BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-04-12 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2578675

User image

Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
This might sound silly, but are the triathlon jerseys meant to be worn during the swim?  I know the singlets are, but was never quite sure about jerseys.  If you're not wearing a wetsuit?  Thanks!

2010-04-13 3:59 AM
in reply to: #2786574

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

geoffgm - 2010-04-12 7:22 PM This might sound silly, but are the triathlon jerseys meant to be worn during the swim?  I know the singlets are, but was never quite sure about jerseys.  If you're not wearing a wetsuit?  Thanks!

True tri jerseys are designed for that.  They are generally tight to the skin and sleeveless.  Plus made with a fabric that is quick drying. 

2010-04-13 6:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
There are videos on transitioning on Youtube.com, I think. At BT, too I think.   Really helpful to see how others do it.  Invest in a tri jersey as Ken said. They are made for this.  Test things out in the pool or during an open water swim before race day.  I had to practice getting a wet suit on (*tore mine once, back to the shop to get some glue scuba guys use) and then off...practiced unzipping as soon as I get out of the water,...pulling it down to my waist as I run...tearing it off at the transition.

One thing I've noticed is that I get out of the water woozy.  I think it is because of cold water in my head, after reading about it.  So, I plan to try ear plugs and an extra swim cap.  It's all about learning folks!  Love it!

Edited by IceManScott 2010-04-14 6:08 AM
2010-04-14 4:06 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I'll second the watching on you tube and looking at the clips and articles here.  When I did my first tri, I felt very comfortable with the transitions and other than maybe a little slow, they went off just fine.  I credit the knowledge I learned from the tools available here for preparing me!

2010-04-15 4:04 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Happy tax day!

2010-04-15 4:56 AM

User image

My last client return was picked up late yesterday afternoon so I'm free. Do a happy dance with me today!
Going to celebrate by running a half marathon route that I'd mapped. Got my Oakley's tuned to some great music and got the weather forcast for near 80. Happy, HAPPY tax day!!

2010-04-15 6:56 AM
in reply to: #2793125

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I'm on a slow week on the periodization plan.  I did a long bike Sunday and Monday, then no bike again until Saturday.  I swam twice, ran 6 miles last night so not exactly sitting still but way less than normal.  My body is recovering very well.  I ran the 6 less than 12 hours ago and feel like I could go out and do another long run no problem.  but I won't

The big news is I dropped 2 pounds in a week.  My coach and wife and a nutritionist my coach consulted with all thought I might be slow in losing weight (1-2 pounds a month) despite 2000 cals a day and a huge calorie deficit because my body may have dipped into starvation mode.   It's hard for people with weight problems to grasp the idea that we have to eat to lose weight.

Fat people are sedentary.  The body thinks that since the hunter/gather is sitting on its so much, it must be winter.  It turns down the metabolism and conserves cals in fat.  The same can happen when we exercise if we eat too little. If we don't maintain a certain calorie flow our bodies revert to the days in the caves when food was scarce in winter.  It will conserve all the cals it can so it becomes very stingy with burning them.   It gets really efficient at getting work down on the lowest amount of cals, which doesn't help the weight loss.  So the trick is giving it enough food and exercise to convince it that all is well, plenty of food out there, go ahead and burn what you want. 

The key here for me was to listen and trust them.  I also read Forever Fit by Richard S. Kattouf.  He is a big proponent of eating 5-6 small meals and snacks a day.  I started doing that about 3 weeks ago.  I lost a pound at first, now 2 more.  The rate is 1/week so far rather than 0.5/week at most.  I added one snack for 200 calories in the morning. A mini bagel and peanut butter.  But my overall cals have stayed right on 2000 a day - but for a night out when I hit 2200.  Apparently not a problem. 

Looking forward to riding outdoors Saturday and Sunday.  I'm on vacation next week so I'll fish and ride and run and swim.  Can't beat that.

You all have a great week!

The IceMan

Edited by IceManScott 2010-04-15 7:02 AM
2010-04-15 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2793125

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

bswcpa - 2010-04-15 5:56 AM My last client return was picked up late yesterday afternoon so I'm free. Do a happy dance with me today! Going to celebrate by running a half marathon route that I'd mapped. Got my Oakley's tuned to some great music and got the weather forcast for near 80. Happy, HAPPY tax day!!

Good for you!!!  Enjoy your run and happy dance!!! 

2010-04-15 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2793226

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-04-15 7:56 AM
I'm on a slow week on the periodization plan.  I did a long bike Sunday and Monday, then no bike again until Saturday.  I swam twice, ran 6 miles last night so not exactly sitting still but way less than normal.  My body is recovering very well.  I ran the 6 less than 12 hours ago and feel like I could go out and do another long run no problem.  but I won't

The big news is I dropped 2 pounds in a week.  My coach and wife and a nutritionist my coach consulted with all thought I might be slow in losing weight (1-2 pounds a month) despite 2000 cals a day and a huge calorie deficit because my body may have dipped into starvation mode.   It's hard for people with weight problems to grasp the idea that we have to eat to lose weight.

Fat people are sedentary.  The body thinks that since the hunter/gather is sitting on its so much, it must be winter.  It turns down the metabolism and conserves cals in fat.  The same can happen when we exercise if we eat too little. If we don't maintain a certain calorie flow our bodies revert to the days in the caves when food was scarce in winter.  It will conserve all the cals it can so it becomes very stingy with burning them.   It gets really efficient at getting work down on the lowest amount of cals, which doesn't help the weight loss.  So the trick is giving it enough food and exercise to convince it that all is well, plenty of food out there, go ahead and burn what you want. 

The key here for me was to listen and trust them.  I also read Forever Fit by Richard S. Kattouf.  He is a big proponent of eating 5-6 small meals and snacks a day.  I started doing that about 3 weeks ago.  I lost a pound at first, now 2 more.  The rate is 1/week so far rather than 0.5/week at most.  I added one snack for 200 calories in the morning. A mini bagel and peanut butter.  But my overall cals have stayed right on 2000 a day - but for a night out when I hit 2200.  Apparently not a problem. 

Looking forward to riding outdoors Saturday and Sunday.  I'm on vacation next week so I'll fish and ride and run and swim.  Can't beat that.

You all have a great week!

The IceMan

Good post Scott and great for you figuring out the balance of calories in and out!!!  It is a difficult concept to understand that you can't starve your way to weight loss.  There is definitely a balance that can be frustrating to find.  Does your nutritionist have you taking in the calories in a specific formula of carbs/proteins/fats?

Sounds like a great plan for your vacation!! Enjoy!

2010-04-16 3:32 AM
in reply to: #2793226

User image

Welllington, NZ
Brenda, Scott - well done for getting your workouts in. I'm having a shocker of a week. Felt some tenderness in my ankle/lower outside leg and decided to rest it but really have used it as an excuse all week to do nothing... finally managed to get into gear and get a 1.5 hour indoor easy bike session in... felt good to do something again and the ankle feels fine!

Biking with my son and his friend tomorrow so hopefully that'll all be good - 18k on gravel tracks through tunnels and then a picnic and sweets - it's a long ride for an 8 year old! But definitively need to find my mojo...

How's everyone else doing?

Lewis.
2010-04-16 4:13 AM
in reply to: #2795531

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

lbishop - 2010-04-16 4:32 AM Brenda, Scott - well done for getting your workouts in. I'm having a shocker of a week. Felt some tenderness in my ankle/lower outside leg and decided to rest it but really have used it as an excuse all week to do nothing... finally managed to get into gear and get a 1.5 hour indoor easy bike session in... felt good to do something again and the ankle feels fine!

Biking with my son and his friend tomorrow so hopefully that'll all be good - 18k on gravel tracks through tunnels and then a picnic and sweets - it's a long ride for an 8 year old! But definitively need to find my mojo...

How's everyone else doing?

Lewis.

That sounds like a fun way to get some riding in!  Enjoy it!!!

2010-04-16 4:14 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Brenda, how did the run go?

Anyone else have any weekend training planned?

2010-04-16 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2795536

kenj - 2010-04-16 5:14 AM

Anyone else have any weekend training planned?

A nice easy swim today, tomorrow another off day. Saturday got packet pick up and 1st timers meeting scheduled. Will be doing a lot of practicing on my transitions also Saturday. Was hoping for a sub 3 min T1 and a sub 2 min T2. However with the weather to be in the mid to lower 40s, my T times will be a some what more. I imagine I'll use a little extra time in T1 drying off a bit more than anticipated and maybe even throwing on leg warmers, or tights and a light jacket of a type, plus something for my ears and gloves. So all this throws my T time expectations right out the window.
Originally I was looking at a completed race in 1:15:00+/- 1 min (which in last years race times was an average finish), but now ??????
2010-04-16 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I learned long ago in fishing tournaments everybody is facing the same day.  Rain, cold, snow even.  No problem. Just do your best.  Stay positive.  Transition practice is a great idea!  I am going to wear a second cap in the water this spring and use ear plugs to keep warmer.  Have to get some and test them out.  Used to wear them in the pool and quit.  I don't know what I would say about getting in the water early.  I think I would not long before the start just so you have that shock over.  But not so long that you have to shiver on shore.  I'd be interested in hearing what others think about that.  Air temps under 50 something on your knees is definitely suggested. 

Have a great time!

2010-04-17 6:15 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I hope the temps warm up a bit for you Doug, but if it doesn't I would make sure you dress appropriately for the temps even if it takes a minute longer. 

Remember, we do this to push ourselves, but we also do it for fun!!! Have a great race!!!

2010-04-17 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2797945

kenj - 2010-04-17 7:15 AM

I hope the temps warm up a bit for you Doug, but if it doesn't I would make sure you dress appropriately for the temps even if it takes a minute longer. 

Issued by The National Weather Service
Indianapolis, IN
2:42 pm EDT, Sat., Apr. 17, 2010

... FREEZE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 9 AM EDT SUNDAY...

* TIMING: FROM 200 AM EDT UNTIL 900 AM EDT SUNDAY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES: LOW TEMPERATURES IN THE LOW 30S EXPECTED TONIGHT.

* IMPACTS: VEGETATION and TRIATHLETES MAY BE DAMAGED BY FREEZING TEMPERATURES AND WIDESPREAD FROST.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE IMMINENT OR HIGHLY LIKELY. THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND OTHER SENSITIVE VEGETATION.

&&

More Information

... FREEZE WARNING SUNDAY MORNING...

.NORTHERLY FLOW BEHIND A DEPARTING LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL CAUSE UNSEASONABLY COLD AIR TO MOVE INTO THE AREA THIS WEEKEND. SKIES ARE EXPECTED TO BE CLEAR TONIGHT WITH LIGHT WINDS. THIS SHOULD RESULT IN LOW TEMPERATURES AT OR BELOW THE FREEZING MARK SUNDAY MORNING WITH WIDESPREAD FROST.

Looks like my transition times just tripled

2010-04-17 8:48 PM

User image

Oh, Doug, I'm so sorry you have to deal with that, along with your nerves for a first time triathlete. You gotta just go out and have fun despite the circumstances that you can't control. I'll pray you get a good rest tonight and cross the finish line tomorrow feeling a huge sense of accomplishment. Please let us know how you did. You've worked hard, now go enjoy and don't forget to breath!
2010-04-17 9:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Good luck!  Wet suits rule! 
Try two swim caps and the ear plugs.  Good advice I've gotten from open water experts.
2010-04-18 4:44 AM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Yea, good luck Doug. Just remember to keep warm, cover those extremities and have a safe race!

Lewis.
2010-04-18 9:10 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
Hey everyone,

Hope all is well, haven't been around much, it's been a rough few weeks. My grandfather had a heart attack 2 weeks ago so I've spent most of the time in the hospital with him since I work at home and my grandmother and my aunt cannot drive as well. Plus my mom has 8 brothers and sisters, so it's trying to coordinate the entire family.  

He got sent home last week after finding he had 75% blockage, he had a stint put in and will have another one put in this week.  But for now, he is home and resting comfortably.

That pretty much threw off my plan for now.  I also played soccer the other day and some one clattered into my right knee, and my IT band feels all jacked up now.  R hamstring is still tender and sore, and I'm starting to feel it in my ankles too.  

Only 17 weeks out till my 70.3 and I'm a bit worried. $$ is tight so the 70.3 may be the first ever tri I do,a bit worried about that.  Plus trying to find a wetsuit, we'll see.  

Just ready to get back on the horse this week.  I hope all is well with everyone else. 
2010-04-18 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2799270

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ryanknapp - 2010-04-18 10:10 AM Hey everyone,

Hope all is well, haven't been around much, it's been a rough few weeks. My grandfather had a heart attack 2 weeks ago so I've spent most of the time in the hospital with him since I work at home and my grandmother and my aunt cannot drive as well. Plus my mom has 8 brothers and sisters, so it's trying to coordinate the entire family.  

He got sent home last week after finding he had 75% blockage, he had a stint put in and will have another one put in this week.  But for now, he is home and resting comfortably.

That pretty much threw off my plan for now.  I also played soccer the other day and some one clattered into my right knee, and my IT band feels all jacked up now.  R hamstring is still tender and sore, and I'm starting to feel it in my ankles too.  

Only 17 weeks out till my 70.3 and I'm a bit worried. $$ is tight so the 70.3 may be the first ever tri I do,a bit worried about that.  Plus trying to find a wetsuit, we'll see.  

Just ready to get back on the horse this week.  I hope all is well with everyone else. 

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, glad to hear it is working out positively.  From the sounds of the abuse you have been giving your legs, a couple of weeks of lower volume probably wasn't the worse thing! 

Go to score-this.com there is a new pool tri in Buffalo the last weekend in May.  Brian Moorman is using it as a fund raiser for his Punt foundation (I won my mountain bike at the Pittsford tri last year from the raffle he had).  Still not cheap, $75.00, but local for you so no travel expense. 

2010-04-18 1:47 PM

Race finished;  UPDATE TIMES POSTED

Started a little after 9am local with high 30 temps outside. The pool swim wasn't as vicious as I had perceived. I never got passed in the pool and I passed maybe 9 people (starting was based on what you reported as your 100m swim time). I did do the 400 m in a bit slower than what I had hoped 8:33.2 SLOW

The T1 was nasty, cold, wet, and more cold. I never slowed though, ran to the bike (about 50 yds away from pool). Gave myself a quick towel dry. Slipped on a head warmer, my helmet, long sleeve sweat drying shirt, knee warmers, socks, shoes (2 velcro and a buckle ). Ran another 30 yds to the start bike line. 3:57.4 SLOW

The bike for the first 2 miles was brutal for me, my chest where my tri suit was still wet was absorbing all the cool air was about numb. The pass/ be passed ratio was fairly even here. The bike portion (now looking back) I am truly disappointed in. I can recall a couple times I laid back thinking I don't want to burn up my legs for the run but to find out I had plenty. (chalk this one up to beginner mistake). 31:39.6- 19.0 mph COULD BE BETTER

T2 was smoother than I had hoped for what gear I had to remove. Ran with bike about 10 yds. By the time T2 came around I was warmer so I stripped off the bike shoes, knee warmers, helmet, head warmer, left on the long sleeve shirt. I tried something new in my shoes (I know your not suppose to, but I didn't see the harm in this one), I just purchased and placed in my shoes those elastic quick laces, that made a big difference. Grabbed my belt snapped it and ran maybe 25 yds to the chip timer. 2:21.1 COULD BE BETTER

The run felt good, I passed quite a few people here. At start of the last mile, I pickup up pace and the last 1/2 mile was even quicker. This is where I also noticed that my bike could of been a bit better. 23:08.1 -07:26.8 avg/mile EXTREMELY PLEASED

Bottom line:
Bib#- 362
Total time- 1:09.39 (6 minutes better than I was shooting for)Cool
Category finish 45/49M- 21st out of 57 (winner in this cat. was 57:32)Frown
Overall finish- 172 out of about 800 adults, 672 finishedUndecided

Conclusion- (for me) on a Sprint Tri, don't hold back. GO ALL OUT ALL THE WAY. Work on T1 and T2 times practice, practice, practice. I really enjoyed the whole experience, the event itself was first class or so it seemed. Lots of volunteers and police helping with traffic.
Grade for event-  A-

Edited by DougJ 2010-04-18 3:20 PM
2010-04-18 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2799627

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

DougJ - 2010-04-18 2:47 PM Race finished;

Started a little after 9am local with high 30 temps outside. The pool swim wasn't as vicious as I had perceived. I never got passed in the pool and I passed maybe 9 people (starting was based on what you reported as your 100m swim time). I did do the 400 m in a bit slower than what I had hoped 8:?? (under 8:30).

The T1 was nasty, cold, wet, and more cold. I never slowed though, ran to the bike (about 50 yds away from pool). Gave myself a quick towel dry. Slipped on a head warmer, my helmet, long sleeve sweat drying shirt, knee warmers, socks, shoes (2 velcro and a buckle ). Ran another 30 yds to the start bike line. Not sure what this time was.

The bike for the first 2 miles was brutal for me, my chest where my tri suit was still wet was absorbing all the cool air was about numb. The pass/ be passed ratio was fairly even here. The bike portion (now looking back) I am truly disappointed in. I can recall a couple times I laid back thinking I don't want to burn up my legs for the run but to find out I had plenty. (chalk this one up to beginner mistake). Again not sure of time on this.

T2 was smoother than I had hoped for what gear I had to remove. Ran with bike about 10 yds. By the time T2 came around I was warmer so I stripped off the bike shoes, knee warmers, helmet, head warmer, left on the long sleeve shirt. I tried something new in my shoes (I know your not suppose to, but I didn't see the harm in this one), I just purchased and placed in my shoes those elastic quick laces, that made a big difference. Grabbed my belt snapped it and ran maybe 25 yds to the chip timer. Again not sure time but remember sub 3 min here, or so I thought I saw.

The run felt good, I passed quite a few people here. At start of the last mile, I pickup up pace and the last 1/2 mile was even quicker. This is where I also noticed that my bike could of been a bit better. I don't recall my time for this part either, but it think I remembered seeing a  slower time than what I thought it would have been.

Bottom line:
Bib#- 362
Total time- 1:09:36 (6 minutes better than I was shooting for)Cool
Category finish 45/49M- 20th (winner in this cat. was 57:??)Frown
Overall finish- 163 out of about 800 adultsUndecided

Conclusion- (for me) on a Sprint Tri, don't hold back. GO ALL OUT ALL THE WAY. Work on T1 and T2 times practice, practice, practice. I really enjoyed the whole experience, the event itself was first class or so it seemed. Lots of volunteers and police helping with traffic.
Grade for event-  A-

I'd go one better and give you an A+!  Considering the cold weather and it being your first tri you finished top 20%!!!!  

Congratulations on a successful race Doug!!!

2010-04-18 4:45 PM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Ryan - sorry to hear about your grandfather, hope he recovers as best as he can soon. Well done for choosing the right priority - lots of people get so involved in things they're doing they neglect what's really important, family and friends, especially in times of need.

Doug - fantastic result on your first tri - sounds like you enjoyed it! Thanks for the report and i'm sure those transition times will improve with practice!

Lewis.
2010-04-18 9:27 PM
in reply to: #2799838

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
lbishop - 2010-04-18 4:45 PM Ryan - sorry to hear about your grandfather, hope he recovers as best as he can soon. Well done for choosing the right priority - lots of people get so involved in things they're doing they neglect what's really important, family and friends, especially in times of need.

Doug - fantastic result on your first tri - sounds like you enjoyed it! Thanks for the report and i'm sure those transition times will improve with practice!

Lewis.

Thanks Lewis, really appreciate it.  There's no way I could neglect my family. My dad passed away when I was 14, so they are absolutely number one in my life.  

Doug - awesome job on the Sprint! Well done!!  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29