BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-04-22 10:46 PM
in reply to: #2811502

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
SAWFISH50 - 2010-04-22 8:10 PM Well I Must apoligise to my Bikes for neglecting them while I ran my a$$ off all winter. I took my MTB out for a 1/2 trail 1/2 road ride around the hood and it paid me back for all the neglect by kicking my a$$. At about mile 10 of the ride I had to stop where a trail crosses a street when I steped out of the peddle my calf cramped and I almost fell over and ate $hit right there. I pushed down on my knee to force the foot back to the ground and the cramp stoped so I continued on.  As I got back to the house I saw I was at 13 miles. I was gonna make a couple of extra laps around the block to complete 15 miles but My A$$ couldn't take another second fo seat time.  So I know I need to get my $h!t together and put the bike back into my weekly schedule with some Bricks as well. Damn Im gonna be busy... My bike sucks and I have to learn to swim next month when the pool opens back up... What would life be without new goals to keep us challenged???

Funny!  "Triathletes... experts at all, masters of none!"  Everytime I neglect a discipline for a while, I'm reminded of this quote.

Edited by brick94513 2010-04-22 10:55 PM

2010-04-22 11:00 PM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Dave, we share a similar story.  I was training for my first marathon, Big Sur International, when I developed repetitive motion injuries: ITBS and Piriformis.  Not only did it end any hope for competing in the marathon, I was unable to run for months.  My whole 2010 season looked to be in peril.  It definately sucks to pull the plug after so my months of hard training.

If all goes well, I'm going to shoot for doing the California International Marathon in December.
2010-04-22 11:04 PM
in reply to: #2811258

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-04-22 5:42 PM ok, dumb question.  how long does it take to get used to the shifters only being on the aero bars?  i never gave it much thought until i actually got on the bike yesterday and as im spinning away im thinking, 'hm, i wonder if this is going to be a problem on hills or turns'.  obviously this isnt a problem as ALL tri bikes have this, but my non cycling a ss will probably crash while shifting :X

You will most definately get used to them.  If I can go from a MTB, to bar end shifters on my TT bike, I have faith that you will easily adapt.  Just take it easy during the learning curve and you'll be fine.
2010-04-23 12:37 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Thought some might find this interesting:

THE PERFECT FORM

Running better, from head to toe.

By Jane Unger Hahn

From the August 2004 issue of Runner's World

Head Tilt How you hold your head is key to overall posture, which determines how efficiently you run. Let your gaze guide you. Look ahead naturally, not down at your feet, and scan the horizon. This will straighten your neck and back, and bring them into alignment. Don't allow your chin to jut out.

Shoulders Shoulders play an important role in keeping your upper body relaxed while you run, which is critical to maintaining efficient running posture. For optimum performance, your shoulders should be low and loose, not high and tight. As you tire on a run, don't let them creep up toward your ears. If they do, shake them out to release the tension. Your shoulders also need to remain level and shouldn't dip from side to side with each stride.

Arms Even though running is primarily a lower-body activity, your arms aren't just along for the ride. Your hands control the tension in your upper body, while your arm swing works in conjunction with your leg stride to drive you forward. Keep your hands in an unclenched fist, with your fingers lightly touching your palms. Imagine yourself trying to carry a potato chip in each hand without crushing it. Your arms should swing mostly forward and back, not across your body,between waist and lower-chest level. Your elbows should be bent at about a 90-degree angle. When you feel your fists clenching or your forearms tensing, drop your arms to your sides and shake them out for a few seconds to release the tension.

Torso The position of your torso while running is affected by the position of your head and shoulders. With your head up and looking ahead and your shoulders low and loose, your torso and back naturally straighten to allow you to run in an efficient, upright position that promotes optimal lung capacity and stride length. Many track coaches describe this ideal torso position as "running tall" and it means you need to stretch yourself up to your full height with your back comfortably straight. If you start to slouch during a run take a deep breath and feel yourself naturally straighten. As you exhale simply maintain that upright position.

Hips Your hips are your center of gravity, so they're key to good running posture. The proper position of your torso while running helps to ensure your hips will also be in the ideal position. With your torso and back comfortably upright and straight, your hips naturally fall into proper alignment--pointing you straight ahead. If you allow your torso to hunch over or lean too far forward during a run, your pelvis will tilt forward as well, which can put pressure on your lower back and throw the rest of your lower body out of alignment. When trying to gauge the position of your hips, think of your pelvis as a bowl filled with marbles, then try not to spill the marbles by tilting the bowl.

Legs/Stride While sprinters need to lift their knees high to achieve maximum leg power, distance runners don't need such an exaggerated knee lift--it's simply too hard to sustain for any length of time. Instead, efficient endurance running requires just a slight knee lift, a quick leg turnover, and a short stride. Together, these will facilitate fluid forward movement instead of diverting (and wasting) energy. When running with the proper stride length, your feet should land directly underneath your body. As your foot strikes the ground, your knee should be slightly flexed so that it can bend naturally on impact. If your lower leg (below the knee) extends out in front of your body, your stride is too long.

Ankles/Feet To run well, you need to push off the ground with maximum force. With each step, your foot should hit the ground lightly--landing between your heel and midfoot--then quickly roll forward. Keep your ankle flexed as your foot rolls forward to create more force for push-off. As you roll onto your toes, try to spring off the ground. You should feel your calf muscles propelling you forward on each step. Your feet should not slap loudly as they hit the ground. Good running is springy and quiet.

2010-04-23 4:38 AM
in reply to: #2811502

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
Sawfish: Both of my calves cramped up yesterday on my ride. Had to pull over and try to stretch them out. I didn't drink enough during my workout.... probably need to add some Accelorade or other sports drink mix to my H2O bottles before heading out next time. It's getting warmer here and I usually drink plenty of water..... don't know what I was thinking yesterday. Cramps suck!
2010-04-23 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2811638

User image

Regular
jhogan9600 - 2010-04-23 4:38 AM Sawfish: Both of my calves cramped up yesterday on my ride. Had to pull over and try to stretch them out. I didn't drink enough during my workout.... probably need to add some Accelorade or other sports drink mix to my H2O bottles before heading out next time. It's getting warmer here and I usually drink plenty of water..... don't know what I was thinking yesterday. Cramps suck!

Mine was a result of using new muscles I haven't used in a while cause I was plenty Hydrated.  It's crazy that you can be in great shape doing one sport like Running then have to make different adaptations for the bike and I'm sure the swim.  For me the worst adaptation on the bike is my a$$. Riding for over about an hour with that little seat stuck in my rear is never fun LOL!! 

Edited by SAWFISH50 2010-04-23 8:02 AM

2010-04-23 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2811602

User image

Regular
brick94513 - 2010-04-23 12:37 AM Thought some might find this interesting:

THE PERFECT FORM

Running better, from head to toe.

By Jane Unger Hahn

Ankles/Feet To run well, you need to push off the ground with maximum force. With each step, your foot should hit the ground lightly--landing between your heel and midfoot--then quickly roll forward. Keep your ankle flexed as your foot rolls forward to create more force for push-off. As you roll onto your toes, try to spring off the ground. You should feel your calf muscles propelling you forward on each step. Your feet should not slap loudly as they hit the ground. Good running is springy and quiet.

I agree with all of the article EXCEPT the above bolded... In the Book Chi Running they have a drill where you run through a long jump sand pit and your foot prints left should be flat and even. If you push off hard with your toes you leave diviots at the front of the foot print. When I learned to relax at the ankles and not push off so hard shin splint problems disapeared.  I cant remember the last time I have had any shin splints and they use to be a big problem for me. 

I can see a hard push off In short track style sprinters races but in distance running I'm not so sure.. What are your thoughts..
2010-04-23 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2811903

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
SAWFISH50 - 2010-04-23 6:35 AM

I agree with all of the article EXCEPT the above bolded... In the Book Chi Running they have a drill where you run through a long jump sand pit and your foot prints left should be flat and even. If you push off hard with your toes you leave diviots at the front of the foot print. When I learned to relax at the ankles and not push off so hard shin splint problems disapeared.  I cant remember the last time I have had any shin splints and they use to be a big problem for me. 

I can see a hard push off In short track style sprinters races but in distance running I'm not so sure.. What are your thoughts..

I subscribe to the school of thought that believes foot strike is a function of speed.  At lower speeds, I tend to strike more flat-footed.  However, as I increase my speed, my body automatically adapts and I start to strike mid-foot forward.   I'll look for the article.

With that said, as of late, I've been focusing on higher cadence and greather push off.  However, I don't not roll off my toes like the description in the artcile.

I've only experienced "shin splints" when I heel strike for a prolonged time.  This has occurred when my form breaks down in longer runs or druing prolonged, steep trail descents.

I knew you would bite on this.  After all of the swimming and cycling talk, I was purposely trying to switch to the run.

Edited by brick94513 2010-04-23 9:17 AM
2010-04-23 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2811245

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-04-22 5:36 PM

Just got my TI Breast Stroke dvd in the mail this afternoon
Smile

Why the breast stroke?
2010-04-23 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Ah man, I'm feeling pretty beat up this morning!  Looks like the plan will call for an easy spin on the bike or trainer and a swim in the afternoon.

Crazy weekend ahead with the kids.  Four baseball games Yell  At this point, I'm not sure if I'm even going to make that OWS event now.

2010-04-23 9:31 AM

User image

Regular
Well I love to run but reality is I need to get my bike back up and learn to swim start next month.. 

My speed is increasing in the run slowly but surly. I have been really focused on building Volume for a big base at much slower paces for injury prevention but in the past week I have started pushing ALOT harder in the last mile of all my runs for some speed play. I plan to do some 5k's or just 5K time trilals couple times a month to get my speed up. I now see hope in my run again as it was Pre Asthma and lay off..

My stride at training paces is Chi style.. Slight lean forward at the ankles alowing a natural falling forward to pull you forward..I just try and focus on quick turnover and peeling my feet off the ground and running Light quick and easy.. I know when I speed up It changes to some extent but I need a Video of me running at faster paces to see the differences and figure if I need to work on form at higher speed. 

See look how good my form is LOL!! 

Edited by SAWFISH50 2010-04-23 9:37 AM

2010-04-23 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Re:  Running,

I've read SO MUCH about so many things related to running, it's very confusing!  No shoes, stability shoes, Chi, forefoot running, overstriding, high cadence etc...  So much, so many opinions. 

I was down in L.A. over thanksgiving last year and happened into a huuuge running store in the valley that was offering free gait analysis.  This was really cool!  First he had me walk barefoot over a pressure plate on the floor that recorded my weight distribution profile while walking.  Then he did a video tape analysis of me running on a treadmill.  We spent some time going over the results, then he suggested a shoe for me.  Basically said my footstrike and form is extremely typical (slight heel landing with a quick roll to the front, and mild pronation), and I could pretty much just pick any of the 'stability' shoes that are out there. 

Anyone else had their feet/stride analyzed at a running shop?  It was pretty cool to do. 

I tend to focus on a few small main points when I run.  First and foremost is landing my foot directly under my body.  Second is keeping a high cadence (it definately slows as I tire).  The other main thing I pay attention to is just my general posture.  Trying to stay tall, and keep my hips and shoulders 'calm'.  Meaning no bouncing up and down or bobbing back and forth.

I have been experimenting a lot with various other things with my legs (like focussing on pushing off, or high knees, or high heels on the backstroke) just to see how they change things.  There's lots to running, but it also seems like the more I run, the more my body sort of finds it's own natural way that it likes to run. 

For sure, the faster I run, the easier it is to hold good form.  I just don't have the strengh or conditioning to run fast for very long right now!. Tongue out
2010-04-23 10:07 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
There's a lot of varying opinions on running and getting faster.  Personally, I don't get any faster if I just run at pace all the time.  I need to add intervals in.  My biggest builds came over the winter.  After I came back from a sprained ankle I was running 9 min miles in a 5k.  Once a week I would run 6 miles on the treadmill.  First 3 were an easy pace 6.5 70 7 mph.  Mile 4 I cranked it up to 9 mph for .25 miles, mile 5 I went 10mph for .25 mile, and mile 6 11mph for .25 mile.  I always considered the bike my strenght and all of a sudden I was running 7min miles in a 5k!!
2010-04-23 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2812154

User image

Regular

Edited by SAWFISH50 2010-04-23 10:12 AM
2010-04-23 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2812154

User image

Regular
Meulen - 2010-04-23 10:07 AM There's a lot of varying opinions on running and getting faster.  Personally, I don't get any faster if I just run at pace all the time.  I need to add intervals in.  My biggest builds came over the winter.  After I came back from a sprained ankle I was running 9 min miles in a 5k.  Once a week I would run 6 miles on the treadmill.  First 3 were an easy pace 6.5 70 7 mph.  Mile 4 I cranked it up to 9 mph for .25 miles, mile 5 I went 10mph for .25 mile, and mile 6 11mph for .25 mile.  I always considered the bike my strenght and all of a sudden I was running 7min miles in a 5k!!

Yea lots of info out there saying just increasing your volume will improve speed, and I agree with that to an extent you need the volume to get the endurance factor... But the point you make is also very true at least it has always been for me in the past.  If I trained Fast I could run fast but you have to add it to your training in a smart way like you did with some speed intervals now and then to avoid injury. 

Edited by SAWFISH50 2010-04-23 10:16 AM
2010-04-23 10:19 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I've been thinking more about my bike situation.  After training with power over the winter I really see the benefits.  I'm thinking maybe, instead of waiting for the P4, it may be worth getting the P3 Ultegra and a quarq equipped FSA SLK light carbon crankset to add watts read out on my garmin.  Maybe even more so than wheels.  I can always get them next season as I progress in the sport.  This way I can get it set up in a few weeks as opposed to waiting for a P4 till August.

any opinions?

2010-04-23 10:28 AM

User image

Regular
I have heard it said that there are no slow bikes just slow riders LOL!!  I cant ride to the potental of my 2 old POS bikes

If you like the P3 get it and start getting use to it the differance between the two bikes wouldn't be enough to make a hill of beans in your overall performance as long as the P3 has all you want on the bike..I think they are both Bad azz bikes so either is a good choice in my opinion. 

Edited by SAWFISH50 2010-04-23 10:29 AM
2010-04-23 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2812220

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
SAWFISH50 - 2010-04-23 10:28 AM I have heard it said that there are no slow bikes just slow riders LOL!!  I cant ride to the potental of my 2 old POS bikes

If you like the P3 get it and start getting use to it the differance between the two bikes wouldn't be enough to make a hill of beans in your overall performance as long as the P3 has all you want on the bike..I think they are both Bad azz bikes so either is a good choice in my opinion. 

that's kinda how I feel about it too.  I actually would rather the ultegra p3 vs the durace p3 because I like it better asthetically and the difference is almost non-existant.  I do like the p3 a lot.  I just love the p4. LOL  I just won't have any fancy gadgets or wheels with the p4 until next season, because it's just not in my budget.
2010-04-23 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2812192

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-04-23 8:19 AM I've been thinking more about my bike situation.  After training with power over the winter I really see the benefits.  I'm thinking maybe, instead of waiting for the P4, it may be worth getting the P3 Ultegra and a quarq equipped FSA SLK light carbon crankset to add watts read out on my garmin.  Maybe even more so than wheels.  I can always get them next season as I progress in the sport.  This way I can get it set up in a few weeks as opposed to waiting for a P4 till August.

any opinions?

I would get the powermeter, either on the crank or hub!  I love training with power.  In my cheap opion, power training is the only way to go when using the bike trainer.  Power is instanteous.  While HR works, it lags behind effort and it difficult to use for short intervals.  I just can't afford it right now, especially after having my race wheels rebuilt for my MTB.  If I could pull the trigger right now, I would get a Zipp 404 with a wireless PowerTap hub. 
2010-04-23 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2811816

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
They don't call those little seats " hacthets" for nothing. Try a bigger gear... moves the pain from your rump to your quads.

SAWFISH50 - 2010-04-23 8:01 AM
jhogan9600 - 2010-04-23 4:38 AM Sawfish: Both of my calves cramped up yesterday on my ride. Had to pull over and try to stretch them out. I didn't drink enough during my workout.... probably need to add some Accelorade or other sports drink mix to my H2O bottles before heading out next time. It's getting warmer here and I usually drink plenty of water..... don't know what I was thinking yesterday. Cramps suck!

Mine was a result of using new muscles I haven't used in a while cause I was plenty Hydrated.  It's crazy that you can be in great shape doing one sport like Running then have to make different adaptations for the bike and I'm sure the swim.  For me the worst adaptation on the bike is my a$$. Riding for over about an hour with that little seat stuck in my rear is never fun LOL!! 
2010-04-23 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2812281

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-04-23 10:48 AM
I would get the powermeter, either on the crank or hub!  I love training with power.  In my cheap opion, power training is the only way to go when using the bike trainer.  Power is instanteous.  While HR works, it lags behind effort and it difficult to use for short intervals.  I just can't afford it right now, especially after having my race wheels rebuilt for my MTB.  If I could pull the trigger right now, I would get a Zipp 404 with a wireless PowerTap hub. 

hmmm... the hub would be great on the MTB for sure!!!  I'm not so sure the 404's would be suited for everyday riding would they?

I guess I could look into swapping the stock wheels for mavic CXP33's with a powertap.  That would be suited for everyday use, but then I wouldn't have a power reading when I switch to race wheels.

2010-04-23 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2812283

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
[
SAWFISH50 - 2010-04-23 8:01 AM

This is taken from Sheldon Brown:

Everybody wants a comfortable saddle on their bicycle. What is not so obvious is what constitutes a comfortable saddle.

Every spring, bike shops sell scads of saddles to cyclists who come in because their old saddle has become uncomfortable since they stopped cycling in the fall. They went out for a ride or two, and found it much less comfortable than they remembered from the previous year. They've heard about the latest buzzword in saddle gimmicks, and they want one of those!

They buy the new saddle, put it on the bike, go for a few more rides, and find they're much more comfortable. They tell all their friends about their wonderful new saddle, and how they need one too...

But was it really the new, high-tech saddle...or was it just that the rider had become unaccustomed to cycling over the winter layoff? In many cases, working your way up over the course of a few short rides of gradually increasing length is all that is necessary, if you have a decent-quality saddle, properly adjusted. If you have previously been comfortable on your present saddle, don't be in a hurry to change.

You'll notice that I do call them "saddles," not "seats." There is a reason for this. A "seat" is something you sit on, and is designed to bear essentially your entire weight. Recumbent bicycles have "seats," but conventional upright bicycles have saddles. A saddle is intended to carry some, but not all of your weight. The rest of your weight is mainly carried by your legs, and some by your hands and arms.

A cyclist who is out of cycling shape, from being off a bicycle for a few months or more, will start out strong, but the legs will tire rapidly. When the legs tire, the rider sits harder on the saddle, and that's when the trouble starts. Many saddle complaints are actually traceable to fatigue caused by starting out the season with a longer ride than you are ready for.

If it has been several months or more since you rode a bicycle regularly, you can expect to be sore if you ride any serious distance.

If you are coming off of a layoff of months or years, start with very short rides, maybe a mile or two, no more. Only gradually should you increase your ride distance. This may seem frustrating, but it does take a while to re-accustom your derrière to cycling. Anybody in decent shape can hop on a bike and ride 15-20 miles, but you'll be a wreck afterwards if you haven't accustomed your body to cycling first

2010-04-23 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2812350

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-04-23 9:12 AM

hmmm... the hub would be great on the MTB for sure!!!  I'm not so sure the 404's would be suited for everyday riding would they?

I guess I could look into swapping the stock wheels for mavic CXP33's with a powertap.  That would be suited for everyday use, but then I wouldn't have a power reading when I switch to race wheels.

Maybe I didn't read your post right.  Are you looking for the MTB or TT bike.  I would probably only use the PowerTap for my trainer and as a race wheel for my TT bike.
2010-04-23 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2812365

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-04-23 11:18 AM
Meulen - 2010-04-23 9:12 AM

Maybe I didn't read your post right.  Are you looking for the MTB or TT bike.  I would probably only use the PowerTap for my trainer and as a race wheel for my TT bike.

for the new TT bike.  I don't do a whole lot of racing so it would be more beneficial for me to have a powertap in a wheel that is durable enough for everyday riding.  I don't know a lot about high end wheels.  Could I ride on a zipp 404 or 303 every day?  If not I'd rather get the power meter in the crank or on a wheel suitable for every day riding.  I want the power infor more in my training rides than races.  Both would be better, with the crank.  However, it would be less expensive to get it in the hub of an every day wheelset.  The only time I'm on a trainer I get power readouts from the trainer itself and don't need the wheel for power reading.
2010-04-23 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2811548

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
brick94513 - 2010-04-22 11:00 PM Dave, we share a similar story.  I was training for my first marathon, Big Sur International, when I developed repetitive motion injuries: ITBS and Piriformis.  Not only did it end any hope for competing in the marathon, I was unable to run for months.  My whole 2010 season looked to be in peril.  It definately sucks to pull the plug after so my months of hard training.

If all goes well, I'm going to shoot for doing the California International Marathon in December.

That's the one I was registered for last year! Hotel was booked and everything. I wanted to go and just walk it but I knew that would me off even more so I just ate the entry fee and forgot about it. Do you have a goal time? Are you still a full-mary virgin? You should do DK Silicon Valley Marathon with me on Halloween!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108