BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2012-05-03 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3965644

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013

Thanks, all. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. I am doing okay. And you are all right, in that I also believe things do happen for a reason, and that you have to focus on your todays, cuz there might not be any tomorrows. I will admit I freaked a bit when I heard about Scott - a mitral valve replacement survivor and a great triathlete coach - when you are a 2-time cardiac survivor, it hits home how whatever part got fixed might run out of warranty at any given moment, even if you are physically active.

Anyway, the nutrition question... I also do Infinit on the bike. But 6 hours of it, or anything else, doesn't make me want to drink it for another 6 (yeah, I DID mention I was slow, right?). Timing wise, I came out of T1 for IMFL 2011 realizing the Garmin was still set on run timing, so rather than mess with it, I just used the beep-every-mile as a reminder to make sure I drank. It made a BIG difference as I know I have a tendency to get mentally into the chasing-the-next-rabbit game and not drinking enough.

With that process, I felt like I was nutritionally more prepared for the run. On the run I alternated aid stations...1 was water and perform...2 water only, or with a handful of grapes to take if they had them...3 water,perform...etc. when it started getting dark it got a little cooler, and they brought out chicken broth, which i switched off the Perform to the broth every other station. The salt in it helped keep away any substantial loss.

Briana is right though, as is Billy... the best thing to do is play with it on training days. After all, the non-A races are just "catered training days" anyway, right?

2012-05-03 11:18 AM

Regular

When you mention the infinit, I have a few questions after reading about it

• did you guys use the personal dietician to figure out what the best infinit for you would be or did you just use their online questionnaire?  I am not sure what I even want or need...
  • How are their flavors? 
  • Can you buy it in stores to try out in  advance before jumping in and placing an online order?

it seems a little hard to decide what to get if you haven't tried any of their stuff before.  Although attractive as I have heard a lot of good things about it

2012-05-03 11:41 AM

User image

Expert

Pam, unfortunately, you can't buy Infinit in the store, so you basically have to jump in and order it.  It is a little pricey to "try" because if you don't like it or it doesn't work, you have the whole bag left.  

With that said, when I was ready to try it, I called them.  I guess I got the dietician, but honestly don't recall.  I do know that I did not pay anything for the consultation.  She asked me what I was training for, how much I weighed, how often I work out, what were my workout conditions (I live in Texas, so hot), how much I sweat (do I have salt on me after a workout), do I like a stronger taste or less of a taste, etc.  All questions to help her determine how to set the formula.

I may be lucky, but that first formula seemed to taste great and work well, so I have not tweaked it at all.  I know others felt like the taste was too strong or something else was off, so they try to change a little bit on the next order.

It can never hurt to give them a call and ask them all your questions.  

2012-05-03 4:17 PM

User image

Walla Walla

I took a longer break than I expected.  Here's the cliff notes version:

1. Training derailed with insane respiratory infection somewhere around valentitne's day - ok probably the day after the historic national one mile run. 

2. Husband hits the wall with some kind of debilitating osteoarthritis - gets cortisone shots - two weeks after cortisone he's back to square one - worried I'm going to wake up in the morning and have a bedridden sleep deprived monster on my hands.  Pain hits 7-8 constantly with spikes to 9.5 (on a sclae of 10) in the morning no mater what pain releiver they give him.  Takes 30 minutes to get out of the bed.  Doesn't sleep at all.  At all. Schedules appointment with accupucture/kinesthesiologist (not sure if I spelled either of those right)

2.a.  7yo Daughter in prolonged asthma flare (due to idiot urgent care doctor sending me home with cough syrup: note to self, never go to urgent care again) - doing nebulizer every 3 hours (night, school, you name it, on and off for weeks).  Finally get high dose prednisone.  Ah, peace, she's sleeping, but I'm still not.

3. Finally get meds (heavy antibiotics, prednisone, albuterol) for respiratory crap.  Mostly clears up after 10 days but still lingers.  Figure I'll just have this ... stuff for the rest of my life.  Very happy to have the inhaler and an asthma diagnosis though.  Life is better so I'm willing to accept the mild version on a long term basis in exchange.

4. Husband sees kinesthesiologist, starts accupuncture, and we switch to "paleo/primal" (google robb wolf, sarah fargaso, or mark sisson) type eating plan mid March: no grain, no dairy, no legumes.  No weighing, no measuring, no counting.  Meat, eggs, veggies, nuts, fat, and fruit plus a little cheese and chocolate .  For a girl who likes to eat, and cook, this seems like a bad idea. 

5. Life steadily improves for 6 weeks - all respiratory junk (even the stuff the antibiotics and prednisone didn't quite clear) clears up in a week. All of it, even the inner ear stuff.  No sugar crashes, no mood swings, AND ... no HEADACHES.

6.  Today:  I'm down 12 pounds and I've lost at least 4 inches around my waist, I have worked out three times this week and met with a trainer to increase my weight program.  Sticking with very low hr for cardio. Trying never to get above 75% of maximum and feeling great all the time. As in waking-up-before-the-alarm great.  Husband completely off statin medication (oh I forgot to mention that) and only needs a few advil every day, logging about 5 miles a day in his vibrams - far from bedridden.

HOWEVER, I AM NOW THREE MONTHS BEHIND.  So "training" for the rest of the year will be about listening to my body, going slow, doing what feels right, pitching the training plans, having fun, and seeing what happens.  I will not be following a training plan, but I will try to log.  I don't expect to race until 2013, but I expect NOT to do it in the Athena category. 

Stay tuned.

2012-05-03 7:49 PM

User image

Expert
Pam, I am sure if you asked really nice, people in your training group will send you a one serving sample of what they use as far as infinit is concerned and that way you could test it and see how it works/taste/etc.  I know I would if I had any left.  Also, when i decided that I needed a little more flavor in my mix, I called infinit and they brought an extra sample of the flavor additive to the expo in Louisville.  Very good, scratch that, excellent customer service!  They will work with you to make your formula work.
2012-05-03 7:50 PM

User image

Expert

Suzie, amazing!

Lena, I really miss you!

2012-05-03 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4189143

Regular
Suzie Weathermon - 2012-05-03 5:17 PM

1. Training derailed with insane respiratory infection somewhere around valentitne's day - ok probably the day after the historic national one mile run. 

2. Husband hits the wall with some kind of debilitating osteoarthritis - gets cortisone shots - two weeks after cortisone he's back to square one - worried I'm going to wake up in the morning and have a bedridden sleep deprived monster on my hands.  Pain hits 7-8 constantly with spikes to 9.5 (on a sclae of 10) in the morning no mater what pain releiver they give him.  Takes 30 minutes to get out of the bed.  Doesn't sleep at all.  At all. Schedules appointment with accupucture/kinesthesiologist (not sure if I spelled either of those right)

2.a.  7yo Daughter in prolonged asthma flare (due to idiot urgent care doctor sending me home with cough syrup: note to self, never go to urgent care again) - doing nebulizer every 3 hours (night, school, you name it, on and off for weeks).  Finally get high dose prednisone.  Ah, peace, she's sleeping, but I'm still not.

3. Finally get meds (heavy antibiotics, prednisone, albuterol) for respiratory crap.  Mostly clears up after 10 days but still lingers.  Figure I'll just have this ... stuff for the rest of my life.  Very happy to have the inhaler and an asthma diagnosis though.  Life is better so I'm willing to accept the mild version on a long term basis in exchange.

4. Husband sees kinesthesiologist, starts accupuncture, and we switch to "paleo/primal" (google robb wolf, sarah fargaso, or mark sisson) type eating plan mid March: no grain, no dairy, no legumes.  No weighing, no measuring, no counting.  Meat, eggs, veggies, nuts, fat, and fruit plus a little cheese and chocolate .  For a girl who likes to eat, and cook, this seems like a bad idea. 

5. Life steadily improves for 6 weeks - all respiratory junk (even the stuff the antibiotics and prednisone didn't quite clear) clears up in a week. All of it, even the inner ear stuff.  No sugar crashes, no mood swings, AND ... no HEADACHES.

6.  Today:  I'm down 12 pounds and I've lost at least 4 inches around my waist, I have worked out three times this week and met with a trainer to increase my weight program.  Sticking with very low hr for cardio. Trying never to get above 75% of maximum and feeling great all the time. As in waking-up-before-the-alarm great.  Husband completely off statin medication (oh I forgot to mention that) and only needs a few advil every day, logging about 5 miles a day in his vibrams - far from bedridden.

HOWEVER, I AM NOW THREE MONTHS BEHIND.  So "training" for the rest of the year will be about listening to my body, going slow, doing what feels right, pitching the training plans, having fun, and seeing what happens.  I will not be following a training plan, but I will try to log.  I don't expect to race until 2013, but I expect NOT to do it in the Athena category. 

Stay tuned.

Suzie, Welcome back!  I too have missed you.

2012-05-03 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4189530

Regular
pedmpa - 2012-05-03 9:48 PM
Suzie Weathermon - 2012-05-03 5:17 PM

Stay tuned.

Suzie, Welcome back!  I too have missed you.

And awesome job on the great recovery at your house.  It looks like the whole family is gaining in health after the miserable spring!  I admire your tenacity in sticking with it, it really is about the journey in the end.  

2012-05-03 9:05 PM
in reply to: #4189432

Regular

elcaminobill - 2012-05-03 8:49 PM Pam, I am sure if you asked really nice, people in your training group will send you a one serving sample of what they use as far as infinit is concerned and that way you could test it and see how it works/taste/etc.  I know I would if I had any left.  Also, when i decided that I needed a little more flavor in my mix, I called infinit and they brought an extra sample of the flavor additive to the expo in Louisville.  Very good, scratch that, excellent customer service!  They will work with you to make your formula work.

I set up an appointment for a call. Just from the look of it I will go for the fruit punch flavor.  I am hoping for something that works and enables me to work out without feeling so super exhausted all the time (although I am sure not traveling to Europe every month will help - did I mention I have a new job, Yay!!!)  Most people think their formulas are great so I am excited.

I admit, I cannot figure out their do it yourself questionnaire it seems decidedly unscientific, so I am hoping the live person will be of more help. Are you salty or crusty after a work out, really, that's a question?  I will ask my dogs next time i get in from a work-out as they lick my legs enthusiastically.   I am sure this question has a purpose it just seems so funny....

2012-05-03 9:22 PM

User image

Expert
Thats actually a very good question.  I find it very easy to answer.  I am very salty and or crusty, depending on the intensity of the workout.  Others are not.  You can actually see the salt on my black trishorts.
2012-05-03 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4189577

Regular

elcaminobill - 2012-05-03 10:22 PM Thats actually a very good question.  I find it very easy to answer.  I am very salty and or crusty, depending on the intensity of the workout.  Others are not.  You can actually see the salt on my black trishorts.

Maybe I am not salty or crusty after working out or I would know?  Another possibility is that I do not work out hard enough?   Don't really mean to make light of it, or maybe just a little

2012-05-03 9:39 PM
in reply to: #4188353

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
pedmpa - 2012-05-03 11:18 AM

When you mention the infinit, I have a few questions after reading about it

• did you guys use the personal dietician to figure out what the best infinit for you would be or did you just use their online questionnaire?  I am not sure what I even want or need...
  • How are their flavors? 
  • Can you buy it in stores to try out in  advance before jumping in and placing an online order?

it seems a little hard to decide what to get if you haven't tried any of their stuff before.  Although attractive as I have heard a lot of good things about it

Pam, I have the bike formula (with protein), i use it for both run and bike*** I also have the recovery drink. I'm happy to send you samples of each Just pm me your address if you are interested Mine are stock formulae, because i don't really have any special issues and don't see the need to pay extra for custom formulation. I believe all mine are Fruit Punch, which is my favorite flavor BY FAR...

***...according to Infinit lady I spoke to, I'm "a freak of nature", because only 2% of people (or some crazy low number similar) tolerate protein on the run. I got it bc they had it under run, always wondered why it had a picture of a guy on a bike, ran 3 marathons with it before I found out through a phone call about smth else that it is, indeed, a bike formula..
2012-05-03 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4189580

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
pedmpa - 2012-05-03 9:27 PM

elcaminobill - 2012-05-03 10:22 PM Thats actually a very good question.  I find it very easy to answer.  I am very salty and or crusty, depending on the intensity of the workout.  Others are not.  You can actually see the salt on my black trishorts.

Maybe I am not salty or crusty after working out or I would know?  Another possibility is that I do not work out hard enough?   Don't really mean to make light of it, or maybe just a little

Honestly, I think it may be more of a guy thing? I'm not salty or crusty either. I mean, on longer runs (15 miles+), i can tell my sweat is salty, but nothing like what Billy is describing.

Speaking to a live person will help you a ton. I have always spoken to the same lady, can't recall her name, but she is nice. I've also emailed back and forth with Matt, the owner, and he is super nice and responded to my every email!
2012-05-03 9:42 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Suzie Weathermon - 2012-05-03 4:17 PM

Stay tuned.

Suzie, oh my goodness.. That is A LOT to take in. You poor thing.. i hope things get better for everyone in your family!!!!!! I will keep you in my prayers! Welcome back
2012-05-03 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4189435

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
elcaminobill - 2012-05-03 7:50 PM

Suzie, amazing!

Lena, I really miss you!

I'm here I need to do an update of my own to explain my lurkiness, but tomorrow... now, sleepy time

P.S.: When are you coming to get your cake??
2012-05-04 5:52 AM

User image

Expert
In case y'all are wondering, what Lena said is code talk for "she has the hots for me"

2012-05-04 5:55 AM
in reply to: #4189758

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
elcaminobill - 2012-05-04 5:52 AM

In case y'all are wondering, what Lena said is code talk for "she has the hots for me"
lol
I know I shouldn't openly tell you you are insane, because you have a lot of guns... but you are insane!
2012-05-04 8:35 AM

Extreme Veteran
Suzie. Great job

Patrick prayers are with you

Ann -- here's the link.

Http://www.pcf.org/imc12/reece
2012-05-04 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4189598

User image

Expert
Lyoshka - 2012-05-03 9:41 PM
pedmpa - 2012-05-03 9:27 PM

Honestly, I think it may be more of a guy thing? I'm not salty or crusty either. I mean, on longer runs (15 miles+), i can tell my sweat is salty, but nothing like what Billy is describing. Speaking to a live person will help you a ton. I have always spoken to the same lady, can't recall her name, but she is nice. I've also emailed back and forth with Matt, the owner, and he is super nice and responded to my every email!

Don't know that it's more of a guy thing because I frequently have salt on me after a workout.  Maybe not always so much that you see it on my clothes, but enough that I can see it and feel it on my body.  After last night's workout I could definitely feel it on my face.  

2012-05-04 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
Suzie - Thats good news.  Are you referring to the book by Mark Sisson recently published on nutrition and fitness titled Primal Blueprint.  Have you read Paleo diet for athletes by Dr. Loran Cordain and Joe Friel?
2012-05-04 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4190306

User image

Walla Walla
Fit4 - Yep, just finished reading Primal Blueprint and it seems everyone writing about the research at some point refers to Cordian and Friel. I imagine as I begin to log more time I'll need to add some extra squash and sweet potatoes, but I do plan to keep my heartrate low even if it means I can't run for more than 30 seconds.  Also, I went to see the kinesiologist/accupuncturist yesterday and now I'm all tuned up.  Turns out my chronic lower back pain might be a vitamin E deficiency, and I have some kind of adrenal problem.  This stuff is cool.

2012-05-04 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Suzie, so happy to hear that things are getting better for you and your family.

I did the questionnaire for Infinit but I would prefer to speak to a real person.  I requested a call but not quite sure if they will call me or not.  I find it odd that I have no caffeine in my mix.  Pam, I too thought the questions were a little off but I understand what they are asking.

I gave in and went back to my physical therapist about my nagging hamstring.  Not quite sure how to take the news I got.  We are going to take an aggressive approach and right now I am steroids, in hopes that the imflammation will go down, if that doesn't work then they will schedule an MRI and figure out what to do next after that.  

2012-05-04 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Suzie, so glad to see your face lightup the screen again!!  Sorry to hear that spring has not been kind to you and your family.  Gald to hear it sounds like you are turning the corner!!  Glad you have a plan.  Life is all about adjusting.  I will pray for continued improvements for all.  Personally, I am struggling with recurrent headaches that I believe are sinus in origin.  Maybe I will PM you more info. Between that, my exercise induced, tachycardia and a chronically inflamed periformous (SP??) I am struggling (but still training hard) and it sounds like you have found some answers.

Lena,  have I already said what a wealth of information you are??  You always astound me!!  I glean so much from your posts, so although I don't always have itme to comment, Thank You !!

2012-05-04 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4190038

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Got it the link, thanks.

Happy B Day (tomorrow) to you know who.  Make it a good one.

2012-05-04 8:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the donation.

I am one salty dude. I use a custom formula. I have a couple deifferent ones. One with more electrolytes for extra hot weather and on other with less flavor for concentrated bottles. So I guess that is three but there is really six because I use orange and fruit punch. Don't really like the lemon lime except for short stuff so I don't buy it much. I also is their fruit punch recovery stock formula.

I highly recommend the consultation. By the way, many times when you call the owner will answer.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57