BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-01-17 11:47 AM
in reply to: #1161307

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS

amy mutz - 2008-01-17 4:56 AM Well Eric we got some of that white stuff too... But being we are used to it they had been putting beat juice down on the roads for two days, that keeps it from sticking to bad... Our kids just get a two hour delay and then they are off to school. Have a great day everyone!!!!!! I would glitter you, but don't know how, that's Dee's department. Amy IN

I can teach you if you would like...Dee would probably love the help in spreading the love!!! let me know if you want to know how...

thanks for all the inspires girl! hope you realize that you are the one that inspires me to inspire others! you just never quit....kinda like the eveready bunny keeps inspiring and inspiring, and inspiring...........thanks Amy! you deserve a cheerleading award from our mentor group...cuz you are awesome! THANK YOU!

2008-01-17 1:02 PM
in reply to: #1088860

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wow Julie - I respectfully thank you for your kind words, it makes me feel good inside... But remember this - IT TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE.

Everybody exercise-up... yeeehawww

I love being in this great group.

Amy in Indiana

Julie - I will let you teach me next week when you get back. We be missin you when your gone.
2008-01-17 1:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it"--William Durant, Founder of General Motors
2008-01-17 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well it all comes down to running in the wind and sleet or driving to the Y 25 miles to run inside which drives me up a wall... Don't know why just does.

Just shut up and quit cry babying...what am I complaining about? Ok I'm over it...we all feel sorry for ourselves sometimes... I guess the picture says it louder than any words.

Edited by amy mutz 2008-01-17 1:57 PM

(aimee_mullins,0.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
aimee_mullins,0.jpg (16KB - 30 downloads)
2008-01-17 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

Well--somehow we survived the dreaded Winter Storm 08....with a grand total of 2 inches!  I really thought we were going to starve to death for a while but the last minute trip to the store for bread, milk, and beer sustained us thru the tough times.

Back to the workout grind tomorrow....I'm 2 swims behind for Team Wet N Wild so I've got some serious makeup to do.  I was supposed to have masters today but actually just forgot about it.  I finally remembered about 10 till noon but wouldn't have gotten there in time. I was semi-considering a trainer ride tonight but I've been domestic and putting up laundry and giving the bay a bath and playing enforcer with teh older kids.  Looking forward to some workout time tomorrow.  I hope everyone has a great Friday and gets to workout!  We've all had a long week and some stress relief is in order. 

2008-01-17 7:32 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

And a bonus post from me.....time to get motivated to hit the pool.....If the times are too fast (they are for me anyway), then just adjust the times accordingly.

Swim Sets to Jump-start Your Season

Even top swimmers can benefit from technique work, so working out stroke inefficiencies is time well spent.

It's mid-winter. You've taken some time off after the end of the season and you're feeling rested, refreshed and ready to get in the water again.

The only problem is you feel slow and sloppy and far from having the smooth speed you had back in August. Here are several workouts to jump-start you toward those blazing swim splits.

Technique Primer

First to go after taking time away from the pool is your feel--your ability to be efficient and grab the water. Your efficiency goes down, your stroke count goes up, and suddenly it seems very difficult to hold a pace anywhere near what felt easy only a few weeks earlier. Now is the time to implement stroke drills to remind yourself what you need to focus on.

Warmup: 400 easy followed by a set of 4 x 50 on 10 seconds rest
Main set: Your main set will consist of two sets of 10 x 50 drills. Your drills will be a progression from single-arm free to catch-up as follows:
  • 2 x 50 single-arm free. Right arm down, left arm back. Keep your non-pulling arm in front of you in a streamline position, and breathe toward the pulling arm.
  • 2 x 50 single-arm free. As above, but this time, keep your non-pulling arm at your side.
  • 2 x 50 single-arm free. Keep your non-pulling arm at your side and breathe to the non-pulling side.
  • 2 x 50 catch-up drill. Your right hand does not pull until your left hand hits the water and vice versa.
  • 2 x 50 catch-up drill. Breathe to both sides.
Notes: Repeat this set once, and focus throughout on keeping your elbow high during the pull while using your hip rotation to help snap your arm through the pull phase. On the catch-up drill, focus on hip and shoulder rotation, with close to 180 degrees of rotation, from side to side, throughout each stroke cycle.

This isn't a difficult workout, and speed isn't a major concern. Rather, focus on perfect form and on trying to limit your stroke count.

Confidence Booster

A big part of swimming well is confidence. To many people, 1,500 meters is a long way to swim--and longer distances can seem impossible. A good early-season workout is to simply get used to swimming continuously for 30 or more minutes.

Begin with a brief warmup of 200 to 400 meters followed by light stretching. Then, swim easy for 30 minutes. In the beginning, take it very easy, and try to relax and swim comfortably while focusing on maintaining a good stroke. Don't worry too much about pacing or volume.

As you develop more endurance, you can add time to this swim, but I wouldn't suggest going more than 45 to 60 minutes at any one time. However, as your fitness develops you can introduce a T-30 into your main sets on a monthly or bi-monthly basis. This is a timed 30-minute swim for distance. You'll simply swim as far as you can in 30 minutes. This is a good fitness marker year-to-year or even throughout the season.

Endurance Builder

How many times have you been in a race where people take off at the beginning of the swim only to fade rapidly? In such instances, endurance is often lacking. To remedy this, you can include longer intervals in your training, or you can include the following two sets, which build endurance through shorter repeats.

Endurance set No. 1: Broken 1500

Warmup: 200 to 400 followed by 4 x 50 build on 10 seconds rest
Main set: 60 x 25 at race pace plus 10 seconds. For example, a 20-minute 1500 is 1:20 per 100, which equals 20 seconds per 25. So, do your 25s on 30 seconds. This will seem easy in the early stages but will catch up with you. To increase the challenge, perform the first 30 x 25 at race pace plus five seconds and the second 30 x 25 at race pace plus 10 seconds.

Endurance set No. 2: Descend 50s

Warmup: 200 to 400 followed by 4 x 50 build on 10 seconds rest
Main set:

• 2 x 50 on 1:30
  • 2 x 50 on 1:25
  • 2 x 50 on 1:20
  • 2 x 50 on 1:15 ...

Continue to descend every two 50s by five seconds until you can no longer make the pace time. This is a great benchmark workout as you should be able to get deeper into it as your fitness improves. But it's also excellent for developing endurance. If 1:30 is too fast, you can begin wherever is comfortable. The first two to three sets should be very easy, and you should be able to get through six to eight sets of two, regardless of your starting point. Keep in mind that the last two to three 50s will be very hard and should offer little to no rest.

By incorporating the above sessions into your training schedule, you should be able to jump-start your swim training and set yourself up for a successful season.

• Jimmy Archer is a pro triathlete, coach, and freelance writer. He has been a pro triathlete for eight years and a triathlete coach for Trismarter.com for three years. During his career Jimmy has raced at all distances and formats of triathlon, competing for the U.S.A. on four national teams and finishing top 10 at five XTERRA world championships. He can be reached at jimmy

Edited by medic0020 2008-01-17 7:33 PM

2008-01-17 8:51 PM
    in reply to: #1161256

User image

Master
    Mishicot, Wisconsin
    Two inches of snow...hmmm?  We just got between 4 to 8 depending on where you are today...I think we have about 6 or so out there....so much for doing anything outside today   We have had over 30 inches this winter so far and it doesn't look like it is stopping anymore.  Now we are going to get hit with arctic air...burrr!!!
    2008-01-17 9:21 PM
    in reply to: #1162996

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tucson, AZ

The day was a total melt down.  On the phone all day.  Market down 300+, lots of calls and repositioning!  Finished just in time to run to a meeting in my community and then folks over for dinner.  I capitulated and enjoyed 1/2 a bottle of Gigondas with dinner.  No late night run tonight, I vented a bit to our dinner guests - oops.  But managed to reign it in before it got stupid.  I will get to my cruise intervals tomorrow AM early, then work, then facilitating a stroke support group caregivers lunch then I am off the clock!  I need a good weekend!  Anyone got a spare one they can lend me?

Amy, thanks for sharing that photo.  It sure makes my griping look pretty weak.  It is a good reminder.

Eric, thanks for the swimming tips.  I need them BADLY!  You are a big help.

Pam, I hope your foot gets better.  If you want to keep some running style endurance up, try an elliptical.  It is boring but it will keep you in shape while your foot gets better.

Dee, thanks for the sparkle, it makes my day. And, I hope your work gives you a break.  And, the Itzak Perlman concert was fantastic.  No chance of falling asleep.  We put a group together and met in the private dining room of a local restaurant, had a great dinner and some tasty Bordeaux.  Then drove down to the University of Arizona where the concert was.  It was electrifying!!!  The energy was fantastic.  The music was amazing.  I had no idea he was disabled.  The only hard part with the 26 miles drive home after 11:00 PM when I normally am in bed by 10:00.   I hope your days are getting better.

Amy, stay strong on the running.  You are about to break out.

2008-01-18 1:44 AM
    in reply to: #1163062

User image

Veteran
    Auburn, Wa
    Happy Friday ALL, Seems I'm the last to chime in for Thursday or first for Friday depending on what time zone you're in. I hope everyone gets in their workout of choice today, especially Emerson!! I just wanted to say a big "Thank You" again to everyone for the daily inspire me's. I know I've been slacking as of late but I want you all to know that I appreciate all of them in my logs!! It makes getting out their easier and adds some motivation for me!! I'm very glad I joined this group. Have a great Friday!! Chris
    2008-01-18 7:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    It is a happy Friday... I have an easy day at work today, and then my son has a school dance tonight that is a formal affair, he put his clothes on last night and looked so handsome. I will take pictures tonight to show off to everyone. I will have to go pick him up at 1:00am so I will have to set my alarm because that is way past my bedtime.

Emerson - I have express mailed you a special weekend package of R&R Thanks for you encouraging comments on my running! I so can't wait for a breakthrough...

Chris - hang in there and try to get a workout in this weekend.

Pam - I will be checking out the Trek bikes and will try to find a good bike shop.

Eric - I liked the swim plan you put up for us, I will give it a try.

I will check in later with everyone to see how their workouts went today!

Amy IN
    2008-01-18 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Do you ever feel that there are sharks all around you?!?!

(shark.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    shark.jpg (13KB - 31 downloads)

2008-01-18 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    NO GUTS - NO GLORY!

(mouse.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    mouse.jpg (4KB - 20 downloads)
    2008-01-18 9:27 AM

Extreme Veteran
    El Cajon, Ca
    Good morning all. I hope you have a great Friday. I was going to do a naptime tread mill run today, but I think it will just be a nap. My DH is out of town for work and had some crazy dream. He called me at midnight to make sure we were ok. We were, of course, fine, but I was up until after 2am. It is bad when I wake up at 6:40 and I cannot wait until the kids nap so I can too.

2008-01-18 11:55 AM

User image

Expert
    Charlotte, NC

got in an hr swim to make up for missing one of my masters classes this week. Hope to make up the other on Sunday.  My unpaid job as tri club president is getting on my nerves today. I'm having to run around and deliver tickets to a hockey game plus our club tshirts came in.  Plus some other nonsense that's not even worth *#*#*'ing about.

Anyway, Happy Friday!  Another blizzard on the way to NC, possibly 2 inches again tomorrow!

2008-01-18 4:16 PM

Desmoines Iowa
    Hi: All

Been off line for a few days, but have been getting trng in. I see everyone is still plugging along that is encouragng to me. Really getting cold here this wknd, be thankful all of you who reside in paradise. This has been a really difficult winter so far. Well at least the sun was out nice and bright today. Mike

Emerson, I think I figured out what is causing my hamstring troubles, I'm pretty sure it is from doing dead lifts. While I was doing them today my hams got really tight an began to spasm slightly. Really like doing the lift will have to figure out if I'm executing them improperly.

Edited by stilltri-ing 2008-01-18 4:18 PM
    2008-01-18 7:40 PM
    in reply to: #1164770

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    Hi Guys. Yet another long day at work. I just got home a little while ago. As a result, I also did not get a swim in - again.... It was a constant "crisis" at work today. Again.

Unfortunately, I'm slightly behind where I'd hoped to be with my swim goal for the Jan Challenge. However, if it isn't snowing tomorrow morning, I'll hit the pool, and should be able to catch up again. (We're currently under some kind of winter warning. But hopefully, the weather will be more cooperative than my job has been.)

This month is going to be a constant battle between work, and trying to do ANYTHING else. (Yes, that includes eating, sleeping and working out.)

And yes, I've brought home a pile of work to do this weekend.... I'm exhausted. (I'm sure you can tell! I haven't posted any glitter!)

I can't even see straight. (But I needed a BT break.)

Bleh. Work. Bleh, bleh, bleh!

I'll find a way to glitter you all tomorrow. ('Cause I know you all miss your glitter. Especially Eric. LOL)

Dee

2008-01-18 7:54 PM
    in reply to: #1164960

User image

Champion
    Taser-World

Eh, I needed glitter. I figured I'd share it with you:

2008-01-19 12:07 AM
    in reply to: #1164977

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for the glitter Dee... what a great way to end a long day.  Up at 5:30 today and will be up at 5:30 again tomorrow for a 9 miles trail run.  I am heading straight for bed.  I will blog around tomorrow... The markets are not open on Monday because of the holiday, I look forward to three days away from this.  Good Night my friends!
    2008-01-19 3:16 AM

User image

Expert
    Charlotte, NC

Had a near break thru swim yesterday. I swam competitively in high school, but I primarily swam 50free, 100 back. I never did enough distance to really need bilateral breathing.  In the midst of 6 sets of 150 pulls, I started finally getting the hang of the bilateral breathing.  It's not set into my muscle memory yet, but it was a great start. The best I've ever felt doing that.  Very happy about that.  Pushed myself by doing sets with breathing every 3, then every 5, then every 7 strokes to stretch my lung capacity.  That will get your HR up quick.

Looking forward to a couple hrs of sleep, then spin class and maybe a trainer ride later today. Would love to get in 2 hrs on the bike and maybe a run at the gym.

Happy training today!

2008-01-19 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Well we survived the first dance, it is hard seeing my baby act and look so much like a man, but that is the goal of a parent, love - teach - let go a little at a time so they can become adults of character.

This is Lee, he is 15.

(IMG_0021_edited.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    IMG_0021_edited.jpg (91KB - 18 downloads)
    2008-01-19 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
    Charlotte, NC

Handsome devil with a beautiful girl on his arm.....looks like trouble for mom

Got in a nice brick this am--70 min on spin plus an almost 30 min run...not too bad for a Saturday morning.

2008-01-19 4:00 PM
    in reply to: #1165297

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    amy mutz - 2008-01-19 8:58 AM

Well we survived the first dance, it is hard seeing my baby act and look so much like a man, but that is the goal of a parent, love - teach - let go a little at a time so they can become adults of character.

This is Lee, he is 15.

Great pic! Definitely needs to be framed and displayed!

2008-01-19 5:35 PM
    in reply to: #1165658

Desmoines Iowa
    Have to agree with Eric they makea handsome couple. Great job Eric on the swim and on the brick. Mike
    2008-01-19 6:53 PM
    in reply to: #1165297

User image

Master
    Mishicot, Wisconsin

Amy, he is very cute   You should be really proud and very protective

I'm back in frozen MN...it is quite miserable

Take care and have a great rest of your weekend everyone!

Looks like I am back in the pool tomorrow!!! 

2008-01-19 7:58 PM
    in reply to: #1165860

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    crea0029 - 2008-01-19 7:53 PM

I'm back in frozen MN...it is quite miserable

You could always make one of these:

Edited by D001 2008-01-19 8:05 PM

(snowglobe_ani.gif)

Attachments
    ----------------
    snowglobe_ani.gif (12KB - 31 downloads)
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  

of 73