Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2010-02-25 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2692856

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: Lumber Dad's Group - Closed
Lumber Dad - 2010-02-25 10:18 AM Anyone here do the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon? How about you Lisa?

Was thinking about doing a marathon this year and this one looks interesting. Looks like it would be better than Fox Cities.

I did it last year and I am doing the relay this year.  It is nice and small and flat except that the last 6 miles are downhill which is tough.  It is  a great event for spectators  because there are lots of places to see the race. I highly recommend it.

2010-02-26 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2558347

User image

Regular
Rockford, MI
Back from Disney.  Gained a few pounds.  I've got a 9 mile run on Sat which will be my longest so far.  I've essentially given up on freestyle swimming.  I suck at it, so I'm back to the 3 min/100 yard frog stroke.  I've got to get on the bike...
2010-02-26 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2694763

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
BoredAgent - 2010-02-26 7:47 AM Back from Disney.  Gained a few pounds.  I've got a 9 mile run on Sat which will be my longest so far.  I've essentially given up on freestyle swimming.  I suck at it, so I'm back to the 3 min/100 yard frog stroke.  I've got to get on the bike...

Welcome back! Hope you had a great time.

It took me a while before I could freestyle swim in a tri. Even when I could do it in the pool I would get out in the open water with all the other people and all my form would be lost. So if you are not freestyle swimming in a tri, you will not be the only person out there doing that. What ever gets you out there doing it and having fun.
2010-02-26 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2694763

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
BoredAgent - 2010-02-26 8:47 AM Back from Disney.  Gained a few pounds.  I've got a 9 mile run on Sat which will be my longest so far.  I've essentially given up on freestyle swimming.  I suck at it, so I'm back to the 3 min/100 yard frog stroke.  I've got to get on the bike...

hahaha, how was Disney?  You get any good weather for the week down there?

Don't worry about the swim.  Have you tried taking a lesson or getting the total immersion DVDs?  I just had my first tri swim class yesterday and I have a ton to work on as well.  We're all in the same boat (actually if I was in a boat, I would be floating rather than sinking).
2010-02-26 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2694933

User image

Regular
Rockford, MI
jgerbodegrant - 2010-02-26 9:59 AM
BoredAgent - 2010-02-26 8:47 AM Back from Disney.  Gained a few pounds.  I've got a 9 mile run on Sat which will be my longest so far.  I've essentially given up on freestyle swimming.  I suck at it, so I'm back to the 3 min/100 yard frog stroke.  I've got to get on the bike...

hahaha, how was Disney?  You get any good weather for the week down there?

Don't worry about the swim.  Have you tried taking a lesson or getting the total immersion DVDs?  I just had my first tri swim class yesterday and I have a ton to work on as well.  We're all in the same boat (actually if I was in a boat, I would be floating rather than sinking).

Disney was fun.  I should have brought my winter jacket for the first couple of days.  I wore a long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt and jacket.  30's in the mornings.  Of course, the last day was nice with sun and temps in the 70's.

As for swimming, I think I'll try swimming the way I do and throw in some freestyle.  I've taken lessons - twice.  What I really need is one-on-one or a coach.  I've looked at the total immersion stuff and it seems to me that it assumes you already know how to swim freestyle - which I can't.  My biggest problem is the breathing and the kick.  I can't even swim 25 yards freestyle but I did a quarter mile this morning with my crazy frog style.

Keep up the lessons.  I can't say I didn't learn anything, but I just can't seem to put it all together.

E
2010-02-26 11:59 AM

User image

Regular
Kimberly, WI

Humorous indoor track etiquette question. A walker on the track has the back of his t-shirt tucked into his underwear. It's clearly visible (to me and the 15 others on the track) as the underwear waistband is peaking out over his sweatpants waistline. I'm gonna be lapping this guy 20+ times in the next half hour. Do I let the guy know?

2010-02-26 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2695349

User image

Master
South Alabama

Bored Agent-As for swimming, I think I'll try swimming the way I do and throw in some freestyle.  I've taken lessons - twice.  What I really need is one-on-one or a coach.  I've looked at the total immersion stuff and it seems to me that it assumes you already know how to swim freestyle - which I can't.  My biggest problem is the breathing and the kick.  I can't even swim 25 yards freestyle but I did a quarter mile this morning with my crazy frog style.

The TI book has several basic drills that work on body position-being streamlined in the water.  Not really swimming but working on position.  Many people have improved their swimming by building on the drills.  Drill down and swim back is a good option.  There are alot of good sites with drills and videos.  Or, just do a you tube search for total immersion or freestyle swimming and there will be many good examples.  We all have so many things to "fix" in the beginning.  Dont get overwhelmed-focus on one thing each session and work on it.   Its too hard to make several changes all at the same time. Its a process so give it time.

I started "swimming" about a year ago and I could not make it 25 yards without gasping for air.  Toughest thing for me was breathing.  Find a breathing rhythm you are comfortable with and build from there.  Until last Fall I would breathe to the right every stroke.  Over the winter I worked on bilateral breathing and am now comfortable breathing to either side-it took some time but eventually I got there.  I still breathe every stroke but can do it to either side without concern. Hard to make progress if you are not consistent in the pool-I have made my best progress over the last 5 weeks as I have been averaging 4-5 swims a week.  I dont always look forward to it but its fun to improve at something that once seemed impossible.  Stick with it.  Kind of scary for me to be giving swimming advice so take it for what it is worth

Randy

2010-02-26 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2695444

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
HammerOZZ - 2010-02-26 11:59 AM

Humorous indoor track etiquette question. A walker on the track has the back of his t-shirt tucked into his underwear. It's clearly visible (to me and the 15 others on the track) as the underwear waistband is peaking out over his sweatpants waistline. I'm gonna be lapping this guy 20+ times in the next half hour. Do I let the guy know?

20+ times in a half an hour??? that is a lot of times around a track.  Don't know what you would say to him??
2010-02-26 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Not much going on this weekend for a change   Just a 10 mile training run..kids have swim lessons.  Very uneventful

Have a great weekend everyone!
2010-02-27 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2695444

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
HammerOZZ - 2010-02-26 12:59 PM

NO WAY!  If anything, you've got yourself some serious entertainment! 
2010-02-28 9:02 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
How do you guys stop yourself from running too fast? 

Like I have said before, I'm changing my running form, which is going really well and I feel great for the most part.  The only problem is, when I first start out running my 20 minutes, I can't help but go fast.  I am not really fast in the first place, but for example, I did my run yesterday and was cruising along and looked down at my watch and I had gone .9 miles in about 6:30.  Obviously I'm not supposed to run at this pace, but I feel good, almost like I do running a ten minute mile, four miles into a run.  So what do I do?  I don't want to become a slave to my garmin, checking my pace every three seconds. 

2010-02-28 10:28 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

It can be hard to vary your pace/speed.  I really worked on running slower during my longer runs by keeping my heart rate below a certain level-keeping the workouts in an aerobic zone rather than pushing each workout hard.  At first I really had to slow down to keep my HR at or below 150bpm. It was hard to do as I really had to focus on just slowing down. Eventually my speed picked up but my heart rate stayed in same range.  Everything I read talks about keeping your easy workouts easy and your hard workouts hard. Each run should have a purpose-recovery, tempo......  There are many good books out there that give various paces for different types of runs depending on your current race times.  Jack Daniels (author-not the whiskey) book is very good on this.    

Now on the other hand maybe you are just getting faster-not a bad thing.

Randy

2010-02-28 5:21 PM
in reply to: #2697841

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
jgerbodegrant - 2010-02-28 9:02 AM How do you guys stop yourself from running too fast? 

Like I have said before, I'm changing my running form, which is going really well and I feel great for the most part.  The only problem is, when I first start out running my 20 minutes, I can't help but go fast.  I am not really fast in the first place, but for example, I did my run yesterday and was cruising along and looked down at my watch and I had gone .9 miles in about 6:30.  Obviously I'm not supposed to run at this pace, but I feel good, almost like I do running a ten minute mile, four miles into a run.  So what do I do?  I don't want to become a slave to my garmin, checking my pace every three seconds. 

Why do you think you are going too fast?
2010-02-28 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2697945

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
slornow - 2010-02-28 11:28 AM

It can be hard to vary your pace/speed.  I really worked on running slower during my longer runs by keeping my heart rate below a certain level-keeping the workouts in an aerobic zone rather than pushing each workout hard.  At first I really had to slow down to keep my HR at or below 150bpm. It was hard to do as I really had to focus on just slowing down. Eventually my speed picked up but my heart rate stayed in same range.  Everything I read talks about keeping your easy workouts easy and your hard workouts hard. Each run should have a purpose-recovery, tempo......  There are many good books out there that give various paces for different types of runs depending on your current race times.  Jack Daniels (author-not the whiskey) book is very good on this.    

Now on the other hand maybe you are just getting faster-not a bad thing.

Randy

Well, I have been trying to change my form and everyone under the sun says to take it slow and work up speed and mileage 10% at a time, so I'm probably capable of going faster...yeah, but I'm not at the stage when that's a good idea.
lrunfit - 2010-02-28 6:21 PM Why do you think you are going too fast?
Because every time I do this with running, I end up with shin splints or something...doing too much too soon as far as speed goes. I just assumed it wasn't smart to go out and run 20 minutes with a split of 2 minutes per mile faster than I usually do.

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2010-02-28 5:36 PM
2010-03-01 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
What a nice afternoon for a run, too bad I have to do my run in the monring when it is dark and cold yet.

Supposed to be doing speed work, but the track still has snow on it. Thinking about trying a speed work on the treadmill.

2010-03-01 4:52 PM
in reply to: #2700718

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Lumber Dad - 2010-03-01 4:56 PM What a nice afternoon for a run, too bad I have to do my run in the monring when it is dark and cold yet.

Supposed to be doing speed work, but the track still has snow on it. Thinking about trying a speed work on the treadmill.

You haven't run much in the last month and you want to do speed work? 

2010-03-02 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2700855

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
jgerbodegrant - 2010-03-01 4:52 PM
Lumber Dad - 2010-03-01 4:56 PM What a nice afternoon for a run, too bad I have to do my run in the monring when it is dark and cold yet.

You haven't run much in the last month and you want to do speed work? 

I know I should be doing hills first, but the roads haven't been good enough for that and my training plan is calling for speed work. I will give it a try and see how it feels. If it hurts too much I will go to hills.
2010-03-02 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Hey all...totally unmotivated to train for Boston. I have been really struggling due to my hamstring issues. But I did meet with a friend yesterday who had done multiple marathons and she gave me good advice.  I have already adjusted my training plan to not do tempo/speed/hills but instead incorporate the hills in to my long runs and if I feel good pick up my pace on my other runs.  She also told me to not fight the pain when I run but instead acknowledge it and just try to focus on something else during the run.  I thought that was good advice.

And....here is my big news....my husband is coming to Boston  too!  We had never  entertained the idea because what would we do with our daughters?  A friend out of the blue offered to help!  He is on different flights but he will be there Saturday night - Tuesday.  It is  a big relief for me to know that he will be there. 
2010-03-02 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2701933

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
lrunfit - 2010-03-02 10:26 AM Hey all...totally unmotivated to train for Boston. I have been really struggling due to my hamstring issues. But I did meet with a friend yesterday who had done multiple marathons and she gave me good advice.  I have already adjusted my training plan to not do tempo/speed/hills but instead incorporate the hills in to my long runs and if I feel good pick up my pace on my other runs.  She also told me to not fight the pain when I run but instead acknowledge it and just try to focus on something else during the run.  I thought that was good advice.

And....here is my big news....my husband is coming to Boston  too!  We had never  entertained the idea because what would we do with our daughters?  A friend out of the blue offered to help!  He is on different flights but he will be there Saturday night - Tuesday.  It is  a big relief for me to know that he will be there. 

Pain is always very frustrating to me and a major demotivator as well.  I also think there's a difference between pain and soreness.  I am finding that more often that not, runners who did not have issues when they started go about dealing with issues the wrong way.  If you are in pain, there is something wrong.  The first indicator being that you are "struggling" with your hamstring.  Something needs to change.  And IMHO you should not just ignore it and think of something else.  I understand that you want to push through and do your best, but if you do this could affect you in the future.  But then again....I'm not really a runner per say.  I just hate to see you guys hurt.

That's such good news that your husband will be there!  It's a great event as a spectator as well.  As soon as you find out what your bib number is, let us know so we can track you throughout the race!!!

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2010-03-02 9:41 AM
2010-03-02 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2701962

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
jgerbodegrant - 2010-03-02 9:35 AM
lrunfit - 2010-03-02 10:26 AM Hey all...totally unmotivated to train for Boston. I have been really struggling due to my hamstring issues. But I did meet with a friend yesterday who had done multiple marathons and she gave me good advice.  I have already adjusted my training plan to not do tempo/speed/hills but instead incorporate the hills in to my long runs and if I feel good pick up my pace on my other runs.  She also told me to not fight the pain when I run but instead acknowledge it and just try to focus on something else during the run.  I thought that was good advice.

Pain is always very frustrating to me and a major demotivator as well.  I also think there's a difference between pain and soreness.  I am finding that more often that not, runners who did not have issues when they started go about dealing with issues the wrong way.  If you are in pain, there is something wrong.  The first indicator being that you are "struggling" with your hamstring.  Something needs to change.  And IMHO you should not just ignore it and think of something else.  I understand that you want to push through and do your best, but if you do this could affect you in the future.  But then again....I'm not really a runner per say.  I just hate to see you guys hurt.

That's such good news that your husband will be there!  It's a great event as a spectator as well.  As soon as you find out what your bib number is, let us know so we can track you throughout the race!!!

True - I mispoke - i have tendonitis in my hamstring and bursitis as well so I know what is wrong - it flares up time to time and it is those times that I am working on just accepting it.  I agree if it is a new pain or sharp pain then definitly not ignore
2010-03-02 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2701984

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
lrunfit - 2010-03-02 9:44 AM

True - I mispoke - i have tendonitis in my hamstring and bursitis as well so I know what is wrong - it flares up time to time and it is those times that I am working on just accepting it.  I agree if it is a new pain or sharp pain then definitly not ignore

I know what you mean, there are a lot of times that I will have pains while I am running. You know these and just live with them. It is whan something new comes up that you may need to look into or that is telling you that you need to back off a little.

That is so cool that your husband is going to be at Boston with your. I know when I finished my IM, it was so great having my wife at the finish.

2010-03-02 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2701984

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
lrunfit - 2010-03-02 10:44 AM

gotcha....so there's nothing you can do about it?  That truly does suck!!
2010-03-02 2:26 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Lisa-you are experienced enough to know when you can train and when you should rest.  Don't disregard how you feel because you are training for such a big race.  You have built up your fitness and a few rest days here and there may help you heal and feel better as the race approaches.  Most everyone that trains consistently for awile can distinguish soreness from "injury pain".  How you deal with each is what is crucial.   

As for me, I have not done any running since 1/11/10 because of a continuing piriformis issue in my right leg.  I worry that trying to run too soon will cause a flare up-but I am itching to get out.  I just cant quite get over that last little hump to return to running.  In other words, I can give the advice of "moderation and rest" but not sure that I always accept it myself.

Randy  

2010-03-03 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2702842

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
slornow - 2010-03-02 3:26 PMAs for me, I have not done any running since 1/11/10 because of a continuing piriformis issue in my right leg.  I worry that trying to run too soon will cause a flare up-but I am itching to get out.  I just cant quite get over that last little hump to return to running.  In other words, I can give the advice of "moderation and rest" but not sure that I always accept it myself.

Randy  

What are you doing for the piriformis? I have the same issues with flare ups also. The only thing that seems to help is stretching.
2010-03-03 10:25 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Wednesday weigh-in: down a couple pounds to 192.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lumber Dad's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 28