BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-03-05 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3383842

User image

Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED
triritter - 2011-03-05 9:04 AM 

Good luck Teddie, smash it!!! and let us know how it goes.

Overall I am pretty happy with my results. I was 9th for my age group (I think there was about 40 people).  The swim surprised me.  I was shocked when I saw a more purple caps behind me than in front of me.  I think I was 13th in the swim.  I did not like it though.  Men 40-55 (they combined groups to start) started behind me.  Overall they were pretty rude about swimming over you.  The bike was pretty good.  My rental bike was horrible, my hands were numb and back was killing me, it was about 4 inches to long in the reach.  I also messed up on the route.  My plan was to get to the half way point and then speed up.  Well, by the time I realized I had the route wrong,  there was only about 2-3 miles to go. So with my own bike and knowing where I was at, I think I could have been faster.  My run was way faster than it felt like.  No one in my age group passed me on the bike and only one person on the run (she had the fastest over all run).  So I am happy with how I did, but could have done things better.  I really did not drink, and that kind of caught up to me.  I also had not done any bricks or OWS, both of which would have been helpful.

2011-03-05 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3384402

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
grownassman161 - 2011-03-05 7:57 PM

There was a pair of SIDI's at the LBS that I'm probably going to go back and get. They fit like a glove and had microfiber suede lining which was so soft and comfortable. The lining was much like nike flats and spikes I've worn in HS and college. They are a huge jump up in price but was told they last forever.

I have a pair of Sidi's that I have had for probably 15 years. Late last fall one of the velcro pieces came unglued from a strap so I sewed it back on. They fit very well, socked or barefoot and have never ever caused me any foot pain. They arent cheap but if they last a long time the price becomes irrelevant.

2011-03-05 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3384419

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

kussmaul - 2011-03-05 8:06 PM .  I also had not done any bricks or OWS, both of which would have been helpful.

no bricks, a bad bike and no open water swims before the event? Sounds like you did Really really well and once you work out those minor "issues" you will be rockin' !!

2011-03-05 8:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
kussmaul - 2011-03-05 8:06 PM

Overall I am pretty happy with my results. I was 9th for my age group (I think there was about 40 people).  The swim surprised me.  I was shocked when I saw a more purple caps behind me than in front of me.  I think I was 13th in the swim.  I did not like it though.  Men 40-55 (they combined groups to start) started behind me.  Overall they were pretty rude about swimming over you.  The bike was pretty good.  My rental bike was horrible, my hands were numb and back was killing me, it was about 4 inches to long in the reach.  I also messed up on the route.  My plan was to get to the half way point and then speed up.  Well, by the time I realized I had the route wrong,  there was only about 2-3 miles to go. So with my own bike and knowing where I was at, I think I could have been faster.  My run was way faster than it felt like.  No one in my age group passed me on the bike and only one person on the run (she had the fastest over all run).  So I am happy with how I did, but could have done things better.  I really did not drink, and that kind of caught up to me.  I also had not done any bricks or OWS, both of which would have been helpful.

Nice job!! For being a "fish out of water" without OWS experience and a familiar bike, looks like you still turned in a nice day. Great start to the season.

2011-03-05 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3384455

User image

Regular
DaveL - 2011-03-05 9:33 PM
grownassman161 - 2011-03-05 7:57 PM

There was a pair of SIDI's at the LBS that I'm probably going to go back and get. They fit like a glove and had microfiber suede lining which was so soft and comfortable. The lining was much like nike flats and spikes I've worn in HS and college. They are a huge jump up in price but was told they last forever.

I have a pair of Sidi's that I have had for probably 15 years. Late last fall one of the velcro pieces came unglued from a strap so I sewed it back on. They fit very well, socked or barefoot and have never ever caused me any foot pain. They arent cheap but if they last a long time the price becomes irrelevant.

THanks for the info I think I'll go with them, I'm not too hard on gear so they should last a long time for me too

2011-03-05 9:42 PM

User image

Tyler,

nice work out there!!!! 

2011-03-05 9:43 PM

User image

Tyler,

nice work out there!!!! 

2011-03-06 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3384402

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
grownassman161 - 2011-03-05 6:57 PM

Bought some pearl Izumi Tri Fly III's but wasn't comfortable in them. My LBS where I got them ensured that I could return them within 60 days since pearl has that guarantee which is good. They rubbed alot on the top of my foot where the small strap was and also the big straps hit the crank arms when I sinched them down ( I like min snug)... Has anyone tried these? do they break in?

Any thoughts on either shoe?

Some of the best advice I've had has been never go cheap or compromise on the two areas that contact your bike -- "feet and "arse"
2011-03-06 9:56 AM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
kussmaul - 2011-03-05 7:06 PM

great job!!! The behaviors in the ows are the only ugly side of Tri I've ever seen. Not sure what motivates people to immediately kick you off their feet when you're trying to find a spot. I've been kicked and swam over a few times - best advice would be to keep working on your swim ability so you can speed up or keep pace and stay out of harms way (added benefit of drafting). Congratulations!!!

2011-03-06 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3256799

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
would a good strong dolphin kick be frowned upon?
2011-03-06 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3385321

User image

Regular

revamped schedule and extra goals...

New schedule includes 3 bikes, 3 swims, 5 runs. Going to start commuting to work by bike at least one day a week maybe two after a while.

A big one for me is I'm going to try to stay beer free (after my camping trip this weekend) until my tri on May 14th. The most I can have is two glasses of wine per week.

Since I'm getting new tri shoes and a tri suit I feel I should make sure I'm in good shape and maybe even "fast" for my tri in may.

2011-03-07 5:57 AM
in reply to: #3384858

User image

Tyler,
cam111 - 2011-03-06 9:56 AM
kussmaul - 2011-03-05 7:06 PM

great job!!! The behaviors in the ows are the only ugly side of Tri I've ever seen. Not sure what motivates people to immediately kick you off their feet when you're trying to find a spot. I've been kicked and swam over a few times - best advice would be to keep working on your swim ability so you can speed up or keep pace and stay out of harms way (added benefit of drafting). Congratulations!!!

Go into and expect contact, that's what I do. Also you could always use the fist drill if someone messes with you too much.

2011-03-07 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran

Nice job out there.  With all of the issues you still killed it!

2011-03-07 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3385927

User image

Dallas, TX

Thanks!  I had a lot of fun.  Palm SPrings if beautiful and the weather was perfect, so the bar has been set high for good experiences!

I have a dilemma and need some input.  I am scheduled to do my Olympic tri in a little less than a month Surprised  I am considering trying to change my entry to the sprint distance.  I am not sure if I am just being a baby, or if it is a good idea.  So here are all my reasons for changing:

• I am traveling a ton this month (I have 5 trips between now and then).  That makes fitting the biking and swimming in challenging.  I'm not that worried about the lack of biking, I know I can get through 24 miles.
  • Because of traveling, I am not going to be able to do any OWS practices before the race.
  • The Oly is on Sunday, Monday I am going on vacation to Hawaii (Cool)  Doing the race and making the 5 hour drive back home would suck (I hate driving)>  I would be very rushed getting ready for my trip the next day.  The sprint is on Saturday.
  • More than once during the swim Saturday I thought that I really did not want to swim 3x that distance anytime soon.  I was not tired, nervous, etc, just did not want to do it.  I don't think the water for this swim will be as still as it was Saturday.  (This is the big reason, I am nervous about the swim).
  • I had a lot of fun this last race and want to make sure I don't overface my self and not have fun.

Thoughts?  

Thanks.

2011-03-07 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3386163

User image

Veteran
kussmaul - 2011-03-07 10:09 AM

Thanks!  I had a lot of fun.  Palm SPrings if beautiful and the weather was perfect, so the bar has been set high for good experiences!

I have a dilemma and need some input.  I am scheduled to do my Olympic tri in a little less than a month Surprised  I am considering trying to change my entry to the sprint distance.  I am not sure if I am just being a baby, or if it is a good idea.  So here are all my reasons for changing:

• I am traveling a ton this month (I have 5 trips between now and then).  That makes fitting the biking and swimming in challenging.  I'm not that worried about the lack of biking, I know I can get through 24 miles.
  • Because of traveling, I am not going to be able to do any OWS practices before the race.
  • The Oly is on Sunday, Monday I am going on vacation to Hawaii (Cool)  Doing the race and making the 5 hour drive back home would suck (I hate driving)>  I would be very rushed getting ready for my trip the next day.  The sprint is on Saturday.
  • More than once during the swim Saturday I thought that I really did not want to swim 3x that distance anytime soon.  I was not tired, nervous, etc, just did not want to do it.  I don't think the water for this swim will be as still as it was Saturday.  (This is the big reason, I am nervous about the swim).
  • I had a lot of fun this last race and want to make sure I don't overface my self and not have fun.

Thoughts?  

Thanks.

In my opinion, if you do not feel prepared for the longer distance then stick with the sprint.  You do not want to have a bad experience that will make you not like the sport anymore.  Also, it sounds like with the traveling it is going to be very difficult for you to get the OWS in...this is important if you think the water is going to be rougher than the last one.  Just my thoughts.

2011-03-07 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

I think the obvious solution is to give me the tickets to hawaii and you do the Olympic

Ideally I would stick to the sprint to build confidence and try to get more OW swims in before jumping into the olympic distance.This would be the safe logical thing in my mind (ie. boring)

Now if you cant bump down to the sprint I would still do the Olympic just take it easy, make finishing and getting accustom to the Oly distance your goals. You can swim the distance, even if you have to take a break or two, who cares? Sometime you just have to commit and jump in with both feet, ready or not.

2011-03-07 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3385789

User image

Regular
triritter - 2011-03-07 6:57 AM
cam111 - 2011-03-06 9:56 AM
kussmaul -

Go into and expect contact, that's what I do. Also you could always use the fist drill if someone messes with you too much.

I like the fist drill!

2011-03-07 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3385789

User image

Regular

Edited by grownassman161 2011-03-07 5:51 PM
2011-03-07 5:56 PM

User image

Regular
kussmaul - 2011-03-07 11:09 AM

Thoughts? 

Thanks.

How many other sprints have you done, was this your first? If its logical to step up and you can train enough between now and then then take the leap. I know you said you were worried about training while traveling, not sure how much you can get in but you will need a lot more swimming I would think to get comfortable. If you plan ahead for your trips you can probably get in what you need.

Good luck and nice job on this one with those difficulties you ran into.

2011-03-07 6:06 PM

User image

Regular
Any right or wrong way to do corners when swimming? I practiced some tonight and mostly used my inside arm to pull accross my body and let the outside arm reach further out. Also my upper body leaned into the corner so to speak. I'm going to look up some videos on youtube but if you have thoughts let me know.
2011-03-07 10:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish

Good job on your sprint Teddie.  I'm jealous that you're racing already while I've got a couple months to go still.

As far as which distance to do next I would suggest checking with the race director to find out when you have to make a decision.  If you can switch a few days out then you can keep training toward the Oly but back down if things don't go as planned.  There's nothing wrong with sticking to sprints for a while, or even permanently, if that's what you're happy and motivated to be doing.

2011-03-08 6:15 AM

User image

Tyler,
kussmaul - 2011-03-07 10:09 AM

Thoughts?  

Thanks.

Due to your logistics switch to the sprint if you can. Tell the race director (Aaron) I am your mentor I have a sponsorship with them. Looks like we can finally meet out there. There are several of us in this group doing the Kemah triathlon. I plan to be out watching the sprint as I have a good buddy I help coach out there.

2011-03-08 6:16 AM
in reply to: #3386529

User image

Tyler,
DaveL - 2011-03-07 12:29 PM

I think the obvious solution is to give me the tickets to hawaii and you do the Olympic

Ideally I would stick to the sprint to build confidence and try to get more OW swims in before jumping into the olympic distance.This would be the safe logical thing in my mind (ie. boring)

Now if you cant bump down to the sprint I would still do the Olympic just take it easy, make finishing and getting accustom to the Oly distance your goals. You can swim the distance, even if you have to take a break or two, who cares? Sometime you just have to commit and jump in with both feet, ready or not.

I like your idea, I'll skip the races if I can go to Hawaii.

2011-03-08 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3387683

User image

Dallas, TX
triritter - 2011-03-08 6:16 AM
DaveL - 2011-03-07 12:29 PM

I like your idea, I'll skip the races if I can go to Hawaii.

Not giving up my vacation to anyone!!!Laughing  I'm going to see if I can change to the sprint.  If I can't I'll do the olympic and hope for the best!

2011-03-08 10:03 PM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
Schedule challenges for me...Texas 70.3 is out.  Anyone doing New Orleans 70.3?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28