps your body adapt to stress. Sort of a nice general strengthening herb. And Gotu-kola and Gingko are excellent for the brain--I would take them in college before exams and could actually feel the brain tingle! But, you are young and healthy, so just keep up the great work and go with whatever your gut tells you to take.

Cateyes and trainers---don't ask me, my devices all eventually fell off. Of course, I jimmy rigged them myself and they don't fit on the back wheel too well, so what did I expect? Then I tried the pedometer on the back of the biking shorts deal, but I now question if it was accurate! My new bike has the computer on the front wheel because they were completely out of the cadence ones and the ones that would extend to the back wheel. So, because I have to measure everything, I'm itching to get the bike outside, rather than guess on the trainer. And of course it's been in the 20's and RAINING here! So, gals, hang in there and get em out on the road soon!! For now, just enjoy being on a bike with a bunch of resistance and tell yourself you are doing the power training! Feel those quads bulging

Mike--great job on the race for a cause! Why did you pick it? Usually a person has a personal interest in causes. I'm just curious is all....I'm doing a 5K April 14, and it is a child abuse prevention race--that's why I picked it. (I didn't have the very best childhood).

Prof--glad to hear I can rest on my laurels a bit and then get back on it without having to work this hard again! So, tell us more about the liberty race--do you run it or is part of it swimming and biking? I put doing Ragbrai (bike ride across Iowa) on my list awhile back. Will have to build up to it. Glad to know there's always something MORE to do!

Malph--you swam more than a MILE??? Holy Crap! You may be half ironman material already! Watch out for Kali............you are getting close now!!

Everyone else---sorry if I weird you out, but I'm thinking of you all and hope you are all well! Keep on going! We are all over the hardest part, I think

I said some time ago that you are all welcome to crash at my place for a team reunion--I meant that! Or, maybe we should all agree to meet at a certain tri somewhere.....I have August completely open right now.....any ideas?
2007-03-22 7:17 AM

User image

Minneapolis
day four, I have not worked out in four days, never mind that I worked out the 2 months before that. I feel like emotional yellow bike but physically I feel okay. Maybe a littel sluggish but sleep feels good. I had to make peace with my mind and body, they are always figthing- right now mind (who wants to sleep) has beat up body (who wants to workout), Usually body wins so I should not be shocked that the mind is getting some good hits in.

I need the rest ( or I am doing a great job of lying to myself which I have donev before). I will teach and swim tommorow and this weekend I will bike one day and run one day. It is so hard when it is not light outside until later in the morning (I could go workout inside but once you have been out there, being inside seems like punishment) and once I get trapped at work, it is hard to leave. It suckes to work in a fitness center and not be able to motoviate yourself to do fitness. I also need to create a training plan for the next 5 weeks until my indoor tri!

Okay I need some motoviation, ideas and good vibes to get me off my behind and moving- give me what you got cause I need it all. ps I can not spell or type well. Sorry for errors, it is better to work with me and not against me on this one.
BGT
2007-03-22 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Quiana, cut yourself a break here, girl! Didn't you read SEAN's analysis of you, "What the hell are you on?". That pretty much sums it up! You TEACH swim, you train for tri's and running races, you SURVIVE life in the city (which takes it's toll on your nervous system!), and you are trying to bring forth LIFE! You just crossed a major threshold, the 8K and did better than you thought! And now you just needed a breather to prepare for the tri in 5 weeks. So, you've taken the breather (well done) and now you just need to have a little heart to heart with your Saboteur. We all have one inside. He's the one who plays with your head and tells you it's okay to eat just one more little girl scout cookie (or the whole sleeve for breakfast), and the one who tells you to just skip that bike ride today, etc. My Saboteur made me take two days off of recording what I ate (and justified it by saying it was that time of the month and so I should let myself eat pancakes and spaghetti for breakfast). My saboteur also has a nasty habit of spending more money on this stuff than I can really truly afford, too. So, Kali is whipping my redbike this week financially!!! So, I just have to forgive myself and MOVE ON! I'm thinking of hooking Kali and Saboteur up so they can go off to Maui together and leave me in peace for a month or so.........
2007-03-22 9:41 AM

User image

Minneapolis
Phoneix- you are right. Question, i keep seeig refrences to Kali, tell me more I missed that psot. Quiana

2007-03-22 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Well, Kali is the Hindu Goddess of chaos and change. I don't know the origin of her, but she rears her rather ugly head at times in your life to kick you in the redbike, or challenge you--"do you REALLY want to do this?". "Just HOW BAD do you want it?" I drew her card when contemplating what to tell Brian, the Colorado guy who ended up finding out he was going to be a father! Yep, that's Kali! Chaos and change You just have to learn to love her when she shows up. She teaches you to have a back bone. My ex used to say I was the "spineless chiropractor". He was actually right! NOT ANY MORE!!!! I can't wait to show him just how strong I've gotten when he comes to visit the kids over Easter! Hah! Now who's the flabby one?! I'm actually more fit and athletic than he is now--and he was the Olympic quality biker dude! Kali sort of brings out the bloodthirsty desire for vengeance (at least I'm blaming it on her)
2007-03-22 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
According to my driver in India, Kali (in her incarnation as the goddess of destruction and annihilation), is the goddess of traffic and driving!

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaliif you want to be none the wiser!

BTW well done on the 8k AND recognising that you needed to take a break. If you look at all the training plans on this site and others, they all factor in rest days and slow weeks simply becasue that's what you need. Think half term holidays from school, vacations from work, rest stops when driving. It's logical that you will need to throttle back a little especially when you drive yourself as hard as you do. The trick is to factor them in yourself but that is maybe for next time.

Malphh, you swam as much today as I am supposed to swim in a week! Respect is due. Well done.

Prof, it's good to see your posts again.

Is it time for another challenge? Someone get inventive. I have an idea but it involves three people, a tennis racket and a jar of peanut butter.

On the supplements thing, I used to take so many I rattled when I walked. I have now cut down following a bizarre conversation on the MTR in Hong Kong when the proverbial old Chinese guy told me to drink green tea instead of normal tea. I would like to paint a picture of him as a Chinese mystic who disappeared in a puff of smoke after he uttered these words to me but he was actually the sales director of a printing firm I was meeting. Anyhow, I gave up coffee, tea and all the vitamins and not only has my eczema gone but so has my asthma. Result or what. Incidentally, for all you caffeine junkies, green tea is laced with the stuff.

I occasionally have a vitamin supplement and even less occasionally hit my five a day fruit and veg. Buckets of water, green tea and I'm currently trying to kick the old alcohol into touch having given up smoking two months, 9 days ago. Not that I'm counting.
2007-03-22 10:30 AM
in reply to: #732997

User image

I have a favorite supplement and its called caffeine....Couldnt live without it! In fact im having the best soy latte ever right now. Seriously, I do love my caffeine and it does seem to help me have a great workout or race sometimes but I realize I need more than that. Its interesting robb asked about supplements because for years I have been trying to get myself to remember to take just a multivitamin and havent been able to keep up the habit. Just a few weeks ago though, i decided to try taking Omega 3's and Vitamin C everyday and so far Im doing pretty good. Being in medicine, Im naturally skeptical of anything that promises a cure-all. I generally feel we should all try and get most of our vit's and minerals by ingesting them in food, our bodies do best with that process (remember the 5 fruits and vegetable challenge??) However, after reading all the studies I decided there was definitnely enuff evidence that Omega 3's are really good for your heart and for general inflammation in your body. It is advised that athletes take them for the anti-inflammatory benefits and post workout repair, and since Ive had lots of injuries lately, I decided I would try it. And vitamin C has tons of evidence in its favor for many benefits, of course boosting my immune system and fighting cancerous oxidants are my reasons. I also think I SHOULD be taking a multivitamin and Calcium but havent got the hang of those yet. Ill keep trying. Every woman should be taking Calcium, of course, and it probably doenst hurt for men to look at their diets and get some calcium in too. I really have seen way too many broken hips in the ER.

ABout the bike trainer, I think its just the way they are. I dropped the gears on my bike so I could spin faster and yes, its still slower than what I can do on the road but my RPM's were up as high so I decided it was Ok. However, I still hate riding on it. I havent been on it all week!

Quiana- I completely support your 4 days off thing! Its SOOO Hard though to accept it if you have been superwoman for so long. Your body tells you when its time to rest. I havent ran in over a week becuz of this injury and I literally lay in bed at night worrying about the fact Im loosing my running endurance and that Im going to gain weight all of the sudden. I realized I had been running religiously 3-4x week since the beginning of last summer! (Except for the 1 week after my half-marathon) The only thing that reassures me is 1) If I built it up before, I can build it up again and 2) I havent gained weight yet. and 3)My leg actually feels better so I know its good for me.
Keep up the good work with swimming you guys! Its probably one of the most technical parts of a tri and I admire all the effort everyone is putting into it. I want everyone to love swimming as much as I do ! I know, it wont happen for everyone, but I guess I at least dont want people to hate it. Its the most gentle part of the race!
2007-03-22 3:02 PM

User image

Expert
Hey guess what?? My swim teacher graduated me, saying my form looks good (gasp!) and now I just have to work on endurance Never thought it would happen to me, but I guess I'm officially a swimmer!! Now I'll get Carlos back on board, because I just have a feeling he'll push me--HARD--and I need that right now. Ironman 2009, here I come!!!
2007-03-22 3:24 PM
in reply to: #733583

User image

Tennessee

Awesome - congratulations!!!  I have been thinking I should take lessons - I haven't done it since I was a kid - figured since I could move from one place to another without drowning that was good enuf - but if I am going to attempt these distances, I really need to be more efficient, esp. with breathing. 

You feel it was well worth it, obviously - good to know.  Again, congrats!  Way to work!

2007-03-22 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
Yes, I would strongly recommend lessons because it is very difficult to tell much about how you are doing with form while you are swimming unless you have a camera. Apparently the form is everything. Speed and endurance follow once your form is down. That's why I'm taking the running seminar this Saturday--to get someone's 2 cents worth on my (lack of) form. I'll let you all know if I think it's worth it. But knowing myself like I do, it will if nothing else give me the confidence that I took lessons, and so can graduate to calling myself a runner.

Took the bike out this afternoon for a really tiny ride. Only wiped out twice. Learning curve with clips and skinny tires I wore jeans because I knew that would happen! My kids were amused (and concerned), but it was fun. I felt like I was learning all over again how to ride a bike--different handlebars and everything. Has to get easier from here, right? CMCKEE--feel free to use the knee and elbow pads the first few times Maybe hip pads, too!
2007-03-22 5:17 PM
in reply to: #733667

User image

Tennessee

Phoenix - thanx for the advice - I will follow up.  Good luck with the running clinic - I want to hear how that goes.

If you are wiping out, maybe I should consider splints as well - hip pads, hmmm...maybe I shoulda hung onto my natural ones....lol.

2007-03-22 9:06 PM

Veteran
Heh Phene- -is that the Chi running clinic you'll be attending???

- well gang- the warmer weather is approaching. Plan is to do my long..... run tomorrow- (can't do Sat with my running group- so its gonna just me- and my MP3-...

- and if the weather is nice (ie above freezing, no snow on the ground, a bit of sun- (right Robb!!) plan is to get out on the bike- and try- for the first time- the bike with my shoes/ clips. Have been using the cages for the last 4 yrs. So this shall be interesting. I think my husband is calling to increase my life insurance- ha ha-

-Helen
2007-03-22 10:29 PM
in reply to: #734027

Veteran
Ontario
I know I love this weather! I started riding my bike to work now. With all the lights I have to go through its actually FASTER to bike. I love it.

And good luck with the clipless! I am still on the flat peddles myself, as I am usually on trails and don't feel very comfortable being straped to a bike while I am 6in from falling off a cliff into a lake lol.

I recommend practicing a couple times on grass but I hear you get used to it really quick (and never want to go back)

Well tonight is the night of my 5k run. 3.1 miles. I am going to try and keep a 6.1km pace too so that I finish in 1/2 hour. I'll post back with how it goes lol.
2007-03-22 10:45 PM

User image

Expert
I just can't imagine having energy to run at this time of night! I feel like making night owl noises at you, Rob! Well done with that, though. You are faster than me!

I can now change a flat tire on my bike! Actually practiced with a real tire tonight. It's not that hard. They have a 5 week women's series each Thursday now, and it is all free The kids are all in swim lessons now, and loving it! They were happy with a six pack and a pound from Taco John's for supper and we didn't hit the deer OR the skunk on the way home tonight!

I'm rather banged up from the bike incidents, but I'm happy with the progress today. The girl I had to babysit the kids Saturday backed out tonight, so I get to scramble with that tomorrow so I can attend that Chi running seminar that I paid quite a bit of money for. Kali........must be it's a really important event for me, cause she's testing me on it!!! Wonder what would happen if I showed up with my three rugrats at the seminar???? Spose we could just run them ragged and hope they take a nap or something......I guess one way or another I'm going!!!

2007-03-23 5:04 AM
in reply to: #732729

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-03-22 8:17 AM

It is so hard when it is not light outside until later in the morning (I could go workout inside but once you have been out there, being inside seems like punishment) and once I get trapped at work, it is hard to leave.
BGT

Exactly!

2007-03-23 5:12 AM
in reply to: #734027

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
HelenR - 2007-03-22 10:06 PM

plan is to get out on the bike- and try- for the first time- the bike with my shoes/ clips.
-Helen

Everyone falls. And if you somehow make it through today without doing so, don't get too cocky, because your day will come. Let us know how you did!

2007-03-23 5:13 AM
in reply to: #734177

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
prof40 - 2007-03-23 11:04 AM

BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-03-22 8:17 AM

It is so hard when it is not light outside until later in the morning (I could go workout inside but once you have been out there, being inside seems like punishment) and once I get trapped at work, it is hard to leave.
BGT

Exactly!

I get trapped at work. I now set an alarm on my desk and leave when it goes off. Everyone laughs at it but I am out of the door at 5.30 come what may!
2007-03-23 5:17 AM
in reply to: #734179

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
prof40 - 2007-03-23 11:12 AM

HelenR - 2007-03-22 10:06 PM

plan is to get out on the bike- and try- for the first time- the bike with my shoes/ clips.
-Helen

Everyone falls. And if you somehow make it through today without doing so, don't get too cocky, because your day will come. Let us know how you did!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-1544014740142688923&q=cy...

Don't do this when riding with clips. Satan's mother converted me to clips. She is nearly 70 and rides to our house in France every year. It is about 850 miles and she reckions to fall off at least twice on the way. BTW, it is more embarasing than painful as it always happens at traffic lights etc!
2007-03-23 5:21 AM

User image

well since every1 is shy and nervous i will start things off my names clint and im addicted to training... THere i said it!!! hahaha im giving a night of boozing up tonight because i want a hardcore training session tommoorw morn before our footy break up..... what have i become!

p.s the result of my swimming has left me with the sorest of sore glutes to put it nicely or red bike not so nicely!

have a good 1 all

2007-03-23 5:36 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Well, it looks like we're all congregating and reading over each other's shoulders this morning. But it's time for me to go. Keeping fingers crossed for a solid uninterrupted morning where I can just push myself. The body and mind need some exertion today, and with it being Friday, I'd like to accomplish an early morning calorie purge to offset what I know will come my way this evening.

Malphh, nice job on the swim. Have you felt it in the forearms too? Sometimes I do. Or I'll get a brush burn on the back of the neck, where my hair and swim cap will rub. Kind of looks like 2 hickies. Endured some suspicious looks from the Mrs. until I showed her that it happened on a fairly consistent basis when I wore this one silicone cap.

As for you, Mark, I'm assuming you're a partner in your firm, or a seriously lame associate. Don't all you solicitor types worship the billable hour? Or does that culture of pale-skinned hungy looking associates who haven't eaten or left their offices in days exist only here in the US firms?

Have a good weekend. Train right, and post your numbers on Sunday. And Mark, since you suggested it, pick a challenge for us to do next week.
2007-03-23 5:41 AM
in reply to: #734188

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
prof40 - 2007-03-23 11:36 AM

As for you, Mark, I'm assuming you're a partner in your firm, or a seriously lame associate. Don't all you solicitor types worship the billable hour? Or does that culture of pale-skinned hungy looking associates who haven't eaten or left their offices in days exist only here in the US firms?

Hehehe

I work in industry which means that I am surrounded by people who have absolutely no idea what lawyers do! As I head up my department I sit comforatbly on the shoulders of several people whom I hired for their brilliance, lack of ambition and willingness to do my work for me. When my careers advisor asked me what I wanted to do after school I said as little as possible and, by God, I think I have acheived it!

Every peg finds its hole.
2007-03-23 6:43 AM

User image

Expert
Oh, great, Mark--now I'm terrified to ride Persephone in traffic! Don't care what happens to ME, mind you, but I don't want my baby scratched That was quite the video! What kind of 70 year old lady rides a bike every year 850 miles? Man! I think you should date Satan's MOTHER!!!
2007-03-23 7:00 AM
in reply to: #734203

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
phoenixrising404 - 2007-03-23 12:43 PM

Oh, great, Mark--now I'm terrified to ride Persephone in traffic! Don't care what happens to ME, mind you, but I don't want my baby scratched That was quite the video! What kind of 70 year old lady rides a bike every year 850 miles? Man! I think you should date Satan's MOTHER!!!

Don't worry about riding Persephone in traffic, just don't stop at the lights!

As for dating Satan's mother, I know that in England we do tend to be a bit behind the times but I'm pretty sure that outside of certain remote Amazonian tribes (and Wales) that practice is frowned upon!

PS She rides it back as well. Last year Satan's Mother and Father cycled to our place in France, and back and her sister cycled from Greece back to her house in Leeds taking in Serbia, Croatia and Albania on the way. A distance of just short of 2000 miles. The whole bloody family is nuts!

Satan, however, drives to the stables which you can actually see from the house but that is no indicator of sanity.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72