Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2010-03-10 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2718086

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Ken D's Group - Shut
chichitao - 2010-03-10 8:08 AM I've got it all planned out today.  I came into work 30min early to get off early so I can get in both a swim and bike.  Plan calls for 35m bike and 18m swim, so I mapped out a bike route and am going to bike 5mi to the pool, swim, then bike 3mi home.  That gives me 8mi on the bike on a very hilly route so I am hoping that should put me around 35min.  My swim will be 200y WU, 500y TT, and 250y CD. 

There, I've said it, and it WILL be done!

I can't wait to get in some longer workouts!

Sounds like a good plan.  I don't know what my plan is for tonight.  It has been a rough day and I don't feel like doing anything.  We made a tough decision and we are surrendering our english bulldog to a rescue this weekend.  He did not adjust well to the kids and spends more time in the laundry room than out.  It is not fair to him at all.  He needs to be in a family without kids.  His foster family is coming to get him on Sunday.  I sat here at my desk and cried for at least 10 minutes after talking to the rescue on the phone.

2010-03-10 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2719372

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2010-03-10 1:29 PM
chichitao - 2010-03-10 8:08 AM I've got it all planned out today.  I came into work 30min early to get off early so I can get in both a swim and bike.  Plan calls for 35m bike and 18m swim, so I mapped out a bike route and am going to bike 5mi to the pool, swim, then bike 3mi home.  That gives me 8mi on the bike on a very hilly route so I am hoping that should put me around 35min.  My swim will be 200y WU, 500y TT, and 250y CD. 

There, I've said it, and it WILL be done!

I can't wait to get in some longer workouts!

Sounds like a good plan.  I don't know what my plan is for tonight.  It has been a rough day and I don't feel like doing anything.  We made a tough decision and we are surrendering our english bulldog to a rescue this weekend.  He did not adjust well to the kids and spends more time in the laundry room than out.  It is not fair to him at all.  He needs to be in a family without kids.  His foster family is coming to get him on Sunday.  I sat here at my desk and cried for at least 10 minutes after talking to the rescue on the phone.

Wow....that is a tough decision to make, and I really feel for you, feeling some tears welling up just thinking about how agonizing that would be for you, but you are making the right decision for the dog.  Those dog rescue's do great work and you can bet they will find your bully a great new home. 

<<<<<BIG HUG>>>>>
2010-03-10 5:53 PM
in reply to: #2719372

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
That is a very tough decision and I would be devastated.  But, like Sandra said, you have to be commended for making that decision b/c it sounds like you are doing the right thing.  I think a lot of people would just be selfish about it and keep the dog no matter if he is happy or not.  I have several friends that are foster parents for dogs and they always find them great homes. 

Mrschach - 2010-03-10 3:29 PM

2010-03-12 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2556282

User image

Expert
South Jersey
What does everyone have planned for the weekend.  Looks like I have an 8 mile run on the lovely treadmill either Saturday or Sunday.  We are supposed to get heavy rains the next few days.  Any movie recommendations?
2010-03-12 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2722370

User image

Louisville, Kentucky
Lets see here....I hit the weights this morning.  I'll ride the bike over lunch.  Mabye I"ll run outside instead.

Saturday:  run or ride. 
Sunday:  Long ride.  50+ miles I hope.

Sunday is the family birthday party.  I turn 38 on March 17, but they're having my party Sunday.  My absolute number one weakness is birthday cake from the grocery store.  Yes, the gnarly sheet cake kind with the sugary icing with flowers and leaves and stuff all over it.  And a scoop of icecream with it.

I'm going to have to ride extra far to compensate!
2010-03-12 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Gotta swim planned in about 15min.  Will spend the rest of the day doing work around the house, then got a run scheduled for later today.  Bike planned for Sat and a run on Sun. 

I am totally out of the loop on movies right now.  Neighbor read Shutter Island and said the movie was very good.  Wife doesn't want to see it as she doesn't like scary/intense movies.  Not even sure what else is out.  I need to check into it.  Been wanting to go now for weeks...I am a sucker for the popcorn!

2010-03-15 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
So what's everyone up to?  Is the weather where you are at finally getting nicer?  Time to start moving the workouts outdoors? 

Well, we made it up into the high 70s low 80s this weekend.  Took full advantage of that and got a lot of stuff done around the house.  Got a swim scheduled for today.  Of course, tomorrow was supposed to be the first big group ride of the year with my bike club and it looks like it might get rained out.  But I can't complain about the rain as we had been in a 2yr drought until last fall. 
2010-03-15 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

Still rainy here today but the rest of the week should be gorgeous!  Hitting the treadmill tomorrow morning because my husband is working early.  At least I should say I am hoping to hit the treadmill early in the morning!  I might get outside early Wednesday morning if it is not too dark still.  Thursday night is my night to head to the Y to swim.  I plan to get two good runs in tomorrow and Wednesday.  I am planning on getting outside for a few easy runs over the weekend.  I have to work Saturday morning and my husband is working all weekend.  I might bring my clothes to work and run right when I am done.  My aunt and uncle are coming to stay with the boys while I work.  They will not complain if I hit the streets for a few miles! 

Any advice on what kind of miles to put in over the weekend and next week?  My ten mile run is 2 weeks from yesterday.

2010-03-15 6:06 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Mid-60's this past weekend.  Went on a longish ride to check out new routes.  Went further then I anticipated BUT was physically able to do it.  No cramping or total exhaustion.

We saw "Ghost Writer" on Friday night.  Excellent movie.  Very Hitchcockian.
2010-03-15 6:18 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I would shoot for your last big long run to be this Sun and try to do at least 9mi if you can (10 or 11 if you're up for it but don't push it).  Just slow and steady.  Take a day or preferably 2 off after that from running.  Then do 1 run of 4-5mi or so.  Don't push on these, just take it slow and steady, possibly at the pace you would like to run the 10mi in.  Then two days before the race do another easy 2mi jog.  That should do it.  You can do other training during the other days, but take it easy on those as well.  I like taking the day off before a race, but some people like to do a little something.  Hope that helps!
2010-03-15 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2727817

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
You're the 2nd person now that has really liked Ghost Writer.  Heard it wasn't showing at a lot of theaters.  I need to look into it. 

haha, I don't think "longish" quite describes how far you went!  I would've been in pain!

KenD - 2010-03-15 6:06 PM Mid-60's this past weekend.  Went on a longish ride to check out new routes.  Went further then I anticipated BUT was physically able to do it.  No cramping or total exhaustion.

We saw "Ghost Writer" on Friday night.  Excellent movie.  Very Hitchcockian.

2010-03-16 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
The weather here is warming up and daylight savings is in effect, so now there are a few more hours in the day for me. 

I've been a little quiet lately, and probably will be for the next couple of weeks as I am being slammed at work and have looming deadlines.  I'm trying to stay as connected as possible and keep on track with the workouts. I did sign up for the Vancouver half marathon yesterday, I"m not going to be trying for a "best" time for me, but will be there as someone elses pace bunny to help them get their best time, my husband is doing the same for one of our friends for the full marathon who is trying to qualify for Boston, should be a fun day.

2010-03-16 12:19 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
I completely understand Corstan.  And good luck on the 1/2 Mary.

Things are blowing and going here at work.  AND it's getting warmer.  Add these two together and it equals less computer time for me.  I'm either in the yard working, playing with the kids or running/riding.

The place we went to see Ghost Writer was the only one in the area that I saw.  But it's worth it.
2010-03-18 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
So what races does everyone have coming up?  I can't keep track of them all.  It's not a problem with the big races we list on our blogs but the smaller ones that we don't always enter.  Just want to make sure I am not missing a chance to motivate someone or give them my best with a race coming up.  My season doesn't really start until mid to late April, with a run and splash-n-dash.

Patrick I know has his BIG 10k coming up this Sat, so kick some major butt!

What about anyone else?

Ok, I'll keep updating this one with a very rough upcoming calendar:

3/20 - Patrick, 10k run
3/28 - Meggan, 10mi run

Edited by chichitao 2010-03-18 1:49 PM
2010-03-18 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2733928

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-03-18 1:22 PM So what races does everyone have coming up?  I can't keep track of them all.  It's not a problem with the big races we list on our blogs but the smaller ones that we don't always enter.  Just want to make sure I am not missing a chance to motivate someone or give them my best with a race coming up.  My season doesn't really start until mid to late April, with a run and splash-n-dash.

What about anyone else?

I have a 10 mile run next Sunday.  The only other thing I am registered for right now is another 10 mile run in Philly on May 2nd.  I have no idea what tris I want to do this year. 
2010-03-18 1:52 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

It's another beautiful day outside.  I'm ready to go home and fly kites with the kiddos.

2010-03-18 6:09 PM
in reply to: #2734003

User image

Expert
South Jersey
KenD - 2010-03-18 1:52 PM

It's another beautiful day outside.  I'm ready to go home and fly kites with the kiddos.

I came home with the kids and we went right out back.  Poor Joe wanted to ride his scooter out front but I was by myself.  I just can't chase them both on the sidewalk alone!
2010-03-18 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2733928

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
I currently just have what is on my race calendar, The month of May will be crazy, after which I will determine what my next challenge will be.

chichitao - 2010-03-18 11:22 AM So what races does everyone have coming up?  I can't keep track of them all.  It's not a problem with the big races we list on our blogs but the smaller ones that we don't always enter.  Just want to make sure I am not missing a chance to motivate someone or give them my best with a race coming up.  My season doesn't really start until mid to late April, with a run and splash-n-dash.

What about anyone else?

Ok, I'll keep updating this one with a very rough upcoming calendar:

3/20 - Patrick, 10k run
3/28 - Meggan, 10mi run
2010-03-18 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2734543

User image

Louisville, Kentucky
So sorry, team.  I've been buried.  Absolutely buried.  Gotta go to Calgary all next week, so I'm getting everything lined up and prepared.  Yikes!  I have to figure out how to train up there and make progress, not just maintain.

10K Saturday and I'm very excited!  Did a 2 mile jog today and 10 mile bike ride.  Upper body strength tomorrow morning.  Today was the most beautiful day of the year so far.  Had to get out in it.

Hope you're all well.  Bring it!!!

2010-03-20 4:11 PM

User image

Louisville, Kentucky

10K complete!  I LOVED IT. I posted my splits on my training log.  I found myself encouraging other runners that might not have been as strong as me.  I felt so good.

The guy I've run the 5k and the 10k with encouraged me to complete the Triple Crown and run the 10 Miler as well, which is on April 3.  I told my wife that I was thinking about it, and she told me I HAD to do it or I'd regret not finishing the Triple Crown.   So.....I just signed up and am so excited!

So I've been wondering if my shoes are shot lately.  Little tweaks here, little knee pain there.  All this coming on fairly recently.  My knees are very sore today and my feet hurt.  My shoes have between 250-300 miles on them.  So I went to my running shop and bought a new pair of Beasts! 

So now a question:  How do I prepare for the 10 Miler, being in Calgary for half of my training time?  I know I need to train on the road, but how far for each run?   Does anyone have thoughts?  

I know I'm going to take Sandra's advice on recovery. Nothing heavy for two days.  Maybe a short recovery walk tomorrow.  Maybe a short run Monday.

I gotta go stretch again and ice my knees.

Patrick 

2010-03-20 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Wow Patrick, that was an amazing race!!  Congrats and I am really happy for you.  Those were some awesome splits getting faster as the race went on, AND an 8:24 6th mile!  Sounds like it was a perfect race and those shoes can be retired going out on top. 

Now on to the 10miler!  You've got two weeks, so next weekend I would shoot for 8mi.  How you fill in the rest of the runs is not too important.  Just make sure you recover enough from this one and keep your during the week runs in the 3-5mi range.  Maybe run on the treadmill once or twice just to reduce some of the pounding on the legs.  Recover well after the 8mi too, but you should not be pushing on that run like you did today.  It should be an easy long run.  Then taper down leading up to the big race. 

Enjoy the moment, you can ride a good race high for quite a while!   

PS - if your hotel has a pool, get in and run laps.  very good exercise and almost no pounding on the legs. 

2010-03-20 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2737621

User image

Expert
South Jersey
bassandbike - 2010-03-20 4:11 PM

10K complete!  I LOVED IT. I posted my splits on my training log.  I found myself encouraging other runners that might not have been as strong as me.  I felt so good.

The guy I've run the 5k and the 10k with encouraged me to complete the Triple Crown and run the 10 Miler as well, which is on April 3.  I told my wife that I was thinking about it, and she told me I HAD to do it or I'd regret not finishing the Triple Crown.   So.....I just signed up and am so excited!

So I've been wondering if my shoes are shot lately.  Little tweaks here, little knee pain there.  All this coming on fairly recently.  My knees are very sore today and my feet hurt.  My shoes have between 250-300 miles on them.  So I went to my running shop and bought a new pair of Beasts! 

So now a question:  How do I prepare for the 10 Miler, being in Calgary for half of my training time?  I know I need to train on the road, but how far for each run?   Does anyone have thoughts?  

I know I'm going to take Sandra's advice on recovery. Nothing heavy for two days.  Maybe a short recovery walk tomorrow.  Maybe a short run Monday.

I gotta go stretch again and ice my knees.

Patrick 

Everyone is different with recovery.  See how you feel tomorrow and listen to your body!  I have learned that I need to run an easy 2 miles the day after my long run or I am hurting.  A few weeks ago I did 7 on Saturday and did not follow it up with a run on Sunday.  I went to the zoo and the park with the kids and lifted.  It resulted in my run being totally off on Monday and only being able to do that easy 2 miles.  Also with new shoes, you may want to try an easy mile run tomorrow.  I am not sure on what to tell you with getting ready for 10 miles in 2 weeks.  I have to up my miles pretty slowly because of my crappy flat feet.  No way I could go from consistently running 3 miles at a time to doing a 10 mile race.  Just listen to your body over the next two weeks.  Congrats on a great run!!
2010-03-22 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

What does everyone have planned for today?  I was supposed to get up and run this morning but Logan had other plans for me.  We ended up snuggling and dozing on the couch from 4:30 until 7.  I told Joe, my 3 year old, I would take him to the Y to swim tonight.  Looks like a big fat nothing here!

2010-03-22 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
hope logan gets to feeling better.

i've got a short swim and run planned after work. 
2010-03-22 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
I'm teaching bootcamp tonight, other than that I don't have anything planned.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken D's Group - Shut Rss Feed  

of 28