BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-08-04 6:32 AM
in reply to: #2072085

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring
Hi G---

Question of the day.  I am doing an Oly on Sunday and it is supposed to be very humid and in the 90s something we haven't seen all summer.  How should I think about racing protocol?  I've run marathons in the low 80s and had difficultly taking in calories (stomach shutdown) and HR was threw the roof even when trying to take my effort down a notch. Made the last hour of the races pretty ugly.  Would like to avoid that if possible.

This is my last race before my HIM so the goal is to deliver a strong bike to run performance, something I have struggled with in longer races all season long.  The HIM has a very difficult run course so I really need to be prepared for it.

PS Went back in the OW last night after being out for two weeks.  Once again whitecaps sent me over the edge. TG, for my swimming partners shoulders!  Had to spend time getting used to breathing and swallowing water at the same time all over again.  Back at it tonight for my timed 1.2m swim.

Suzy

2009-08-04 4:34 PM
in reply to: #2326036

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-08-04 5:32 AM Hi G---

Question of the day.  I am doing an Oly on Sunday and it is supposed to be very humid and in the 90s something we haven't seen all summer.  How should I think about racing protocol?  I've run marathons in the low 80s and had difficultly taking in calories (stomach shutdown) and HR was threw the roof even when trying to take my effort down a notch. Made the last hour of the races pretty ugly.  Would like to avoid that if possible.

This is my last race before my HIM so the goal is to deliver a strong bike to run performance, something I have struggled with in longer races all season long.  The HIM has a very difficult run course so I really need to be prepared for it.

PS Went back in the OW last night after being out for two weeks.  Once again whitecaps sent me over the edge. TG, for my swimming partners shoulders!  Had to spend time getting used to breathing and swallowing water at the same time all over again.  Back at it tonight for my timed 1.2m swim.

Suzy

Swim -- you won't need to change much as the water will keep you cool.

Bike -- you need to be thinking more about managing yourself than blasting the pace.  So you'll need to slow a bit to absorb fluids a drink a little more more than usual.

Run -- same thing, you need to run to the reality of the weather -- as a smaller lady less of an issue for you than the big men but... you still want to avoid overheating.

With your comments on effort -- in that case take it down "two notches".  The athletes that don't do so will have a very slow run.  It's more about process management than speed in high heat/humidity.

Great to hear that you are sticking with the OW -- can't say that I am fond of white caps but the three-stroke breathing has helped me.  Also my swing recovery, works quite well in chop.

2009-08-05 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
Also my swing recovery, works quite well in chop.

G--I give up, what is "swing recovery"?
2009-08-05 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Since I have started triathlon I have abandoned my strength training altogether.  I "have fun" swimming, biking, and running and have been searching for the motivation to work on my strength.  I found it last weekend and put in some strength training on Monday.  As per my usual, I thrashed myself in the gym, went too hard.  I was VERY sore yesterday, missed my training because of it (I know G, I did not make the next day's training, my bad), but got back out for a run today and felt ok.  I have a 5k on Friday, so my lesson learned is not to thrash myself at any point, especially with a race coming up.

G- question of the day: my race is the "Full Moon 5k" and starts at 7:00 pm.  ALL of my training occurs between 5:00 am and 9:00 am, afternoon or evening training does not fit into my schedule.  We talked about nutrition and warm-up for 5ks already, but my question is how do I adjust for the late run?  Last year I had pasta about four hours before this 7:00 pm start time and my stomach was killing me, can't do that again.  For my normal training I am on an empty stomach except for one gel.  When I try to consume more than that or solids prior to early morning workouts I have issues.  My thought was to eat a small, light lunch more than four hours prior to start time.  Thoughts?
2009-08-05 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2324499

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
SSMinnow

I'm the shrimp!

Suzy = hot! 
2009-08-06 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2329524

User image

Champion
cjhild - 2009-08-05 11:04 AM Since I have started triathlon I have abandoned my strength training altogether.  I "have fun" swimming, biking, and running and have been searching for the motivation to work on my strength.  I found it last weekend and put in some strength training on Monday.  As per my usual, I thrashed myself in the gym, went too hard.  I was VERY sore yesterday, missed my training because of it (I know G, I did not make the next day's training, my bad), but got back out for a run today and felt ok.  I have a 5k on Friday, so my lesson learned is not to thrash myself at any point, especially with a race coming up.

G- question of the day: my race is the "Full Moon 5k" and starts at 7:00 pm.  ALL of my training occurs between 5:00 am and 9:00 am, afternoon or evening training does not fit into my schedule.  We talked about nutrition and warm-up for 5ks already, but my question is how do I adjust for the late run?  Last year I had pasta about four hours before this 7:00 pm start time and my stomach was killing me, can't do that again.  For my normal training I am on an empty stomach except for one gel.  When I try to consume more than that or solids prior to early morning workouts I have issues.  My thought was to eat a small, light lunch more than four hours prior to start time.  Thoughts?

Hey Justin

I cannot wait to hear the answer to this question.  I run between 5-6am with nothing more than a 1/2 bagel and a cup of coffee in my system.  Every time I have tried to run at night, GI distress!  I know when I ran Boston, I was up at 3:30am, but my wave didn't start until 10:30am.  I ate the bagel at 5am and then a 1/2 PBJ 2 hours before the race, but was afraid to eat anything more.

Suzy

2009-08-08 12:07 AM
in reply to: #2331471

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
SSMinnow

1/2 bagel and a cup of coffee

I can't even get close to that.  I have tried a couple times to eat in the morning, and have about a 40 minute drive to my gym for the pool or to work for a run and I always tend to have distress.  Eh, who knows, I feel like I do ok with only a gel???
2009-08-08 12:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Looks like my heart was about to explode, I think I found my max HR.  Yikes!

Mini race report:

10m 35s0.66 miles16m 02s/Mi
Avg HR: 136
Max HR: 173

Warm-up, but it still counts

27m 15s3.08 miles08m 51s/Mi
Avg HR: 190
Max HR: 202

Got my nutrition right this year.  Last year I ate too close to the 7:00 pm start time and had some stomach cramps.  This year we had steak, mushrooms and potatoes for dinner last night.  Today I had the leftovers at lunch, four bites of steak/mushrooms and about 3/4 cup of the potatoes at 12:30 pm, five grapes when my stomach growled a couple times.  Was perfect, my stomach was not an issue.  Been very hot the last week, in the 110s and the last two days have been just beautiful.  Cool the last two days, weather was awesome for the race.  The course has a pretty sharp/short uphill to start and then small undulations from there.  I went too fast up the hill but felt pretty strong all the way through.  I wanted to catch a guy at the end and I just didn't have the juice.  I did put in a nice little kick with about 100 meters to go after my wife signaled a guy was behind me.  Took over one minute off my time from last year, came in first in my AG, STOKED!  Local races rule, hopefully a fast 30-34 year old never moves up here.  I will try to get down to 26:00 next year.  Looking forward to working on my run over the winter, lots of room to improve.
2009-08-08 6:14 AM

User image

Champion
Really nice job Justin.  Sounds like you planned the meal perfectly!  I am sure 26:00 is well within reach.

I cannot believe how warm it is in CA.  Race tomorrow is supposed to be around 90F and very humid by 8am which for us is a major heatwave.  We haven't seen these temps all summer long.  I'm dialing things back and making sure I hydrate well today.

Enjoy the weekend!
2009-08-08 9:48 AM

Expert

Edited by BabsVa 2012-06-13 7:45 PM
2009-08-08 5:32 PM

User image

Champion
Hey Babs....great to have you back.  Injuries suck, but we have good ears so don't stay away if you are frustrated!!  We are swimming in Winneconne which looked reasonable when I picked up my race stuff.  The oly is an out and back.  I am lucky to be in Wave 2 given the heat.  I figure the earlier I start the better.  Two goals, moderate the bike so I don't feel like crap on the run (basically starting/staying in Z3) and fueling at that HR.  This is my last chance to get it right before my HIM so I am sticking to the plan even if people start to pass my on the bike (which I hate!).  You're right, it is pretty flat.  Personally, I like the challenge of a few hills to break things in up and allow for some recovery on the downhill if necessary.  100% pushing gets old and tiring!

2009-08-09 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2329210

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-08-05 8:10 AM Also my swing recovery, works quite well in chop.

G--I give up, what is "swing recovery"?

Swing the arm forward instead of placing your hand --

This video shows what I am talking about -- it's a bit over-emphasized but you'll see....

entry in front of shoulder
impossible for short entry (beside ear, common in hand placement entry)
relaxed recovery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnHNi2mX_gk 
2009-08-09 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2329524

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-08-05 10:04 AMG- question of the day: my race is the "Full Moon 5k" and starts at 7:00 pm.  ALL of my training occurs between 5:00 am and 9:00 am, afternoon or evening training does not fit into my schedule.  We talked about nutrition and warm-up for 5ks already, but my question is how do I adjust for the late run?  Last year I had pasta about four hours before this 7:00 pm start time and my stomach was killing me, can't do that again.  For my normal training I am on an empty stomach except for one gel.  When I try to consume more than that or solids prior to early morning workouts I have issues.  My thought was to eat a small, light lunch more than four hours prior to start time.  Thoughts?
Your plan should work fine -- personally, I find that a low-fiber meal finishing three meals prior to the event would work fine for me.Suggest you try your nutrition strategy before an evening run so you have confidence in it before the race.g

Edited by GordoByrn 2009-08-09 12:41 PM
2009-08-09 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2336828

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
I see that I replied to the pre-race meal Q after you had your pre-race meal! Glad it worked for you.I was hosting our Boulder Training camp this past week so online time was limited.g
2009-08-09 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2314633

User image

Champion
GordoByrn - 2009-07-29 8:55 AM G--here is my question of the day.  In doing the HIM bike course today, I was in Z3 or higher 85% of the time, 52% of the time Z4 or higher. These new zones are based on my last hour long TT.  If I used my 30 min TT from 6 weeks ago to establish zones, I would have been in Z3 the majority of the time. RPE for today seemed more in line with my 30 min TT.  Is it possible that my lack of power, especially during the hill segments in the hour TT actually suppresses HR zones?  I know when I climb hills on the CT,  I not only lose watts, but my HR decreases as well.  Does it matter?

++

Couple things here -- appropriate training effort vs appropriate race effort

How you feel in the three days after the workout will let you know how draining the training effort was.  If you find that you are/were whipped for more than 48 hours then probably too punchy for a training effort.

My advice for the race is to ride a little easier than you think you "should" or "can" -- then you will have your run data to review and see how close to your fresh paces you were able to come.  Nearly everyone swims/bikes too intensely so this strategy gives you the best shot at optimal pacing (which you check based on run performance).

For training, I think that segments of goal race effort mixed with Steady effort tend to work best -- it greatly reduces the stress of the total session to back off a bit and that will speed recovery.

Lose watts and HR falls -- you are putting out less power, doing less work so your HR falls -- that is normal.

What matters... for training -- the ability to repeat your week, and do key sessions that move you towards your goals.

What matters... for racing -- the ability to run well after the swim/bike.

Your consistency will be your best guide towards training zones.  In the race, take your off-the-bike performance back to run training performance and see how it stacks up.  

For HIM, if you end up running Z3 training pace with Z4 training HR then you are doing better than most.

When I get my HIM pacing correct can run low Z4 pace with high Z4 effort.  I benefit from deep endurance as well as a shorter event (4hrs) -- in certain ways my HIM is (physiologically) closer to an Oly race for the readers of this thread.

g-

Ok, today was the last Oly before my HIM.  It was 85F with heat indeces around 100F for the bike and the run.  My goal was to 1) keep it easier on the bike to improve the run performance and 2) get fueling rock solid so that when I got off the bike I wasn't gassed.  I read your HIM pacing article last night in preparation for the day. Even though it was a shorter race, I approached the race similarly.

Bike=25% Z3, 75% Z4.  I could have gone harder, but didn't. I got passed, didn't like it,but remembered what you said.  I might see these people later (and I did).  New fuel of choice-Perpeteum Latte concentrate with H20 every 10 minutes on the dot.

Run=93% high Z4 through high Z5.  Did a 10m race last weekend at a 7:40 pace at 80F, today 8:33.  Both had similar HR profiles.  Settled in the first couple of miles and then the lights went on, pace didn't improve a whole lot, but mental and physical strength did.  I picked off a load of people along the way who were dying from the heat and probably some overzealous biking. 

Overall, I am really happy with the experiment.  It sets me up well for the HIM, but based on what you said in your prior post to me, I probably did not do as well as I should have.  My ez pace Z2/3 runs are typically in the 8:30-8:40 range which is more or less what I did today.

So here is the question, how do you know if it wouldn't make more sense to hammer a little harder on the bike and hold on for the run? or at one point in the run do you say the hell with it and push harder knowing you could possibily blow up early?  I think I tend to be a more cautious runner, probably from too many years of marathons where pushing early can make for an ugly last 10K.

PS. Swim went ok, not great, not horrible.  I am getting used to being bumped, kicked and tossed around which is helpful.  I like the swing recovery video.  Need to try that in class on Tuesday.

Suzy

2009-08-10 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2336832

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
GordoByrn - 2009-08-09 10:44 AM I see that I replied to the pre-race meal Q after you had your pre-race meal! Glad it worked for you.I was hosting our Boulder Training camp this past week so online time was limited.g

No prob, thanks.

2009-08-10 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2335499

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
SSMinnow - 2009-08-08 4:14 AM Really nice job Justin.  Sounds like you planned the meal perfectly!  I am sure 26:00 is well within reach.

I cannot believe how warm it is in CA.  Race tomorrow is supposed to be around 90F and very humid by 8am which for us is a major heatwave.  We haven't seen these temps all summer long.  I'm dialing things back and making sure I hydrate well today.

Enjoy the weekend!

Thanks!  I am in the high desert of Southern California so we get some heat.  I work in the low desert (Palm Springs area) so it gets pretty nuts here, in the 110-120 range on the worst days.  Lots of swimming on those days!
2009-08-10 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2335658

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
BabsVa - 2009-08-08 7:48 AM

Justin - good job on your race.

Thanks!

Sorry I checked out for a few weeks there.

No worries, I know exactly how you feel.  Last year I was really into my MTB, had just gotten a new full suspension bike, was riding a ton, spending lots of time on MTB message boards, and looking at all things MTB.  I broke my collar bone and the last thing I wanted to do or see was MTB stuff.  I was so bummed that I could not do any of it, I checked out for awhile too.  Injury is a drag, welcome back.

2009-08-10 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2337136

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
how do you know if it wouldn't make more sense to hammer a little harder on the bike and hold on for the run? or at one point in the run do you say the hell with it and push harder knowing you could possibily blow up early?

++

You never really know but as you gain experience and compare race performance to training performance -- you will be able to see if you are giving away performance on the run.

Key thing for the bike is avoiding spiking -- an even TT will let you run better.

Continue to compare race run pace back to training run pace -- that is the most effective benchmark that I have found.

If you are racing Z2/3 pace with Z4/5 effort then you should remove spikes as well as the highest effort points from your bike ride.  You can outperform the norm but making that change.

2009-08-12 6:19 AM

User image

Champion
g

Shift in questions, what do you recommend people do in the off season?  As a runner, I've never really had one, but now that my training hours are a lot higher, I can see where changing things up might be a good idea for some period of time. Would like to do a couple half marathons and maybe a late April Oly (Lonestar).

This leads to my next question.  What's the best approach for planning an upcoming season?  I used to delay SBR races until after Boston, but I am defering until '11 to focus on my A+ race, IM WI '10.  I'm a planner so everything builds to the final race.  Did lots of Olympics this year for the HIM.  Should I be doing a couple HIMs for the IM? when to start? early Spring?  Is there any benefit to doing some shorter distances like Sprints and/or Olys.  I tend to like to race twice a month, mainly to work on the swimming or some other aspect of the race (e.g fueling, transitions, etc) and they're just fun.

Thanks
Suzy
2009-08-13 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2343198

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-08-12 5:19 AM g

Shift in questions, what do you recommend people do in the off season?  As a runner, I've never really had one, but now that my training hours are a lot higher, I can see where changing things up might be a good idea for some period of time. Would like to do a couple half marathons and maybe a late April Oly (Lonestar).

This leads to my next question.  What's the best approach for planning an upcoming season?  I used to delay SBR races until after Boston, but I am defering until '11 to focus on my A+ race, IM WI '10.  I'm a planner so everything builds to the final race.  Did lots of Olympics this year for the HIM.  Should I be doing a couple HIMs for the IM? when to start? early Spring?  Is there any benefit to doing some shorter distances like Sprints and/or Olys.  I tend to like to race twice a month, mainly to work on the swimming or some other aspect of the race (e.g fueling, transitions, etc) and they're just fun.

Thanks
Suzy

Here are some ideas for your transition season --http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/training_philosophy/offseason_gtips.html

In the first phase I talk about -- some of my crew like to stay a bit more active than walking and that's probably OK.

With the racing, you are a smaller woman so your recovery will be faster than the large guys -- so that will enable you to race more often.

If the goal is IM performance then I tend to have events that work on a specific requirement for IM success.  For most (but not all) that means not a whole lot of short course racing.  In older populations I do like the shorter races (if they are tolerated) as that helps hold threshold and LT performance on the bike.  Depends on the athletic age of the athlete.

g

2009-08-14 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2331471

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Hi Folks,I'll be offline for three days.Back on Monday.g
2009-08-14 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2343198

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
SSMinnow - 2009-08-12 4:19 AM g

As a runner

What running shoes do you wear?  Not that they would work for me, just curious what you wear.  I got a new pair yesterday and I can't wait to try them out.  Went with a Saucony Guide 2.  They felt good so I hope they feel good out there on the road.
2009-08-14 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2348325

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
GordoByrn

Back on Monday

Hey G, when you get back, how much stretching (in minutes?) do you recommend for a first year triathlete?  There was a thread on the main forum about stretching and a lot of people seemed to do no stretching before the workout.
2009-08-15 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2349434

User image

Champion
cjhild - 2009-08-14 3:20 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-08-12 4:19 AM g

As a runner

What running shoes do you wear?  Not that they would work for me, just curious what you wear.  I got a new pair yesterday and I can't wait to try them out.  Went with a Saucony Guide 2.  They felt good so I hope they feel good out there on the road.

I bounced around with a few brands/models before landing with Brooks Adrenalines about three years ago.  I usually try to rotate shoes so have the 6's, 8's and 9's all going at once.  Slightly different wear and fit makes it so that I am not constantly landing the exact same way each run.  I haven't gotten into the whole Triathlon running shoe--Zoot or Newton and really don't plan to.  These work well for me, but I am a modest overpronator with custom orthotics.

Hit a major milestone today, did a 2.65m swim (out and back) in one of the lakes north of Madison.  Choppy on the way out (at least for me) and pretty awesome on the way back.  I do find swimming for 1:42 mentally challenging. I feel like I can run or bike for hours, but this really seems to take forever.  Hope that changes the more comfortable I get OR I guess I hope I get faster so I spend less time in the H20.

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-08-15 1:55 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  

of 27