BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-01-20 9:55 PM
in reply to: #1167038

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed

Well I completed my 3 sports today (including my first ever brick), and met my goals as follows:

S: 60 minutes (60 pledged)
B: 88 minutes (80 pledged)
R: 53 minutes (45 pledged)

For next week, I'll shoot for:

S: 70 minutes
B: 90 minutes
R: 50 minutes

2008-01-20 11:11 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Great job to those who hit their goals for the week! I started a "spinning" class with a group of hard core bikers today. I have done classes in the past and it was more fun than a workout, today is a different story: 1st off most of the group started changing out the stap pedals for their bike pedals complete with shoes and seats. Then we were chugging along and started doing hills, (I didn't know mt everest was in Ohio). After almost 2 hours my legs felt like jello. thank god no run scheduled today.
2008-01-21 7:50 AM
in reply to: #1167343

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT

Elizabeth - not sure there's a way to customize the training plan you downloaded.  I downloaded an IM plan last summer and couldn't figure it out.  You can copy certain workouts to other days I think, but that proved to be kind of hastle so I just tried to hit the plan weekly rather than what it called for on a daily basis. 

Does this group know how to knock out goals or what?  Bunch of studs and studette's!!  I'm all set with mine but I swapped my second bike workout for an extra run, not sure if that screws my goals up or not. 

I'm going to opt out of the challenge for the next few weeks, I'm 34 days away from a marathon and won't be focusing too much on the swimming and biking.  A February marathon in Albany, NY, what the heck was I thinking!!!  I'll keep up with reviewing everyone's posts though, so good luck to all of you.

Jay

2008-01-21 9:15 AM

Veteran
and good luck to you with the marathon, we'll be here to cheer you on!
2008-01-21 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: triOK's group - Kicked Arse this past week
Well with my non scientific data. Looks like we have come out of week 1 with a win. Looks like were all spared from seeing DitchDoc model his sheer white lingerie.

I believe I learned alot this past week about myself. I had the biggest workout week of my short training career, and I feel great. I am amazed at just how much more a person (group) can accomplish when they have friends supporting and helping them along.

So I will say... Thanks, and lets keep this going one week at a time.

Curt
2008-01-21 11:38 AM
in reply to: #1166610

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Welcome Julia -- I'm not on here a lot, but I'm new, too! Did my first 5K last Thanksgiving and finished a 1/2 marathon yesterday. Whew! What a thrill.

You can do it. You're smart to start running/walking. Biking right now is probably my weakest link, too.

Hope that shoulder gets all better. I had a rotator cuff tear a few years ago. It seemed like it took a long, long time to heal. Have a great training week.

Lynn :-)

2008-01-21 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1167494

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Jay -- Good luck in the marathon! I was in awe of the marathoners yesterday at a race here in CA. There were some elite runners and they were really poetry in motion. So inspiring.

Happy training. ~~Lynn
2008-01-21 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran

Congratulations Lynn! Completing a 1/2M is quite an accomplishment. Didn't know we had someone on here competing already!!
2008-01-21 11:45 AM
in reply to: #1167905

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT

Those elites are fun to watch huh?  Thanks on the well wishes for the marathon.  Keep your fingers crossed I stay healthy and am blessed with decent weather that day.  I'd hate all this training to go to waste!!

Jay

2008-01-21 12:17 PM
in reply to: #1167749

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

mifiremedic - 2008-01-21 10:27 AMWell with my non scientific data. Looks like we have come out of week 1 with a win. Looks like were all spared from seeing DitchDoc model his sheer white lingerie.I believe I learned alot this past week about myself. I had the biggest workout week of my short training career, and I feel great. I am amazed at just how much more a person (group) can accomplish when they have friends supporting and helping them along.So I will say... Thanks, and lets keep this going one week at a time.Curt

Curt, even though I am happy about the win, I really hate that I can not "share" with you all. I guess over all it is better for you to learn more about yourself, than for you to be able to learn more ( than you ever wanted to ) about me.  I do want to thank everyone who has given me encourgement so far, rather it be on this thread or the "inspire me" part of my logs. I hope by continuing to remind you of the swim attire I chosen to model, that I can continue to inspire all of you!

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-01-21 12:24 PM
2008-01-21 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1167965

User image

Extreme Veteran
DitchDoc,

Well maybe your fan club could talk you into modeling the sheet white lingerie even though it looks as though weve won the challenge.

Who wants to see DitchDoc model the Sheer white? Ha ha

ditchdoc - 2008-01-21 1:17 PM

( than you ever wanted to ) about me.  I do want to thank everyone who has given me encourgement so far, rather it be on this thread or the "inspire me" part of my logs. I hope by continuing to remind you of the swim attire I chosen to model, that I can continue to inspire all of you!

2008-01-21 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Seems like every time I post I'm saying something about my first time doing something. I guess that shows that I am really new to all this. Went to my first yoga class today. It was small and almost everyone there was new to it so I think it was pretty basic. But wow, I never realized how much work yoga is. I always thought it was just stretching. Being able to hold up your body in different positions for long periods of time really works your muscles. My whole body was shaking at times...good times! haha Have a good day off work today if you're off! Lucky me, teachers get the same days off as kids.
2008-01-21 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1168007

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey DitchDoc,

I'm beginning to think we should go back to school... ha ha

gator416 - 2008-01-21 1:40 PM

Seems like every time I post I'm saying something about my first time doing something. I guess that shows that I am really new to all this. Went to my first yoga class today. It was small and almost everyone there was new to it so I think it was pretty basic. But wow, I never realized how much work yoga is. I always thought it was just stretching. Being able to hold up your body in different positions for long periods of time really works your muscles. My whole body was shaking at times...good times! haha Have a good day off work today if you're off! Lucky me, teachers get the same days off as kids.
2008-01-21 2:45 PM
in reply to: #1168062

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Curt...you REALLY dont want t see me do that. Just use it as a motivating factor...and leave it at that!!!

Gator 419... I am calling tomorrow to find out about beginner Yoga classes. Thanks for that little heads up.

All, Just finished my 25 minute run for today, I pushed it out a little harder today, and it felt really good. No problems with the foot. Had some really good music on the Ipod.  

2008-01-21 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Goals this week!

Swim: 2 hrs
bike: 3:40 hrs
run: 3 hrs
core/str 1hr
Yoga 1hr

David
2008-01-21 5:19 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

I hope everyone's off to a great week.  Ya'll seriously inspire me.

Lora

2008-01-21 5:50 PM
in reply to: #1168007

User image

Los Angeles

gator416 - 2008-01-21 10:40 AM Seems like every time I post I'm saying something about my first time doing something. I guess that shows that I am really new to all this. Went to my first yoga class today. It was small and almost everyone there was new to it so I think it was pretty basic. But wow, I never realized how much work yoga is. I always thought it was just stretching. Being able to hold up your body in different positions for long periods of time really works your muscles. My whole body was shaking at times...good times! haha Have a good day off work today if you're off! Lucky me, teachers get the same days off as kids.

I think that yoga builds greater strength than wieght training does. It focuses on building strength in all parts of your body, while learning to control your breath and mind. Keep it up, you won't regret it!

Edited by ldubbe 2008-01-21 5:51 PM
2008-01-21 7:54 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Hey folks! I had a busy holiday weekend - ski day, run day, and today biked. My legs are really tired. Looking forward to my rest day tomorrow. I scheduled a 90 min massage after work! Can't wait for those magic hands to help my muscles recover -- also on the rotator cuff...the injury spread out to cause knots and spasms down my scapula and up my neck. I actually think that's worse than the joint at this point...so..., the massage plan.

Elizabeth, what's your field - you mentioned neuro and ortho- PT, doc, nurse?

Valve broke while I was pumping up my bike and I had to change my tube...I was no longer home. Which made me realize how good it feels to be able to do simple bike mechanics and have what I needed with me. For those of you not very experienced with cycling...I recommend taking a clinic at your local bike shop for a couple of hours on simple mechanics, like changing tubes and making simple adjustments. You will feel a lot more confident with your machine I have some bike touring experience...so that's where I got the "on the road training".

Julia
2008-01-21 8:05 PM
in reply to: #1167893

Albuquerque, NM
Lynn,

Congrats on the 1/2 marathon...how did you feel? Did you walk at all?

I am already nervous for my 5K that I am going to go all out and get injured. Do you train using a heart rate monitor and did you use it for the race?

Jay -- good luck in Albany...I saw in trail runner magazine that you can get little crampons for your running shoes!

Julia
2008-01-22 5:57 AM

User image

Master

Wow, everyone did a great job of pushing thier limits last week.  I know I did, and took a much needed (and scheduled) rest day yesterday.  It is back at it now though.  Let's avoid a sophmore slump, and keep the training going strong.  This week and next week will be very important for developing an exercise "habit".  Keep up the motivation, and get those workouts in, even if they are shorter than you would like,  make it a priority.  (I say that more for myself than most of you!!)

BIG SHOUT OUT to Lynn for her first Half Marathon.  Way to go!!!

Have a great week everyone!

2008-01-22 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
I want details about your first half. I don't care if I have to walk the entire thing... I am planning on doing the SF women's nike half in October.

For the curious minds that asked. .. I am a therapist... but I also went to Kellogg for my MBA... so these days I am more in admin.(I manage all the PT's, OT's and SLP's) than clinical practice...but my skills are still there.

Elizabeth

2008-01-22 11:15 AM

User image

Eastern PA
I was going to check out the local school district's evening adult lap swim tonight, but I am feeling under the weather. Very scratchy throat and overall yucky feeling. Should I go anyway? What do you guys normally do when you're not feeling well? I had wanted to teach myself the flip turn (after watching the great BT video), but thinking I should postpone.

Teash
2008-01-22 12:10 PM
in reply to: #1169233

User image

Master
Vista, CA
azelizabeth - 2008-01-22 6:25 AM

I want details about your first half. I don't care if I have to walk the entire thing... I am planning on doing the SF women's nike half in October.

For the curious minds that asked. .. I am a therapist... but I also went to Kellogg for my MBA... so these days I am more in admin.(I manage all the PT's, OT's and SLP's) than clinical practice...but my skills are still there.

Elizabeth

Thanks to all of you who've given me the shout out on the 1/2. I wanted to share my experience with you all and since you asked Elizabeth...It was exhilarating. First of all, I told myself I could walk as much as I wanted or needed to so I wouldn't set myself up for failure. But, I had been running some with walking intervals and my farthest run workout had been 11 1/2 miles. I have had issues with my hip and the psoas muscles so I had to be cautious, but I ended up running almost the whole da*n thing! I was hurting, but in a way I felt wasn't hurting my legs, just giving them a heck of a workout. I finished in 2:27 and my pace time was 11:13. I usually run about a 10 to 10:30 mile and had I not stopped to potty and stretch and I did walk just a bit to stretch out my hip flexors. My ipod ran out of battery at the 3 mile mark and I wasn't running with anyone else I knew because we kind of got separated with the 6,000 plus people. I am very happy I completed this and I have proudly worn my 1/2 marathon finisher shirt (around the house, so far).

I'm off to swim for the day. Thanks again to all you athletes -- YOU ROCK! (and so do I!) :-)

~Lynn
2008-01-22 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1169788

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
WTG Lynn!!! You DO rock!!!!
2008-01-22 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1169632

User image

Master

teash - 2008-01-22 11:15 AM I was going to check out the local school district's evening adult lap swim tonight, but I am feeling under the weather. Very scratchy throat and overall yucky feeling. Should I go anyway? What do you guys normally do when you're not feeling well? I had wanted to teach myself the flip turn (after watching the great BT video), but thinking I should postpone. Teash

If you are feeling sick, I say skip it Get lots of rest and water, and get in your workouts tomorrow or the next day when you are feeling better.  I went through a cold a few weeks ago, and tried to come back too early, and paid for it by taking an extra few days off.  Don't kick yourself over it, just get better, and then get out there again.  YMMV.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52