BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-01-22 3:42 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed

I am working on getting the results from last week tallied... there are LOTS of peeps in this challenge so its taking a lot more time than I thought it would.  I am working to get it complete soon...

How is everyone doing with their goals this week?

2008-01-22 3:46 PM
in reply to: #1170297

User image

Extreme Veteran
Robyn,

Thanks for all that you do. Is there anything that all of us challengers can do to help you out? Like posting/PMing you our results? So all you need to do is tally the totals. We will do anything you need.

Oh, and I will wave when I'm in Ypsilanti tomorrow.

Once again thanks, Oh, I am right on schedule for this week, even with the 10% increase. However the next two days will be challenging.

Curt
triOK - 2008-01-22 4:42 PM

I am working on getting the results from last week tallied... there are LOTS of peeps in this challenge so its taking a lot more time than I thought it would.  I am working to get it complete soon...

How is everyone doing with their goals this week?

2008-01-22 5:53 PM
in reply to: #1170223

User image

Eastern PA
Aviator1596 - 2008-01-22 4:16 PM

teash - 2008-01-22 11:15 AM I was going to check out the local school district's evening adult lap swim tonight, but I am feeling under the weather. Very scratchy throat and overall yucky feeling. Should I go anyway? What do you guys normally do when you're not feeling well? I had wanted to teach myself the flip turn (after watching the great BT video), but thinking I should postpone. Teash

If you are feeling sick, I say skip it Get lots of rest and water, and get in your workouts tomorrow or the next day when you are feeling better.  I went through a cold a few weeks ago, and tried to come back too early, and paid for it by taking an extra few days off.  Don't kick yourself over it, just get better, and then get out there again.  YMMV.

Thanks so much for your reply! I guess its obvious I should rest, but I still wanted to go for the swim. Stayed home with a shot of Tequila instead. I don't think it cured anything, but I feel better!
2008-01-22 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

I would love to hear your all's opinions on a technical question regarding our Training Log.

My first tri isn't until the end of June, so now I'm mostly working on building up to help my knees.  I do walk my dogs almost every day (weather permitting) and am using walking as one of my goals.  I do intermittently mildly jog some of it.

With this in mind, should I continue to log this event under "Sports - Walking" as I have been doing, or should I log it under "Running" and make a notation that it was 90% a walk?

Thanks, guys!

Obsessively compulsively yours,

Lora

2008-01-22 5:57 PM
in reply to: #1170604

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
lkagop - 2008-01-22 3:54 PM

I would love to hear your all's opinions on a technical question regarding our Training Log.

My first tri isn't until the end of June, so now I'm mostly working on building up to help my knees.  I do walk my dogs almost every day (weather permitting) and am using walking as one of my goals.  I do intermittently mildly jog some of it.

With this in mind, should I continue to log this event under "Sports - Walking" as I have been doing, or should I log it under "Running" and make a notation that it was 90% a walk?

Thanks, guys!

Lora

Since I can't run fulltime yet, what I tend to do is log the whole session under run, but then in my comments, I list how many minutes I did of walking vs. running.  That way, I can see how my numbers are improving over time.

But the logging is for *your* benefit, so use it how you see fit!  No one is going to question what you do!

2008-01-22 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1170614

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Thanks for the feedback, Keith.  I think I'll do what you do and just make notations under "Run."

Lora

2008-01-22 9:55 PM
in reply to: #1170604

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
lkagop - 2008-01-22 6:54 PM

Thanks, guys!

Lora

Lora,
I would do it as a run, that way you can see how your pace improves and your walk/run ratio becomes more of a run/walk. What type of dogs do you have, I need to get one (have 2 little ones) to run with. Need to find the perfect dog that is very active yet will listen when needed.

David
2008-01-23 6:38 AM
in reply to: #1171010

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

razorxp - 2008-01-22 10:55 PM
Lora, I would do it as a run, that way you can see how your pace improves and your walk/run ratio becomes more of a run/walk. What type of dogs do you have, I need to get one (have 2 little ones) to run with. Need to find the perfect dog that is very active yet will listen when needed. David

Thanks, David.  I think that's what I'll do.  That's good advice regarding pace and ratio.

I have a black Great Dane (110 lbs.) and a yellow lab mix (65 lbs.)  I actually walk them using Gentle Leaders which is THE best tinvention in the canine world.  The only problem with walking and running with my Dane is that this breed is typically done after 30 minutes.  They are the biggest couch potatoes!

So, based on my experience, I would recommend the lab, especially since you're going longer distances.  Plus, they're very obedient.  Check out the shelter or a local lab rescue group.  I hope that helps...

2008-01-23 10:08 AM
in reply to: #1171215

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Lora,

I agree 100% on the Lab. we found ours as a puppy running the streets. The vet said 24 more hours she would have died. She is now one of the most faithful and protective animals I have ever seen. She is super sweet, unless you are a strange male, and come near my wife. I swear I havenever seen a ROT or Shephard react so violently.

In a bout 30 minutes I will be leaving the house to do my first brick. I am really nervous about this but I will let you know how it goes. 20 minute swim , 30 minute ride. Zoinks and Jinkies.  

2008-01-23 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Lora,
I love danes! I had a little puppy (120 lbs) :-) and he was wonderful. Terrbile to run with though. Sadly he passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack one day. He was only a little over a year old. I want to get another so much but my husband is scared he will have heart problems as well and can't stand to loose another one. We got a black newfoundland/lab mix instead. He's a big guy, but nothing compares to our dane, Jack.
2008-01-23 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran

Any of you Zoomer fans...I have used them the last 2 swims and of course feel like a studfish while I have them on. Today I did the last 100 of underswitch without them and could barely complete it. Just seemed like i wasn't going anywhere. I'm not sure if this is just a relative thing or what but it concerns me to keep using them and almost dependent on them. Any suggestions or comments?

2008-01-23 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1171751

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Alan, That's the reason I don't use zoomers. I'm afraid I'll become dependent on them. I know what you mean about barely being able to complete the underswitch. It's hard not to use the effort to get across the pool and just "glide" as they say. But I'm getting there. I think it's better not using them, just my opinion. Not that I've ever used zoomers, but I dive and snorkel with fins and I know you don't have to swim nearly as hard.
2008-01-23 12:13 PM

User image

Indianapolis, Indiana
My favorite topic .... running with the dogs.

I recommend dalamatians. They were bred for running with the horse drawn fire engines.

I had three that ran with me (all at once) during training for various marathons, running races, etc. One even ran a 12 mile run, then still had the energy to come home and pest the other two.

One problem, if you don't run them, they will begin to bounce off the walls.

Now i have two strays, a Lab and a lab/ chow mix. Because I did not have them when they were puppies, running is extremely hard with them as they tend to cross in front of my stride and stop without warning.

On a different note , training is going well except for swimming. Ahead this week on my running mileage and biking. Need to find time for swimming. Just been to wiped out after work to make it back to the Y

Everyone keep up the good work and avoid that sophmore jinx
2008-01-23 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1171961

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

"studfish" LMAO! I love it!!!

Well my first brick is complete!!!! Yahooo!!!!!!

2008-01-23 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1171751

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
aber4 - 2008-01-23 11:45 AM

Any of you Zoomer fans...I have used them the last 2 swims and of course feel like a studfish while I have them on. Today I did the last 100 of underswitch without them and could barely complete it. Just seemed like i wasn't going anywhere. I'm not sure if this is just a relative thing or what but it concerns me to keep using them and almost dependent on them. Any suggestions or comments?

Alan,

I use them for all my drill work (fingertip drag, catch-up) and then after my swim i will use them with a kick board. I don't care about the speed, for me I need to improve my ankle flexibility. The other advantage (so im told) is that you learn to kick properly. This is just my $.02 since I am probably the worst swimmer on this forum.

David
2008-01-23 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1172031

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT

Yo group, how goes it?  Been following a long and here's my worthless two cents....

Zoomers - many love them, I opt not to use them, for the reason just mentioned: once you get use to them and then swim without them, I felt like a beached whale, went nowhere.  So even though they are great for drills, I decided never to use what I can't use in a race.  I use the same philosophy with wetsuits, never use in training, just in a race.  The big plus here is that come race day, you aren't wishing you had something you've becoming used to using.  The only thing you ARE swimming with is a wetsuit (if cold enough) which makes you feel like you're absolutely flying in the water! 

For those nasty winter colds and wondering whether it's worth exercising or not, here's my rule of thumb:  if the cold is neck or above, good to go.... neck or below, stay below! 

2008-01-23 2:12 PM
in reply to: #1172072

User image

Eastern PA
stayfocused - 2008-01-23 1:58 PM

For those nasty winter colds and wondering whether it's worth exercising or not, here's my rule of thumb:  if the cold is neck or above, good to go.... neck or below, stay below! 

I have been feeling so much better. I tried the ZICAM cold remedy nasal swabs and I think they actually do work! I eeked out a little stairmaster today and plan to swim tomorrow. Thanks everyone!
2008-01-23 4:09 PM
in reply to: #1172249

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Since Our Mentor Loves the Ketty Kat pixstures...And I love the Cap'n

Since Robyn Likes the kettykat pixstures, and I likes the Cap'n, I thought this would be fun to post. Laughing

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-01-23 4:11 PM
2008-01-23 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran

I know there are some yoga gurus in this group. If Elizabeth wasn't so d@mn generous I'd have an excuse not to do it, BUT I better get started. Do you try to do your yoga far from other types of workouts or is there certain things it can be closer to (run, bike, swim.) I don't know... I just sat and watched it today...and I think I sweat off a couple pounds...might have to log it!

I'll have it done in the next 24 hours....hold me to it!!!
2008-01-23 7:10 PM
in reply to: #1171661

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
ditchdoc - 2008-01-23 11:08 AM

Lora,

I agree 100% on the Lab. we found ours as a puppy running the streets. The vet said 24 more hours she would have died. She is now one of the most faithful and protective animals I have ever seen. She is super sweet, unless you are a strange male, and come near my wife. I swear I havenever seen a ROT or Shephard react so violently.

That is the saddest story about your dog, Rueben.  Bless you for taking her in.  I think the dogs that come the closest to death turn out to be the best dogs.  They're so grateful for every day.

Lora

2008-01-23 7:17 PM
in reply to: #1171661

User image

Master
Vista, CA
ditchdoc - 2008-01-23 8:08 AM

Lora,

In a bout 30 minutes I will be leaving the house to do my first brick. I am really nervous about this but I will let you know how it goes. 20 minute swim , 30 minute ride. Zoinks and Jinkies.

Okay, How did it go??? I've not tried a back to back brick yet.

2008-01-23 7:21 PM
in reply to: #1171716

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

"gator416 - 2008-01-23 11:29 AM Lora, I love danes! I had a little puppy (120 lbs) :-) and he was wonderful. Terrbile to run with though. Sadly he passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack one day. He was only a little over a year old. I want to get another so much but my husband is scared he will have heart problems as well and can't stand to loose another one. We got a black newfoundland/lab mix instead. He's a big guy, but nothing compares to our dane, Jack."

Heather, I'm so sorry about you losing your Dane, Jack, so soon.  How heart-wrenching.  Newfoundlands are beautiful dogs, too.  Oh, heck - I just love big dogs!

Lora

2008-01-23 7:28 PM
in reply to: #1172663

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Re: Zoomers -- When I first started thinking about swimming, people (tri athletes) kept telling me about zoomers. So I got some and they have helped with my leg strength and endurance. At first I could only swim 20 minutes and went very slow. Now I can swim for over an hour and my speed has increased. I use the zoomers for laddar workouts -- doing 5 laps, 4 laps, 3 laps, etc. with :30 rest and it's helped my speed. They help you "plane" higher in the water. I also swim without them and I am stronger because of them. I will probably not swim with them the closer I get to my first tri, though.

Also-- Yoga -- I was heavy into yoga for a while -- studio yoga, not gym yoga. (There's a big difference, at least here in CA). I still do yoga for mind, body and that great stretching and flexibility and it really develops core strength as well. If you get Lifetime TV, check out the program Inhale with Steve Ross. It's on at 6 a.m. here (I use the DVR to record). He's light and instructional and I love the upbeat music.

If you try the yoga let me know what you all think. Plus, I'll offer whoever wants it, a yoga video I don't use anymore -- any takers -- I have some from Rodney Yee that are pretty good. First to claim gets it. Got that idea from Aviator --

~~Lynn
2008-01-23 7:48 PM
in reply to: #1172663

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

aber4 - 2008-01-23 6:02 PM I know there are some yoga gurus in this group. If Elizabeth wasn't so d@mn generous I'd have an excuse not to do it, BUT I better get started. Do you try to do your yoga far from other types of workouts or is there certain things it can be closer to (run, bike, swim.) I don't know... I just sat and watched it today...and I think I sweat off a couple pounds...might have to log it! I'll have it done in the next 24 hours....hold me to it!!!

Alan, since I've only been doing yoga a couple weeks, I can't attest to where it's most appropriately squeezed in in relation to other workouts.  What I can tell you is that I have loved doing it at the end of my walk and/or strength training.  I don't use it in lieu of an appropriate cool down period, but it does help me relax tremendously before I head back to the real world.

Lora

2008-01-23 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Lynn, I just fell in love with yoga this week. I would love a video to try at home if you don't use it. I find it really strengthens muscles I never knew I had. I especially love how strong my abs feel the next day. Going again tomorrow night!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52