BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 240

2012-01-25 9:19 PM
in reply to: #1137328

User image

Veteran
Columbus, IN
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH!

I was trying to upload my workouts from training peaks (for the month of January) to my log here but it isn't working too well ......grrrrr....so I'm giving up for now.  

Billy, I didn't forget...I'll have a pic of those shoes for you soon.  

Lena-your cakes are amazing!

I know some people that swear by the foam roller but I haven't even tried one.  

My little baby is turing 18 tomorrow.  Unbelievable!

I'm still reading and trying to catch up with everyone.  

2012-01-25 9:48 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH!
I dont have a foam roller, but I have an amazing wife.  When my calf was bothering my a few weeks back, she went into the kitchen, came back to the bedroom....oh wait, thats another story!  Just kidding.  She came into the bedroom with a mini roller she got from a pampered chef party and proceeded to work on my calf.  Actually pretty painful during the massage but was noticeably better the following day.  This continued for several days and I am as good as new now.  Rollers work!
2012-01-26 4:49 AM
in reply to: #4009241

left.right.repeat - 2012-01-24 9:34 PM

Spar - you and Freddy Beach Pete can carpool. LOL. Maybe Mav will ride with you guys. Haha

Whaddya say Freddy Beach Pete and Mav? Might be a bit of a long drive!

FBP - What races are you planning to do this year? Do you have favorites that you recommend? I am in Amherst (about 2 hours from Freddy). I'm hoping to do races that can double as a camping trips for my family. Any suggestions? So far, I just have Epic Dartmouth on my radar - I haven't commited to it yet because I'm not sure that I have time to get ready for it (it may become a next year race).

Have a great day everyone!
Tanya

Edited by spar 2012-01-26 4:50 AM
2012-01-26 7:32 AM
in reply to: #4011126

Uxbridge

left.right.repeat - 2012-01-25 6:57 PM One thing for all of you.

One reason this group has worked all these years is because I am really smart -- haha. -- gotcha. -- not really. THE real reason is that every one of you is smart. Some with running - some with swim trunks - some with fondant icing. And you all share. Every one of you is invited to weigh in on any discussion. If you are a bit offline, we will gently nudge you back to the center of the road. I will certainly give my opinion and let you know what I think but I wan all of you to feel free to collaborate. As I said, it's what makes this group great. It will be very evident when the discussion turns to peeing in your wetsuit and on your bike. Just wait. We talk about EVERYTHING.

Ha! I got a new wetsuit for Christmas and I am looking forward to my first OWS and its "christening"

Welcome to all our new members...there is a lot to learn here....and lots of fun.

Congrats on signing up for Canada Bryan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012-01-26 7:34 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Fat2tri-Maria-we are neighbors!!! I looked in your log and you are close to Aurora? I'm north of you in Carpentersville! We actually see our holistic chiropractor in Warrenville almost every week (yeah, it's a hike, but he's worth it), and my son goes to Russian school in Naperville...
2012-01-26 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4011126

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
left.right.repeat - 2012-01-25 5:57 PM

One thing for all of you.

. As I said, it's what makes this group great. It will be very evident when the discussion turns to peeing in your wetsuit and on your bike. Just wait. We talk about EVERYTHING.

Oh GARY.....where are you? this is your cue to start talking about cold weather and catheters....

hehehhehehhehe

2012-01-26 7:52 AM
in reply to: #4011727

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
mav - 2012-01-26 7:32 AM

Ha! I got a new wetsuit for Christmas and I am looking forward to my first OWS and its "christening"

oooooooh! Which one which one? pics please!
2012-01-26 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Kathy, I really love my Rumble Roller:
rumbleroller

I got it with the P90X2 kit and have just started using it (its use is incorporated into X2 workouts), and let me tell you... it's like deep tissue massage even with light rolling! Highly recommend!
2012-01-26 9:00 AM

User image

Expert

I totally agree with everyone else - foam rollers, the stick, or trigger point therapy.  Whatever you can get and use, do it.  I find to get my hammy on the foam roller, I have to put the other leg over it to create some downward pressure and then I lean forward a little bit.  It's kind of hard and I have to hold on to something for balance, but it gets the part of the hammy I need it to get.

As far as marathon recovery - everyone is different, but if this is a first marathon, it will take longer to recover and be totally back to normal.  Be careful about it so you don't risk injury.  

Billy, I should have some shoes coming your way in the next couple of days.

2012-01-26 9:48 AM

Extreme Veteran
Mark - you don't have to whisper. I think the Oly will be fine however...

ALL - as we all know, we are all different. Don't BR afraid to listen to your body. A few days totally off is better than an injury. You can take 5-7 days off and lose very little (4-6%) of your fitness. At 2 weeks it's up to 10% or so. But you need to do what your body says. Swim, swim, swim - anytime I am sore, I swim. It stretches you out. Builds endurance and has no impact so it is almost perfect.

Race calendars - your race calendar is controlled by many variables - not the least of which is money. Other factors - family needs - travel - a specific desired race - etc. racing can get expensive so be aware and manage that part. Smaller races are usually cheaper - local races don't involve travel. There is always a way.

How much is too much racing? I don't know. Again, this is a listen to your body. If you are brand new - don't overdo it. Get to November and see how you feel. My first year I did two races and one organized bike event. Then I got into November and I was dying for an event. I found a bike ride and drove 4.5 hours to and from just to go ride with people. I want you to be the same. I don't want you going into your last race feeling "oh God, I just want this race to be over I am so tired". Now during the race you will probably feel that way but I don't want you there days before the race.

Rank your races - if you race a lot then you must prioritize. A races B races and C races. One or two A races a year. Properly spaced to be trained for them. IMC is my A race this year. B races - important but not critical - maybe a check race to gauge your fitness. You will not specifically taper for this race but you will rest up for it even if it is during your build to an A race. A C race is more like a catered training day. Someone else brings the water and goodies and it is your workout (or part of your workout) for the day. No taper- little if any recovery. For example, there is a sprint I did for a few years - great race - in 09, traing for IMAZ, I did the sprint - finished - went and got my bike from transition and rode the bike course three more times to get that days work done. Finished that and caught the end of the party before driving home.

I enjoy events - even if they as really just a training day and I live in an area where I have several to pick fromm regularly. You may not be so lucky and have to be picky. Just create a plan and work it.
2012-01-26 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4011729

Washington DC

Not quite neighbors, but close enough. I actually live in Chicago, but was in Aurora for the weekend visiting friends.

That seems like it would be a trek every day to get your son in school!

2012-01-26 2:23 PM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Just a quick question...

Does anyone in our group have a total immersion video that I could borrow/use and send back?

Would be interested to at least take a look at it.  May be able to find it at the library, but haven't looked yet.

Monte

2012-01-26 2:26 PM
in reply to: #4012743

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
fat2tri - 2012-01-26 2:02 PM

Not quite neighbors, but close enough. I actually live in Chicago, but was in Aurora for the weekend visiting friends.

That seems like it would be a trek every day to get your son in school!

oh goodness no! I couldn't drive him that far every day! It's almost an hour one way without traffic... it's only on Saturdays. We actually don't go right now, but will start next weekend and then it's till June..

2012-01-26 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4012803

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Malsup - 2012-01-26 2:23 PM

Just a quick question...

Does anyone in our group have a total immersion video that I could borrow/use and send back?

Would be interested to at least take a look at it.  May be able to find it at the library, but haven't looked yet.

Monte

Monte, i just checked my library and it seems here, we only have the book.. I have the book and it's good. Active.com Schwaggle has the Total Immersion package deal going on right now, in case you are interested: http://schwaggle.active.com/deal/5650/50-percent-off-total-immersio... I haven't decided yet whether to pull the trigger on it, but probably will.. ends today.
2012-01-26 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4012837

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia
Lyoshka - 2012-01-26 2:37 PM

Just a quick question...

Monte

Monte, i just checked my library and it seems here, we only have the book.. I have the book and it's good. Active.com Schwaggle has the Total Immersion package deal going on right now, in case you are interested: http://schwaggle.active.com/deal/5650/50-percent-off-total-immersio... I haven't decided yet whether to pull the trigger on it, but probably will.. ends today.

Lena,

I was on active earlier looking for a short run/race local and I saw it too.  It was what made me decide to ask on here.  thinking about it as well.  Won't hurt to try to improve my "style"  ha

Monte

2012-01-26 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4012846

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Malsup - 2012-01-26 2:41 PM

Lyoshka - 2012-01-26 2:37 PM

Just a quick question...

Monte

Lena,

I was on active earlier looking for a short run/race local and I saw it too.  It was what made me decide to ask on here.  thinking about it as well.  Won't hurt to try to improve my "style"  ha

Monte

see, I just need to get faster! i'm a confident, but slowwww swimmer.. i went to www.totalimmersion.com and read the details on the 10 lessons in the dvd and it seems like it should get me faster, since it teaches fundamentals of breathing, being slick in water, rotating, etc.... think i'm going to go for it, esp since ship is included.

2012-01-26 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4012846

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Just a quick comment to Bryan.  Firstly, congrats on Canada.  You continue to be an amazing inspiration.  Maybe there is an Ironman in my future??  How old are you again??  I'm turning 50 in May.

I wanted to share that I also find swimming to be an amzing healer.  I get a neck ache periodically, think it is my pillow.  I have to change it up everry once in a while but my neck has been tight and paining me for the last few days.  I have been away form the pool secondary to cold and sinus issues but said the heck with it and did a speed work out this morning.  My neck is 95% better!!  The rotation in gasping, I mean breathing, must have been what I needed.  I also have used in during recovery when my quads were killing me post half mary and HIM. 

Thanks again Bryan for all the sound information.

2012-01-26 3:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ann - I will be 53 this year. First Ironman shortly after my 50 birthday. Sedentary from high school to 47. You can do anything you want. B
2012-01-26 5:44 PM

Extreme Veteran
Required reading for all:

http://m.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-301--12904-F,00.html?cm_mmc=NL-Nutrition79385001262012-_-10%20Rules%20of%20Fueling
2012-01-26 7:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Monte, I have the DVD and I live in GA. You are welcome to borrow it. I did the weekend sessn and found that way more beneficial then the video. If the sessions don't fit into your schedule the video does help.Lena, those rollers could be taken the wrong way. I did use my foam roller tonight on my hamstring after my run and it felt good. I put more pressure on the roller and I thi k that was the issue.
2012-01-26 7:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
Roller Lesson: seated on floor, legs extended. Raise you taill off the floor on your hand with arms extended holding you off floor. Slide the roller under your thigh. Keep tail off the floor and roll slowly to the magic spot. Enjoy!!! You can also cross your legs at the ankle to add a bit more weight. If you do it this way, I don't think you will struggle with lack of resistance or pressure.

2012-01-26 7:45 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Kathy, what do you mean by taken the wrong way?
2012-01-26 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Please be aware of my weird sense of humor........... At first glance I was like that looked like a sex toy.
2012-01-26 8:07 PM

User image

Richmond Hill

I have looked at some of the TI info previously, and had installed the TI app on my iPod Touch which has some short clips of the techniques. I haven't gone through all of the exercises but have tried to incorporate some of the techniques in my swimming. It has improved my swim, particularly the endurance. My issue is still speed - I can swim 100 yards in just under 2 minutes when I first get in the pool, but quickly after that, I struggle to average 2:15 to 2:20 per 100 yds. I'm pretty sure it is lousy technique, but I'm not sure how to correct it. I also ordered the Active Schwaggle package, but am doubtful that alone I will be able to identify and correct my issues. I'm not at all concerned that I can swim the distance needed (at least up to HIM), but I would prefer to do it faster than a 2:20 - 2:30 pace.

So my question goes to Kathy (Krazytallchick - love that name!) and Bryan and whomever may have attended a TI workshop: Do you think the TI workshops are worth it? I've been eyeballing them for the last 6 months, but can't bring myself to pony up the cost plus time / travel (closest workshop for me is Jacksonville - about 2 hours drive). Bryan - I know you have commented in previous posts on this forum that private TI lessons would be better than the workshops, but I'm not aware of any TI instructors in my area.

Thanks,

Robbie

2012-01-26 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4013370

User image

Extreme Veteran
I attended the 2 TI session and I thought it was very beneficial and eye opening. I took the class last year about this time and the class was full! I thought there too many people as it was the start of tri training and they did have 4 instructors but 4 of them each was working with 10 or more so us. Having a one on one session can be way costly. I did find a swim instructor to give me additional lesson last summer and she pretty much gave me the same instructions as TI but she didn't call it that. My recommendation is to talk to other tri athletes on their recommendation for a coach and get lessons from them. i got more out of those sessions then the TI sessions.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH! Rss Feed  

of 240