BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-06 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3484855

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED
Mike_D - 2011-05-06 6:54 AM

How to deal with lack of focus and motivation during swimming workouts?

How do I toughen up on the swim? Just HTFU? My pace per 100 is around 1:40, and has been fairly consistent for a while. Its not an effort thing, and in fact someone this AM told me I was a 'pretty good, fast swimmer'. (!!!). But I just lose my motivation when I'm there. Anyone else experience this? Maybe its just a plateau? I'm still a real newbie swimmer (couldn't do 25 yards last July),  so maybe thats a factor? Perhaps a new swim workout routine? right now I'm following a plan and in general the workouts follow a WU/Drills/Main set/CD pattern. Maybe for my main set I'll go do the '0 to 1650' endurance build plan. I think I need some concrete goal in front of me to get me truly motivated, and maybe that would help (althought I could swim 1650 now if I tried).

Sounds like you need to be challenged!!  a 1:40/100 pace really is not shabby at all, so you probably are considered on the faster side as far as tri swimmers go, but since you say you couldn't do 25 yds a year ago then I'm sure you have even more improvement ahead...

I bet you could hit sub 1:20/100. 

How's that for a challenge? Wink More like a dare. I dare you to work toward that sub 1:20/100yd pace.

You haven't mentioned kicking, but you have mentioned the getting mentally tougher part of cycling/running.  It sounds like you haven't had a swim workout that makes you cry uncle... if you want one, I'll see what I can do!

2011-05-06 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3485028

User image

Master
Dunedin

suzielea - 2011-05-06 9:14 AM Mike - What motivates you on the run/bike? Is it the scenery? the fact you're outside? A goal by itself is useful but you need to have something to motivate you to go for it too. Maybe play the "golf game" someone described early in this group or if you're at the pool when there's others there try and pick a "rabbit" to chase - ie someone you check out at each turn round to see how they're going or just to look at them (I'm guessing if you go at the right time there's bound to be some nice ladies doing laps too, lol.) Another thing that may work - usually works for me - is get a training partner. That was the main way I was able to build up my endurance before (this time she get's to help me be consistent too, lol) or just some tough self talk. Like "Suzie/Mike the plan saids you have to do this (insert plan instructions) why are you giving up so quick? Are you tired? no Are you xyz (insert other reasons why giving up may be an option)? no THEN GET SWIMMING THEM!" That should help when things get really tough, or you could use someone who inspires you as motivation "If A (insert person's name) can do B (insert what they can do) then I can get this whole workout in." Does that help?

Suzanna offered awesome suggestions, espcially that last one.

I volunteered at Ironman Lake Placid in 2009 (I'm getting goose bumps typing about it...).  Swimmers have a smidge over 2 hours to complete 2.4 miles.  One man knew he wasn't going to make the cut off to be able to start the bike portion, but he gave it his best when that cannon went off at 7am... he was in his 40s and had a stroke after he signed up for IMLP.  The stroke paralyzed one side of his body so that he could only swim with one arm.  Not being a quitter, he got in to show his little girl that he could be an awesome role model and show her never to give up.  After the time cutoff, he was still in the water swimming to the swim exit.  He had about 20 lifeguards, kayakers, etc following him to the exit and there were only about 10 people left on the beach to watch his big moment. 

It was one of the most moving things I've ever seen- a man, mentally ready for the Ironman challenge, only able to use one arm to swim 2.4 miles.

So, feel free to use that as a source of inspiration.  There are TONS of YouTube videos on triathlon swims.  The ones with just the right music make me want to run out and jump in some water... well... maybe after the water crawls out of the 50* temps!

2011-05-06 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3485127

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
WittyCityGirl - 2011-05-06 8:57 AM
Mike_D - 2011-05-06 6:54 AM

How to deal with lack of focus and motivation during swimming workouts?

How do I toughen up on the swim? Just HTFU? My pace per 100 is around 1:40, and has been fairly consistent for a while. Its not an effort thing, and in fact someone this AM told me I was a 'pretty good, fast swimmer'. (!!!). But I just lose my motivation when I'm there. Anyone else experience this? Maybe its just a plateau? I'm still a real newbie swimmer (couldn't do 25 yards last July),  so maybe thats a factor? Perhaps a new swim workout routine? right now I'm following a plan and in general the workouts follow a WU/Drills/Main set/CD pattern. Maybe for my main set I'll go do the '0 to 1650' endurance build plan. I think I need some concrete goal in front of me to get me truly motivated, and maybe that would help (althought I could swim 1650 now if I tried).

Sounds like you need to be challenged!!  a 1:40/100 pace really is not shabby at all, so you probably are considered on the faster side as far as tri swimmers go, but since you say you couldn't do 25 yds a year ago then I'm sure you have even more improvement ahead...

I bet you could hit sub 1:20/100. 

How's that for a challenge? Wink More like a dare. I dare you to work toward that sub 1:20/100yd pace.

You haven't mentioned kicking, but you have mentioned the getting mentally tougher part of cycling/running.  It sounds like you haven't had a swim workout that makes you cry uncle... if you want one, I'll see what I can do!

I think you nailed it. I need a challenge, and when I'm running or biking, its me against  the next hill or whatever is in front of me or around the corner (or my own head). I feed off that tremendously, and it drives me. Swimming, I don't get the same feedback from my surroundings.

1:20? cry uncle? Bring it on......

Kicking? My kick is almost non existent. I do enough so my legs don't sink (much) but my swim is mostly upper body.

(I started swimming last July. I had never had a swim lesson in my life, and quite frankly could not swim at all. So thats where I started. )

2011-05-06 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3294922

Extreme Veteran

Sara - I can take the pics but I have no way of putting them up. May get BFF to put them on FB so I can link them though. I'm going to try some ow mucking around while I'm there too just to convince myself that being scared of OWS is "all in my head." I think it's more to do with the first/last time I actually went IN (as opposed to wading) I jumped in from a platform in the middle of an OWS pool (it's cordoned off from the rest of the sea by walls etc) and went straight under and swallowed a whole heap of salt water, lol. I'll try just swimming around this time and see how I go. Put some kick drills in his (Mike's) workout sara that should challenge him, lol.

I'm going to show BFF the beginners workout so she knows what I'm concentrating on. I'm also thinking of buying myself a kickboard in the near future - thinking I'll try with the ones lying around at the pool and if they work get my own personal one. Did I mention BFF want to do laps with me now?

2011-05-06 9:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Hit the pool on the way home.  Did 300 yards then 5 x 100 yards.  SPL was terrible / back up to 27, but speed was solid and effort was easy at 2:20 / 100m.  Lesson tomorrow AM that hopefully will help me dial things in a bit more.

After dinner, headed out for an easy recovery run.  Just over 10 minute pace for 2.4 miles.  Extremly comfortable and relaxed.  Hopefully these additional easy miles will help with my running.

2011-05-06 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3484782

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
50andgettingfit - 2011-05-05 11:09 PM

I left San Jose this morning at 5:30, drove down to L.A. to pick up my daughter then we got into Tempe about 7:30 tonight. Long day but glad we made it! Tomorrow morning I'm picking up my niece at the airport (she was smart and is flying!) and we'll go to check in in the afternoon. Latest report is the race will be wetsuit legal I'm a little nervous but excited to get my first race of the season done.

Who else is racing this weekend?

Johanne

Go get 'em Johanne!!!!

2011-05-06 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3484782

Joanne-

Have a great race!

Tracie

I left San Jose this morning at 5:30, drove down to L.A. to pick up my daughter then we got into Tempe about 7:30 tonight. Long day but glad we made it! Tomorrow morning I'm picking up my niece at the airport (she was smart and is flying!) and we'll go to check in in the afternoon. Latest report is the race will be wetsuit legal I'm a little nervous but excited to get my first race of the season done.

Who else is racing this weekend?

Johanne

2011-05-07 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Thanks for all the encouragement! Race report coming later but I finished! Unofficial results are 3:38:38 and last years Oly was 4:01:52 so I got a huge PR!!! We should get to 100 degrees here in Tempe and I'm spending the afternoon drinking

Johanne

2011-05-07 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3486821

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
50andgettingfit - 2011-05-07 2:01 PM

Thanks for all the encouragement! Race report coming later but I finished! Unofficial results are 3:38:38 and last years Oly was 4:01:52 so I got a huge PR!!! We should get to 100 degrees here in Tempe and I'm spending the afternoon drinking

Johanne

Great job Johanne!

2011-05-07 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3486821

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Fantastic job!!!! And I like your post race plans!!   Nice improvement over the last race!
2011-05-07 3:43 PM

User image

Awesome job, Johanne!  Enjoy those drinks!

I hit the pool on Tuesday morning after working a 12 hour night shift.  Can I say I will not be doing that anytime soon!  I barely got through my swim which was a 6x100m with 4x50m drills.  I just had no energy. I got into bed at about 12 noon and was up again at 4:30pm to get my run in as I had another 12 hour night shift to do.  I wanted to stay on schedule.  Well, we live and learn don't we?

I finally got the bike outside and it was wonderful.  My 10 and 13 year old son's came out and couldn't keep up with me lol.  I am sticking to a schedule so it was only a short ride but it felt great to be out.  As I am new to this tri thing, I am not stressing about time.  It is all about the journey right now.  And I have to say it is one fun ride so far. 

2011-05-07 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Johanne-GREAT job on such a huge PR!

Lori-that's fun that you "chicked" your sons!

Now... to dig up some "cry uncle" practices!

2011-05-07 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
Ok, as you all know this has been a very frustrating start to my season. I had planned to to get back on track last week end, but ended up coming down with a serious ear infection. I slept 16 hours on monday. Anywho, finally got back on the road today. Did a 20 minute run. Not sure how far I ran. Going to figure that out after work and then log it.
2011-05-07 8:38 PM

User image

Glad to see there are others like me...having trouble getting into the swing of things. Multitude of reasons: Crappy spring with nothing but rainy, cold weather, lack of a routine in all things, a tiny bit of depression (weather maybe?), children's schedules, and the emotional ups and downs of a house sale that keeps getting postponed. We have a beautiful house that we are ready to buy, loans are done, inspections and appraisals complete and our buyer is having some issues getting his loan. THis has been going on since March...3 extensions later, we may or may not close this week and if we don't, we may lose out on our dream house and eat $2000. We have been "camping" on mattresses in our house and eating on a card table since March 20th. That's my sad story...I have trouble working out regularly when my routine is not right...Cross your fingers that this is resolved soon.

With that said...I am doing the first 5k of the season. I've only been out about 5 times this spring, but it's time to suck it up and quit being a baby! If I keep waiting until I move...I may not run til June at this rate! last year I PR'd it, don't think I will even come close to that, but it will be enough to be out there.

Made it out on the bike finally for two short rides...reminded me why I love the bike the best!

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

2011-05-07 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

oh Nadaswimmer--I hope you get your house soon! Real estate stress is always the worst!

Tomorrow I am doing a practice run for my 1st race which is in 2 weeks--the organizers are having anyone who is registered (and wants to) come out and do the full thing--I wanted to just to see how everything will be. Unfortunately, the wetsuit I bought isn't showing up--until Tuesday...Grr. My coach, bless her heart, loaned me hers--its WAY too small, so I ended up renting one for tomorrow...I tell you trying on multiple wetsuits is a workout in itself!!!!

Anyway, now that I have all my gear set, I'll pack up and have a good time tomorrow!- They also will cater a lunch for us afterwords! Woohoo! FREE FOOD!!!

Hopefully I will sleep well--the last three nights have been really bad--less than 3 hours sleep each night! I'm beginning to feel it...oh well, I'm giddy enough to feel awake right now!

2011-05-08 1:33 AM

Extreme Veteran

Here's my race report from Today. http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/beginners/first-race-report-7

Now I'm going to try catching up with what everyone else is going.

2011-05-08 1:37 AM
in reply to: #3486305

Extreme Veteran

Curt - good work with the swimming and running.

Johanne - Woohoo on the new PR

2011-05-08 1:44 AM
in reply to: #3486907

Extreme Veteran

Iwilltri - Hope you can work out a training schedule that works with the work one soon. Love that your sons couldn't keep up with you on the bike ride.

Jhw - Glad to hear you're back on track again

Nada - Hope the house thing gets sorted out and that you don't lose the one you want

Kate - Hope the practice race goes well. I was going to suggest you see how you go without a wetsuit and then assess whether it's really needed but I think you're solution will work better. Hope you get yours soon.

2011-05-08 1:44 AM

Extreme Veteran

Iwilltri - Hope you can work out a training schedule that works with the work one soon. Love that your sons couldn't keep up with you on the bike ride.

Jhw - Glad to hear you're back on track again

Nada - Hope the house thing gets sorted out and that you don't lose the one you want

Kate - Hope the practice race goes well. I was going to suggest you see how you go without a wetsuit and then assess whether it's really needed but I think you're solution will work better. Hope you get yours soon.

2011-05-08 6:19 AM
in reply to: #3487414

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
suzielea - 2011-05-08 1:33 AM

Here's my race report from Today. http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/beginners/first-race-report-7

Now I'm going to try catching up with what everyone else is going.

That's one in the books Suzie, a big congrats!  Hardest part with any journey is the first step.  Now that you know you can finish the race (and how much fun it is), time to get the next couple lined up.

Hope you have a great Mother's Day and enjoy the accomplishment.

2011-05-08 7:58 AM
in reply to: #3487476

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Curt I did and I will. I'm thinking I may fiddle around with my keys so I can put the medal on them (comes on a lanyard but you can use it as a keyring too.)

Next challenge is to workout my next step. With the asthma still being a bit iffy due to a current cold I'm thinking finish the 5k plan I'm on then move to the 10 to get my body used to endurance again so I can build up the cardio/breathing again but I'm not totally sure. I may just finish the 5k plan and then reassess where I am as to whether I should continue walking or start running and if so what plan I should go with.

2011-05-08 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3487554

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Take your time Suzie.  If you have to walk, so be it.  I grew up very athletic and competed at reasonably high levels.  After destroying a hip and then blowing an Achilles, realized that as you age going too fast, too soon has bad results.  A year ago I started in with the tri training.  Only in the past month or so have I felt "good" when I train.  As a result, I've been going very easy on distance and pace.  Think the best thing to do is take your time and realize why you are doing this -- for some health benefits and a bit of a challenge.  Doubt any of us are going to be the next Macca or Wellington, so enjoying the journey is where it is at.

Make sure you do keep the medal somewhere you can see it.  I've got my two finisher medals on my desk at work.  Looking forward to adding four more this year.  The third one is likely going to get a special place as it'll be a special victory over the one race last year where I turned in to a mental midget.

Enjoy the day.

2011-05-08 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Here's my race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=251298&posts=1#M3487680

2011-05-08 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose
Iwilltri2 - 2011-05-07 1:43 PM

Awesome job, Johanne!  Enjoy those drinks!

I hit the pool on Tuesday morning after working a 12 hour night shift.  Can I say I will not be doing that anytime soon!  I barely got through my swim which was a 6x100m with 4x50m drills.  I just had no energy. I got into bed at about 12 noon and was up again at 4:30pm to get my run in as I had another 12 hour night shift to do.  I wanted to stay on schedule.  Well, we live and learn don't we?

I finally got the bike outside and it was wonderful.  My 10 and 13 year old son's came out and couldn't keep up with me lol.  I am sticking to a schedule so it was only a short ride but it felt great to be out.  As I am new to this tri thing, I am not stressing about time.  It is all about the journey right now.  And I have to say it is one fun ride so far. 

Lori,

It's hard to fit it all in isn't it? I hope the nicer weather up there gets you out more. I'm totally with you with this fun tri ride! You have to enjoy the training since we spend most of our time doing that. Then you race, then you have fun working on stuff again

Johanne

2011-05-08 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Kate, have fun at your race practice today. Just see how it goes and then see what went well and what you want to work on for your race. I think we come away from each race with a list of things to work on the next time so enjoy yourself.

Tim, sleep was probably what you needed. Hope your workouts get back on track but make sure you take care of yourself too.

Laura, I hope your house buying all works out for you. That's such a stressful time and I'm with you on finding it hard to get workouts in when our routines are whacked! Great job with your 5K! It sounds like it was tough with those hills but you did it! Racing with friends is fun but sometimes you need to do your own thing and good for you for doing that

I feel pretty good after yesterdays race. I spent the afternoon drinking lots of water and then my niece and my 2 daughters and I went out for a great dinner and Lemon Drops. Yum! I then slept really well

Hope all the Mom's are having a great Mother's Day and I hope all the Dad's are spoiling their wives!

Johanne

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72