BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2011-04-11 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3440231

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL
squirt - 2011-04-11 12:58 PM

Barry, I'm so glad you asked that question (and that Ernesto answered it)!  I have a bike fit scheduled this week and have also asked for a lesson in how to use the clip in shoes/pedals.  Been riding the bike I bought off craigslist for a few weeks without making any changes since the gal that had it before was my height. 

Did my first tri of the year and second ever yesterday and had lots of fun.  The good takeaway was the improvement over the first one.  I may be slow, but I'm less slow .  

Yesterday's Tri (275, 13, 3.1)                2009 Tri (300, 12, 3.1)

2:11/100 yds                                       2:47/100 yds       Swim

14.6 mph                                            13.7 mph            Bike

10:27/mile                                           10:59/mile          Run

My trainsition times are horrible, but I'm celebrating the good right now, and will work on that (and lots of other things) for next time. 

Congratulations, Carol.  My transitions were awful too.  At least we know what to practice now.  Which one are you doing next?

2011-04-11 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Barry, I'm so glad you asked that question (and that Ernesto answered it)!  I have a bike fit scheduled this week and have also asked for a lesson in how to use the clip in shoes/pedals.  Been riding the bike I bought off craigslist for a few weeks without making any changes since the gal that had it before was my height. 

Did my first tri of the year and second ever yesterday and had lots of fun.  The good takeaway was the improvement over the first one.  I may be slow, but I'm less slow .  

My trainsition times are horrible, but I'm celebrating the good right now, and will work on that (and lots of other things) for next time. 

That is great Carol! it's very rewarding when you start the season with a new record. Welcome to the thread btw!

2011-04-11 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3259938

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Thanks Jackie!  I'm thinking maybe we just embrace it and do our hair an nails in the transition next time .  Seriously....I'm signed up for the Texas Man Sprint on 5/15.  1st open water swim experience, so will be preparing to survive that over the next few weeks.  How about you -- what's next on your calendar?

MTA: And thanks Ernesto....simulposting.

Edited by squirt 2011-04-11 2:46 PM
2011-04-11 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Stuck in My Training

Ernesto,

Help.  I'm stuck in my training.  Work has become increasingly stressful.  For the first time in forever, I feel totally exhausted.  I don't want to miss training opportunities, but I just want to sleep.  I took naps  both on Saturday and Sunday this weekend.

Should I just go out and walk my run and build my aerobic base?  Or do you recommend something else?

2011-04-11 4:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

A big Congratulations Carol!! This gives me hope for my first and second tri.Smile

Edited by baurryman 2011-04-11 4:39 PM
2011-04-11 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3440560

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Stuck in My Training
jdiis - 2011-04-11 2:51 PM

Ernesto,

Help.  I'm stuck in my training.  Work has become increasingly stressful.  For the first time in forever, I feel totally exhausted.  I don't want to miss training opportunities, but I just want to sleep.  I took naps  both on Saturday and Sunday this weekend.

Should I just go out and walk my run and build my aerobic base?  Or do you recommend something else?

I'll make it simple: listen to your body. If you're extremely tired, then rest. If you have some energies, run slow or walk. If you need to relax, swim.

2011-04-11 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3441197

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Stuck in My Training
evillarroel - 2011-04-11 8:16 PM
jdiis - 2011-04-11 2:51 PM

Ernesto,

I'll make it simple: listen to your body. If you're extremely tired, then rest. If you have some energies, run slow or walk. If you need to relax, swim.

OK, I knew that.  I just needed to see it in writing from my mentor Wink

2011-04-12 3:24 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Thanks Barry.  Yes, if I can do it, you absolutely can! When is your first?

Jackie, hard to figure out the listen to your body thing.  For example, my body tends to say "get me some pizza now", and I have listened to that a bit too much .

Ernesto, I put together a training plan to get me to the next tri, which is on 5/15 (1/2 mile swim, 16 mile bike, 3.1 mile run).  Would love your input on it if you get a chance.  My log should be open if you need to see where I'm starting from.  Last couple weeks were rough due to a family crisis, but hopefully back to more time to train going forward:

Run 4 times - 3 miles, 6 miles, 3 miles, 4 miles -- Bump up by 10% next 3 wks, then drop to 80% final wk

Bike 3 times - 13 miles, 10 miles, 16 miles -- Bump up by 10% next 3 wks, then drop to 80% final wk

Swim 2 times - 2000 yds, 1500 yds -- keep same, but work on OWS skills (bilateral, clinic or join group swim at lake)

Strength/Stretch 2 times - 30 minutes each (mostly upper, core, hips) -- keep same

Short swim and short bike on same day; medium bike and one short run on same day.

2011-04-13 6:43 AM
in reply to: #3442880

User image

Master
Dallas
squirt - 2011-04-12 3:24 PM

Thanks Barry.  Yes, if I can do it, you absolutely can! When is your first?

Jackie, hard to figure out the listen to your body thing.  For example, my body tends to say "get me some pizza now", and I have listened to that a bit too much .

Ernesto, I put together a training plan to get me to the next tri, which is on 5/15 (1/2 mile swim, 16 mile bike, 3.1 mile run).  Would love your input on it if you get a chance.  My log should be open if you need to see where I'm starting from.  Last couple weeks were rough due to a family crisis, but hopefully back to more time to train going forward:

Run 4 times - 3 miles, 6 miles, 3 miles, 4 miles -- Bump up by 10% next 3 wks, then drop to 80% final wk

Bike 3 times - 13 miles, 10 miles, 16 miles -- Bump up by 10% next 3 wks, then drop to 80% final wk

Swim 2 times - 2000 yds, 1500 yds -- keep same, but work on OWS skills (bilateral, clinic or join group swim at lake)

Strength/Stretch 2 times - 30 minutes each (mostly upper, core, hips) -- keep same

Short swim and short bike on same day; medium bike and one short run on same day.

Some considerations:

- Billateral breathing is great for swimmers, not really a need for triathletes. During races, you need to breath every two strokes to make your body aerobic. This slightly reduces efficiency, but it sets you up for a much better bike and run.

- About your body screaming for pizza, I would recommend you read "The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing" by Phil Maffetone, you will get great tips for training, nutrition, rest, hydration, race strategy, etc. In this group there's a few followers to Phil's methods and I swear by it. Going back to the pizza, if your body asks for refined carbs you may not be eating/training adequately, maybe too high in your threshold. Do you have a Garmin with a HR monitor?

2011-04-13 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3443752

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

evillarroel - 2011-04-13 6:43 AM
squirt - 2011-04-12 3:24 PM

Some considerations:

- Billateral breathing is great for swimmers, not really a need for triathletes. During races, you need to breath every two strokes to make your body aerobic. This slightly reduces efficiency, but it sets you up for a much better bike and run.

- About your body screaming for pizza, I would recommend you read "The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing" by Phil Maffetone, you will get great tips for training, nutrition, rest, hydration, race strategy, etc. In this group there's a few followers to Phil's methods and I swear by it. Going back to the pizza, if your body asks for refined carbs you may not be eating/training adequately, maybe too high in your threshold. Do you have a Garmin with a HR monitor?

Thanks Ernesto!  I hadn't thought of that on the swimming....have been mostly breathing on the 5th stroke (left only)...occasionally grabbing a breath on the 3rd if I felt the need.  So the bilateral was actually breathing more to me.  What you are saying makes sense though since the swim is such a relatively short piece of the puzzle.  Have some books to take back to the library, so will see if I can pick up the Maffetone book. Yes, I have a garmin w/ HR monitor, but don't really do much with the HR feedback it gives me.  My run HR tends to be higher than it probably should be, so your comments about that are spot on.  I really appreciate your input. 

2011-04-13 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Ernesto, thanks for putting it so simply and bluntly in spite of so much hype for the bilateral breathing (on BT as well)!

Btw, I breathe every 2 strokes as well, but it's because I always have and can't swim any other way...

2011-04-13 6:11 PM
in reply to: #3444993

User image

Expert
markz - 2011-04-13 3:20 PM

Ernesto, thanks for putting it so simply and bluntly in spite of so much hype for the bilateral breathing (on BT as well)!

Btw, I breathe every 2 strokes as well, but it's because I always have and can't swim any other way...

OK you guys, quit holding out on me.  Tell me everything you know, NOW! 

I started out breathing every 2 and then (after reading a bunch of stuff) I decided that my swim would be better if I didn't come up for air so often.  I never really thought about how it fit into everything else.  I can't wait until I'm not so "new" anymore.  Not that I'll ever stop learning!

2011-04-13 6:16 PM
in reply to: #3440545

User image

Expert
squirt - 2011-04-11 2:45 PM

Thanks Jackie!  I'm thinking maybe we just embrace it and do our hair an nails in the transition next time .  Seriously....I'm signed up for the Texas Man Sprint on 5/15.  1st open water swim experience, so will be preparing to survive that over the next few weeks.  How about you -- what's next on your calendar?

MTA: And thanks Ernesto....simulposting.

I don't do the nails thing and my hair does pretty much what it wants.  Have to find something else to do in transition.

I'm looking at CapTex on 5/30.  I'm waiting to see if I can get my energy level back.  Work is very stressful and I will be changing jobs soon.  Just not sure what or where that job is yet.

2011-04-13 7:46 PM
in reply to: #3445288

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Jackie said:

I don't do the nails thing and my hair does pretty much what it wants.  Have to find something else to do in transition.

I'm looking at CapTex on 5/30.  I'm waiting to see if I can get my energy level back.  Work is very stressful and I will be changing jobs soon.  Just not sure what or where that job is yet.

Ha!  Actually I don't do the nails thing either.  Only manicure I've ever had, my boss "sponsored", and my hair has always had a mind of it's own (see picture).  

Where is captex?  Hope you get to do it, and that your work gets straightened out, one way or the other.  I know how stressful that can be.  Focusing on working out has been a godsend for me in terms of dealing with stress lately.  In the last few weeks, my FIL has gone from home, to hospital, to rehab center, to alzheimers facility, and we're still trying to figure out how life fits back together. 

Had a bike fit done today with some pretty significant adjustments.  Got my bike off craigslist, and thought it was a pretty sweet deal...bike shop agreed, nice frame, right size, good components, etc.   Hopefully will help, but know I need to work on the engine more than anything.

Edited by squirt 2011-04-13 7:57 PM
2011-04-14 2:36 AM
in reply to: #3445283

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
jdiis - 2011-04-13 6:11 PM

OK you guys, quit holding out on me.  Tell me everything you know, NOW! 

I started out breathing every 2 and then (after reading a bunch of stuff) I decided that my swim would be better if I didn't come up for air so often.  I never really thought about how it fit into everything else.  I can't wait until I'm not so "new" anymore.  Not that I'll ever stop learning!

Jackie,

My understanding is that while bilateral breathing allows you to have better position in the water (slightly less drag) and be more symmetrical, which is helpful (straight swim line etc) - it also means you're putting less oxygen into your muscles, which is fine for just swimming short distances or maybe even short triatlons, but this oxygen deficiency will tire your muscles if you have to go longer distance. So overal,  for longer triathlons it is not worth it. That's it. Again, this is MY understanding.

Edited by markz 2011-04-14 2:38 AM
2011-04-14 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3444993

User image

Master
Dallas

This was taught to me by my swim coach, who's also a triathlete and was an OLYMPIC swimmer. I believe him for that and because I have tried it myself.

Ironman Austin 70.3 (34'24" w/ wetsuit) breathing every four. Came out EXHAUSTED.

Ironman Puerto Rico 70.3 (35'08" without wetsuit) breathing every two. Came out as fresh as I entered the water.

I know I sacrificed 45" but does it matter??? Also keep in mind that PR was not a wetsuit swim.

So, Mark, how do you feel two weeks out from the race?

2011-04-14 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3445912

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
evillarroel

Nervous, sleep issues, undertrained, the usual... I realise it doesn't take much to derail an event like this, but on the other hand - this is only a game we created and volunteered to play! So I keep telling myself.

Right now  I am  considering how to attach the bike to the car: roof rack vs hatch hanger (I have no towbar). I'm leaning towards the hatch.

On top of all this - we have moved to a new place this week and everything is a mess here, so much happening at the same time!!!

Have a great weekend Ernesto and Gang!!!

Edited by markz 2011-04-14 3:25 PM
2011-04-14 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3447255

El Paso
markz - 2011-04-14 3:23 PM
evillarroel

Nervous, sleep issues, undertrained, the usual... I realise it doesn't take much to derail an event like this, but on the other hand - this is only a game we created and volunteered to play! So I keep telling myself.

Right now  I am  considering how to attach the bike to the car: roof rack vs hatch hanger (I have no towbar). I'm leaning towards the hatch.

On top of all this - we have moved to a new place this week and everything is a mess here, so much happening at the same time!!!

Ok, here is my input, not long ago jackie advise that I should release the air under water instead of holding my breath, and came out for air every 3 strokes, so when someone posted that for TT trainers its better to breath every 2 strokes, I imediatelly tried this in my previous 2 swims, and I improved 40%, I feel more relax and panic does not show up until latter when my arms feel pain, this never happend before, I usually would start gasping for air and then panic. So that's great!, but I'm reading that it is not so good for long distances, so do you still recommend it?
2011-04-14 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3447255

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
evillarroel

Mark, You will already have a victory just getting to the start, especially if your bike stays attached to the car! 

2011-04-14 10:28 PM

User image

Corpus Christi
I breath every 3 strokes, it seems that if I breath every 2 I get stuck breathing on the same side to often and my neck gets messed up. so i do 3's to alternate which side i breath on.  unless im swimming in the ocean where wind and waves make the difference.
2011-04-15 3:11 AM
in reply to: #3447719

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
squirt - 2011-04-14 8:23 PM
evillarroel

Mark, You will already have a victory just getting to the start, especially if your bike stays attached to the car! 

Carol, thanks for reinforcing my fears about the bike... Wink 

2011-04-15 5:32 AM
in reply to: #3447868

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

tizon - 2011-04-14 10:28 PM I breath every 3 strokes, it seems that if I breath every 2 I get stuck breathing on the same side to often and my neck gets messed up. so i do 3's to alternate which side i breath on.  unless im swimming in the ocean where wind and waves make the difference.

This would be one good reason to know how to breathe on both sides - to be able to choose the side according o the conditions.  One day...The neck? I trained it to get use to it.

2011-04-16 5:41 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
I tried to start a new group (and put you all in there) but I guess they did not accept my mentor application. Have I done a good job replying and giving you ideas? Frown
2011-04-16 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3450428

El Paso
evillarroel - 2011-04-16 5:41 PMI tried to start a new group (and put you all in there) but I guess they did not accept my mentor application. Have I done a good job replying and giving you ideas? Frown
you have been the most important factor in my trainning, I had no idea where to start, and you have giving me clear advise.. you even told me to use my shorts, that was the best!!
2011-04-16 7:46 PM
in reply to: #3450428

El Paso
evillarroel - 2011-04-16 5:41 PMI tried to start a new group (and put you all in there) but I guess they did not accept my mentor application. Have I done a good job replying and giving you ideas? Frown
you have been the most important factor in my trainning, I had no idea where to start, and you have giving me clear advise.. you even told me to use my shorts, that was the best!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 25