of 137

2009-02-13 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1960353

User image

Master
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL
Newtons1st - 2009-02-13 9:41 AM

Yes Ladies and Gentleman it is Friday the 13th, get your scary on. I have a date with the Mrs. tonight and will be heading to the theater to see the latest installment of the all time greatest slasher series of Friday the 13th. The wife loves it more than I do so what every makes momma happy.

On a sour note I noticed a small puddle of fluid under my fluid trianer last night. So I cut my session short. Will be giving cyclops a call today. It isnt a new one but I have heard they will replace so we will see. Maybe an issue will come up today around 3 that I will have to leave work and be forced to have a nice outdoor rider, hhmmmmm. Whats the best short term excuss to skip out?

What a bummer about the trainer!  Sorry to hear.  I've heard great things about their customer service, regardless of how old/new your trainer is.  My fingers are crossed for you!!!  Let us know what happens.

2009-02-13 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1960472

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-02-13 9:22 AM
Newtons1st - 2009-02-13 8:41 AM

Yes Ladies and Gentleman it is Friday the 13th, get your scary on. I have a date with the Mrs. tonight and will be heading to the theater to see the latest installment of the all time greatest slasher series of Friday the 13th. The wife loves it more than I do so what every makes momma happy.

On a sour note I noticed a small puddle of fluid under my fluid trianer last night. So I cut my session short. Will be giving cyclops a call today. It isnt a new one but I have heard they will replace so we will see. Maybe an issue will come up today around 3 that I will have to leave work and be forced to have a nice outdoor rider, hhmmmmm. Whats the best short term excuss to skip out?

Sorry about the trainer problem...keep us posted, as I too own a cyclops - which was bought used - and would like to know if they carry some type of warranty.

The new 13th flick looks better than the original... We're not much into the scary movies - but I am curious if they did it justice from the original.

Best skip out excuse... Appointments are always good... Dentist, Dr., even Vet... Good luck and I hope you have a good ride...  I may be feeling a little in need of an appt this afternoon myself!

The warrenty says for original owner only. I will be telling them that I got it as a Christmas give a few years back and not off Ebay as some may think I did.......

I will let you know how it goes.

2009-02-13 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Hey KelliD- if you're going to get both eventually anyway, I would start wit the aerobars, that way you can practice on them for longer.  Wetsuits don't take much getting used to, but those aerobars take some practice.  As long as you have both by race time, I think the wiser early investment is the bars.  Descending on those babies takes balls of steel when you're first learning how to do it.
2009-02-13 1:01 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Called Cycleops and they we pretty cool. I said it was leaking they gave me an RA# and said send back the resistance part and keep the stand. No Qs asked. So far so good.
2009-02-13 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1961028

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!

Newtons1st - 2009-02-13 1:01 PM Called Cycleops and they we pretty cool. I said it was leaking they gave me an RA# and said send back the resistance part and keep the stand. No Qs asked. So far so good.

Nice to know...sounds like a good company...so far!

2009-02-13 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1960996

User image

Nicole83 - 2009-02-13 12:46 PM Hey KelliD- if you're going to get both eventually anyway, I would start wit the aerobars, that way you can practice on them for longer.  Wetsuits don't take much getting used to, but those aerobars take some practice.  As long as you have both by race time, I think the wiser early investment is the bars.  Descending on those babies takes balls of steel when you're first learning how to do it.

I definitely see the logic in that.  Kelli - will they aeros be attached to regular road bars or a bull horn (tri bar) set up? 

Descending in the pads... depends on the descent I guess - I ain't scared of much, but 30+mph on an <8% grade in the pads is enough to scare the ba-jesus out of me.  Straight maybe...any turns at all...and I am up and caressing the brakes.  Watching the Tour every year - those freaks-o-nature going 60+ down the back side of Alp D'Ueze (sp?)...complete lunacy.  If you go down... Nothing but red mist and memories baby!   

2009-02-13 1:34 PM
in reply to: #1961086

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-02-13 2:31 PM

Nicole83 - 2009-02-13 12:46 PM Hey KelliD- if you're going to get both eventually anyway, I would start wit the aerobars, that way you can practice on them for longer.  Wetsuits don't take much getting used to, but those aerobars take some practice.  As long as you have both by race time, I think the wiser early investment is the bars.  Descending on those babies takes balls of steel when you're first learning how to do it.

I definitely see the logic in that.  Kelli - will they aeros be attached to regular road bars or a bull horn (tri bar) set up? 

Descending in the pads... depends on the descent I guess - I ain't scared of much, but 30+mph on an <8% grade in the pads is enough to scare the ba-jesus out of me.  Straight maybe...any turns at all...and I am up and caressing the brakes.  Watching the Tour every year - those freaks-o-nature going 60+ down the back side of Alp D'Ueze (sp?)...complete lunacy.  If you go down... Nothing but red mist and memories baby!   

Haha, yah, I'm STILL scared to turn on my pads, and I've been riding with them for at least 2 years now.  But I'm a big 'fraidy cat.

2009-02-13 1:54 PM
in reply to: #1961086

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-02-13 1:31 PM

If you go down... Nothing but red mist and memories baby!   

Is it bad I chuckled at that saying?

2009-02-13 2:16 PM
in reply to: #1961028

User image

Master
New York, NY

Newtons1st - 2009-02-13 2:01 PM Called Cycleops and they we pretty cool. I said it was leaking they gave me an RA# and said send back the resistance part and keep the stand. No Qs asked. So far so good.

That's awesome!

2009-02-13 2:23 PM
in reply to: #1960996

User image

Master
New York, NY

Nicole83 - 2009-02-13 1:46 PM Hey KelliD- if you're going to get both eventually anyway, I would start wit the aerobars, that way you can practice on them for longer.  Wetsuits don't take much getting used to, but those aerobars take some practice.  As long as you have both by race time, I think the wiser early investment is the bars.  Descending on those babies takes balls of steel when you're first learning how to do it.

This thought crossed my mind as well.  I'm not even close to having balls of steel, so I can use all the getting used to time & practice that I can get! 

I honestly haven't even started looking at aero bars yet, so I don't know what kind of set up I'll get.  Any recommendations?

2009-02-13 3:04 PM
in reply to: #1961229

User image

Master
Houston

There are 2 main styles of bars that I know of.. S-bend and jammers. Which one you choose really depends on what's more comfortable for you.  I personally have the s-bend ones below because it's more comfortable for me to lay my wrists down rather than back...

S-bend
http://www.trisports.com/prdet2pl.html

Jammers
http://trisports.com/profdesaer.html

They also have some spring loaded versions of both of those which are supposed to get the pads out of the way for hill climbing but being in Houston I've never used or seen them in person  

You will have to adjust controlling the bike in that position because it is a different feel since your arms are closer together and you're no longer turning your front wheel with your hands.  Just takes some practice then it's well like riding a bike

The further out your bars are the more control you'll have and more room for your chest which should allow for easier breathing. The closer the bars, generally the more aero so it's a balancing act that a bike fitter should be able to help you solve better than I!

KelliD - 2009-02-13 2:23 PM

This thought crossed my mind as well.  I'm not even close to having balls of steel, so I can use all the getting used to time & practice that I can get! 

I honestly haven't even started looking at aero bars yet, so I don't know what kind of set up I'll get.  Any recommendations?

2009-02-13 8:07 PM

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN

2 things!

First the new issue of Traithlete reviews like 32 wetsuits

and I cut 5 min off my  5k time so I'm at 40 flat.  I'm pretty sure I can go faster too!!!

2009-02-14 3:40 PM
in reply to: #1961669

User image

Epyon - 2009-02-13 8:07 PM

2 things!

First the new issue of Traithlete reviews like 32 wetsuits

and I cut 5 min off my  5k time so I'm at 40 flat.  I'm pretty sure I can go faster too!!!

Way to go...that is a significant time cut!  The training does pay off - it's not just fluff!

2009-02-14 3:54 PM

User image

From a thread I read on Slowtwitch... I thought it would be kinda cool to see what y'all think on this topic.

Favorite Motivational Quote(s) - something that may inspire you when you are trying to get through that tough spot in a race or even life.

For training (I have several) but here is the one I recently added to my sig line... "I do today what you won't, so I can do tomorrow, what you can't." 

For everyday living... "It's not the years in the life that count.  It's the life in the years."     A. Lincoln

Favorite Training Movie/tv show - while on the trainer or something you feel you need to watch before a race / long workout, etc.

IMWC 2006 - a good battle...with Macca finishing second.  Rudy is always a good choice too.

Favorite "Make me wanna kick some booty" music - (what's on your Ipod that gets you motivated?)

The battle theme from Gladitor... 10 minutes before a race [cuz its 10minutes long] (like the marathon) does the trick.  Regular gym workouts... ACDC - Back in Black and GnR - Appetite for Destruction... Good weightlifting, ab crunching, spin bike kinda stuff...

2009-02-15 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1962350

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

I love reading other's answers to these sorts of things...

For me:

Favorite Motivational Quote-
I don't really do quotes- I typically do song lyrics.  "Don't stop believe'n" is on the top of that list.

Favorite Training Movie/Tv Show- Alias.  Hands down.  I love Jennifer Garner.

Favorite "make me wanna kick some booty" music- Disturbed "Down with the Sickness", Slipknot "Duality", and pretty much anything by Linkin Park.   I promise, I'm not an angry person on the inside.  

2009-02-16 8:41 AM
in reply to: #1962949

User image

Nicole83 - 2009-02-15 8:47 AM

I love reading other's answers to these sorts of things...

Favorite "make me wanna kick some booty" music- Disturbed "Down with the Sickness", Slipknot "Duality", and pretty much anything by Linkin Park.   I promise, I'm not an angry person on the inside.

Damn...is it Monday already?  Good Monday morning...glad to see the AM workouts on this fine first day of the work week! 

Oh yeah...love me some of that!  Pre Race car ride if filled with LP... My all time favorite...get my mind right, pump you up song is Faint by LP. 

I too enjoy the brief glimpse into other's answers... I like to see how different and/or similar others are with me.

Edited by Tri_n_2_b_fast 2009-02-16 8:42 AM

2009-02-16 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Happy Monday Morning everyone.
I had very successful weekend of transition practice.  I practiced the flying bike mount about 15 times and they all went pretty well. It was alot easier than I had thought. Of course my neighbors came out and asked if I was ok since they saw me trying to get on the bike multiple times. The only issue I had was getting my shoes back on after the bike. I need to get the elastic quick laces.

2009-02-16 11:37 AM
in reply to: #1964158

User image

Newtons1st - 2009-02-16 8:55 AM Happy Monday Morning everyone.
I had very successful weekend of transition practice.  I practiced the flying bike mount about 15 times and they all went pretty well. It was alot easier than I had thought. Of course my neighbors came out and asked if I was ok since they saw me trying to get on the bike multiple times. The only issue I had was getting my shoes back on after the bike. I need to get the elastic quick laces.

Do you leave your bike shoes clicked into your pedals before you mount and after dismount?  Most people (I think that is a fair generalization) run with their bike shoes on.  I personally leave them clipped in on/off the bike.

Elastic shoe laces... I have tried the Yanks! brand and the speedlaces brand.  The speedlaces brand with their attachable eyelets are the best I have used Hands Down!.  They mimic the type Zoot has on their shoes.  They are a little more money...maybe $12 for the laces and eyelets, but I think they are well worth it. 

2009-02-16 12:54 PM
in reply to: #1964526

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-02-16 11:37 AM

Do you leave your bike shoes clicked into your pedals before you mount and after dismount?  Most people (I think that is a fair generalization) run with their bike shoes on.  I personally leave them clipped in on/off the bike.

Elastic shoe laces... I have tried the Yanks! brand and the speedlaces brand.  The speedlaces brand with their attachable eyelets are the best I have used Hands Down!.  They mimic the type Zoot has on their shoes.  They are a little more money...maybe $12 for the laces and eyelets, but I think they are well worth it. 

I was leaving the shoes clipped in and had rubber bands holding them horizontal. Run, jump on, pedal, slip one foot in, pedal, slip other foot in, pedal more.

I will look at the laces thanks.  

2009-02-17 8:30 AM

User image

1 down...4 to go!  Good Tuesday morning.  Has anyone been watching any of the Tour of California coverage on Versus?  The conditions these guys were riding in yesterday... 52 degrees, heavy rain, and traveling 30mph... Hard core!

Tuesday perspective:

Our fearless mentor is pretty darn fast on the ol' bike...I know, he passed me like 46 tmes doing a loop at our park... he posts his wattage/output...282 I think is what he listed.  Just to put it into perspective... Levi Lepinheimer, Lance and the like - are pushing 420+ average.  And they weigh several pounds less than us.  I can't imagine that kind of speed/power.  It's like being lapped by a Kenyan on a half marathon course here in Houston.  It's hard to appreciate how fast a sub 5min mile is until he passes yoiu, and you hang with him for less than a second before he is then out of sight.  Just when you think, hey I am in pretty good shape, I think I am getting pretty fast...then you are kindly knocked back to planet earth by these machine like athletes.

2009-02-17 8:49 AM
in reply to: #1962350

User image

Master
Houston

Geez I've been way behind, here's mine...

Favorite Motivational Quote(s) - something that may inspire you when you are trying to get through that tough spot in a race or even life.

Before I start a workout... "Go hard or go home" 
In a race when hurting... "Pain doesn't last as long as regret"

Favorite Training Movie/tv show - while on the trainer or something you feel you need to watch before a race / long workout, etc.

I don't really do much on the trainer but before a race, even for the 1/2 marathon, I normally watch a couple of the previous worlds clearwater/kona the day before. 

Favorite "Make me wanna kick some booty" music - (what's on your Ipod that gets you motivated?)

Linkin park, metallica (any of them but especially fade to black),  bush (machine head), GnR welcome to the jungle just to name a few

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-02-14 3:54 PM

From a thread I read on Slowtwitch... I thought it would be kinda cool to see what y'all think on this topic.

For training (I have several) but here is the one I recently added to my sig line... "I do today what you won't, so I can do tomorrow, what you can't." 

For everyday living... "It's not the years in the life that count.  It's the life in the years."     A. Lincoln

IMWC 2006 - a good battle...with Macca finishing second.  Rudy is always a good choice too.

The battle theme from Gladitor... 10 minutes before a race [cuz its 10minutes long] (like the marathon) does the trick.  Regular gym workouts... ACDC - Back in Black and GnR - Appetite for Destruction... Good weightlifting, ab crunching, spin bike kinda stuff...

2009-02-17 8:56 AM
in reply to: #1964526

User image

Master
Houston

I need to learn how to do this! I'm not going to try it out in NO but definitely want to start practicing it and try it out on a few of my sprints this year.

2009-02-17 9:06 AM
in reply to: #1965970

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

I think my attempting this would result in me ending up being a big giant pile of SPLAT on the side of the road.

evondo - 2009-02-17 9:56 AM

I need to learn how to do this! I'm not going to try it out in NO but definitely want to start practicing it and try it out on a few of my sprints this year.

2009-02-17 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1965904

User image

Master
Houston

Happy Tuesday! I can't even imagine biking in the rain much less going 30mph in the rain, crazy crazy people. Now that I think of it I've wakeboarded in the rain with the boat going 20mph and that hurt bad.

That's one of the things I love about this sport, no matter how good you get there's always someone better, unless you're Chrissie Wellington

To give you an idea on how good these pros are... all that really matters on the bike is W/kg and there is a chart that goes through the ranges to be a cat1-5 rider, then it goes on to moderate and finally poor. When I started training with the powertap 6months ago, I was in the bottom of the poor category. I'm happy to report that now I'm solidly in the middle of the moderate category, maybe I'll break into cat5 by the end of the year

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-02-17 8:30 AM

1 down...4 to go!  Good Tuesday morning.  Has anyone been watching any of the Tour of California coverage on Versus?  The conditions these guys were riding in yesterday... 52 degrees, heavy rain, and traveling 30mph... Hard core!

Tuesday perspective:

Our fearless mentor is pretty darn fast on the ol' bike...I know, he passed me like 46 tmes doing a loop at our park... he posts his wattage/output...282 I think is what he listed.  Just to put it into perspective... Levi Lepinheimer, Lance and the like - are pushing 420+ average.  And they weigh several pounds less than us.  I can't imagine that kind of speed/power.  It's like being lapped by a Kenyan on a half marathon course here in Houston.  It's hard to appreciate how fast a sub 5min mile is until he passes yoiu, and you hang with him for less than a second before he is then out of sight.  Just when you think, hey I am in pretty good shape, I think I am getting pretty fast...then you are kindly knocked back to planet earth by these machine like athletes.

2009-02-17 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1965987

User image

Master
Houston

Want to be a star on youtube?

Nicole83 - 2009-02-17 9:06 AM

I think my attempting this would result in me ending up being a big giant pile of SPLAT on the side of the road.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137