BT Development Mentor Program Archives » lkagop's Training Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-12-03 4:56 PM
in reply to: #1385359

User image

Subject: RE: lkagop's Training Group
I am new to this How do I sign up for a mentor program? I have been trying to find someone to train with from Ohio, I have not had much luck so far, trying to stay motivated and focus is really tough for me right now. This is not a real great time of the year, due to family tragedy in the past. But  I've been knocked down a little, but I got back on the horse and started at square one, and so far so good.

2008-12-03 7:47 PM

Veteran
indian land, South Carolina
Silver member

Peachy day #3 in the books! Nice ab workout this AM.Rreverse brick: spin class then 30 minute swim this PM.

Hope everyone gets over there colds soon. I think I'm about out of the woods. Still a bit congested, but my lungs weren't screaming tonight.

2008-12-04 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
Peach 3 completed and my illness is fading fast, but *surprise!* I now have a client visit on Friday in NJ so that means a 5:30AM flight and not landing back in Boston until close to 7pm... not sure I'll be up for Friday's peach by the time I get home. Frown

Edited by running4beer 2008-12-04 9:00 AM
2008-12-04 9:53 AM

User image

today swim completed: 2000 meters.
1x250 warm-up
1x450 finger tip drag
2x100 kickboard
1x300 pull
3x100 free
2x50 kickboard
4x25 spints
1x100 pull with paddles
1x200 cooldown

Total time- 1hr 25

evening strength training for today will be chest and shoulders.

this weekend another 5k race.
2008-12-04 10:17 AM
in reply to: #1837289

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

mountainbiker - 2008-12-03 5:56 PM I am new to this How do I sign up for a mentor program? I have been trying to find someone to train with from Ohio, I have not had much luck so far, trying to stay motivated and focus is really tough for me right now. This is not a real great time of the year, due to family tragedy in the past. But  I've been knocked down a little, but I got back on the horse and started at square one, and so far so good.

Hey, Kevin.  

The mentor groups have already proven great for my motivation-challenged self.  Take a look at the groups that don't have "closed" in their titles and peruse to see which one may suit you - they're all good, but one may appeal to you more or less depending on their backgrounds or current challenges or goals.  I *thought* this group was closed, but not really sure... lkagop?

Also, make sure you enter your state in your profile to get access to the General Discussion forum for Ohio.  You might be able to find info about races, training groups and ask around for a training partner there.  I spend most of my time here between the Massachusetts group and this training group to keep me motivated and find folks to train with virtually or in person.

Sorry to hear about family tragedy-- I think a big part of my initially starting running was because the holidays bummed me out, too for similar reasons.  It definitely helps keep the spirit up to keep moving, and I love the camaraderie out during the Turkey Trots and Jingle Bell runs and here online during the colder months.

-Mina

Looks like you've already got 3 peaches (logged workouts) in December... nice work!

Edited by running4beer 2008-12-04 10:18 AM
2008-12-04 7:00 PM

Veteran
Silver member

Hope everyone is recovering nicely from illnesses and injuries!

5 mile LSD run and spin class give me 4 peaches in a row!

2008-12-04 10:17 PM

User image

Regular
Omaha, Nebraska

Just finished my swim so I am 4 peaches now. Stiil struggling with the swim but I checked swimplan.com and the plan is helping. Thanks Michelle for mentioning that.

I have noticed that after swimming for awhile I feel a bit nauseous and dizzy. After a little tme I feel fine. Not sure if it is from swallowing water, since I do a little bit, or just getting my breathing rythm down that will help.  I can push hard running and biking and never feel that way. It only happens after swimming. Anyone else experience that before ?

2008-12-04 11:50 PM
in reply to: #1839664

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

"I have noticed that after swimming for awhile I feel a bit nauseous and dizzy. After a little tme I feel fine. Not sure if it is from swallowing water, since I do a little bit, or just getting my breathing rythm down that will help.  I can push hard running and biking and never feel that way. It only happens after swimming. Anyone else experience that before ?"

I have. It seems to me that I was told it was becasue I was rolling to much in the water. kinda of like rocking in a boat. Once I learned to keep my body straight and just turn my head, I no longer had that problem. That is what worked for me at least!

Day 4 of my 20 week plan for my Olympic. I kind of hate to start the season off with an Olympic, but that the ways it goes. Day 4 was peachy for me!

Edited by jford2309 2008-12-04 11:51 PM
2008-12-05 1:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

James: that makes sense. My daughter complains of this everytime she swims and she does get motion sickness!!

5 out of 5 peaches for me. Today 3km swim and yesterday bike and swim.  Keep up the good work everyone

2008-12-05 7:26 AM

User image

Hudson Valley, NY
Okay, I got me peach today, but last night is a questionable one.  I only managed just over 27 minutes before the inability to breath through my nose and knee pain was too much.  I'll let you guys decide if it counts or not.  On the plus side if it wasn't for this peach challenge I probably would have taken this whole week off from training.  So I'm very happy that there is the peach challenge this month. 
2008-12-05 9:47 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I am not worrying about time. My plan for my OLY training I got from BT.COM sometimes only calls for a 26 minute swim or run so far, and I am counting them. I am putting in a good effort, so you bet your azz I am counting them.

So in my opininon, if you consider it a workout, it's a workout. This is your trainng, not ours, we are just here to make sure you are working towards your goals!

2008-12-05 10:30 AM

User image

Did our spin class today it was a heavy session got one heck of a workout out of it and i have a 5k race tommorrow.

I'm doing all the training and racing with my mind on one of my family members(sister) which at 10pm eastern time yesterday went in for a liver transplant and as i type this which the time right now it is 11:28 eastern time in jersey and she still in surgery we don't know what's going on but tommorrow i'll be running for her.
2008-12-05 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1839744

User image

Regular
Omaha, Nebraska
jford2309 - 2008-12-04 11:50 PM

"I have noticed that after swimming for awhile I feel a bit nauseous and dizzy. After a little tme I feel fine. Not sure if it is from swallowing water, since I do a little bit, or just getting my breathing rythm down that will help.  I can push hard running and biking and never feel that way. It only happens after swimming. Anyone else experience that before ?"

I have. It seems to me that I was told it was becasue I was rolling to much in the water. kinda of like rocking in a boat. Once I learned to keep my body straight and just turn my head, I no longer had that problem. That is what worked for me at least!

Day 4 of my 20 week plan for my Olympic. I kind of hate to start the season off with an Olympic, but that the ways it goes. Day 4 was peachy for me!

Thanks james. I will try that out next time ( this saturday !) and see how the 'ol stomach does. That would be great if thats all it is.

Mark

2008-12-05 6:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Joseph; our thoughts are with you and your sister and hope everything goes to plan. Good luck tomorrow.

James I agree the time isn't the deciding factor but how you rate the session does.

I'm at peachy day 6 and am about to head out for a 2 hour bike ride - attempt number 2!! Got up early and headed out on my bike and the gears kept slipping and I couldn't get it sorted so ended up spending an hour in the bike shop BUT she is good to go again. This now means I will be riding in the middle of the day in heat but hey you can't have everything

2008-12-05 11:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

2 hour bike ride TICK!!!

Can't say I enjoyed today too much. My back is sore and I felt every bump today. It was windy (my pet HATE!!), rained and was hot and humid.  I'm glad I got it done but it was a bit of a chore today.

Well earned peach number 6

How is everyone else getting on??

Joseph how did your 5k go today?? I hope your sister is doing well xx

2008-12-06 4:15 AM
in reply to: #1841509

User image

mmh - 2008-12-05 11:52 PM

2 hour bike ride TICK!!!

Can't say I enjoyed today too much. My back is sore and I felt every bump today. It was windy (my pet HATE!!), rained and was hot and humid.  I'm glad I got it done but it was a bit of a chore today.

Well earned peach number 6

How is everyone else getting on??

Joseph how did your 5k go today?? I hope your sister is doing well xx

Thank you so much mmh: first off my sister is resting now, she went through a 12 hour procedure a slight complication arose, but was handled quickly she's a fighter. As for my 5k today it's a bit cold out there but i feel real good i'm running with an extra bounce today. Looking for a PB. No ipods or Mp3s today so here's my chance to listen to my breathing and to listen to everything else that's going on around me. Hey 4 hours before race time and i'm already up and raring to go.

2008-12-06 10:48 AM

User image

Well group I'm back from my 5k: It was cold out there but as the race proceeded it got better.
Today i had PB of 27:22. It was a crowded got myself shuffled around it took about a half mile to get through the mass just to find a good pace. I calculated the pace and it says an 8.83 can someone help me out on that one. First mile was just trying to find my pace and secure myself for a position where it would not be so crowded and an added bonus there was a downhill in that first mile so i piked up some speed. heading into the 2nd mile all flat i felt good just trying to stay at a decent pace and heading into the 3rd mile i just stay at a steadied pace and the last 200yards pickit up and finish strong.
2008-12-06 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1840373

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
chili0552 - 2008-12-05 1:15 PM

jford2309 - 2008-12-04 11:50 PM

"I have noticed that after swimming for awhile I feel a bit nauseous and dizzy. After a little tme I feel fine. Not sure if it is from swallowing water, since I do a little bit, or just getting my breathing rythm down that will help. I can push hard running and biking and never feel that way. It only happens after swimming. Anyone else experience that before ?"

Thanks james. I will try that out next time ( this saturday !) and see how the 'ol stomach does. That would be great if thats all it is.

Mark

GAH!!!!! No No No!!!!! AS FAR FROM THE BEST TECHNIQUE AS POSSIBLE!!!!

The reason why olympic swimmers are so fast is because they have very little drag. If Michael Phelps and I switched muscular physique, he'd still beat me because I drag too much - he can kick faster than I can swim.

You get dizzy because your HEAD is turning too much. Your eyes should be focusing towards the bottom of the pool for as long as you can. Your body should keep rotating while your face points to the bottom. When you need a breath, then make your head turn at the same timing as your shoulders. If you breathe every three strokes instead of 2 or 1 (which I sometimes do), you become less dizzy.

I stress this because rotating your shoulders more keeps more of your body out of the water, and therefore less drag. The effect is not that noticeable, unless you start counting your strokes. You will find you are taking one or two less strokes for every 50m (which makes a lot of difference).

Now for my update:
I'm out with a motor vehicle accident. Said motor vehicle was actually a bumper car. For the future, whenever you are in a bumper car, don't twist your body to look around you. Just live with the lack of visibility... because when someone hits you while twisted, more vertebrae crunch than you'd expect.
2008-12-06 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1840373

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
hmmm... double post. That's my first one.

Edited by So Fresh So Clean 2008-12-06 3:53 PM
2008-12-06 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1841768

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

joseph-63 - 2008-12-06 11:48 AM Well group I'm back from my 5k: It was cold out there but as the race proceeded it got better. Today i had PB of 27:22. It was a crowded got myself shuffled around it took about a half mile to get through the mass just to find a good pace. I calculated the pace and it says an 8.83 can someone help me out on that one. First mile was just trying to find my pace and secure myself for a position where it would not be so crowded and an added bonus there was a downhill in that first mile so i piked up some speed. heading into the 2nd mile all flat i felt good just trying to stay at a decent pace and heading into the 3rd mile i just stay at a steadied pace and the last 200yards pickit up and finish strong.

Congrats on the PB, Jose!  When you enter the info into the training log, it'll calculate the pace weird in the form, (base 100 instead of 60 for seconds) but should give you the proper time when you look at the saved version.  Yours now says you were running 8:50/mi - awesome!

If you're just looking for a pace calculator to plan splits or calculate pace you're not going to enter into the log, I use the one on Cool Running here: http://tinyurl.com/pacecalc

2008-12-06 4:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats on your PB Joseph and glad to hear your sister is resting well.

2008-12-06 5:48 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

as I said...

"Once I learned to keep my body straight and just turn my head, I no longer had that problem. That is what worked for me at least!"

2008-12-06 8:29 PM

Veteran
Silver member

Grats on the PB Joseph!

Hope everyone is getting over their colds/recovering nicely. My cold is almost gone, just some minor coughing fits now and then  

Good day today! Got up this morning and did some swimming drills, rested in the whirlpool for about 15 minutes, then did my spin class.  Grabbed some lunch and headed out to the Baldwin Trail (old railroad track they paved over to make a bike track). Nice and cool today with little wind so it was a good day to get outside and ride. I love Florida weather!

Then went to an SEC championship party with some friends. BCS should be interesting now that #1 got knocked off.

Now I'm going to soak my legs in a hot tub and have a glass of Pinot!

Peachy points for the week:798

USAT Challenge: 150 miles biked, 7.5 miles run, 2k yds swam (need to get those swimming and run distances up).

Edited by jaxbamf73 2008-12-06 8:30 PM
2008-12-06 8:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peach day 7 went to plan with a 1:20 run
2008-12-06 10:53 PM

User image

Regular
Omaha, Nebraska

Today was a good day...

I started reading a new book from terry Laughlin "triathlon swiimming made easy" and it really helped. I always knew I was ignorant of swimming technique, and this book was great. He writes in a way I can easily understand. After just reading a few chapters I went swimming today and did 1000 yds and I could feel a big difference. I also stopped rolling so much and that has helped stop the dizziness. Thanks James ! Then it ended with my weekly weigh in and I lost 2 lbs.

Joseph-Glad to hear your sister is resting well.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » lkagop's Training Group Rss Feed  

of 33