BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2010-09-17 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2772633

User image

South Florida
Subject: RE: Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full

Good race Warren. Way to kill the bike! And you even had time to make s'mores. For a second i though you were fore real.

Sorry to hear the season is coming to an end. Time to relax, refuel the body for next seaso
Yes Eli! I am way excited for the marathon. 44 more days.

My leg/knee is doing great! Im slowly getting my mileage back up. I should be ok for the marathon. Then the HIM 2 weeks later. And that should wrap up the season. The i switch in to wedding mode and get back on that horse to finish up last minute items. April 2 is just about 6 months away. gulp...

I'm doing 60mile ride tomorrow and im sure it will be windy as all get out. Probably no ocean swims for awhile either, due to the hurricanes out in the Atlantic. I really hate hurricane season.

2010-09-24 9:05 PM

User image

Master
Hey all,
I was out of town for work a few days this week, and my workouts suffered!
However, I got a good on in today, so I am feeling OK about the week.
So...
I put my HED 3 rear on my bike in preparation for the half-Max next week. Very excited about that race.
I am also trying to decide whether or not to bring the rear bottle mount. It fell off on a ride last week and when I rode today, I liked my position better. I think the bottle holder rubs up against my rear and makes me sit forward more.

How are you all holding up? 
2010-09-26 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3116983

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Doing pretty good.  My season is done.  I am doing some easy workouts in the pool while I have not been on the bike in a while.  I am not teaching the spin classes this session, hate the stationary bikes and the weather is just not cooperating for me.   I am doing some strength training to tone up and help burn some fat.  I have also started the couch to 5k training plan on the treadmill and am taking it slowly.  Shins have been good - no pain when on the treadmill but some tightness/aching the next day.  I am up to walking for 7:30/jogging for :30 for a total of 30 minutes.  Feeling good about it and making sure to do lots of stretching every day.

I am looking into getting a trainer but have to save up some money first.  I am debating between the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine Fluid trainer and the Cycleops Magneto.  I need to keep it around $300 max but am not sure when I will be able to buy it.  Right now we are saving money for our cruise in February and have to get passports soon for the family so that will eat a big chunk of saved money.  I have an old trainer but don't trust it to put my new bike on it.

My boys did a kids tri yesterday and I am so DAMN proud of both of them.  100yd swim,  3 mile bike and 1mile run.  They definitely take after their parents - BOP and proud of it.  Danny,  my 10 yr old was freaked out by the swim and kept saying he could not do it.  We convinced him to try and cheered really loudly for him.  He did every stroke in the book but kept moving and finished with the biggest smile on his face.  He even was worried about another kid in the swim that seemed to be having trouble.  Danny made sure the  lifeguards in the kayaks knew about the boy - truly a sensitive, caring kid.
2010-09-27 8:19 AM

User image

NH
Awesome news on running again Randi.  Hopefully those shins co-operate.  It's cool to see your kids taking part in this crazy sport.  I watched my son finish a similar tri this year and it may have been the highlight of my year!
2010-09-30 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Randi,
Way to go on getting your off season plan started. Work that walking and make sure you stretch those shins before each run burst.
I can't wait till my daughter does her first tri. The story about your son is great. Love the fact that he is a natural "sportsman" and concerned about others on the course.

Off to the Half-Max this weekend. Here are my Goals-
Goal 1- beat my time from the last HIM 5:23 (Total-5:23:37 Swim- 30:52 T1-1:55 Bike- 2:53:33 T2-1:44 Run-1:55:36)

Goal 2- beat 5 hours-Take 10-15 off the bike-now that I have tri bike and some good training...Maybe 5-10 off the run????

Goal 3-Qualify for the Age Group team for worlds next year at 1/2 Iron in Las Vegas-Need to go a bit under 5 for this. Not sure it is even remotely possible with my slow running. 

OK, hyperventilating starting now!!! 
2010-10-01 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3125663

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
So much for my off-season plans.  After a good run/walk last week,  this week is far from the same.  I tried the stationary bike and walk/run on the treadmill on Monday and had pain shooting up and down my shins.  Needless to say I stopped each right away.   It eased up and took a spin class on Wednesday with just a bit of aching during the class but by the end of the day Wednesday the pain flared back with a vengeance. Icing, stretching, rest and advil are not really helping.  Even swimming hurts when I kick - forget about kicking off the wall.  Finally bit the bullet - have an appointment with the Sports Med Orthopedist on Thursday for my shins.  So not cool.

Elias - good luck this weekend and have FUN!

eliwashere - 2010-09-30 10:27 AM Randi,
Way to go on getting your off season plan started. Work that walking and make sure you stretch those shins before each run burst.
I can't wait till my daughter does her first tri. The story about your son is great. Love the fact that he is a natural "sportsman" and concerned about others on the course.

Off to the Half-Max this weekend. Here are my Goals-
Goal 1- beat my time from the last HIM 5:23 (Total-5:23:37 Swim- 30:52 T1-1:55 Bike- 2:53:33 T2-1:44 Run-1:55:36)

Goal 2- beat 5 hours-Take 10-15 off the bike-now that I have tri bike and some good training...Maybe 5-10 off the run????

Goal 3-Qualify for the Age Group team for worlds next year at 1/2 Iron in Las Vegas-Need to go a bit under 5 for this. Not sure it is even remotely possible with my slow running. 

OK, hyperventilating starting now!!! 

2010-10-04 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Hey Everybody,

I have been MIA for a while now and my training also shows that.  The past two weeks I have worked to get back in the habit of training and think I am getting there again.  I have been pretty good about getting a longer ride in every Saturday.  I really like riding so that has not been too difficult.  I am really surprised how quickly I lost a bunch of swim fitness. 

I am following the winter maintenance plan 7-11 hours but I removed the swimming from it and replaced it with the Swim training from the shorter maintenance plan.  This will gradually build volume until I start the 1/2 Beginner plan in February.  This should get my swim where I need it for the 1/2 I am planning next July.

My wife is starting to slowly train, she has started running and swimming she is looking at a short sprint next summer.  She has been working out for a long time before this but never endurance related.  She wants to experience what it feels like to cross a finish line like I did this past summer.  I am pretty excited about this!!

Eli,

Hope your race went well, our weather this weekend would have been tough for racing hopefully your was better.
2010-10-04 9:29 AM

User image

NH
That plan sounds great Charlie.  Consistency trumps all for long course training.
2010-10-05 7:45 AM

User image

Master
Hey All,
So, the race was awesome. My friend Becky and I drove up to Myrtle beach on Thursday night. It was long, but uneventful. I only slept about 4 hours, if that.
We arrived 11 hours later at the hotel (at 7 in the morning) and they let us check in. AWESOME!
I had enough time to get some coffee, breakfast and then taught my class from 9 AM to 12 PM while Becky slept.

After that, packet pickup, lunch, short nap, race meeting, and bike drop-off. Whew. I barely remember eating dinner and dropping off to sleep.

Race day was beautiful. I am working on the race report, but suffice to say, I had, for me, a GREAT race, even though the swim was cancelled.

Have to work now, but I will post the race report and more later. 
2010-10-06 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3133087

User image

NH
eliwashere - 2010-10-05 8:45 AM Hey All,
So, the race was awesome. My friend Becky and I drove up to Myrtle beach on Thursday night. It was long, but uneventful. I only slept about 4 hours, if that.
We arrived 11 hours later at the hotel (at 7 in the morning) and they let us check in. AWESOME!
I had enough time to get some coffee, breakfast and then taught my class from 9 AM to 12 PM while Becky slept.

After that, packet pickup, lunch, short nap, race meeting, and bike drop-off. Whew. I barely remember eating dinner and dropping off to sleep.

Race day was beautiful. I am working on the race report, but suffice to say, I had, for me, a GREAT race, even though the swim was cancelled.

Have to work now, but I will post the race report and more later. 

Sounds like quite a weekend.  Why did they cancel the swim?  I think I'd be bummed.  On the flip side, if they canceled the run and two swims I'd be psyched!

Get the RR done, there's never enough of those to read!
2010-10-06 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Charlie,
I forgot to say welcome back!
Sounds like you are on the move again with fitness! Congrats. Using the "off-season" to stay fit or hit a new goal is fun. This is actually my main season, most of my races are in the fall.

Race report is up here .

I am looking forward to a few weeks of resting my achilles. I am going to give up running for two weeks and replace it with elliptical and steep treadmill walking to see if it helps bring down the discomfort level.
Since the halfmax was my last "race" I am fine being aiming to complete, not compete, for my marathon, IM and whatever else my wife and I dream up to register for.

Have a good week!!!! 

2010-10-06 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3136206

User image

NH
eliwashere - 2010-10-06 12:28 PM Charlie,
I forgot to say welcome back!
Sounds like you are on the move again with fitness! Congrats. Using the "off-season" to stay fit or hit a new goal is fun. This is actually my main season, most of my races are in the fall.

Race report is up here .

I am looking forward to a few weeks of resting my achilles. I am going to give up running for two weeks and replace it with elliptical and steep treadmill walking to see if it helps bring down the discomfort level.
Since the halfmax was my last "race" I am fine being aiming to complete, not compete, for my marathon, IM and whatever else my wife and I dream up to register for.

Have a good week!!!! 

Good luck with the Achilles Eli.  Hopefully it's totally clear for Cozumel.  Super race last weekend as well.  Looks like you've got the half dinstance figured out (even without the swim).  Looks like you would have had a huge PR if the swim went off.

I was cracking up reading 65 degrees and FREEZING together.  That would be a heat wave for us as a morning temp, even in the summer.  But you'll be well prepared for Cozumel since it should be warm down there.
2010-10-07 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Warren,
After living in South Florida for almost 4 years, I think my blood has thinned.
We are actually getting what passes for Fall weather down here-Wind and days that are sub 80.

2010-10-07 9:17 AM

User image

South Florida

Hello Everyone! I'm back. Well, I didn't go anywhere really Except for Philly for our engagement party. I did some running with my brother and sisters last Saturday and was freezing. 48 degrees (cold to my Florida blood)

My training has been good for the most part. Work has been crazy busy and hindered some training during the week. 23 days until the Marine Corps Marathon. Can't wait

Eli- GREAT race! Sucks about the swim. Cozumel should be a blast!

Warren- Any below 70 degrees is "cold" to us.. :-)

2010-10-07 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Stress fractures in both shins.  Need to have deep bone scans to find out how bad. Cry
2010-10-07 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3138420

User image

NH
Fechter99 - 2010-10-07 12:34 PM Stress fractures in both shins.  Need to have deep bone scans to find out how bad. Cry

Wow, at least now you know.  Sorry to hear that.  Let us know how how the scans go.  Keep coming back for inspiration and to vent during rehab.  You'll hear the details from your doctor, but this could be a long road back.

Be patient, be smart, listen to the professionals, and know this is something you WILL recover from to fight another day.

2010-10-10 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Randi, Sorry to hear about the stress fractures!
However, as Warren says, better to know, and figure out how to rehabilitate them.

Focus on the long haul, and what you can do to help your health and fitness, and you may still come out ahead! 
2010-10-10 7:29 PM

User image

Master
Hey All,
Because of my race last weekend, I am a little bit off my training plan. Plus, the fact that I am trying to rest my achilles for a couple of weeks is affecting my plan as well. With that in mine, I did my first IM race rehearsal ride this weekend.  A week ahead of schedule, but since my wife will be away next weekend, I am not sure I can find the time then.

So...riding 112 miles.
I was hoping to finish in under 6 hours. I made it in 5:54 of ride time and just over 6 hours total. Some of that over was the bottle refills that I am hoping I won't have to do at the race. Plus detours, stop lights, drawbridges, etc.
I felt good almost the whole time. It was a great weekend for it, cool in the morning and not too hot when the sun came up. Hydrated well, decent nutrition, and only 3 real stops-2 for water and one for food and water. 
I had one mechanical mishap when my aerobars got a little loose, but I had my tool with me, so I fixed that.
I had a road problem, hit a pothole and lost my extra hydration and nutrition bottles.
I also saw a Shark. Yup, as I was crossing one of the many bridges over the inter-coastal waterway, I saw a small Shark lying on the road.
I figure a fisherman caught it, but didn't care to eat it.

So, I felt good, had only a slight quiver of a cramp at the very end, and had a great weekend.

Of course, watching almost 8 hours of Ironman Kona on the internet added to my enthusiasm for triathlon as well. Glad I had gotten my ride on first!
How about the rest of you? 
2010-10-10 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3144023

User image

South Florida

Good Sunday gang.

Oh man Randi. Stress fratures do not seam like fun. You may have told us, but how did you end up with them? Bummer man. Hope you make a speedy recovery and back in action next year.

Eli, you are going to tear up Cozumel. Wish i was going down there with everyone.  20 days until MCM!

I've hit a slump with some training lately. Can't find the motivation to be myself with training. Not sure what is going on. I'm not over training thats for sure. I'm sure it has to do something with the month of September. See, I changed from the Newtons to K-Swiss shoes and that was a no-no. For about the entire month of September I was injured and hardly ran, So i traded  in the K-Swiss and back on the Newtons. Needless to say, the old saying is true " If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it" I learned my lesson.   Just hope I "get back to normal" soon. I got the Marathon and HIM coming up all within 35 days.

2010-10-11 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Randi - so sorry to hear about the stress fractures - but at least now you know what the issue is and you can fix it. X2 on what Warren said - take the time to fix it right so you don't have to keep addressing this issue.

Eli - glad to hear the bike ride went well! It's really amazing to me how quickly IMCOZ snuck up...enjoy.

About the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" - so, so true. Which I seem to only remember *after* I have fixed it.

Finally back into a groove (of sorts) after spending almost the whole month of September in New Mexico...got really run down last Friday (took the girls school shopping on their day off) and ended taking Saturday off as well - but it put me in a well rested position to do a run that 14 months ago I could barely bike. I'm currently thinking of scheduling a HM late winter/early spring someplace warm for a carrot while I'm training in the dark on ice.

I was so disappointed that Chrissie didn't race on Saturday, but I'm thrilled that Macca won - have been a big fan for a while. Now, I can't wait for the "official" coverage in December. I love watching while on the trainer.

2010-10-12 2:51 PM

User image

NH
Hey all, I've been away a bit too.

Nick - I was in a bit of a funk as well.  Mine was largely expected as I needed a little mental break.  I spent the last few weeks doing next to nothing S/B/R, but got some small projects done and ate a lot!  I'm back after it now though, and looking forward to Jorge's bike plan in a few weeks.

Eli - Cozumel is closing in.  You will crush that course.  I can't wait to read your report.

Jenn - Glad to see you back at it.  It's probably great for you to have taken a small break given the consistently high volume you logged all year.

As for me, I'm going short course next year.  This winter is biking for the next 3 months, then 3 months of Run Less, Run Faster, 5k or 10k version (haven't decided yet).  And next year is going to be biking focus.  My top A race is actually going to be the bike leg of an HIM as a relay member.  Don't kick me out of the triathlon community!

2010-10-18 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Warren,
Sounds like a plan. I took the last two weeks to be lazy myself, and am now very motivated about the home stretch.

I am debating focusing on olympic distance next year with maybe one or two HIM thrown in. The IM training is a HUGE time commitment, and I am not sure I, or my family, is up to it for next year.

I used the Run Less, Run Faster as part of my tri training last year and saw HUGE gains. However, be careful. If you start to feel any nagging injuries, like, I don't know, achilles strain, treat it early. The extra speed really pays off, but you can easily overexert and get injured like I did. However, if you build up the base the way they recommend, you should be fine.

Nick, we should get together for a run this weekend! Last long one before the marathon! 
2010-10-20 4:38 PM
in reply to: #3157409

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Good news!  I had my bone scan done on Monday and followed up with the ortho today.  The bone scan showed no signs of stress fractures or anything abnormal.  He has officially diagnosed severe shin splints.  I am now allowed to stand and walk but need to take it slow and stop if there is pain. I am supposed to go for physical therapy but at $35 per visit,  I am thinking I will have to limit the number of visits and just make sure to do the exercises on my own.  I go back in a month for a follow up. 

Once the shin splints are healed,  looks like I will be visiting the podiatrist again and getting fitted for custom orthotics.  Hopefully that will prevent this from happening again.
2010-10-21 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3163534

User image

NH
Fechter99 - 2010-10-20 5:38 PM Good news!  I had my bone scan done on Monday and followed up with the ortho today.  The bone scan showed no signs of stress fractures or anything abnormal.  He has officially diagnosed severe shin splints.  I am now allowed to stand and walk but need to take it slow and stop if there is pain. I am supposed to go for physical therapy but at $35 per visit,  I am thinking I will have to limit the number of visits and just make sure to do the exercises on my own.  I go back in a month for a follow up. 

Once the shin splints are healed,  looks like I will be visiting the podiatrist again and getting fitted for custom orthotics.  Hopefully that will prevent this from happening again.

That's spectacular news Randi.  Stay on top of it and stay patient.  And hopefully those orthotics will really make the difference going forward.

There's a ton of stuff we can do on your own for shin splints and other pains and injuries.  We just have to really take the time to do it, just like a workout plan.  I keep pitching it, but seriously go here and pole around.  Free PT advice and techniques.

In terms of PT - I never understood why insurance covers us to get all kinds of crazy medications to cover up problems, but not to do physical therapy type stuff to really keep us active and healthy and avoid the truly costly medical issues of the sedentary.  Gotta love special interests.  But I ramble.

2010-10-21 8:05 AM

User image

Master
Randi,
Great news! I agree with Warren, look into the PT and see if you insurance or work has ANY kind of program that can help. I know that my struggle with Achilles tendons has been helped in a huge way by PT (of course, if I actually stopped running for a month.....).

I also have a question, can I put down a workout since I was at a Cowboy Mouth concert last night and danced, jumped around and clapped for about 2 hours straight?  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full Rss Feed  

of 25