BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-07-22 3:21 PM
in reply to: Bull

User image

Regular
Subject: fun weekend
congrats to all the racers esp. our mentor!

Well eighteen months of training and my deals over. Before the race I chatted with a woman wearing a USAT suit. Turned out it was Laura Adams..She was third overall! incl the guys. She is 46.

I only gained about five min. on my total time over same race last year.... by getting my awesome bike.

Swim was bumper cars all the way. My OWS helped my confidence a lot. My time was slower than last year. It was more choppy. My transition was kinna long. I must have been more tired than I realized.

Bike I came in fiftieth out of a hundred n thirty. I was pleased. I had a super quick transition because I didn't really feel tired and I run after EVERY time I bike even if its just five min. to get past the pain stage.

Couple blocks into the run I notice too many people passing me. I pick someone my height with a reasonable pace and try to keep up. I couldnt.

I think I kinna panicked at that point because I realized something was wrong. I notice my HR is too high. I am doing a ten min mile and cannot understand why its so high.
I end up running along with a clydesdale about 35 years old he was keeping a pretty steady pace. I left him behind after a while. I kept looking behind me to make sure no one in my AG was closing on me.
At about a mile...I actually decided to stop a second time since my running was so lousy anyway.... for ten seconds and see if I could get my HR to drop. No it wouldn't.

I stopped at mile one and a half for another ten seconds. that didnt bring on any rush of energy either.

I sprinted the last 80 yards up the hill to the finish and felt i put in all my effort this year.
  • .and no I was not dehydrated. My training runs were no longer than 2 mile race distance. bad decision.

• So....I came in sixth out of nine in my age group...and fitieth out of 130 on the bike. I really am proud of my ride on the big hill. I never even stood. kept my head down and hammered it.

Looks like a LOT more track work.

2013-07-23 10:38 AM
    in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Regular
    East Wenatchee, Washington
    Subject: RE: fun weekend
    Originally posted by dustytrails

I only gained about five min. on my total time over same race last year.... by getting my awesome bike.

Bike I came in fiftieth out of a hundred n thirty. I was pleased. I had a super quick transition because I didn't really feel tired and I run after EVERY time I bike even if its just five min. to get past the pain stage.

Couple blocks into the run I notice too many people passing me. I pick someone my height with a reasonable pace and try to keep up. I couldnt.

I think I kinna panicked at that point because I realized something was wrong. I notice my HR is too high. I am doing a ten min mile and cannot understand why its so high.
    I end up running along with a clydesdale about 35 years old he was keeping a pretty steady pace. I left him behind after a while. I kept looking behind me to make sure no one in my AG was closing on me.
    At about a mile...I actually decided to stop a second time since my running was so lousy anyway.... for ten seconds and see if I could get my HR to drop. No it wouldn't.

I stopped at mile one and a half for another ten seconds. that didnt bring on any rush of energy either.

I sprinted the last 80 yards up the hill to the finish and felt i put in all my effort this year.
  • .and no I was not dehydrated. My training runs were no longer than 2 mile race distance. bad decision.

• So....I came in sixth out of nine in my age group...and fitieth out of 130 on the bike. I really am proud of my ride on the big hill. I never even stood. kept my head down and hammered it.

Hey Linda:

Congrats on a solid race. Given the challenges, it sounds like you did well. Terrific on the bike! 50 out of 130 is strong!

You've already figured out that additional run/track work will probably help your performance. I agree. Hopefully the heat will back off so you have more flexibility to get in some additional training runs.

You commented, as did several others, regarding heart rate levels during races. Some thoughts for consideration:

An elevated HR during races is, I think, pretty common. As the adrenalin of the race kicks in the tendency is for us to push our paces well beyond our training paces. Even short bursts of speed (catching someone, passing, dodging another racer) all take a toll. This can easily elevate the HR beyond your expected range. Further, the accumulated fatigue from the swim and bike really hit on the run. The result is an elevated heart rate that can feel very uncomfortable and foreign, perhaps at or even below your planned race pace. The same pace you easily ran in training can become quite challenging when preceded by an aggressive swim and bike legs (plus heat) that has worn down your system. For example, I've been training all summer for a sub-7:00 mile pace on the run leg by doing lots of training in the 6:30+/- range, even as low as 6:00 paces. However, in my race last weekend I REALLY struggled to maintain a 7:20 while my HR was in the red zone. I walked through four aid stations on the course. That was probably a result of pushing very hard on the bike and the hot weather, so I'm not terribly surprised by it.

How many of us go out and put in an aggressive training run immediately following a tough bike or swim workout to simulate race conditions? I don't...at least not very often.

So, I guess the conclusion is to not be too surprised by HR levels during a race that both feel high and, in fact, are high. And that's just the nature of the beast. I remember a youtube video of Dave Scott a while ago talking about racing and training. I paraphrase here, but he basically concluded by saying, good training is about teaching the body to endure discomfort and good racing is continuing to perform while in even greater discomfort. And as we all know an elevated HR is pretty uncomfortable.

Anybody else have thoughts?

Steve
    2013-07-23 3:36 PM
    in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member
    Subject: RE: Chelan Man Olympic

Originally posted by lutzman

I had a very good race at ChelanMan. Out of the 400+ finishers in the race I was 15th overall and 1st in my age group. 

I am sure glad you are not in California!  You are an inspiration.  I recall you saying you have only been doing tri's for a couple years and you are regularly winning your age group.

Good job!

2013-07-23 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Texas
    Congratulations to all the racers! All of you did so well - injured, slow, goggle troubles, heart rate issues... Remember, you all were doing something that the majority of the population doesn't engage in! I love reading the race reports - the successes as well as the parts that didn't go so well. Such good human interest! I had an opportunity to do the Tour de Paris bike ride this past Saturday, but having worked out twice a day all week, my body said, "Rest!" So I took off the entire weekend. Monday, I ran 4 miles @ an avg. pace of 9:52 which is fast for me. Rest does a body good! Then went to the lake and swam, and taught my class that evening. Today, a 3 mile run and a Spin class! Still trying to decide about races. I need to do at least one more tri this year. Planning on a Labor Day 15k run. Some vacation time next month.
    2013-07-23 3:46 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Yeah, after this past weekend, I know that feeling!  I'm planning to run so much that I am almost afraid I will forget how to swim and ride a bike!  Surprised

2013-07-23 5:29 PM

User image

Regular
    Subject: Pace Calculator
    Some of you may have seen this website before. I was reminded of it by an article on the USA Triathlon site about running 5k races to build speed. In any case, the website below has a couple of cool features. You can enter a past race and it will use that info to project your time at shorter and longer distances. Better still, you can put in a goal pace and it will suggest the appropriate interval paces to help you train to hit that speed.

Enjoy!

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

Steve

2013-07-23 7:40 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

So, I guess the conclusion is to not be too surprised by HR levels during a race that both feel high and, in fact, are high. And that's just the nature of the beast. I remember a youtube video of Dave Scott a while ago talking about racing and training. I paraphrase here, but he basically concluded by saying, good training is about teaching the body to endure discomfort and good racing is continuing to perform while in even greater discomfort. And as we all know an elevated HR is pretty uncomfortable.

Anybody else have thoughts? Steve

Back in the 70's and 80's when I was training at the height of my swimming career, we didn't have heart rate monitors.  That was still several years away.  HR monitors that worked underwater were still decades away.  We did however, use heart rate a little bit in our training.  Back then, we trained by the "No Pain, No Gain" motto.  Simply stated, if you finished the workout and you were not in agony, you did not have a good workout.  We used heart rate at the end of a set and then 2 minutes later to determine LT and recovery rate.  Of course, until you get to the longer distances, swimming is largely an anaerobic sport so while it is now know we could have trained smarter, we probably weren't doing ourselves any major harm.

Now days, it is generally understood that to be successful in an endurance event like a triathlon, you need to become an aerobic machine.  To accomplish that, to actually develop our aerobic/fat burning system, we need to train at much lower heart rates for the majority of our training.

That likely can create challenges on race day.  First, it is a race so the adrenalin is going to be pumping.  Then there are the other contestants and all the things that brings; dodging around them, getting kicked, hit, slowed down, etc. by them, the negative impact on your pacing that being near so many other people may cause.

If you are not doing regular high intensity, maximal efforts in your workouts (aka speed work) you will not be used to a red lined heart rate.  Back in the day, it was all I could do to get my HR up to 140 in training; that was after maximum effort over seemingly endless intervals.  But on race day, after just one 100 meter event, my HR would be over 180.  That was VERY uncomfortable!  On race day, by definition, you are making a maximal effort over the course of whatever event you are competing in.  Your heart rate is likely going to be well above the zone 2 aerobic training we regularly do in the pursuit of triathlon competition.  Above LT, you will be exercising anaerobically, using carbohydrate for fuel, and creating massive amounts of lactic acid, which will force you to slow down soon enough.  If your HR gets to the red line (your lactate threshold) your only real option is to slow down before your body forces it.  Stopping for a few seconds, by itself, is not going to significantly reduce your HR.  On the other hand, slowing down will decrease heart rate and will flush lactate out of your bloodstream - both of which will allow you to continue on. (Never mind the refueling requirements of extended zone 3 and 4 exercise.  That is a discussion for another time and another day.)

As Dave Scott so eloquently said, and Steve so accurately quoted, "good training is about teaching the body to endure discomfort and good racing is continuing to perform while in even greater discomfort."  I will take that a step further.  Your tempo runs are the days when you are training your body to handle the higher zone 3 and 4 heart rates.  Those are the days that will serve you very well as your approach the very dark place known as 'Lactate Threshold' on race day.

I don’t recall ever competing in a race in which I wasn’t in pain at the end.  I am here to say however, that when you stand on the podium, you aren’t thinking about the little bit of discomfort.

“Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can do what others can’t.”  Unknown author.

Edited by k9car363 2013-07-23 8:05 PM
    2013-07-23 8:44 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

I was looking at pictures of me running at the 5K last weekend and made a startling discovery.  My right foot turns out nearly 45 degrees most of the time.  I had no idea I was doing that until I saw the photos.  Looking at a string of pics it looks like I should be limping, which I am not, but it clearly creates an uneven gait.  I will include a couple pictures at the end of this post.

Before I go further, for clarification, I was at the doctor about two weeks ago to follow-up the DVT in my right leg (hence the compression stocking on my right leg).  The doctor has no problem with me working out, triathlons, etc.  Unfortunately, my Kaiser plan does not pay for custom orthotics so that is not really an option.

So, a couple quick questions:

1)  I have a serious over-pronation problem.  Currently I am using Saucony Grid Fiya Neutral shoes with orthotic inserts.  Been thinking for some time about stepping up to Brooks Beast to deal with the over-pronation.  Could the over-pronating be contributing to this problem?

2) This morning, I really focused on keeping my feet pointed in the right direction and was largely successful.  I discovered a couple things, a) this is going to be a hard bad habit to break, b) having my feet in the proper orientation led to much quicker fatigue, and c) as I fatigued it became increasingly difficult to keep my foot straight.

3) Are there any drills that might help with this?

(The pictures are copies of proofs from the race web site.  The first one is as I was running across the finish line, the second one is walking on the course).

Any comments will be appreciated.

Edited by k9car363 2013-07-23 9:08 PM

(rt_foot.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    rt_foot.jpg (9KB - 18 downloads)
    2013-07-23 11:32 PM

User image

Regular
    Originally posted by k9car363

I was looking at pictures of me running at the 5K last weekend and made a startling discovery.  My right foot turns out nearly 45 degrees most of the time.  I had no idea I was doing that until I saw the photos.  Looking at a string of pics it looks like I should be limping, which I am not, but it clearly creates an uneven gait.  I discovered a couple things, a) this is going to be a hard bad habit to break, b) having my feet in the proper orientation led to much quicker fatigue, and c) as I fatigued it became increasingly difficult to keep my foot straight.

3) Are there any drills that might help with this?

(The pictures are copies of proofs from the race web site.  The first one is as I was running across the finish line, the second one is walking on the course).

Any comments will be appreciated.

Scott--I have to admit, you stumped me with this one. I just don't have any experience with this so I don't know if the answer is very focused training to change your foot strike or to just go with it and figure that you run the way God intended. Perhaps there is a local running coach that can give you some feedback.

I would imagine the reason you got tired so fast when you changed your stride is running the new way stressed an entirely different muscle group. I experience the same thing when my swim coach messes with my stroke. It's suddenly hard do to what seemed quite doable moments before.

I can tell you there is a local guy here about our age that I've seen around races for years. We even ended up qualifying and running the Boston Marathon the same year. He has the most awkward, gangly and just plain weird looking running gait that I've ever seen on anyone. His legs fly all over the place but end with a footstrike that is not dissimilar to what you show in your photo. You know what? He's a pretty competent runner (sub 3:20 marathon).

So, I don't know if the answer is to practice specifically to change your footstrike or just practice to get better conditioned at what you're comfortable doing. But either way, I still think you can be a solid runner.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

PS--I don't think you should be in a neutral running shoe. As I understand it, neutral shoes are for folks that have a strong mid-foot strike, higher arches and very little pronation/supination at all. Hence, the neutral shoe isn't built to provide that support. Ask your running shop, but I would think you would want a stability shoe that provides a lot of support for you as a heel striker.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2013-07-23 11:36 PM
    2013-07-24 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Texas
    Subject: RE: Pace Calculator
    http://beta.active.com/running/Articles/What-Is-Cardiac-Drift-and-H...

This is an interesting article for those who are experiencing heart rate issues while running.
    2013-07-24 7:00 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

This morning my wife and I went out with a video camera.  (The things our loving spouses do for us!  We really should all take a moment and thank our other halves for all the things they do that help make our triathlon dreams a reality).  I did 8 laps on a 400 yard track; 1 WU, 6 x 200 run, 200 walk, 1 CD.  Had my wife video tape every step.  After I got done, did a couple more laps with my very patient wife in tow and taped with and without the orthotic inserts.

Here are my observations and thoughts:

1) I believe the right foot turned out syndrome is a direct result of the extreme over-pronation of my right foot.

2) I can keep both feet straight if I completely focus on that and only that.

3) When my right foot is straight, my arch completely collapses and my foot/ankle turns inward to an extreme angle (even with the orthotics).

4) When my right foot is splayed out, my arch is not near as collapsed and the over-pronation is not near as pronounced.

5)  The faster I run, the less likely it is that my right foot will splay outward - even without focusing on keeping it straight (I appear to have more of a forefoot strike at faster paces and more of a heal strike at slower paces).

6)  Keeping my foot straight increases fatigue in my right leg.

7)  As my fatigue increases, it is increasingly difficult to keep my foot straight (unless running at faster pace).

8)  Without the orthotic inserts, it is almost as if I am walking/running on the end of my shin bones my foot turns in so badly (ok, an exaggeration but you get the idea).

I am not a physician, nor do I claim to have extensive medical knowledge.  However, I was a paramedic several years ago and I have a BS in Biology with a minor in physiology.  It seems to me that when I gained all the weight a few years ago I cause the collapsed arches.  That lead to the over-pronation.  As the over-pronation became worse, my body compensated by slowing beginning to splay my right foot out.  Today's video seems to support this because the over-pronation is much less severe if my foot is turned outward.

This morning as I ran, there was no pain associated with my right foot straight or splayed out.  The only difference was in the amount of fatigue.  It did seem more efficient to run with my foot straight when I was able to keep it straight (it was faster with less RPE and was objectively faster on GPS pace analysis).

After I got home, I spent a couple hours going over the video, matching up time and pace with video, etc.  I am planning to try and get in to see a podiatrist or whatever other specialist the doc may suggest but I think it comes down to a couple simple things.

1)  Get a pair of good stability shoes (Brooks Beast or equivalent)

2)  Focus on improved form

3)  Focus on strengthening my leg muscles

Any thought from you running experts will be greatly appreciated!

2013-07-24 10:27 PM
    in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular

This morning my wife and I went out with a video camera.  (The things our loving spouses do for us!  We really should all take a moment and thank our other halves for all the things they do that help make our triathlon dreams a reality).  .

After I got home, I spent a couple hours going over the video, matching up time and pace with video, etc.  I am planning to try and get in to see a podiatrist or whatever other specialist the doc may suggest but I think it comes down to a couple simple things.

1)  Get a pair of good stability shoes (Brooks Beast or equivalent)

2)  Focus on improved form

3)  Focus on strengthening my leg muscles

Any thought from you running experts will be greatly appreciated!

Scott:

It's pretty cool that you have the dedication and determination to try to figure this out. As I said in another post, you're well beyond my area of expertise. So know that I've confirmed my advice is worthless....if running is like swimming better form clearly makes a difference. Faster running absolutely requires a mid-foot strike which you have already confirmed. So, if you can get to the point where your running with a mid-foot strike, it has to help both speed and RPE if you have better overall form.

There has to be a good sports physical therapy clinic in your area? If you can get your podiatrist to recommend treatment, your insurance company might pay for therapy. We have a PT clinic in our area that really focuses on athletes because it's run by athletes. They would be all over your running issues with a number of specific training exercises to help you build the strength and capacity to improve your form.

Wish I could be of more help.

Steve
    2013-07-25 12:13 PM

User image

Regular
    Subject: HR/ pronation issues
    Thx for advice on HR.

I am sure it applies to what happened to me to some extent.

I can add another detail. Two days after the race i went to the track to run an EASY 20 min. slowly. I can run two hours on a not blazing hot day.
    Checked my HR .......160 at an eleven min mile pace.

Went to the alternative medicine pharmacy here in Austin. The practitioner suggested I may be high in cortisol. If so it would indicate over training I think ?
    ( see me setting myself up to justify not increasing track w/o's dramatically ?) LOL

That kinna fits my profile because I train a lot being between jobs right now. SO....she sold be Ashwaghanda root to take twice a day. We shall see........

A PT gave me advice about my left foot turn out. She said she thought the calf muscles were pulling my foot to the outside.
    A trainer suggested to start with potential core alignment issues first? ie hip alignment and work way down from there to diagnose foot issues.
    I have L. hip pain and am currently working on flexibility and strength of the hip attachments on that side.

2013-07-25 7:17 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

There has to be a good sports physical therapy clinic in your area?

Hey Steve,

Thank you for the comments.  I had not thought of a PT clinic.  There are nearly a dozen medical schools within 100 miles of my house.  There are Sports Medicine Departments at all the teaching hospitals associated with each of the medical schools and they all work with local amateur, high school and collegiate athletes at reduced or no fee.  It provides a great learning opportunity for the new physicians in training and the overall care is pretty good because it is under the direction of some really big name doctors.  Gonna see if maybe there is an opportunity there to get in for a consult.  Seeing as how I am not in any kind of pain, I don't know that insurance is going to be an option.

I will post updates as warranted.

2013-07-25 7:29 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member
    Subject: RE: HR/ pronation issues

A PT gave me advice about my left foot turn out. She said she thought the calf muscles were pulling my foot to the outside. A trainer suggested to start with potential core alignment issues first? ie hip alignment and work way down from there to diagnose foot issues. I have L. hip pain and am currently working on flexibility and strength of the hip attachments on that side.

I have absolutely no pain.  So I suppose that is a good thing.  I don't have any video/pics of me running (since I have never been a runner) but I went back and looked at old photographs and video to see if the right foot turn out was evident when walking or hiking because it certainly is there now if I don't consciously correct it.  It was there a year ago last May walking on vacation.  Three years ago at Disneyland it was there, although very little, and that was towards the end of nearly 10 hours at the park.  Five years ago there was no evidence of my foot turning out at all near the end of a timed 8-mile physical fitness hike with a 40-pound pack for the search and rescue team I was on.  The appearance of the foot turn out happens to coincide with my ridiculous 80 pound weight gain.  So, we will see what we will see.

2013-07-26 3:08 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member
    Subject: Drool Alert!

Don't know if anyone saw this, Trek released pictures of their new Speed Concept 9 Series bike yesterday.

A little bike porn to get the drool flowing before the weekend!

You know you are a triathlete when you spend more on your bike then on your last car.

(sc9.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    sc9.jpg (37KB - 19 downloads)

2013-07-26 3:24 PM

User image

Regular
    Subject: RE: Drool Alert!

Don't know if anyone saw this, Trek released pictures of their new Speed Concept 9 Series bike yesterday.

You know you are a triathlete when you spend more on your bike then on your last car.

Call me old fashioned, but racing bikes should be either black or red....just like a Porsche.

(Felt DA.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    Felt DA.jpg (47KB - 20 downloads)
    2013-07-26 3:30 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Call me old fashioned, but racing bikes should be either black or red....just like a Porsche.

Yeah, I agree.  I think that was Trek/Radio Shack's TDF color this year?  It is available in a really cool black/titanium.  For what they are asking for the bike, it should change colors with your pace!

2013-07-26 3:36 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Hey Steve -

I assume the Felt picture is your bike?  Nice ride!  Those look like 80 or 90 mm wheels?  Do you have problems with that deep of an aero wheel in crosswind?  Ever run a disc on the back?

2013-07-26 6:32 PM

User image

Regular

Hey Steve -

I assume the Felt picture is your bike?  Nice ride!  Those look like 80 or 90 mm wheels?  Do you have problems with that deep of an aero wheel in crosswind?  Ever run a disc on the back?

Hi Scott:

Yes that's my bike. It's a 2012 Felt DA2. I scored it around Christmas time. I found a dealer in Pasadena (Ebay) that was liquidating his 2012 bikes since the 2013's were already in stock, so I got it at about a 45% discount. Sweeeeeet. I had a 2010 Felt B2 (also bought online at a similar discount) that I sold when I got the new bike.

It sure underscored the value of buying Tri gear online. I used my B2 for two years of training and racing and sold it for only about $200 less than what I paid for it!

I purchased the Zipp wheels separately and was using them on my Felt B2, so I just switched them over when I got the DA2. They are the 80mm Zipp Firecrest wheels. And YES, I do find the front wheel a challenge to hold steady with even a modest cross wind. Since we get a lot of wind here I'm now using the Zipp 808 rear and the Reynolds 66 stock clincher wheel that came with the bike on the front....unless the forecast is for dead calm I no longer use the 808 up front.

Steve
    2013-07-26 6:52 PM

User image

New user
    Hingham, MA

That sure is PURDY!

2013-07-26 8:20 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Hey Steve -

Hi Scott: Yes that's my bike. It's a 2012 Felt DA2. I scored it around Christmas time. I found a dealer in Pasadena (Ebay) that was liquidating his 2012 bikes since the 2013's were already in stock, so I got it at about a 45% discount. Sweeeeeet. I had a 2010 Felt B2 (also bought online at a similar discount) that I sold when I got the new bike. It sure underscored the value of buying Tri gear online. I used my B2 for two years of training and racing and sold it for only about $200 less than what I paid for it! I purchased the Zipp wheels separately and was using them on my Felt B2, so I just switched them over when I got the DA2. They are the 80mm Zipp Firecrest wheels. And YES, I do find the front wheel a challenge to hold steady with even a modest cross wind. Since we get a lot of wind here I'm now using the Zipp 808 rear and the Reynolds 66 stock clincher wheel that came with the bike on the front....unless the forecast is for dead calm I no longer use the 808 up front. Steve

Steve -

That is too cool.  I am an IT Consultant for crying out loud but every time I try to get a good online deal, it blows up in my face.  Been just outright ripped off twice.  Then there was the time the product came, broken into several small sized pieces.  The seller said I broke it.  Another time it took 8 weeks for shipping.  By the time it came I had purchased another one at a local store.  Yeah, given that, I think I am done with online purchases!

I first saw the Trek pic on Facebook yesterday.  I shared it and put something about this bike is out of Santa's budget.  My wife responded and said, "you're gonna have to be a REALLY, REALLY good boy if you want THAT for Christmas."  I told her last night I have no intention of getting a SC9.  HOWEVER, the SC7 Series is like $3-6K less and the only meaningful difference is the front brakes are not integrated on the SC7.  I am scheduled for a Retul bike fit in a couple weeks.  I am comfortable on my Trek Madone and my understanding is if you fit the Madone you will fit the SC bikes.  But I am not spending that kind of money until I KNOW.  The cool thing about a Retul fit is they will match my fit to the available bike frames on the market and recommend the bike or bikes that will be a perfect match.  I haven't fully decided on a TT bike this year.  Don't think it would really help at the Sprint and OLY distances.  Not planning HIM or IM until next year.  In the meantime, been investigating other items; like wheels and powermeters.  Thanks for your thoughts on the 80mm deep wheels.  I think I am leaning towards FLO wheels.  I like the price and I like that they are closer to the end user. 

Do you use a power-meter on your roadie and/or TT bike?  If so, which one?  I am debating the different options.  I kind of have this theory, I don't buy into the LBS hype on any given product - given that they have an agenda to sell you what they stock.  I look to the pros, what are they using?  That is the good stuff.  And I talk to people I respect to hear their thoughts on which of the good stuff is the best stuff.  I think I prefer SRM but put one on a couple bikes and you are into 'mortgage your house' pricing.  Building up a couple wheels with a powertap is probably the economical approach.  Geez, back in the day, you went to the Schwinn store, plunked down your pennies, road away on a new bike, and you were set.

I think I need to start laundering money to keep peace in the house!

Have a good weekend everybody!

2013-07-26 10:26 PM

User image

Regular

Hey Steve -

Hi Scott: Yes that's my bike. It's a 2012 Felt DA2. I scored it around Christmas time. I found a dealer in Pasadena (Ebay) that was liquidating his 2012 bikes since the 2013's were already in stock, so I got it at about a 45% discount. Sweeeeeet. I had a 2010 Felt B2 (also bought online at a similar discount) that I sold when I got the new bike. It sure underscored the value of buying Tri gear online. I used my B2 for two years of training and racing and sold it for only about $200 less than what I paid for it! I purchased the Zipp wheels separately and was using them on my Felt B2, so I just switched them over when I got the DA2. They are the 80mm Zipp Firecrest wheels. And YES, I do find the front wheel a challenge to hold steady with even a modest cross wind. Since we get a lot of wind here I'm now using the Zipp 808 rear and the Reynolds 66 stock clincher wheel that came with the bike on the front....unless the forecast is for dead calm I no longer use the 808 up front. Steve

Steve -

That is too cool.  I am an IT Consultant for crying out loud but every time I try to get a good online deal, it blows up in my face.  Been just outright ripped off twice.  Then there was the time the product came, broken into several small sized pieces.  The seller said I broke it.  Another time it took 8 weeks for shipping.  By the time it came I had purchased another one at a local store.  Yeah, given that, I think I am done with online purchases!

I first saw the Trek pic on Facebook yesterday.  I shared it and put something about this bike is out of Santa's budget.  My wife responded and said, "you're gonna have to be a REALLY, REALLY good boy if you want THAT for Christmas."  I told her last night I have no intention of getting a SC9.  HOWEVER, the SC7 Series is like $3-6K less and the only meaningful difference is the front brakes are not integrated on the SC7.  I am scheduled for a Retul bike fit in a couple weeks.  I am comfortable on my Trek Madone and my understanding is if you fit the Madone you will fit the SC bikes.  But I am not spending that kind of money until I KNOW.  The cool thing about a Retul fit is they will match my fit to the available bike frames on the market and recommend the bike or bikes that will be a perfect match.  I haven't fully decided on a TT bike this year.  Don't think it would really help at the Sprint and OLY distances.  Not planning HIM or IM until next year.  In the meantime, been investigating other items; like wheels and powermeters.  Thanks for your thoughts on the 80mm deep wheels.  I think I am leaning towards FLO wheels.  I like the price and I like that they are closer to the end user. 

Do you use a power-meter on your roadie and/or TT bike?  If so, which one?  I am debating the different options.  I kind of have this theory, I don't buy into the LBS hype on any given product - given that they have an agenda to sell you what they stock.  I look to the pros, what are they using?  That is the good stuff.  And I talk to people I respect to hear their thoughts on which of the good stuff is the best stuff.  I think I prefer SRM but put one on a couple bikes and you are into 'mortgage your house' pricing.  Building up a couple wheels with a powertap is probably the economical approach.  Geez, back in the day, you went to the Schwinn store, plunked down your pennies, road away on a new bike, and you were set.

I think I need to start laundering money to keep peace in the house!

Have a good weekend everybody!

Hey Scott:

I haven't jumped for the Power meter or Power tap yet. That's $1,500 bucks I'm not ready to spend. I kind of figured that since I still need a lot of fitness and experience on the bike it was a luxury I could put off for a couple of years. So, maybe next year? I'd like to find one used to save some coins, but we'll see.

I highly recommend the Retul fit. I've done them on three bikes and it makes a huge difference. It doesn't seem like a lot at first but the more I ride the more I appreciate the correct fit.

I do think the TT bike is a real benefit if one can afford two bikes. My speed goes up about 2 mph when I drop from the bar tops in to aero without any change in effort. That's six minutes of saved time in an Olympic race!

Happy shopping!

Steve
    2013-07-29 9:20 AM

User image

Regular
    Subject: Last lap of summer
    Hard to believe we're on the cusp of August. That can only mean one thing...the last full month on Triathlon season (at least for us northern folk) is upon us. While the weekends are now populated with multiple events to choose from, in a little over 30 days the lakes and temps will chill and tri-sport event calendars will empty.

So, I hope you've got at least one event on your race calendar before this race season closes...even if just to show up, participate and enjoy the camaraderie of other multi-sport enthusiasts.

George Sheehan wrote many years ago, "Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." If he would have been born 40 years later, he would have been a triathlete rather than a marathoner.

Have fun out there. No excuses!

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2013-07-29 9:21 AM
    2013-07-29 11:18 AM

User image

Regular
    North Carolina
    Subject: RE: Last lap of summer

Hard to believe we're on the cusp of August. That can only mean one thing...the last full month on Triathlon season (at least for us northern folk) is upon us. While the weekends are now populated with multiple events to choose from, in a little over 30 days the lakes and temps will chill and tri-sport event calendars will empty.

So, I hope you've got at least one event on your race calendar before this race season closes...even if just to show up, participate and enjoy the camaraderie of other multi-sport enthusiasts.

George Sheehan wrote many years ago, "Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." If he would have been born 40 years later, he would have been a triathlete rather than a marathoner.

Have fun out there. No excuses!

Steve

Got my sixth and final tri of the season August 31st. Then a 200 mile Bike MS ride in New Bern, NC the following weekend. This old tired body is worn out and tired, after this one it's time to rest, recuperate, recharge and start training for next season. In the meantime I'll do bike rides and 5 and 10Ks with the wife and take some time to enjoy my grandchildren. There are few family runs coming up this fall and we plan on making them family days.

All in all for my first season not too bad (IMO), one first place finish in my age group (8th overall), this was in early June where I peaked, my performance has been down hill since then and I've been nursing a calf injury, two 3rd place finishes, and one dead last in my age group in my last triathlon (TRIANGLE TRIATHLON August 20th). From the first triathlon in March, to the most recent, it's been a journey and experience I wouldn't trade for nothing. I've made some great friends and plan to continue to do triathlons as long as my health holds out. My dream is to someday enter a triathlon alongside my grandchildren. My four year old grand-daughter has already run a couple of children's fun runs, she's already good swimmer, takes after her mother who was a high school and collegiate swimmer.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37