2013-02-10 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4550197

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: RFP GROUP 2013 - CLOSED

Good Morning Team

Just wanted to say hello and wish Jenn good luck in her race today Smile

Have a great day everyone. Rest and class prep on tap for me today - and a wee bit of ice on this IT band.

KC

2013-02-10 5:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Timmer, great job on your race!  

KC, all that I have heard about IT is foam rolling all the time.

Pierce sounds like we are kinda in the same business as I work with banks and credit unions.

Had a good bike ride on Saturday and run today.  I sent my coach the videos from the tri clinic and she gave me some tips for running that I was trying to incorporate today.

Have a great week and everyone has a good week of training.

Kathy (KTC)

2013-02-11 12:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Happy Monday Team!

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I've had a great start to the week, brick workout followed by a PT session which was awesome. I'm really looking forward to Sunday's race now. I did a 400m TT yesterday just to check my time and I found I am 2 minutes faster than this time last year so all the strength training and drills are paying off. I'm really hoping to shave some minutes off last year's effort on the bike and run too.

Also it looks like I found a regime to keep the achilles niggles at bay. The good old roller and a deep calf massage each night as well as my usual stretching. I had no problems at all with it today. I also bought some Orthoheel sport orthotics, cheaper than the podiatrist which I can't afford at the mo, but they have serious instep support and my feet hardly pronate at all. It'll probably take me a week or two to get used to them, but I'm hoping they'll do the trick so I can keep running regularly.

I finally found some accommodation for Shep too today, which is a load off my mind!

So how is everyone else traveling?

2013-02-11 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4615689

New user
Chicago

tkaufmann60 - 2013-02-09 11:43 AM WTB - I can't wait for that race either. ( Ironman Racine ). I will be there also. Luckily I was able to get a room at the Radisson Harborside. KTC - Nice brick workout. KC Golf - I had IT band issues after a marathon but haven't tried the roller stretches. It can't hurt by doing them, or have you heard it can cause issues? I ran in the Seroogy's 15K this morning in 9 degree Green Bay. I've never had my eyebrows and eyelashes freeze before! However I usually run on the treadmill in winter. Anyways, somehow I ran a 1:16 in 9.3 miles for a 8:10 min/mile pace! Just hope I didn't overdo it. I planned on taking it easy for maybe a 9 min/mile pace, but I'm a bit shocked and pleasantly surprised. It was a great event with hot chocolate, coffee Seroogy's chocolate meltaways, orange slices, and a nice piece is cheese afterwards! Have a great Sarurday, Timmer

Not that I am aware of.  All I know is that it works really well.  Poor mans massage.  

http://www.strengthcoach.com/public/1303.cfm

http://running.competitor.com/2012/06/running-injuries/roll-away-injuries_35211

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-11080976

2013-02-11 8:59 AM
in reply to: #4615687

User image

Regular
Hey Willtryforbeer, I am doing Racine HIM.  I live about 15 minutes from the beach that it starts on, and am staying with a firend that hosts some pro's each year.  I will also be in Denver on the 22nd-26th.  I'd love to talk with you about doing some kind of training (swim or run, or both). 
2013-02-11 10:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder

Tim K - Awesome on the Radisson. It was booked by the time I got around to it. Nicely done on the frozen race too!

Simmone - Sounds like a fun time on the ol' mountain bike! Good luck on your upcoming race!

Troy - So we should definitely get an RFP meet-up going at Racine since so many of us are doing it! R U in Denver in February? I usually train in the Boulder area if you wanted to head that way (30 minutes) the trails are great. I swim at Colorado Athletic Club in Boulder. They have 2 saline pools (one outside) that are fabulous. Highly recommend it. My email is [email protected] if you want to get in touch with me.

Swimming while it was snowing on me this morning was quite nice. I've been swimming anywhere from 1600 - 2000 meters 3 times a week. So as far as the swim portion of the HIM I'm ready. Ha ha. Now I just gotta get the bike going

Happy Monday everyone!

2013-02-11 9:32 PM
in reply to: #4617397

User image

Expert

We all definitely need to get together at racine.  I also tried for Raddison but they had two night minimum and since my wife works Saturday mornings and it is pretty close just couldn't justify going up for two nights.

My training plan starts next week (Tuesday) and I am actually nervous about getting myself back into training mode.  I have just been really struggling lately.  Last year was this crazy balancing act of IM training, family, work and band.  This year I find that i am just so thrown off so easily.  Hopefully it is just because it still cold out and pre-season.  Normally I try to be the one encouraging people but I really think I am gonna need your guys support to get my butt in gear.

Racine is gonna be here before I know it and I want to have a great (fast) race this year.

Tomorrow is the bike...now is time for bed.  Have a great night everyone.

WillTriForBeer - 2013-02-11 10:31 AM

Tim K - Awesome on the Radisson. It was booked by the time I got around to it. Nicely done on the frozen race too!

Troy - So we should definitely get an RFP meet-up going at Racine since so many of us are doing it! R U in Denver in February? I usually train in the Boulder area if you wanted to head that way (30 minutes) the trails are great. I swim at Colorado Athletic Club in Boulder. They have 2 saline pools (one outside) that are fabulous. Highly recommend it. My email is [email protected] if you want to get in touch with me.

2013-02-11 9:55 PM

User image

Regular
I will host a party a chez moi.  I'd be about a 20 minute drive from most Racine hotels.  Google "Jelly Belly Pleasant Prairie" and that is almost where I live (about a mile east)

Edited by t-royboy 2013-02-12 7:49 AM
2013-02-11 10:10 PM
in reply to: #4618365

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

I reckon you'll be fine Tim. It's only natural that you are going to have a bit of a downer after having such a massive build up with the IM, etc. That's just the cycle of emotions involved. You might find the first couple of weeks of your program tough, but I reckon once you get into a rhythm and routine it will all fall into place again, training, family, work & band.

I think you will do amazing! Smile

tmoran80 - 2013-02-12 2:32 PM

My training plan starts next week (Tuesday) and I am actually nervous about getting myself back into training mode.  I have just been really struggling lately.  Last year was this crazy balancing act of IM training, family, work and band.  This year I find that i am just so thrown off so easily.  Hopefully it is just because it still cold out and pre-season.  Normally I try to be the one encouraging people but I really think I am gonna need your guys support to get my butt in gear.

Racine is gonna be here before I know it and I want to have a great (fast) race this year.

2013-02-12 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Tim, I agree with Simone!  I bet once you actually begin your structured training, you'll be better with your time management and more efficient with juggling all that life throws your way!!  You'll do great!!  And remind yourself occasionally that you do this b/c it is fun and you enjoy it!! 
2013-02-12 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4618380

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

you are so lucky to live close to jelly belly headquarters!  i LOVE those!

t-royboy - 2013-02-11 10:55 PM I will host a party a chez moi.  I'd be about a 20 minute drive from most Racine hotels.  Google "Jelly Belly Pleasant Prairie" and that is almost where I live (about a mile east)

2013-02-12 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4617397

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

swimming outside in a saline pool while snowing sounds so beautiful and cool!!  what's the temp of the outside pool???!

WillTriForBeer - 2013-02-11 11:31 AM

Swimming while it was snowing on me this morning was quite nice. I've been swimming anywhere from 1600 - 2000 meters 3 times a week. So as far as the swim portion of the HIM I'm ready. Ha ha. Now I just gotta get the bike going

Happy Monday everyone!

2013-02-12 10:23 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good morning Team.

Simone - incredible improvement in the pool - keep it up.

AJ - thanks for the vids - awesome.

Tim - no worries my friend - we will help kick you in the a$$ as long as you promise to do the same for us. I will send you a message next Tuesday reminding you to get your but out of bed and get started. Smile

Went to see my physio guy yesterday and have appointement to see chiro tomorrow. I definately have left IT issues. My physio guy should me a simple test and proved to me how tight it is. He is going to work on it and I am going to have my chiro do some ART to it. http://www.activerelease.com/

My physio guy has assured me we can overcome the issue - with some dedicated, committed work to doing so. Good news, as far as we know I have no structural issues - just a little bit of overuse issues (go figure Yell). Anyway, I am dedicated to doing what ever it takes and as of right now I still have the green light to keep to the workout schedule. However, I may not be able to push as much as I want - but thats ok - as long as I can run and bike.

One other thing - going away this coming weekend to Norhern Ontario to do a little sking with some family members and friends. I will probably miss a bike workout but I will be able to run a little and the city I am going to has a nice pool so I will swim.

Have a great day team.

KC

2013-02-12 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder

Troy - party = good. Jelly Belly = good race food

Tim - I'm sure it's the cold, the dark, the fact that you're just starting out again. Once you get back into your rhythm, the days start getting longer and the temps get warmer...you'll be nailing your workouts! And thank you for being the glue that holds this group together. Since you're always there for us with such kind words we can definitely do the same for you!

Kpringle - I am lucky to have such a great pool. It's beautiful when the sun is rising in the east and you can see the Flatirons to the west. Temp is usually between 78-80 degrees. It's also very nice that almost everyone swimming there is a triathlete or at least a very serious swimmer. You can always hear people talking about what race they're doing next. Helps to keep the motivation high.

Got in a run this morning. Nothing great but at least my consistency is building!

2013-02-12 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Troy - I love Jelly Beans!  I would be visiting them all the time.

Jenn - Wow!  Swimming in your pool sounds wonderful and being able to watch the sunrise.  

Simone - glad everything is working out for you.  Now I need to book my lodging for my IM.

Tim - I wish I could say you will be able to jump right back into training like you didn't take a break.  For me I am having a hard time as I gained some holiday weight, new logistics and work has not made it easy on me.  Like you I put work things off for IM training and I am still recovering from that and wondering how am I going to be able to train like I did last year.  It feels like my body doesn't want to respond to all the training that I am doing.  Hopefully, you will experience something totally different from me.   We will be here for you.

KC - have fun skiing!

2013-02-12 4:27 PM
in reply to: #4619649

New user
Chicago
krazytallchick - 2013-02-12 3:58 PM

Troy - I love Jelly Beans!  I would be visiting them all the time.

Jenn - Wow!  Swimming in your pool sounds wonderful and being able to watch the sunrise.  

Simone - glad everything is working out for you.  Now I need to book my lodging for my IM.

Tim - I wish I could say you will be able to jump right back into training like you didn't take a break.  For me I am having a hard time as I gained some holiday weight, new logistics and work has not made it easy on me.  Like you I put work things off for IM training and I am still recovering from that and wondering how am I going to be able to train like I did last year.  It feels like my body doesn't want to respond to all the training that I am doing.  Hopefully, you will experience something totally different from me.   We will be here for you.

KC - have fun skiing!

Recovering properly?  Eating appropriately?

2013-02-12 8:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

AJ - My problem is that I believe my body should be where it was post IM but with any time off we all know that we lose some of our stigma and I was just whinny because I am having to work to get back into that shape.  

Please my diet hasn't been the best but I have now been logging and eating healthier again.  And I cut out my favorite soft drink of Sundrop.

2013-02-13 1:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

WTB - swimming in the snow, that sounds awesome, I saw some of the pics on your blog, I LOVE the sunset shot, what a beautiful way to greet the day! We don't get snow here, but we do manage to get the odd kangaroo here and there on a run and ride. The gym I go to is situated near a state park and I've been doing chinups one morning when the local pack of kangaroos pass by the windows grazing on the grass. Gotta love our friendly wildlife, lol!

KC - Glad to hear there is no structural issues, I hope they can get your IT band issues sorted quickly. Have fun skiing!

I had another good run today, the achilles is a little stiff but no worse than it has been. I've got a short ride and swim scheduled for tomorrow then a couple of days off to recoupe for Sunday. I'm so pumped I cannot wait to race!

Hope everyone else is having a good week, I hope it is starting to warm up a little for you all also.

2013-02-13 8:04 AM

New user
Chicago

1st really intense run after did 5x3:00 with 1:20 between.  First bit GPS was in and out but 2, 3, 4 and 5 were 6:11, 6:05, 5:55 and 5:57.  Max heart rate stayed under 175 for all of them except the last and average for all but the last was under 170.  I had been running that same pace over 2:00 @ about 177-181 2 weeks ago.  

Also cut about 5 seconds off my 50meter splits in the pool two days ago which was exciting.  

And since drastically changing my diet 2 months ago my typical allergies/sinus nonsense has been reduced about 90%.  Will be awesome if that lasts through the spring and summer and basically have me convinced we are being poisoned with processed food... But not jumping to that conclusion just yet.  

2013-02-13 8:43 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

AJ - awesome work my friend.

Team - 1800 meters in the pool this morning - a little short of whay my plan called for today but it was a real good swim - paid real close attention to my TI drill and overall I felt good. Had to cut it sort because of work. Chiro this afternoon for some work on the IT band and then a run later today.

KC

2013-02-13 9:17 AM

User image

Expert

Thanks everyone for the kind words - you guys are awesome!

Got a nice bike ride last night and hit the pool this morning.  Feel much better...

2013-02-13 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4619980

User image

Expert

Kathy I totally agree.  I think most of it is purely mental.  My brain still think or is used to my abilities 4 months ago but my body is telling it "you better get a reality check here buddy" and it is pretty frustrating.  I decided this morning instead of beating myself up and having a terrible 2500Y swim I just had a nice practical 1700Y and felt good the entire workout.  Did the same last night on the bike.  I have been killing myself doing these HARD Trainer Road workouts and decided to just do the Fiesta Island Ride for 45 minutes at about 75% FTP.  

Just easing easing back into it and just forgetting my workouts from September to keep me from depressing myself haha.

krazytallchick - 2013-02-12 8:46 PM

AJ - My problem is that I believe my body should be where it was post IM but with any time off we all know that we lose some of our stigma and I was just whinny because I am having to work to get back into that shape.  

2013-02-13 10:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder

Kathy - just remember that you are awesome and an IRONMAN. The training will get there eventually it'll just take some time. Enjoy the journey

KC - enjoy hitting the slopes!

Simone - that would be crazy to see kangaroos on a training run/ride. With how much I love wild animals...I would be overjoyed to see that! Sounds like you are really hitting your marks and enjoying yourself...keep up the good work!

I had a super-fantastic lift this morning. I don't usually put too much thought into how my lifting went but today I couldn't help but notice. My back was stronger and no pain in the left shoulder during any exercise. Just felt strong all around. I don't know if this if from cutting out some more processed foods and eating more whole foods but whatever it is it worked.

2013-02-13 12:41 PM

User image

Regular
Happy "Lent" everyone.  My thing I am giving up is going to bars...(Esp after last night, UGH!)
2013-02-13 2:39 PM

User image

Regular

Since I was at the doc's office today in a gown with no ties on the back I got some stats that I'd like to share since I am just getting into changing my diet and training for the HIM in July:

• Height: 5'9.75"

• Weight: 166.5

• BP: 126/86

• Pulse 64

• BF 11%

• Temp: 97.6 (taken 2x, same result)

• Will report blood results later when they arrive in the mail.

Zone 3 HR @ 155 according to my garmin all week both on the bike (130 cadence?) and running (btw 8:00 and 8:10 min/mile)

300M swim in ~ 6:00

Edited by t-royboy 2013-02-13 2:41 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RFP GROUP 2013 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41