BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-03-09 9:38 PM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED
Originally posted by pnwdan

I have a good streak of consecutive days of SBR going. Today was day 19 :-) I still need to get on that bike and build some fitness. My SBR is more like SR, with only one B per month.

Triathlon season doesn't get going until June in the Pacific NW so I found some things to keep me busy. My current race schedule:

April 13 - Seahawks 12k run
May 31 - Flying Wheels Century 100mile ride
June 7 - Issaquah Sprint Triathlon
June 28 - Lake Padden Triathlon

I wish summer was here so I could start my open water swims.

You're planning on doing a century in May based on 1 bike a week? Oh man, your poor butt! lol you better get crack-a-lackin on that bike! ;-)

2014-03-09 9:42 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Originally posted by mtrunner6

Hey team!
I am in a recovery week and thankful for it! I can feel myself getting stronger but last week was mentally quite taxing so it's good on all fronts to have a bit of a respite. Also it always amazes how much "life stuff," both positive and negative, affects training. Any body else notice that? Have a great end of the week/weekend!

Helen

Life stuff can suck the life OUT of you if you're not careful. I've had a lot on my plate again recently, and I started to slide. However, I decided to make a conscious decision that if I can't control it, I can't worry about it. I then started putting my stuff (workouts and schooling etc.) first, and things are more manageable now, even if I am partially burying my head.

Hang in there, Helen!
2014-03-09 10:42 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Regular
I would like some feedback on the attached training plan. I am a little concerned about the run and bike build during heaviest training.

Attachments
----------------
General Training Plan 2014.xlsx (14KB - 11 downloads)
2014-03-09 11:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

Congrats on your first tri! You are now officially a triathlete.

Kathy, I'm a little jealous you're riding outside. I am still under snow and salt covered streets.

Tim - How are you feeling?

Kc - Same to you - How is the tooth?

Simone - I hope you're hanging in there.

Scott - you know how I feel, you're the freaking MAN.

Ok guys, so I may have a decision to make. My tri club is planning a destination race for '15. I was planning on doing LP, but I really like the idea of a destination race with up to 40+ tri club members. Urgh, decisions, decisions, decisions. I don't have to make my decision until nearer July, but I am already toying with not doing LP.

Because 2 IM's in the same year would be bonkers, right!

(right?)

If you spread them far enough apart, you can maintain the fitness through recovery from the first to the second. What the hell.

2014-03-09 11:07 PM
in reply to: IceManScott

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

OK, good news. I heard about Dr. Scholl's making shoes. My dress shoes for work do nothing for me. I have hip pain all day with them. I also have the habit of using one of my many pairs of worn-out running shoes to wear every day. So I went out and bought a dress pair of Dr. Scholls and also a casual pair. Started wearing them yesterday. Today I had no hip pain after a hard bike and swim. I do get a pain in my glute after sitting but it goes away when I walk around. So maybe I found something that will help ease the inflammation. Who knows? We will ponder.

I swam with my coach today. REALLY BIG PROGRESS over the past year and a half working with him. Really feeling great in the water. I cut 10 minutes off my last IM swim time in September. I think I will do even better this year at the half distance.

Bike seems like its going OK under the new coach - me. The run is going to improve.

Joined Myfitnesspal yesterday to log food. Going to drop 15 pounds by June 1. It's the left over weight from IM and Hawaii. I am in the same pants size but I feel it on the run and I know it would be easier on the hip and knee. Plus I want to be beautiful

Y'all have a great week.

2014-03-10 8:28 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Nate - I am jealous - nice work and way to hang with our mantra RFP

Originally posted by nrpoulin

First tri in the books. Feels good. Loner bike's seat dropped about two miles in. Speed to fix it but screw kept spinning. Had to ride at the bottom with the seat shifting from left to right. Bike to swim transition was tough. Ran slower then expected. Overall I had fun and feel good. Next one in 36 days

2014-03-10 8:30 AM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Dan. I wish summer was here as well - soon my friend, soon

I am with Deb - you better get that A$$ in the saddle

KC

Originally posted by pnwdan

I have a good streak of consecutive days of SBR going. Today was day 19 :-) I still need to get on that bike and build some fitness. My SBR is more like SR, with only one B per month.

Triathlon season doesn't get going until June in the Pacific NW so I found some things to keep me busy. My current race schedule:

April 13 - Seahawks 12k run
May 31 - Flying Wheels Century 100mile ride
June 7 - Issaquah Sprint Triathlon
June 28 - Lake Padden Triathlon

I wish summer was here so I could start my open water swims.
2014-03-10 8:32 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
NICE WORK NATE!

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Results came in last night and I completed my race report. Not sure how to share it. I ran 1:14:35. My time was really hurt by transition times, and the bike. At least 4 minutes could have been shaved if I didn't stop to attempt to fix the seat unsuccessfully. Happy with the swim. Had to ease up a bit. I passed one and was on the heals of the next who kept flip turning into me. Thought thenrun was slower than what it was. Overall backnof the middle for swim and run. Way backnof pack for transition and bike. I had a lot of fun. The course was laid out nicely for the family to watch and the kids seemed to enjoy it. The volunteers we great, and the athletes very friendly. Great experience overal.
2014-03-10 8:33 AM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Funny - that would be a nice addition to this site actually

LIKE BUTTON *

Originally posted by krazytallchick

You have no idea how many times I try to find the like button to people's post.

Uh, no. We have been tri deprived since Kathy finished IMAZ in Nov. we NEED DETAILS!!!

2014-03-10 8:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Cheeky Monkey (damn I love that name)

Tooth is better - one more trip to the dentist at the end of the week.

I love the idea of a destination race with the tri club and you could do 2 IM's for fun

KC

Kathy, I'm a little jealous you're riding outside. I am still under snow and salt covered streets.

Ok guys, so I may have a decision to make. My tri club is planning a destination race for '15. I was planning on doing LP, but I really like the idea of a destination race with up to 40+ tri club members. Urgh, decisions, decisions, decisions. I don't have to make my decision until nearer July, but I am already toying with not doing LP.

(right?)

Edited by kcgolf 2014-03-10 5:40 PM
2014-03-10 8:39 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Scott - the new shoes could be the ticket - great idea to try them out. Are you getting any chiropractic work done for the hip?

KC

Originally posted by IceManScott

OK, good news. I heard about Dr. Scholl's making shoes. My dress shoes for work do nothing for me. I have hip pain all day with them. I also have the habit of using one of my many pairs of worn-out running shoes to wear every day. So I went out and bought a dress pair of Dr. Scholls and also a casual pair. Started wearing them yesterday. Today I had no hip pain after a hard bike and swim. I do get a pain in my glute after sitting but it goes away when I walk around. So maybe I found something that will help ease the inflammation. Who knows? We will ponder.

I swam with my coach today. REALLY BIG PROGRESS over the past year and a half working with him. Really feeling great in the water. I cut 10 minutes off my last IM swim time in September. I think I will do even better this year at the half distance.

Bike seems like its going OK under the new coach - me. The run is going to improve.

Joined Myfitnesspal yesterday to log food. Going to drop 15 pounds by June 1. It's the left over weight from IM and Hawaii. I am in the same pants size but I feel it on the run and I know it would be easier on the hip and knee. Plus I want to be beautiful

Y'all have a great week.

2014-03-10 9:32 AM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Good Morning Team - 7 posts in a row - sorry lol.

OK - had a good weekend, training is going well I guess - last week was a recovery week and I missed a couple of swims but I am off to a good start this week with a nice 6:30 am visit to the pool for 2500 meters I have a run scheduled for later today with some weight training after that.

It was so nice here yesterday for a change I went out and did an extra run on my day off, just a nice slow 4.5 km but it was so nice to feel the sun on my face even if it was just 40 degrees - it felt like 70 lol.

I have a quesiton for everyone - I have the garmin vector pedals now and wow do you get some great feedback from these things (even though it is a bit depressing actually seeing how crappy you are lol). My question relates to my power output for each leg - my right leg is doing 55% of the work and my left leg 45% of the work - any suggestion from anyone on how I may want to attack getting them closer together in terms of power output?

Also, I feel like I am just not pushing myself during my workouts - anyone else feeling this at all? I need some advice on how to to push myself to improve - I am guessing it is because I do most of my training on my own and this winter has been crap.

OK - thats it from here - have a great week team.

KC
2014-03-10 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4961838

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
KC, do you do one leg pedal drills? I have to do them to try and even out my leg strength. I hate them with a passion, but I think they help.
2014-03-10 10:16 AM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am jealous that you figured out how to attach something to these posting as I have a dickens of a time.

Not real sure if I am reading your training plan correctly, so I will take a stab and you tell me.

* 8000 for total swim seems like a lot for a half.
* 28 mile ride in the middle of the week, wow! I was only doing an hour with lots of intervals. Are those intervals you doing in those 24, 32, 28 miles during the week?
* Your running miles look good to me.

Now I will say I am not a coach, just someone who has done 3 of these and I think your going to get burnt out with that much. Then again it is just me Krazy Tall Chick saying this.

Originally posted by ettringite23

I would like some feedback on the attached training plan. I am a little concerned about the run and bike build during heaviest training.
2014-03-10 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

KC, do you do one leg pedal drills? I have to do them to try and even out my leg strength. I hate them with a passion, but I think they help.

Agree with Cheekymonkey. Single Leg pedal drills. Hate them but they do work.
2014-03-10 10:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Originally posted by kcgolf

OK - had a good weekend, training is going well I guess - last week was a recovery week and I missed a couple of swims but I am off to a good start this week with a nice 6:30 am visit to the pool for 2500 meters I have a run scheduled for later today with some weight training after that.

It was so nice here yesterday for a change I went out and did an extra run on my day off, just a nice slow 4.5 km but it was so nice to feel the sun on my face even if it was just 40 degrees - it felt like 70 lol.

I have a quesiton for everyone - I have the garmin vector pedals now and wow do you get some great feedback from these things (even though it is a bit depressing actually seeing how crappy you are lol). My question relates to my power output for each leg - my right leg is doing 55% of the work and my left leg 45% of the work - any suggestion from anyone on how I may want to attack getting them closer together in terms of power output?

Also, I feel like I am just not pushing myself during my workouts - anyone else feeling this at all? I need some advice on how to to push myself to improve - I am guessing it is because I do most of my training on my own and this winter has been crap.

KC

That isn't terrible. Single pedal drills yes. Also just be mindful to let yourself switch focus from one leg to the other. Think about that weaker leg doing more work. It actually feels like you will be giving the other leg a rest. Also, keep the heels down and think about smooth pedal strokes all the way through. Should feel like you are wiping something off the bottom of your shoes.

As for feeling like you are dogging it, follow your training plans. That's why we have them. Feelings get in the way. We ALWAYS think we aren't doing enough. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it's just a desire to do more driven by anxiety. Trust in your plans, people.

Edited by IceManScott 2014-03-10 10:33 AM

2014-03-10 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

That is a strong plan. I don't know anything about you or your goals so commenting too much would be wrong. What do you mean you are concerned about the build? You think it's too much?

I don't know how anyone can survive 8000 yards in a pool/week. I've been doing 6,000 and that is quite enough, thank you.

The long bike is 60 miles? I plan to work up to 75 and will likely do a century before my half this year. But I have the base for it.

You are running very long for a half IM. That's great if your body handles it OK.

2014-03-10 12:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

(right?)

If you spread them far enough apart, you can maintain the fitness through recovery from the first to the second. What the hell.

So you think 7 weeks might be pushing it?
2014-03-10 12:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

(right?)

Are you looking at Wisconsin?
2014-03-10 12:47 PM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

(right?)

Hats off, Kathy! Someone knows their IM dates ;-)

Yes, that is the one the club is looking at doing.
2014-03-10 5:37 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Thanks Scott.

KC

Originally posted by kcgolf

KC

That isn't terrible. Single pedal drills yes. Also just be mindful to let yourself switch focus from one leg to the other. Think about that weaker leg doing more work. It actually feels like you will be giving the other leg a rest. Also, keep the heels down and think about smooth pedal strokes all the way through. Should feel like you are wiping something off the bottom of your shoes.

As for feeling like you are dogging it, follow your training plans. That's why we have them. Feelings get in the way. We ALWAYS think we aren't doing enough. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it's just a desire to do more driven by anxiety. Trust in your plans, people.

2014-03-10 5:42 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
7 weeks is doable but I would not be looking for any PB's at the 2nd one. It can and has been done

KC

(right?)

Hats off, Kathy! Someone knows their IM dates ;-)

Yes, that is the one the club is looking at doing.
2014-03-10 5:51 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Todd - here are my thoughts on your plan, but first, where did you get it? Who made it for you?

You are doing Racine on July 20th - so I think you should be giving yourself a bit more of break during the taper week. Anyone else agree with this? Also, I think Scott is right - that is a lot of swimming.

KC

2014-03-10 8:12 PM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Expert
Hello Team RFP - Just wanted to give everyone an update... I had my surgery on Wednesday. Everything went good and I am really glad that I got it done. The surgeon came in after surgery and told Josi that although I had no pain my stomach lining was coming through the tear so I was bound for issues. This thing has been weighing on me more than I thought and was like a big negative weight over my head sucking my motivation haha. Surgery went well and I am on my way to recovery. Went into work for a couple of hours today and was wiped out so just taking it day by day. Hopefully gonna try and do a light spin on the trainer by end of week.

While I was laid up in bed I put together my training plan for my June 22 HIM. I figure I will have about 10 weeks which not sure how well that will go. The goal is to just have fun with it this year.

I apologize for not being around lately but it looks like everyone is doing great.
2014-03-10 8:35 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Tim!!!!!

Good to see you. Glad you are up and about. Only you, (well and probably Scott) could have surgery and be planning your next HIM before the stitches are out ;-)

Heal fast.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED POSTS

Team Trisuppo - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34

Started by trisuppo
Views: 30514 Posts: 838

2014-05-16 3:19 PM jackiep
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.