BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2011 Part 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 237

2011-12-13 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3936206

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2011 Part 2 - CLOSED
I also use a recovery fuel after harder workouts.  I use hammer recoverite, but there are several out there that help reduce muscle fatigue.  Stretching and rolling might help as well, good nights rest, etc.

2011-12-13 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3936151

User image

New Haven, CT
uhcoog - 2011-12-13 8:35 AM

carrie639 - 2011-12-13 7:25 AM I still don't get how people feel energized when they workout in the morning ... not me it drains me til late morning every time!

I'm energized until I get to work and then I'm like "Damn I'm back here again."  Saps all my energy.  LOL.

ive never felt energized from a work out, never felt a runners high and never had fun SBR'ing.  I hate it all.  I like eating crap, watching sports and looking at boobs... everything else is meh.  

BUT, i also need to stay alive for my family and dont want to weigh 400 pounds. Thus, here i am.

2011-12-13 10:01 AM

User image

New Haven, CT
jarvy01 - 2011-12-13 9:09 AM

Quick question.....my legs are really fatigued and sore from all the high intensity cycling, running, and lifting.  I almost don't feel like I'm recovering adequately.  I'm getting plenty of sleep and I eat a high quality diet.  Is this a matter of fueling pre- and post- workout?  Or do I need to take a day off or something? 

Thanks!

When you say "alot" of HIIT, what do you mean?  you should not be doing HIIT every day.  Speed work on the run should be 1x week bike maybe 2x at most.  The point is go heard and let your body recover.  You improve during rest.  Hence, why you taper.  If you look at Kelly's workouts, she builds for 3-5 weeks then does a rest week.  That is when she actuallyimproves because her bodyputs itself back together.

2011-12-13 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3936246

User image

New Haven, CT
uhcoog - 2011-12-13 9:33 AM
jarvy01 - 2011-12-13 8:09 AM

Quick question.....my legs are really fatigued and sore from all the high intensity cycling, running, and lifting.  I almost don't feel like I'm recovering adequately.  I'm getting plenty of sleep and I eat a high quality diet.  Is this a matter of fueling pre- and post- workout?  Or do I need to take a day off or something? 

Thanks!

Ideally you eat a carby meal 45 mins to an hour pre workout (I often squeeze it in 15 minutes pre) and then a mixed carb/protein meal post.  If you think your body needs a day off take it.  I'd say be realistic and if you think you're overdoing it than start to scale back on the least important activity (I'd say lifting).

BTW I hit 315 on squats yesterday and ran 9 miles.  My legs are shot today.  LOL.

I vowed that after football i would never squat again and i have upheld my vow. 

2011-12-13 10:09 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Thanks!

3 points:

1.  High intensity work requires recovery.  Not just a recovery drink but actual down time recovery.  When you start doing high intensity work back to back to back you're not going to recover and your going to increase your risk of injury while not getting in the benefits of the high intensity training.  In effect you'll be too tired to do high quality work.  Most high intensity workout requires at least 36 hours of recovery.

2.  Its December.  There are lots of ways to get fast.  I think you may be better served by building a base and then adding intesity as you get closer to race day.  Too much of anything (whether its volume or intensity) too soon is a recipie for injury and burn out.  If you really want to do high intensity work right now, I would focus on one thing.  To me it makes sense to drop the intense cycling and running.  Go through a solid stregnth training cycle and build up your leg muscles.  Once you've gone through that cycle then start with things like low cadence cycling (or Jorge's plan) and hill work on the run. 

3.  What's your plan for the season?  You're doing a lot of work, but I think you would benefit from sitting down, planning your season and figuring out what you would actually like to peak for.  I just watched Despicable Me and you need a little Vector -- a quantity having both diretion and magnitude.  You have magnitude, I think you need to direct it. 

Edited by kaburns1214 2011-12-13 10:12 AM
2011-12-13 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3936489

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
jsklarz - 2011-12-13 11:01 AM

Thanks!

When you say "alot" of HIIT, what do you mean?  you should not be doing HIIT every day.  Speed work on the run should be 1x week bike maybe 2x at most.  The point is go heard and let your body recover.  You improve during rest.  Hence, why you taper.  If you look at Kelly's workouts, she builds for 3-5 weeks then does a rest week.  That is when she actuallyimproves because her bodyputs itself back together.

Jeff-y, we agree!

2011-12-13 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3936246

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Thanks!

Ideally you eat a carby meal 45 mins to an hour pre workout (I often squeeze it in 15 minutes pre) and then a mixed carb/protein meal post.  If you think your body needs a day off take it.  I'd say be realistic and if you think you're overdoing it than start to scale back on the least important activity (I'd say lifting).

BTW I hit 315 on squats yesterday and ran 9 miles.  My legs are shot today.  LOL.

You just gave me a new goal.

I'm squatting 285.  Need to work for the 315.

2011-12-13 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3936503

User image

Pro
CyFair
jsklarz - 2011-12-13 10:06 AM

Thanks!

I vowed that after football i would never squat again and i have upheld my vow. 

Probably a good vow.  My joints don't like me today.  I've kind of turned the last few weeks into an n=1 experiment.  I am actually stronger in my legs (squats and deads) after not lifting heavy and/or routinely for months going into the 70.3 in Austin.  Didn't really expect that.

2011-12-13 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3436066

User image

Extreme Veteran
I do the trainer rides fasted at 5 a.m. I eat my normal breakfast right after showering - Greek yogurt, 1/3 c raw oats, handful of slivered almonds, handful of raisins, and coffee. I do the long ride on Saturday fasted, too, but I'm only up to 80-90 minutes right now anyway. When I get up to 2+ hours, I'll probably drink G2. I consume 1 gel on my long run, and then make a smoothie after - Greek yogurt, almond milk, protein powder, and banana. Then I'll eat a huge portion of waffles (sry, don't care about nutritional value...I eat them once a week and I love them). Before lifting/swimming, I just eat a normal dinner - meat, veggies, and veggie/nut salad. Last week I actually made pasta, which for us is whole grain rotini, 2 bunches of kale, garlic, and olive oil. That's was abnormal for us. Pretty low on the grains right now. Does that sound right as far as nutrition goes for what I'm doing right now??I plan on using Christmas thru New Year as a recovery week, and I'm literally cutting my training load in half. Because I want to. Because I'm dog tired.I'm also toying with the idea of doing away with the swimming for 4-6 weeks. I can jump right back in sometime in mid-Feb., and after a few weeks be right where I left off.
2011-12-13 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sry, my computer is acting funny. Kelly:All of my running is slow and easy. I'm not doing any speedwork right now, but I am doing lots of miles. Running 5-6 days a week. barryp's 3-2-1. Cycling is Jorge's program with heartrate. I'm only in week 2, but it's still hard work!! Only lifting twice a week right now. Yeah, I'm sort of confused as to what I need to be doing right now. I love Despicable Me, BTW

Edited by jarvy01 2011-12-13 10:41 AM
2011-12-13 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
weather turned to crap here...might try and run this evening if the drizzle goes away, otherwise just stretching and some inside core exercises today I guess. 

2011-12-13 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3936151

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
uhcoog - 2011-12-13 8:35 AM

carrie639 - 2011-12-13 7:25 AM I still don't get how people feel energized when they workout in the morning ... not me it drains me til late morning every time!

I'm energized until I get to work and then I'm like "Damn I'm back here again."  Saps all my energy.  LOL.

That's because of work, not the workout!  I'm the same way.  Actually if I don't workout before work, it's worse.  At least the exercise gets the endorphins going.

2011-12-13 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3936849

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Yeh, I like getting the workouts out of the way early, then no excuses later, but I am drained or lack energy, mental or physical til about 10am or so. Then I am good.
2011-12-13 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3936516

User image

New Haven, CT
kaburns1214 - 2011-12-13 11:10 AM
jsklarz - 2011-12-13 11:01 AM

Thanks!

Jeff-y, we agree!

PLUS, i actually complimented you

2011-12-13 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3936577

User image

New Haven, CT

jarvy01 - 2011-12-13 11:34 AM I do the trainer rides fasted at 5 a.m. I eat my normal breakfast right after showering - Greek yogurt, 1/3 c raw oats, handful of slivered almonds, handful of raisins, and coffee. I do the long ride on Saturday fasted, too, but I'm only up to 80-90 minutes right now anyway. When I get up to 2+ hours, I'll probably drink G2. I consume 1 gel on my long run, and then make a smoothie after - Greek yogurt, almond milk, protein powder, and banana. Then I'll eat a huge portion of waffles (sry, don't care about nutritional value...I eat them once a week and I love them). Before lifting/swimming, I just eat a normal dinner - meat, veggies, and veggie/nut salad. Last week I actually made pasta, which for us is whole grain rotini, 2 bunches of kale, garlic, and olive oil. That's was abnormal for us. Pretty low on the grains right now. Does that sound right as far as nutrition goes for what I'm doing right now??I plan on using Christmas thru New Year as a recovery week, and I'm literally cutting my training load in half. Because I want to. Because I'm dog tired.I'm also toying with the idea of doing away with the swimming for 4-6 weeks. I can jump right back in sometime in mid-Feb., and after a few weeks be right where I left off.

Are you suffering from "low energy" or do you feel fatigues?  what do you feel like?  Some amount of azz dragging is expected in a build session, but you should be slow and low right now with some HIIT unless you are training for something in particular, winter is about maintenance.  Plus, you are looking to do more long course this year so keep building.

Recovery food is a lot of BS in mind.  Unless I am doing a 2+ hour run or 3+ hour bike my "recovery" food is a nice big breakfast which includes a bunch of eggs, fruit and quality carbs (whole gran pancakes, waffles, frenchy-t, etc.).  My recovery drink of choice is coffee and milk with a little Traders Joe's Chocolate moo (real sugar, real cocoa powder). 

As I have posted before, I am not a believer in frankenfood or processed anything EXCEPT for use during racing or very long workout sessions, which vary by person, but for me are 1:30+ running or 2:00 biking

G2 is a waste of money.  Its jsut low cal gatorade with a bunch of extra crap (nutrasweet).  Use a regular sports drink, gels, blocks, etc.

No need for any food before lifting or swimming, eat after.

2011-12-13 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3936591

User image

New Haven, CT

jarvy01 - 2011-12-13 11:40 AM Sry, my computer is acting funny. Kelly:All of my running is slow and easy. I'm not doing any speedwork right now, but I am doing lots of miles. Running 5-6 days a week. barryp's 3-2-1. Cycling is Jorge's program with heartrate. I'm only in week 2, but it's still hard work!! Only lifting twice a week right now. Yeah, I'm sort of confused as to what I need to be doing right now. I love Despicable Me, BTW

Direction and magnitude baby!

2011-12-13 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3936997

User image

Extreme Veteran
jsklarz - 2011-12-13 2:25 PM

jarvy01 - 2011-12-13 11:34 AM I do the trainer rides fasted at 5 a.m. I eat my normal breakfast right after showering - Greek yogurt, 1/3 c raw oats, handful of slivered almonds, handful of raisins, and coffee. I do the long ride on Saturday fasted, too, but I'm only up to 80-90 minutes right now anyway. When I get up to 2+ hours, I'll probably drink G2. I consume 1 gel on my long run, and then make a smoothie after - Greek yogurt, almond milk, protein powder, and banana. Then I'll eat a huge portion of waffles (sry, don't care about nutritional value...I eat them once a week and I love them). Before lifting/swimming, I just eat a normal dinner - meat, veggies, and veggie/nut salad. Last week I actually made pasta, which for us is whole grain rotini, 2 bunches of kale, garlic, and olive oil. That's was abnormal for us. Pretty low on the grains right now. Does that sound right as far as nutrition goes for what I'm doing right now??I plan on using Christmas thru New Year as a recovery week, and I'm literally cutting my training load in half. Because I want to. Because I'm dog tired.I'm also toying with the idea of doing away with the swimming for 4-6 weeks. I can jump right back in sometime in mid-Feb., and after a few weeks be right where I left off.

Are you suffering from "low energy" or do you feel fatigues?  what do you feel like?  Some amount of azz dragging is expected in a build session, but you should be slow and low right now with some HIIT unless you are training for something in particular, winter is about maintenance.  Plus, you are looking to do more long course this year so keep building.

Recovery food is a lot of BS in mind.  Unless I am doing a 2+ hour run or 3+ hour bike my "recovery" food is a nice big breakfast which includes a bunch of eggs, fruit and quality carbs (whole gran pancakes, waffles, frenchy-t, etc.).  My recovery drink of choice is coffee and milk with a little Traders Joe's Chocolate moo (real sugar, real cocoa powder). 

As I have posted before, I am not a believer in frankenfood or processed anything EXCEPT for use during racing or very long workout sessions, which vary by person, but for me are 1:30+ running or 2:00 biking

G2 is a waste of money.  Its jsut low cal gatorade with a bunch of extra crap (nutrasweet).  Use a regular sports drink, gels, blocks, etc.

For one, I'm dragging azz.  I'm tired all the time though, so I don't think that's a result of the workouts.  I could fall asleep anywhere, anytime...seriously.  No amount of noise, light, etc. can keep me from falling asleep. 

My quads and hamstrings are sore. 

I guess I just don't know what I ought to be doing right now.  I want to get better at running and cycling.  Period.  Don't care about the swim right now.  I've been running 6 days a week - all easy with one day of hill repeats.  The Jorge cycling program is pretty intense (for me, at least).  I've been trying to squeeze in all 4 trainer sessions on top of the 6 weekly runs, and it all feels a little insane at this point.  My run is the weakest of the 3 sports, but I think I have the most to gain on the bike, because I'm naturally a little better at that sport.  Should I drop one of the trainer rides and do 2 hard/1 long easy, and then keep my 6 weekly runs?  Or should I drop the run mileage back and keep all 4 trainer sessions?  I was going to do a May HM and try for a more aggressive PR (aggressive for me, that is), but I'm not sure I can up the intensity of my runs in Feb./March/Apr. if I'm still cycling like this. 

Opinions?

2011-12-13 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3937258

User image

New Haven, CT
jarvy01 - 2011-12-13 4:27 PM

For one, I'm dragging azz.  I'm tired all the time though, so I don't think that's a result of the workouts.  I could fall asleep anywhere, anytime...seriously.  No amount of noise, light, etc. can keep me from falling asleep. 

You have 4 kids - if you werent tired i would be shocked.  I am tired all the time too and i only have 2.

You are working out lots, they should be.

I guess I just don't know what I ought to be doing right now.  I want to get better at running and cycling.  Period.  Don't care about the swim right now.  I've been running 6 days a week - all easy with one day of hill repeats.  The Jorge cycling program is pretty intense (for me, at least).  I've been trying to squeeze in all 4 trainer sessions on top of the 6 weekly runs, and it all feels a little insane at this point. 

Jorge's plan is NOT a beginner plan, you have a 1 year under your belt.  Dont beat on yourself so hard.  You cant go hard all the time hard run/bike cant be bricked together and should be followed by a very easy swim or total d ay off and preceded by a day off or easy swim.  Look at the schedule i posted for me which was a blend between the Jorge plan and an advanced 5k plan.  That was doable for me (until i got sick ) and about 8-10/hrs week.  BT has some good canned plans that you can tweak or ask for help tweaking.

My run is the weakest of the 3 sports, but I think I have the most to gain on the bike, because I'm naturally a little better at that sport. 

Run more until it gets crazy cold, then bike more.  DO a 6-8 week run block, followed by a 6-8 week bike block.  Dont neglect your swim you have lots of room for improvement there, but 3 days a week is fine for now.

Should I drop one of the trainer rides and do 2 hard/1 long easy, and then keep my 6 weekly runs? 

Keep the 6 runs for now, I would keep 4 trainer rides, 3 swims.  your long ride does not have to be a kelly ride (4-5 hours on the trainer) 1:30 - 2 hours is plenty for now.  [RUDY CAN YOU WEIGH IN HERE]

Or should I drop the run mileage back and keep all 4 trainer sessions?  I was going to do a May HM and try for a more aggressive PR (aggressive for me, that is), but I'm not sure I can up the intensity of my runs in Feb./March/Apr. if I'm still cycling like this. 

I dont understand "aggressive PR" you will PR automatically!!  you should not have much intensity until march/april.  Feb you should still be in base possibly 1 build

Opinions?

Relax!  it will happen Jen this is year 1.  You have plenty of time.  Rome wasnt built in a day.  It takes years to get good at this: just ask Bryan, Kelly, Rudy and most others.  You have 4 little kids and are doing great.  Just keep at it and enjoy the journey.  (Kelly - look how zen i am!)

2011-12-13 8:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jen - you have gotten some great advice. You have been doing a LOT of everything since your HM, you should be tired. I have nothing to add since I have no  more experience than you. I decided to start that weight training program for the next two months - the first month is supposed to have no cardio. I have been doing very limited cardio and actually enjoying the break and the change, especially since life is so busy right now. Enjoy your holiday season and take it easy - you don't want to risk injury!
2011-12-13 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3937437

User image

Extreme Veteran
jsklarz - 2011-12-13 7:22 PM

You have 4 kids - if you werent tired i would be shocked.  I am tired all the time too and i only have 2.

I guess I just don't know what I ought to be doing right now.  I want to get better at running and cycling.  Period.  Don't care about the swim right now.  I've been running 6 days a week - all easy with one day of hill repeats.  The Jorge cycling program is pretty intense (for me, at least).  I've been trying to squeeze in all 4 trainer sessions on top of the 6 weekly runs, and it all feels a little insane at this point. 

Jorge's plan is NOT a beginner plan, you have a 1 year under your belt.  Dont beat on yourself so hard.  You cant go hard all the time hard run/bike cant be bricked together and should be followed by a very easy swim or total d ay off and preceded by a day off or easy swim.  Look at the schedule i posted for me which was a blend between the Jorge plan and an advanced 5k plan.  That was doable for me (until i got sick ) and about 8-10/hrs week.  BT has some good canned plans that you can tweak or ask for help tweaking.

My run is the weakest of the 3 sports, but I think I have the most to gain on the bike, because I'm naturally a little better at that sport. 

Run more until it gets crazy cold, then bike more.  DO a 6-8 week run block, followed by a 6-8 week bike block.  Dont neglect your swim you have lots of room for improvement there, but 3 days a week is fine for now.

Should I drop one of the trainer rides and do 2 hard/1 long easy, and then keep my 6 weekly runs? 

Keep the 6 runs for now, I would keep 4 trainer rides, 3 swims.  your long ride does not have to be a kelly ride (4-5 hours on the trainer) 1:30 - 2 hours is plenty for now.  [RUDY CAN YOU WEIGH IN HERE]

Or should I drop the run mileage back and keep all 4 trainer sessions?  I was going to do a May HM and try for a more aggressive PR (aggressive for me, that is), but I'm not sure I can up the intensity of my runs in Feb./March/Apr. if I'm still cycling like this. 

I dont understand "aggressive PR" you will PR automatically!!  you should not have much intensity until march/april.  Feb you should still be in base possibly 1 build

Opinions?

Relax!  it will happen Jen this is year 1.  You have plenty of time.  Rome wasnt built in a day.  It takes years to get good at this: just ask Bryan, Kelly, Rudy and most others.  You have 4 little kids and are doing great.  Just keep at it and enjoy the journey.  (Kelly - look how zen i am!)

Thank you for taking the time to respond to everything, Jeff.  It helps!  I'm antsy and want results now, but it just doesn't work that way.  I'm hopeful that you're all right --  if I keep plugging away, I will get to where I want to be, but that means being patient.  I don't do patient well

2011-12-13 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque

Pretty neat video about exercise reducing health risks

I know none here need this, but maybe someone you know could benefit.

2011-12-14 2:55 AM
in reply to: #3937561

User image

New Haven, CT
jarvy01 - 2011-12-13 9:44 PM
jsklarz - 2011-12-13 7:22 PM

Opinions?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to everything, Jeff.  It helps!  I'm antsy and want results now, but it just doesn't work that way.  I'm hopeful that you're all right --  if I keep plugging away, I will get to where I want to be, but that means being patient.  I don't do patient well

if you want instant gratification dont do this sport: when Rudy and i ran the race we did last sunday for the first time he did about 30 mins.  Sunday he did 22, that took 5 years of consistent hard work.  you are fine.  Read kelly's last blog.  Endurance sport is a journey not a destination.  Also, even when you reach the peak of fitness you cant stay there long.

2011-12-14 3:53 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Happy Birthday Kell-y!!!!!!!   I hope you have a awesome sooper dooper day!!!

2011-12-14 4:01 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Just to add to what Jeff said, even when i was in full build mode for spring crit racing, i would only do hard intervals 2x a week, usually tuesday and thursday, Saturday would be a longer and short for Kelly 1.5-2hr on the trainer EASY PEASY with some spin ups at low resistance high cadence.

ALSO ALL my runs were aerobic and at an easy recovery pace, i did NO speed work on the run, as a matter of fact i have NEVER done speed work.

SO i was on the bike 3-4 times a week, and ran 2-4 times, i was not swimming and my swim times showed that this year.

Jenny, we all want it now now now now, trust me i have as little patience as you, but at some point you have to reel it in and say...am i in this for just now or the long haul??

besides, the longer you do this, the longer you have Jeff-y and I to ask questions, we like having you around.

Hell, this has been a great group, i like all you guys!!!  And Gals!!!

2011-12-14 4:38 AM
in reply to: #3937720

User image

New Haven, CT
Rudedog55 - 2011-12-14 5:01 AM

Just to add to what Jeff said, even when i was in full build mode for spring crit racing, i would only do hard intervals 2x a week, usually tuesday and thursday, Saturday would be a longer and short for Kelly 1.5-2hr on the trainer EASY PEASY with some spin ups at low resistance high cadence.

ALSO ALL my runs were aerobic and at an easy recovery pace, i did NO speed work on the run, as a matter of fact i have NEVER done speed work.

SO i was on the bike 3-4 times a week, and ran 2-4 times, i was not swimming and my swim times showed that this year.

Jenny, we all want it now now now now, trust me i have as little patience as you, but at some point you have to reel it in and say...am i in this for just now or the long haul??

besides, the longer you do this, the longer you have Jeff-y and I to ask questions, we like having you around.

Hell, this has been a great group, i like all you guys!!!  And Gals!!!

rudy is a big hugger.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2011 Part 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 237