General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Timberman - Half Iron : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-06-07 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2905654

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron : Official Thread

sjwwebster - 2010-06-07 1:57 PM Congrat's John sounds like a tough race, well done look forward to reading the report!

Sounds like everyone's training is coming along nicely, good job all round.  Did my first 1.2 mile swim at Navesink last weekend, it was a lot of fun and I now know I can do that distance which was the main reason for doing the race. This past weekend was the first real heat/humidity to hit NYC and it was a different ball game to train in. I did 45 at on the bike with my club at a decent click on Saturday and a ~6 mile urn on Sunday that hurt a lot, it very windy hot and humid. Got me thinking about running 13 in the heat in NH. I'm thinking some of Sam's 40 bike + 8 run bricks are in my very near future, just not as fast! 
Hey Simon, the Navesink last weekend was my first 1.2 OWS as well.  I would have loved to say, "Hello."  I did get to introduce myself to Denise, though.  I was volunteering at check-in and her name sounded so familiar.  Next time you are doing a NJ event, let us Jersey Peeps know!

Wait just a minute--I checked in everyone with last initial S-Z, so apparently we did meet, LOL.

Edited by jtrezza 2010-06-07 1:32 PM

2010-06-07 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2905775

User image

Veteran
jtrezza - 2010-06-07 2:30 PM

sjwwebster - 2010-06-07 1:57 PM Congrat's John sounds like a tough race, well done look forward to reading the report!

Sounds like everyone's training is coming along nicely, good job all round.  Did my first 1.2 mile swim at Navesink last weekend, it was a lot of fun and I now know I can do that distance which was the main reason for doing the race. This past weekend was the first real heat/humidity to hit NYC and it was a different ball game to train in. I did 45 at on the bike with my club at a decent click on Saturday and a ~6 mile urn on Sunday that hurt a lot, it very windy hot and humid. Got me thinking about running 13 in the heat in NH. I'm thinking some of Sam's 40 bike + 8 run bricks are in my very near future, just not as fast! 
Hey Simon, the Navesink last weekend was my first 1.2 OWS as well.  I would have loved to say, "Hello."  I did get to introduce myself to Denise, though.  I was volunteering at check-in and her name sounded so familiar.  Next time you are doing a NJ event, let us Jersey Peeps know!

Wait just a minute--I checked in everyone with last initial S-Z, so apparently we did meet, LOL.

Hey Jacqueline - it's possible we did meet! Laughing 

My next scheduled race is actually in NJ, the LavaMan which is a pretty short sprint affair so it should be a lot of fun. Let me know if you do that one.  I am toying with the idea of doing the SBR sprint this weekend..final decision tomorrow. I *love* the SBR sprint, even the 1.5 mile uphill has something to enjoy about it. Oh wait, it must be the ~1.5 mile downhill before it!

2010-06-08 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2463034

Regular
Yeah, we all made it through the Nav-E-Sink swim and know we can do the distance. It was great running into you Jackie. I hope everyone's training is going well. I am trying to put in some bike and swim miles while I rest the leg. I think I will go back to the ortho. and see about this baker's cyst. I am realy beginning to think it is a minescus tear that did not show up on the MRI. It looks like it will be nice weather this weekend in Jersey for racing or training. ENJOY!!!
2010-06-12 10:36 AM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
If my calculations are correct, we are only 10 weeks away from Timberman!

How is everything shaping up?

I just did my 2nd HIM of the season last weekend not far from Timberman @ Mooseman on Newfound Lake. Went 17 mins faster on a much hillier course than I did @ Timberman last year, so I am gunning to bust up my time from last year.

Finishing my recovery this weekend, then its GO time for the next 10 weeks.

Happy training!
2010-06-12 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2917347

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Jon, great work on the AWESOME improvement at Mooseman, that's a real good jump in one year, shows how much work you've been putting in.

My training the last few months hasn't been anywhere near what I wanted it to be but that was because of a running injury.  I now seem to be over the issue (knock on wood) so I'm increasing distance on the run week-to-week while just trying to keep my good swim/bike fitness.  I still think despite the injury I can put up a very good effort in what will be my first HIM, my bike has improved leaps and bounds over last year and I feel SO much better in the water, it's really going to come down to how strong I can get in the next two months on the run but seeing as how I had 40+ mpw not too long ago I think I'll be fine.

These next few months are gonna be fun!
2010-06-13 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
After an *easy* recovery few days, I'm back in the saddle and in the run shoes.  (swim resumes this week) ....   had no guilt whatsoever taking 3 days off after the brutal HIM this past weekend.

Will be @ lavaman for sunday morning with the family ... looks like we have at least one other BTer coming down ....

I did lavaman last year - what great race .... warm calm swim in bay, 3 loop bike but still managed a fast time .... and nice 1 loop run. very spectator friendly.  staying @ a hotel 4 blocks from transition so I will walk down to race and family can get a little extra sleep.

Edited by MillMan221 2010-06-13 8:18 AM

2010-06-13 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
Hello. I am behind in keeping up with our thread and I hope to get caught up soon. It looks like some good things are happening with all of you. To add to the good news reel...

I did a first year event yesterday...small...117 people...short (400yd/11.75mi/3.1mi), but fun as heck.

My intention was to win it. I know that sounds boastful, but when it's this short, with few participants (most of them new), and a first year event...I had a chance. I am happy with how I did, but a MUCH faster person than I won and I earned 2nd.  He ran a sub 16-min. 5k.  I couldn't do that when I was trying to in the mid-90's in an open 5k. 

Anyway, here is the race report.  The times may be a little off because I didn't see transition times in my results.  They might be combined...or just missing.

Ok, Maggie is calling me to watch New Moon.

Here is the link:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=212678 

Peace,
~Sam
2010-06-13 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2906048

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

sjwwebster - 2010-06-07 3:39 PM My next scheduled race is actually in NJ, the LavaMan which is a pretty short sprint affair so it should be a lot of fun. Let me know if you do that one. 

MillMan221 - 2010-06-13 9:16 AM  Will be @ lavaman for sunday morning with the family ... looks like we have at least one other BTer coming down ....

I won't be racing Lavaman, but I might be spectating.  My husband is registered to race it as part of his Father's Day weekend festivities.  I mapped out a nice century ride for him to get down to the shore, so he's taking off Friday for the trip down and the kids and I will be riding SAG support.  I'll recognize John, and look for Simon's smiling avatar!

2010-06-13 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2918242

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

MillMan221 - 2010-06-13 9:16 AM After an *easy* recovery few days, I'm back in the saddle and in the run shoes.  (swim resumes this week) ....   had no guilt whatsoever taking 3 days off after the brutal HIM this past weekend.
 Congrats John, I'd love to read the race report.

2010-06-14 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2919011

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Sam, another fantastic race, congrats on 2nd!  not much you can do when someone's throwing down a 16 minute 5K--not to mention the fastest swim and bike split as well--but then again a sub-6 pace after a 22+ mph bike is ridiculous as well so if I were in this race I'd be talking about the guys who threw down the sub-hour totals.  Awesome work.

I did 90 miles on the bike yesterday, easy effort just to get big miles in the legs in preparation for the B2B this Saturday (150 mile ride from Boston, MA to Windsor, VT that includes some big climbs and lots and lots of moderate rolling hills).  Can't wait for the ride this year, I was dreading it last year because it was my first year of riding (hell, I only had about four months of bike training under my belt at the time), but this year I'm just excited for the event. 

After that I'm going to focus on building the run base again, I'd like to get to a long run of 15 miles and weekly miles in the low-30's.  First race of the season isn't until mid-July so the next 4 weeks will just be base building. 
2010-06-15 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
It looks like a lot of great things are happening.

Thanks for the kudos regarding my race.

Keep it up everyone!

2010-06-16 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Same - way to go!

Brownie - glad you are getting stronger every day!

Link to Rev3 Quassy RR:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=213195

Hope that works.!
2010-06-16 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2925219

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

MillMan221 - 2010-06-16 10:58 AM Same - way to go!

Brownie - glad you are getting stronger every day!

Link to Rev3 Quassy RR:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=213195

Hope that works.!
Nice race John--4,000 ft of climbing on the bike is cruel.  I had a similar training ride last Saturday (65 miles w/ 4500 ft climbing) and felt fine, but no way did I feel I could handle a 1/2 mary immediately after.  I would love any info on how you fueled on the bike: what did you carry, what did you take from the course, did you have a particular nutrition plan?  Did you really eat and drink at every aid station on the run?  I am hungry for info this close to Timberman.

2010-06-16 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
John-

Just got done reading your race report! Fantastic job!  Very inspiring.  It sounds like an awesome course...in a twisted kind of way.

It's funny you mentioned the name on the transition.  I forgot about that from the Knoxville Rev3 event I did and I wished I had taken that with me.

Anyway, thank you for sharing.  Glad you were in your car when the rains came as well.

Peace,
~Sam
2010-06-16 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Great work and great race John! That sounds like a very tough race and you managed it very well.

Glad to see everyone is ticking along nicely - great to hear swim and bike going so well Brownie. Fingers crossed the legs hold up for you to do to some decent running.

Booked my campsite for Lavaman today so it will be a family trip on Saturday to stay overnight close to the race and a short trip the next day. Really looking forward to it!
2010-06-16 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks all.  I had a lot of fun and got valuable experience ... seven hours worth lol.

Jackie - here was my plan for eating/hydration:

bike:  I wanted to get 16 oz of fluid, 300-350 cal, and 50-60 grams of carbs per hour on the bike.  I figured on three hours and stocked accordingly.  All this was based on a lot of research and experimenting on the bike in training.

Each hour I planned on one (16-20 oz) water bottle containing an Endurance mix (www.amino-vital.com) which had 30 g carbs plus 150 or so calories and amino acids.  I added two Endurolyte capsules into each of the three bottles, mixed these the nite before in the hotel.

I took opened three packets of Powerbar gel blasts (each 200 cal, 40 carbs) and put into bento box. 

Race morning I put filled my aerobottle using almost all of one mixed bottle and chugged the rest.
[Highly recommend an aerobottle as i feel clumsy reaching for a bottle from downtube or seatback. Best $18.99 I ever spent.]

I waiting for 10-15 minutes on bike before drinking, and 25-30 minutes before eating the gel blasts, kept count of how many I had eaten with a goal of about 9 pieces per hour (one packet).  As I finished my aerobottle I dumped more of the mix from the bottles into it.

I used Poland Spring bottled water with the flip top caps from the grocery store for my water bottles since I didnt want to toss out my "good" water bottles.  This worked fine except they were narrower then my seatback bottle holder and i ended up ejecting one.

I did grab a bottle of Cerasport from the first aid station and had half of it.  I heard people didnt like it, but I found it OK.  I also grabbed a big bottle of water at one aid station, drink some, dumped some on my head and didnt finish it.

I did end up eating almost all of my powerbar blasts, and nearly 3 bottles worth of liquid.  It was cool (low 70's) so I didnt "feel" too much sweat over the 3.5+ hours.

Finally, on the run, yes I did have water/pepsi at probably 8 or 9 aid stations.  Towards the end at 11 I think, they were out of water, so I grabbed a cup of ice.  The effort to chew and run at the same time seemed too much, so I ended up holding ice cubes in my hand, and rubbing them on my arms.  It's tough to explain, but it seemed to be too much effort to eat them...wierd.

Three gels on the run was enough, plus half a banana which was a nice surprise at mile 7 or so.

I ended up feeling "full" but not overly bloated. 

Sorry for long post but hope it was helpful.

2010-06-16 4:07 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
ugh...seems too early for me to be worrying about nutrition/fueling plan, but geez, it's right around the corner, isn't it!! I better get moving.

Well, i did take the tri bike our for a spin finally. I suppose race wheels soon enough.

Obviously I'm not a slave to my training plan (do i even have one?) as i've played soccer the last couple weeks in place of a couple runs. Now I just gotta let the body heal from that.

PS - Saturday early morning ride anyone???

2010-06-22 7:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Hey All, kinda quiet the last week or so.

Walt, glad you finally dusted off the tri bike.

This past weekend I saw jackie and met her hubby, and simon as well at a NJ shore sprint race.

beautiful weather for racing, had the whole family w me and we spent a nice day at the shore.

hope everyone is doing well !!
2010-06-22 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
Quiet indeed...Smile  Here is some "noise".
I participated in the National 24-Hour Challenge this past weekend...though I only stayed for 14.75 hours of it. I met my goals, stopped having fun, and went home to go to bed.
I covered 200+ miles which provided me with more than enough miles to earn my 1000 mile jersey (1000 miles over 6 years of doing the event mind you).
I took Sunday off, swam Monday, and ran today. However, my intention was to run 5 mi EASY. Although I just put EASY in all caps, I really should have "intention" in all caps. You see, the route I chose goes by the local track. I decided I would stop by and do 4x200m at a steady pace just to feel some speed. I figured :40 seconds a pop would be good. Here's how it went:
The first one was in :39...good and comfortable, but I'll do the next one a little faster... :36. Ok, good, now I'll stay controlled but go just a little faster still... :36 again.  Ok, I used to do these in under :30, how about a :30? ... :32.  Dude c'mon! Ok, I'll try again... :31. Ok, ok, call it good.  After this I start jogging home. About a mile in to my 2 mile return, my left hamstring has a short, sharp pain. Whoah! So, I walk for about :40 seconds and start jogging again.  A few minutes later...bam! Same thing. At this point I'm roughly 1/2 a mile from home.  I walked it in. I took an "ice bath," rolled it, etc. I hope it's better by tomorrow...or the next day.
I know, long story.
To make it longer...our lake has been flooding big time with the heavy rains we've been getting. It has also been taking in the runoff from the frickin' farmers' fields. Water high, water quality LOW. So, no more convenient swims out our back door for a bit.
Any-who...just some babbling to...well...babble.
Peace,
~Sam
2010-06-23 8:48 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
I thought maybe my last post about my "lack of motivation" training plan caused everyone to lose motivation themselves and thus be quiet on this thread...

I've picked up my training. Swimming, cycling longer now. Getting out on my P2C is such a lift.

Running...still having my issues. however, i've been talking with some friends who use the Vibram Five-Finger shoes - which are basically coverings for bare feet. They swear by them - setting PR's, and even wearing them in ironman races. So i ran on the soccer field barefeet to get a sense and strangely, my running woes seem to disappear. can't really explain. On the streets, in my running shoes, I feel like my legs can't take the 'pounding', but bare feet, I'm good. Obviously my running form changes. Maybe i need running shoes with alot less heel cushion...racing flats...or those Nike Free shoes.

2010-06-23 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Been hammering the bike this month....run is in the gutter and looking to turn it around...swim has come along nicely for me

Wife signed me up for RI 70.3 on July 11th as a surprise father's day gift.....so now I have more immediate concerns than Timberman

Keep up the good work guys...hammer that bike!  June is the month of biking!...for me anyway

2010-06-23 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Hey all,

Just had 2 days rest after Lavaman on Sunday. It was a really fun race and it was great to meet Jackie, Richard and John afterwards. Glad to see training is coming along for everyone. Here's a race report if you'd like to read.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asptid=214215http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=214215

Sam - you really push it hard brother!

Heading to family wedding then camping with family down in Georgia for 10 days and bringing bike, running shoes and wetsuit for the lakes. I hope to get some good early morning milage in and be back in time to hang with the kids!

Cheers,
S

2010-06-24 7:25 AM

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

Just registered for a nice OWS training opportunity: Steelman in Lake Nockamixon, PA on July 11.  There are 1.5 mi and 3mi options, and friends tell me the water quality is top-notch.  I thought this might interest some of you folks.

Great to see John, Simon and their families at Lavaman.  What a nice little race--it was great fun volunteering.

http://steelmantriathlon.com/ows/index.php

Edited by jtrezza 2010-06-24 7:26 AM
2010-06-24 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA

Wally – Good to hear about the running, there’s so much anecdotal proof around the benefits of barefoot running, hopefully changing shoes / doing barefoot runs in the grass will prove to keep you healthy.  If you do end up getting something like the Free’s just make sure to break them in slooooow.  Running on pavement in shoes like that will take some getting used to.  But from everything I’ve heard and read (no, haven’t tried it myself….yet) it’s a great way to strengthen the foot/ankle/leg muscles and keep you healthy. 

Jay – Good luck at RI 70.3…nothing like your wife blindsiding you with a race to give you a little kick in the training-wise, huh?  (though in your case you certainly don’t need it, that training log is impressive!)

Simon – Looks like an awesome race at Lavaman, congrats!  Putting up 7:35’s in a 4 mi sprint run after doing 7:20’s in an open 3.5 mile race is impressive, good pacing.  I’ve done that ‘run by my rack’ thing…a few times!  No matter how many times you count the rows, visualize the turn, find markers (other bikes, a rock, whatever) it doesn’t mean anything once you’re out on course.  So frustrating!  Great work though.

2010-06-24 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Just did my first outdoor TT and...well, mixed results.  It was a 9.75 mile circle, fairly flat but with a few 50-100 foot rollers.  I somehow managed to miss the one turn on course so my time is moot.  But using the data from my 310XT I 'guesstimated' a finish time of 23:34.  I held 25.2 in the first 6 miles, went off course for four minutes; found my way back then got back into 'race' mode and finished off the 3.75 miles at 24.2.  I never really fully 'pushed' it during that second effort, it's hard to get back into race mode when you know you're time is done, so while I went hard I wouldn't say it was max effort--maybe 90-95%.

All in all I'd say I'm happy with the results (minus my navigation issue).  Watts weren't where I expected them to be but I'm chalking that up to it being a new bike and it being outdoors--on a trainer you don't have to worry about cars, turns, potholes, or even falling.  So yeah, good race, they do it weekly so I'll probbaly get back there at some point, see if I've progressed at all. 

Another race tonight, the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge downtown.  Should be a fun race, I'm probably gonna go 80% for it since I haven't been doing any speed work and am still getting back from the injury.  It'll just be nice to get a running 'race' under my belt, it's been a while!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Timberman - Half Iron : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 41