Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-07-06 6:09 PM
in reply to: badgerintx

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN

I wasn't going to race this weekend, but our Team Director called me and convinced me to throw my bike into the ring for State Criterium Championships.  I rode really strong and really smart and picked up some hardware.  2nd overall in the race and State Criterium Champion for my age group. (45+).   

Makes up a little bit for finishing off the podium last weekend.  Add another jersey for the wardrobe!  Nice to have 2 State Champs jerseys hanging in the basement in the same year!   

(State Crit Medals.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
State Crit Medals.jpg (172KB - 25 downloads)

2013-07-06 6:21 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Congrats Dino!!  Very impressive!!
2013-07-06 9:43 PM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Expert
Noosa
Huge effort Dino, you must be getting quite a reputation on the local cycling scene!
2013-07-06 10:23 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Congrats! Celebrating with Jukebox Hero??
2013-07-07 5:25 AM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Woo-Hoo!!!!  Spontaneity pays off BIG.  Love it Dino.
2013-07-07 7:41 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
TDF getting exciting.  I just watched stage 8 NBC highlights.  I wish I could have seen that live.  Stage 9 is going to be even more interesting with 4 cat 1 climbs.  Watch if you can.

2013-07-08 5:57 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by dconTDF getting exciting.  I just watched stage 8 NBC highlights.  I wish I could have seen that live.  Stage 9 is going to be even more interesting with 4 cat 1 climbs.  Watch if you can.

Much more exciting than last year. The speeds they get to on the flats are amazing, 40 mph coming into the final town - notice how I used mph for all you Americans!

2013-07-09 5:38 PM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Elite
san francisco
Congrats, Dino! You are a bike racing machine!

David, thank you for the conversion, 40mph just seems implausible, impossible and super dangerous! Amazing.

Hope everyone is having a good week, I couldn't bear us to be at the bottom of the page any longer!
2013-07-09 6:41 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Originally posted by badgerintx

I wasn't going to race this weekend, but our Team Director called me and convinced me to throw my bike into the ring for State Criterium Championships.  I rode really strong and really smart and picked up some hardware.  2nd overall in the race and State Criterium Champion for my age group. (45+).   

Makes up a little bit for finishing off the podium last weekend.  Add another jersey for the wardrobe!  Nice to have 2 State Champs jerseys hanging in the basement in the same year!   

LIKE LIKE LIKE!!! YOU ARE AMAZING DINO, CONGRATULATIONS!!
2013-07-11 10:22 AM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Master

ARRGGGHHH.   I have to vent.  Many have you have heard part or all of this, so forgive me.

On June 16, my youngest (Zach, 17) raced an Oly (so did I, but he did it much faster!).  He won his age group, and this qualified him for AG Nationals.  THIS WAS HIS GOAL.  We talked to the RD that day, and he told us that there shouldn't be an issue, adn that Zach should plan on having a blast in WI!  Couple of days go by, and I look at the USAT site - Nats are filling up fast.  I call the RD, he tells me that they are allowed 30 days to make results final, and he'll do the best he can but it may be a while. WHAT?!?  This was a small (350+) race, with chips, and he KNOWS that there are people (not just Zach) waiting on this. 

So, I call USAT.  Friendly, and tell me it's 15 days - business days - and they can't do anything until then. They suggest that I push the RD (hard when he's not answering email or calls) and that I enter Zach into the Sprint (which doesn't require qualification).  So....here we go.  figuring it'll be any day now - the 5th was day 15 - we've got the airline tickets, the hotel room, the reservation for TriBikeTransport.....and still - no results.

Got another e-mail (Monday) from USAT, they will pursue fines, sanctions, and maybe not allow him to put on events.  They can't MAKE him hand over results, but they are working on it.

Today I talk to a diffferent person at USAT (I think they are all VERY youmg, BTW) She was super helpful, and really annoyed by the whole way this has been handled.  She's promised to personally follow up with the RD today.

This is SO annoying.  We paid the race fee - $80, for an OLY, followed all of the rules, the kid crushed the course......and the RD can't get his act together.  He's got another event on tonight.  Really?  Finish one, first.  I've been a RD for USA swimming (as a volunteer!) and my results were always in within days - and if I had kids waiting, I did them that night.

whew.  Rant over.  Zach is going to Milwaukee, it just may be for the sprint, which isn't his race.  Dang.

2013-07-11 1:09 PM

User image

New user
How frustrating, Linda. I'm so sorry that his race results are being handled that way. Stay persistant and I'll be crossing my fingers for you!!!

2013-07-11 3:27 PM

User image

Master

Big hugs, Linda!! I know your Mama Bear Claws are out and you are doing everything you can to get Zach into that Oly. (And I know you're doing it with a bit of classy aggressiveness and assertive politeness!) The RD sounds like a ..... I'll bite my tongue. This sucks. Hope it turns around and has a happy ending, including Zach crushing the OLY course in WI!!!

HUGS.

2013-07-12 12:34 AM
in reply to: kkcbelle

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Good luck getting that RD to do his job Linda.  I hope all works out for Zach.
2013-07-12 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
I've been traveling, and tried to post from my phone on Wednesday, but it did didn't work. So, here's the very late question of the week.Who's racing this weekend? Also, things are really heating up around the country. How do you handle the heat? Do you adjust your training, stay indoors, or just tough it out?
2013-07-12 8:28 AM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by jfought

I've been traveling, and tried to post from my phone on Wednesday, but it did didn't work. So, here's the very late question of the week.Who's racing this weekend? Also, things are really heating up around the country. How do you handle the heat? Do you adjust your training, stay indoors, or just tough it out?

Well I finally get a chance to say I am racing this weekend, or should I call it surviving. Somehow I got persuaded to do a 50k in Wisconsin Looking forwarded to a nice long run in the woods or where ever this takes me (physically, mentally, spiritually and emotionally). The nice part is I have a great running partner to hang with She may have to drag me along the course at some point or leave me behind. The goal is to finish, the strategy is one foot in front of the other and get enough nutrients in my body to keep me moving (hopefully forward).

As far as training in the heat, it has never been too much of an issue for me. Always try to stay hydrated of course and do a lot of trail running in the shade.

Congratulations Dino on the race.

Linda way to be persistent hope it all works out for your son.

Jayne wait for me at the finish line I will get there if you don't see me coming look down I may be crawling....but I will get there
2013-07-12 9:42 AM

User image

Master

Originally posted by jfought I've been traveling, and tried to post from my phone on Wednesday, but it did didn't work. So, here's the very late question of the week.Who's racing this weekend? Also, things are really heating up around the country. How do you handle the heat? Do you adjust your training, stay indoors, or just tough it out?

We've had a few days in the 80's... So yeah, we're trying to train in the cooler parts of the day, drinking lots of water and electrolytes, wearing arm-coolers, etc.

Ha ha. I joke. Not about the 80's -- we've seen that a few times. We are blessed to live in an incredible climate (if you groove on rain, which I do). Hang in there, hot peeps!!!

No racing. Just up and down the pool deck judging one of the last summer swim team meets of the season!!

2013-07-12 9:59 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by jfought I've been traveling, and tried to post from my phone on Wednesday, but it did didn't work. So, here's the very late question of the week.Who's racing this weekend? Also, things are really heating up around the country. How do you handle the heat? Do you adjust your training, stay indoors, or just tough it out?

Doing a sprint in a little town about an hour away from Minocqua.    Swimming in a river that is dark brown from the tannins, biking on a nice rolling course and then doing a cross country run that isn't always fun to navigate.  Goal is to have fun and nothing more.

I train through the heat, because that's what we race in.  More electrolytes and more H20 and run more by RPEis about all I do differently.

2013-07-12 1:37 PM

User image

New user
Good luck this weekend, Bruce and Suzy!

No racing for me, however, I am doing my first ever open water swim tonight. Any advice? Other than to keep the panic at a minimum?
2013-07-12 2:30 PM
in reply to: JillB

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Hey all, been MIA for awhile.

Between the flood of the century and now the Stampede. Saw a great outdoor concert the other day - Cheap Trick & Def Lepard.

I did do a HIM last weekend, Somehow survived it, with the very little training that I had done.

Lots of boozing this week, so ZERO training so far. May go for a ride tomorrow. Haven't really been motivated to be honest. It's nice to pull back the reins and just relax. I do have a strange distance race next week. .6 mile swim - 40 mile bike, 6 mile run. We'll see if I can ge ton my bike again before then!

2013-07-12 3:12 PM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Elite
san francisco
Congrats on surviving your HIM last weekend, Trevor!

Good luck to Suzy, Bruce and Jayne on your races this weekend!

I am finally able to say, yes, I am racing! Vineman 70.3 with Linda! We are hopeful to have similar weather to the past few years, with highs in the mid-80's, much better than the forecast a week ago for mid-90's!

Unfortunately, I am in the last starting wave and will not have the cool foggy morning for swimming the river. Oh, well! The first year I did this race, 2009, I had the late start but the temps went up to 100 that day, so NOT complaining!

I hope to finish with a smile and by then, Linda and her hubby should have eaten, cleaned up and be ready to carry me to the bus.

Heat? Easy. I try my best to avoid it, but it's good to get a few hot rides and runs in during training for practice. I usually drink lots more and temper my effort. But, then again, hot for me is 80's.

Happy weekend, everyone!
2013-07-12 4:15 PM
in reply to: kt65

User image

Master
Maryland
Trevor!! How did I miss you doing a HIM? CONGRATULATIONS, I like your trainining plan : )

Kim and Linda enjoy your race. So awesome that you will be together! Linda I hope USAT comes through for Zach. You girls will kick some tail!

Jayne and Bruce, enjoy your 50k, you will rock it!

Suzy, your race does sound fun, ending in a trail run too, enjoy!

Happy racing, judging, playing and training this weekend everyone!

2013-07-12 6:19 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Master

Yup, agreeing with Kim - Vineman's gonna be HOT.  Jeff really lucked out, he's going off at 7:06.  I'm at 7:48.  Problem is - the marine layer - it's gonna be flippin COLD (45?) at the bike start, and then warming up fast to make the run blazing (93?).

Ah, well.  I start 40ish minutes ahead of Kim.  My NEW goal is to not let her pass me!!!

I'll be waiting with hugs, Kim!!!  That, or you'll need to call the paramedics for me....... Cool

2013-07-12 6:33 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Well, lucky Jeff had the 8:30 start 2 years ago, so I think he deserves an early start, maybe he can put a bottle on ice for us!!!

I'm going with mid-50's for your swim start, and high 70's-low 80's when you finish your run...which I guarantee will be LONG before me!

So glad everything worked out for Zach. Persistence, perseverance and from the best Mom he could ever have had works in his favor! I hope you get a big hug from him!

2013-07-12 8:09 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by velcromom

Yup, agreeing with Kim - Vineman's gonna be HOT.  Jeff really lucked out, he's going off at 7:06.  I'm at 7:48.  Problem is - the marine layer - it's gonna be flippin COLD (45?) at the bike start, and then warming up fast to make the run blazing (93?).

Ah, well.  I start 40ish minutes ahead of Kim.  My NEW goal is to not let her pass me!!!

I'll be waiting with hugs, Kim!!!  That, or you'll need to call the paramedics for me....... Cool

Why is there such a difference in start times for you and Kim?  Same AG, no?

Good luck girls!!  You two are such ringers.   Not sure who is playing it best.

PS.  Good luck to Bruce and Jayne racing their hearts out in my home turf!

2013-07-12 10:08 PM

User image

Master

NO..........Kim is a Baby...!!!!

Even though I am NOT 50.....yet......I'll have that number on my calf, and race with the 50+ women.  Old Lady wave!  Kim goes off with the middle-age women 42 minutes later.  She won't be as cold to start the bike, but the run will be warmer.  she beat me by 10+minutes last time, I think......giving her more this year.  I need to put down my wine glass and pack my tri-bag.  Hopefully I will still be alive when she crosses, I'll need to give her a hug!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44