Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 42

2007-07-26 12:45 PM
in reply to: #902437

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: triOK's Group - CLOSED

It is a regular term!!  Now start using it.  Your friends will know that you are cool.  :P

Hair:  I've seen women basically twirl it around and put it under their swim cap.  when the cap come off, their hair come down.  I think the single braid thing would work better because now it's now all over the place.  Look at pictures from other tri's online and check out women's hair during the run. 

Swim caps serve 2 purposes.  One is to tell what wave you are in.  Two is to see you in the water.  Easier to spot a colored cap in the water.

Food/Eating:  You want to eat something abut 1.5 - 2 hrs prior to.  So I would recommend eating your normal breakfast and then a banana about 20 min before.  Ideally, I would take a gel as you walk over to the swim start.  You have 3 days to see how your body reacts to gels, so try them now!  During the bike leg, you can eat a cliff bar if that's what you have been training with.  But again, a gel would be easier and would digest much faster. (Only if you try them NOW and before your race)

Clothing:  You're a sexy woman!!  Race with your curves.  If I was there, I'd cheer you and your bit o'cleavage.  Seriously, Tri clothing is functional and it works.  You're going to feel smooth and fast.

Bike Gloves:  Don't wear them.  It's a sprint and you'll be fine.  One less thing to worry about.

Thurs/Fri:  The hay is in the barn.  Nothing you do before the race will get you into any better shape.  So what you do is this:  Today (Thurs), go for and easy bike or run.  As part of the bike or run, do like 10 accererations to race pace with full recovery inbetween.  The acceleration shouldn't be more than 30 seconds.  You're just getting the legs primed. 
Friday:  Do 10 - 15 min in each sport nice and easy.  Ideally back to back.  That way you have checked your gear and you feel confident.
Sat:  Kick some serious Butt!!  and become SuperMom (not that you're not super Mom right now)

Very important:  When you get your transition set up...walk away.  Go to the swim entrance into T1.  Jog over to your transition spot, paying attention to where it is.  Then touch everything that you will need for T1.  Jog to the bike start and look at the mount line.  Jog back to your transition spot and touch everything you need for the run.  Jog out and stay out until it's race time.

2007-07-26 12:53 PM
in reply to: #902437

User image

Medusa_Ann - 2007-07-26 11:36 AM Hi gang....love the term 'courtesy shorts'....I will bet that takes off and becomes a regular term! Now...off the shorts topic for a sec.... My first tri is Saturday! I think I am all ready with my gear and all that, especially since I had to buy all new bike bag stuff after losing mine on my last ride. Even bought a race belt. Bike is tuned up. My questions: (some may be kind of goofy) --What do you do with your hair? I am not really used to swimming caps--do you put it in a ponytail and put that up in the cap and just leave it that way for the bike and run? --Food/eating: My plan is to leave home about 6:15 to get to the race at 7:15. My race isn't until 9:30, so I will have my usual smoothie and 2 cups of coffee, plus water, before I get there. Should I eat something closer to race time? Any ideas? I am thinking either a banana, or a clif bar or something like that. I have some gels but have not ever had any--so I am guessing during the bike leg isn't the time to have one for the first time. --Clothing: I have tri shorts and a tri top which I am planning to wear. Should I throw on a top over my tri top for the bike and run to be more modest, as the tri top shows a bit o'cleavage? Or just let it all hang out and celebrate the curves? --Bike gloves: Since it's a sprint I am not going to wear my gloves. Good choice? --Thurs/Fri: I was originally planning a ride or swim this morning but that didn't happen due to very sick kids (see log). What should I do between now and Saturday to be in top form? Weather is good, thankfully! I appreciate all your input! Can't believe this tri is here already. If I can just keep myself healthy, as my kids are little germ factories this week.

Ok, Leslie.. first thing; relax.  You've trained hard and will do great.  Second thing:  NOTHING new on race day.  Do everything exactly as you have practiced.

Hair:  If it is an OWS, they will give you a swim cap that you MUST wear.  Its so that they can see you in the water in case something happens.  I ponytail mine, swim cap on, and then take it off for the bike/run.  My hair is really curly so by the time I get to the run, I look like a wet dog.  But who cares?  Its a race, not a beauty contest.

Food:  Eat something about a half hour before the race starts... (this is my opinion only since I have a pretty sturdy tummy).  Gatorade/powerade/whatever after that.  Since it is just a sprint you shouldn't need a gel.

Clothes:  Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable.  This is YOUR race, girl.  You do whatever you need to do to have fun.

Bike gloves:  don't wear them... you won't need them.

Taper:  Rest.  At this point, you are as fit as you are going to be on race day.  Rest will do you more good than any workout you can do in the next day or two.

2007-07-26 1:01 PM
in reply to: #902565

User image

Marvarnett - 2007-07-26 12:45 PM

If I was there, I'd cheer you and your bit o'cleavage. 

We expect nothing less of you, Dan.

Great advice, as usual, you perv. 

2007-07-26 2:00 PM
in reply to: #902604

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
triOK - 2007-07-26 2:01 PM

I'm not a perv...I just observe closely!

2007-07-26 2:08 PM
in reply to: #902738

User image

Marvarnett - 2007-07-26 2:00 PM
triOK - 2007-07-26 2:01 PM

I'm not a perv...I just observe closely!

LMAO!!!

2007-07-26 2:47 PM
in reply to: #804244

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

Re: Medusa Ann

I've only done one Tri but here's my thoughts...

1. Hair: I pony tailed the top half of my hair and just tucked the rest in (my hair is too short for it all to be up at once.) Obviously, I popped on my helmet for the ride, then popped on a baseball cap for the run.

2.Nutrition: I had trouble with this for my race. There is an article on BT that addresses pacing and nutrition on race day for both beginners and intermediate athletes and I think if I had followed it more exactly I wouldn't have had the problems I did later in the race. Basically it said regular breakfast a couple of hours before the race, a gel 15min before the swim (BUT, the other are right, you should try the gels before the race. I understand that some people have digestive problems after taking them.). Then it said you should have gatorade or the like on your bike and then one more gel a couple of miles before you end the bike and start the run. (I didn't have the gatorade or the second gel and my calved cramped up during the run.)

3. I don't use bike gloves at all, so I didn't notice any difference not using them in the race. Maybe it only matters for longer distances.

4. Trisuit: I am also a curvy girl. I felt comfortable in just the trisuit, although I did wear a sportsbra underneath for a little extra support.

That's all I have for you for advice. You've been working so hard; I know you'll kick butt at the race!!! Good luck!

Edited by kriscrn 2007-07-26 2:47 PM

2007-07-26 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
<<4. Trisuit: I am also a curvy girl. I felt comfortable in just the trisuit, although I did wear a sportsbra underneath for a little extra support.>>

Of course I will have a sports bra on, too! If I could get away with two or three of them, I would! Luckily the tri top provides extra support.

Dan, I always joke that I have cleavage even in a turtleneck....so there!

I really appreciate all the words of wisdom. I am feeling so confident about doing this, and all of you on this mentoring board have been awesome!

--Leslie
2007-07-26 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
I have a quick question about gels.  I tried a Hammer gel in practice a month or so ago, and it worked well, so I figured I'd get another one to use in my race.  I went out today to buy one, but none of the stores I tried had individual packets of Hammer gel.  I figured all brands are probably pretty much the same, so I ended up getting Carb Boom instead.  Do you think I'm safe using a different brand in the race?  Or should I try it before the race?  I wasn't planning on doing anymore workouts between now then.  Would it be pointless to try it without actually doing a workout?
2007-07-26 3:22 PM
in reply to: #902912

User image

erjellum - 2007-07-26 3:17 PM I have a quick question about gels.  I tried a Hammer gel in practice a month or so ago, and it worked well, so I figured I'd get another one to use in my race.  I went out today to buy one, but none of the stores I tried had individual packets of Hammer gel.  I figured all brands are probably pretty much the same, so I ended up getting Carb Boom instead.  Do you think I'm safe using a different brand in the race?  Or should I try it before the race?  I wasn't planning on doing anymore workouts between now then.  Would it be pointless to try it without actually doing a workout?

Ummm... well.... I personally don't have issues with ANY gels.  But I have heard that some people have issues with certain types of gels, particularly Carbboom.  What kind did you get?  I use Carbboom and the banana peach ones (or whatever they are) are REALLY thick but the Vanilla Orange and the Apple Cinnamon are really watery.  Those are my two fav's...

My advice... try it out and go for a little jog to see how your tummy does.  You'll be out a whole $1.25.

2007-07-26 3:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Is a sprint really long enough to justify eating a gel? Can't you just get by on gatoraid?

I can't really have much in my stomach when I run...not even liquid. I plan on tanking up on water at the beginning of the bike and then not drinking/ eating until I'm done.

I get sick otherwise.

Edited by grnidone 2007-07-26 3:39 PM
2007-07-26 3:45 PM
in reply to: #902944

User image

Veteran
Virginia

grnidone - 2007-07-26 4:35 PM Is a sprint really long enough to justify eating a gel? Can't you just get by on gatoraid?

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with a gel for a sprint, but this is for an Oly.

Robyn, I got vanilla and strawberry kiwi.  I guess I'll try and figure out a time to try one. 

Thanks for the advice! 

2007-07-26 3:50 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I use Carb Boom whenever I'm going out for over an hour or am going to do a brick and haven't had any problems at all.  I've used the apple cinnamon and the vanilla orange (this one has caffeine).  I make sure I take plenty of water with them.

I'm planning on using one during the sprints because it won't do any harm, and I think I'll be better at keeping one of those down than an extra bit of food.

2007-07-26 3:54 PM
in reply to: #902965

User image

erjellum - 2007-07-26 3:45 PM

grnidone - 2007-07-26 4:35 PM Is a sprint really long enough to justify eating a gel? Can't you just get by on gatoraid?

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with a gel for a sprint, but this is for an Oly.

Robyn, I got vanilla and strawberry kiwi.  I guess I'll try and figure out a time to try one. 

Thanks for the advice! 

Oh!  For an Oly, yes, you'll need them.  One before the race starts, one when you start the bike, and maybe one before the run.

I think Dan gels even more than that....

Edited by triOK 2007-07-26 3:55 PM
2007-07-26 4:09 PM
in reply to: #902987

User image

Veteran
Virginia
triOK - 2007-07-26 4:54 PM

Oh! For an Oly, yes, you'll need them. One before the race starts, one when you start the bike, and maybe one before the run.

Wow, I was just planning on one before the bike.

2007-07-26 4:10 PM
in reply to: #903018

User image

erjellum - 2007-07-26 4:09 PM
triOK - 2007-07-26 4:54 PM

Oh! For an Oly, yes, you'll need them. One before the race starts, one when you start the bike, and maybe one before the run.

Wow, I was just planning on one before the bike.

IMO, the caffeine helps...

2007-07-26 4:30 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Here's a little exerpt from the article by Mike Ricci on running an Olympic:

• Breakfast 3 hours prior to wave send off
  • 1 gel prior to swim 15 minutes before
  • 2 bottles on bike - 1 w/at least 300 calories and one bottle of water
    1 gel with 3 miles to go on bike
  • Water or Gatorade at every run aid station - take something! - and 1 gel at about 3 miles, before the first aid station so you can wash it down.

I saw lots of gels on the bikes a couple weeks ago when I was working the aid station - interesting that they tended to be on the bikes of the people towards the front.  (The course was a double loop, so the station was at mile 6 and 18).

2007-07-26 4:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Does how hot it is mean you need more gels? Do you go through the carbs when you sweat more? I'm guessing yes???
2007-07-26 5:11 PM
in reply to: #903021

User image

Expert
You guys are on fire. I just got back from Albany chasing a rapist. Let me catch up
2007-07-26 7:33 PM
in reply to: #903084

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
gator22 - 2007-07-26 5:11 PM

You guys are on fire. I just got back from Albany chasing a rapist. Let me catch up

Yeah, DANG, my inbox was FULL! I just read the thread and here's my two cents on gels. If they are too thick and you forget to take them with water, you kind of do the "hairball" cough..or at least I do! Whatever version you like, make sure to take them with plenty of water! Oh, and power bars, although incredibly nasty, stick to the top bar of your bike really well. I cut one into little strips and stuck the strips to the upper bar (actually to the number flap that was fastened to my bike at that spot) and snacked/gagged on them through my 40 K bike ride. I am sure it was more pleasant to see me trying not to puke on my bike than any of you in your bike shorts with freshly shaved legs!!

Leslie,
Tear it up!!!
2007-07-26 7:38 PM
in reply to: #902133

User image

Expert
triOK - 2007-07-26 9:11 AM
Marvarnett - 2007-07-26 7:32 AM

Come on Gator...you know you're sexy!!

Yeah, Kirk... you big, studly man, you...

I am blushing....I just purchased a black/white Reebok dri fit sleeves t-shirt to wear with the black tri shorts in Sunday's race. Once my girlfriend realized I wasn't going to die doing this, she became involved in color coordination. I also wear a NY Giants hat that belonged to her step father who died in Feb on the run. It is inspiring (and she likes it)

2007-07-27 9:15 AM
in reply to: #903194

User image

gator22 - 2007-07-26 7:38 PM

(and she likes it)

If the ladies like it, then do it...

2007-07-27 11:39 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I'm sure you guys will get a kick out of this:

This morning, my swim workout was 4 sets of 50 pull, 50 kick, 50 swim and then 5 sets of 4 x 75 decending and some cool down.

Well, it seemed like the swim took forever but I just attributed it to long recovery time (:30) between the 75's and me talking to my swim peoples.

come to find out when I put my splits into my TP log...I did 7 sets...not 5!  Not only did I almost lose count during the sets of 4, but somehow I repeated 2 entire sets.  I'm such an idiot...

2007-07-27 1:08 PM
in reply to: #903927

User image

Expert
That would never happen to me because I cannot wait to get my out of the pool and start smelling like chloringe for the rest of the day!!
2007-07-27 1:18 PM
in reply to: #903927

User image

Marvarnett - 2007-07-27 11:39 AM

I'm sure you guys will get a kick out of this:

This morning, my swim workout was 4 sets of 50 pull, 50 kick, 50 swim and then 5 sets of 4 x 75 decending and some cool down.

Well, it seemed like the swim took forever but I just attributed it to long recovery time (:30) between the 75's and me talking to my swim peoples.

come to find out when I put my splits into my TP log...I did 7 sets...not 5!  Not only did I almost lose count during the sets of 4, but somehow I repeated 2 entire sets.  I'm such an idiot...

LOL... I catch myself doing dumb stuff all the time... like yesterday...

I was at lunch with a co-worker and we had just finished eating.  I still had a cookie that I didn't want to eat right away so I wrapped it up and put it in my purse for later.  Well, later in the day, after I had completely forgotten about the cookie, I reached into my purse and had an "Oh, look!  A cookie!" moment...

duh...

2007-07-27 1:18 PM

User image

Its starting to smell like COJ in here...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 42