BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-02-01 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3256691

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED
new month.... new SNOWSTORM! Undecided
(can you tell i'm VERY bitter about & currently in FEAR of the forecast??) Frown

sucks, especially when i'm TOO ready for it to just be spring already!!

but i'm excited!
i confirmed my 20km time trial for Feb 27th
looking forward to getting some concrete info & some numbers to jump off of! Laughing

2011-02-01 12:04 PM

Nic - good on you for setting up the TT. 

Masters swim this morning and barely made it to work due to more freakin snow.  Expected to get another foot and a half over the next 2 days.  We have well over 2 feet on the ground currently.  I would be depressed if I wasn't so annoyed. 
2011-02-01 12:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
UGH!!
we're in for that same storm!!
i'm hoping my master's swim doesn't get cancelled tomorrow
(& that the city-- given that this storm has been forecast & talked about for pretty well a WEEK-- gets their act together & CLEARS the junk off of the rd)

& thanks!
looking forward to it....
(as painful as i'm sure it'll be....)
i just want (& need) to get stronger on the bike.
it's crazy. i can run long distances... but NOT so much when i get off the bike Embarassed
(that being said... i was working with my mtn bike last year)
hopefully the rd bike will take it a bit easier on my legs
2011-02-01 1:01 PM

User image

Elite
SE
grey75t: I think LisaB had that surgery and then went onto qualify for AG worlds! She may be going to China this year with a fused spine...

wplummer: WTG on the run on the bad knee to start the month! Love to see February off to a good start after a lousy January. Likewise, good brick start for Peter! You guys are making me envious.

SOrry about all the snow nicruns/slokat! We have been clear lately but it sounds like everyone else is getting covered.

Time trials are pretty badazz. I hate how they hold you in place then you are off! I get nervous they will drop my phat arse and Slayer will go boom... I am registered for the Tundra Time Trial on 2/12. Not sure if I will go through with it but I am sure you wont be depressed if you give it your all. Those TT's are really awesome as you are going full tilt for the entire distance. I was totally gassed after.

This year I think people are expecting more out of me. THe pressure just gets me all anxious. Once the race gets going I am fine. Its just the anticipatory anxiety that I find so crushing. I just keep telling myself to focus on doing the best I can given my training/ability and the course conditions.

Nice 13 mile run on the books here. 2 hour trainer ride set for Wed. Need to get back to the pool asap....
2011-02-01 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3333124

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
grey75t - 2011-02-01 11:50 AM My back has a 9mm extrusion (L5/S1).  I've been hoping that over the years to come it will heal on it's own and manage the pain throug htimes like this.  The other option is surgery which I do not want.  I'm kind of scared of that to be honest.  Not of the surgery itself but the after effects and flexibility after having it fused.

Yep - I had a fusion done of L4/L5 in Jan 2006.  I guess I am 5 years post surgery now - hard to believe.

I'm not going to kid you - the surgery was not a walk in the park.  I was in the hospital for 4 days and it pretty much took a year to get back to "normal".  Within 3-4 mos (can't remember exactly) I was allowed to start doing all the weights I wanted.  Seemed weird I could do that but no heavy cardio.  I was allowed to walk all I want and I turned that into an Olympic Event - HAHA!  Six months post op I was allowed to add spinning classes in.

Come 2007 I realized how much I missed the endurance thing (I was "just" a runner before my surgery) and I bought a road bike.  My first season of riding I did the MS150.  I then met some triathletes and thought  - hey - I can do a sprint or two.  Which I did that summer with no training.

Following summer I did a bunch of sprints and an Oly or two.

Thanksgiving 2008 I went to my back doc and asked for permission to do a HIM.  The same guy that told me I would never run again.  He did an Xray and said I looked great and gave me his blessing to do a HIM (which I did Augusta 70.3 in 2009) and have probably done about 6 half mary's since then.

I say all this to tell you that yes, the surgery will take you out for a good year and then it will take you a while to get where you want to be.  But if you ask me it's worth it.  Before my surgery I could run all day long but I couldn't walk or stand.  My doc says that everyone has a point where there is no longer a choice - when they are ready to undergo the knife.  And everyone is different, depending on their lifestyle, pain threshold and tolerance.  I was 46 years old when I had mine.  And my point of no return came when I realized there was no way I could walk thru the brand new Atlanta Aquarium with my then 12 and 14 year old.  Not an option for me to miss out.  I want to participate in life, not watch it go by.

All that said not everyone has the same outcome.  One thing I am sure that brought me to this place of strength and healing is that the moment I was allowed to walk I was doing double laps around the nurses station.  When I got home I waited by the front door for my kid to get home from school with coat in hand waiting for him to take me and the dog for our walk.  I will never forget when I could finally leave my street.  What an accomplishment!  I also borrowed a treadmill and walked on that thing countless times per day.  And progressed exercise wise from there with the docs permission.

grey75t I understand where you are coming from.  But don't be afraid.  Sometimes doing nothing is the worst thing of all.

PS - where I had my surgery is only one up from where you have the problem.  You won't lose flexibility to where it will change your life (unless you're a contortionist on course).  Only time I notice the slight change is when I bend over to shave my legs.  Not life altering.

PPS = hope that wasn't too much rambling for you all!   

2011-02-01 10:24 PM

Redlands, CA
Thanks Lisa B!!!  I don't know anyone who has gone through that.  As I go through this again now I know I will be fine after a couple weeks with back exercises and stretching but then it WILL happen again dow nthe road.  You know what I'm talking about when you can't even put your socks on without it feeling like I'm being stabbed.  I have another MRI here this week and my next ortho doc appoinment in less than two weeks.  I guess I'll see how it is by then.  A year of recovery!!!!  Oh man that is hard to think about!
Thank you for sharing.

2011-02-01 10:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
wow....
incredible story.
glad you've CLEARLY recovered so well

& to you: a speedy recovery to you too!! (no matter what you decide now or down the road!)

the level of motivation & determination on BOTH of you is pretty incredible

and has taught me....
(i should b!tch less) Tongue out

2011-02-02 4:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Wow .. ditto what nicruns said. You both have lots of courage and I feel humbled.

2011-02-02 6:12 AM

User image

Elite
SE
LisaB is a remarkable woman and triathlete. That is only part of her story. And she is becoming a better swimmer from her logs.

Hope y'all are fighting through the demons today whatever they may be. I'm looking at a tough day today. Hope I can get through with it and get on the trainer. Its supposed to be 20-25mph winds and chilly. 2 hours on the trainer doesn't sound that bad....
2011-02-02 8:23 AM

User image

Master
My trainer ride was a little shorter than what you have planned but I did Aero-base Builder#16 this morning. Need to run but work has gotten in the way. My broken toe is killing me when I run but after reading the back stories I don't think I have much to complain about. Hopefully off to the pool at lunch.
2011-02-02 9:20 AM

User image

I had a great ride yesterday, I think the weather has gotten everyone in a pickle. It's really windy out here and I know points east of the Rockies don't have it so well. Make the most of it guys! Yesterday I listened to competitor radio podcast of Clayton Treska. Everyone needs to look this one up. Dear me, b!tch no more.Sincerely, me.

Edited by tri4fun73 2011-02-02 9:21 AM

2011-02-02 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3334541

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
grey75t - 2011-02-01 11:24 PM Thanks Lisa B!!!  I don't know anyone who has gone through that.  As I go through this again now I know I will be fine after a couple weeks with back exercises and stretching but then it WILL happen again dow nthe road.  You know what I'm talking about when you can't even put your socks on without it feeling like I'm being stabbed.  I have another MRI here this week and my next ortho doc appoinment in less than two weeks.  I guess I'll see how it is by then.  A year of recovery!!!!  Oh man that is hard to think about!
Thank you for sharing.

Let me go on to say that recovering from back surgery was a walk in the park (as hard as it was) to the recovery for surgical repair of a slap tear in my shoulder in Dec 2009.  Hardest thing I have ever been thru.  I'm right handed and of course it was my right side.  I was in a sling for about 2 mos - one of those pillow like ones that holds your arm our from your body.  Needless to say getting back my range of motion was so hard and painful.  I remember the first time I was at rehab (which I did min. of 3x/week and boy did that get old) and I didn't cry.  The PT said that was progress baby!  And let me tell you, the crying was not from pain (although it hurt like hell).  It was from the sheer frustration of it all.  My kids had to dress me. 

But in my true fashion of fight I rode the damn lifecyle in my basement ever day.  I just looked and I logged 35 hours of stationary biking in 2010.  That way when I was allowed to even walk I was in some kind of shape.

My point here is that where there is a will there is a way.  We can all overcome anything and everything if we really want to.  This includes eating right and losing weight, recovering from an injury, quitting smoking.  And I don't mean to say it is all willpower - it is not.  It is WANTING something and finding what it is that helps you get there.

grey75t - good luck at your appointment.  Like I said - everyone has their breaking point.  You may never get tired of the bouts of pain and recovery or you may be thru with it soon.  A year is nothing if you ask me compared to a lifetime of misery.  And remember - that year is progress.  You feel good about every single thing you accomplish.

Now - I'm off to masters lunchtime swim.  Remember that shoulder surgery a year ago - I can swim 3000 yards now!  Hassle to get here, but at least I'm here.  Alternative was never swimming again.

Everyone - go out and find what it is that will give you the will to get you where you want to go.

Edited by Lisa B 2011-02-02 9:53 AM
2011-02-02 11:23 AM

Extreme Veteran
ok.... i'll admit.
i called into work today (& took a vacation day) Innocent

7k run in the books last night
swimming tonight is cancelled (all school board facilities-- including the pool i train out of-- are closed for the day)
& i'm MORE than likely going to bail on my run

BUT!
my tri/cycling shoes are en route from the US
& i got a pair of discounted PEDALS online too! (haven't been shipped YET.... but i'm hoping i'll get them in time to try them out on that computrainer ride)

keep in mind-- i have NO idea what i'm doing. Embarassed

however!
being sort of locked into the computrainer seemed like a good time to (hopefully!) try out the new gear and get used to learning how to properly use the shoes & pedals....
(or am i way off?)
should i stick with the flat pedals & running shoes for the TT?
or (Assuming i get it in time)-- bust out the new stuff?

also... for a TOTAL rookie... is there any sort of strategy to a computrainer trial?? or is just PLUGGING away enough?
2011-02-02 12:51 PM

User image

Master
If they let you bring your own shoes and pedals, I would do that. A trainer is a great way to learn to clip and un-clip.
2011-02-02 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA

Not only will you learn how to clip and unclip, you can try standing too.   Besides getting good practice you get more power in cycling shoes and being clipped in.  Good luck and have fun.

BTW, wish I was having a vacation day too .  Lucky you! 

2011-02-02 1:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
lol!
TRUST me....!
this was PURE wimpiness on my part (to take the day off)
:S

& thanks for the advice you two!
makes sense to try and get comfortable sooner rather than later.
it's a process i'm REALLY looking forward to!

hoping the improved efficiency (over flat pedals & running shoes) will help save my legs a bit more for the run

strength training & core work for me today
yes... i'm bailing on the run too....

2011-02-02 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3335563

User image

Master
nicruns - 2011-02-02 2:29 PM lol!
TRUST me....!
this was PURE wimpiness on my part (to take the day off)
:S

& thanks for the advice you two!
makes sense to try and get comfortable sooner rather than later.
it's a process i'm REALLY looking forward to!

hoping the improved efficiency (over flat pedals & running shoes) will help save my legs a bit more for the run

strength training & core work for me today
yes... i'm bailing on the run too....

I doubt it. You will just get stronger and faster. You use more muscle groups when you are clipped in so you generate more power.
2011-02-02 2:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
i'll take stronger & faster too
Tongue out
2011-02-02 5:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
random question...
is it a faux pas to wear super comfy fully lined mountain bike shorts for a road cycling event?
(not a race... just a long distance ride....)

just curious!!
2011-02-02 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3336086

User image

Elite
SE
nicruns
Although you may look a bit out of place, I think its ok to wear whatever you want. go for it!

On the strategy question, I think you have to mentally measure out the top end effort so you dont get gassed half way. the goal is to get to the finish line with nothing in the tank (as the fuel just runs out). make sure you have some good hydration and carbs the days before. Kind of get a sense somehow what your body can handle for how long....
2011-02-02 7:38 PM

User image

Master
nicruns

Roadies are about the snootiest group of people you will ever meet. I'm always amazed that A group riders barely associate with the B and C group riders. I think the mountain bike shorts would be a better choice  than showing up in a full Team Astana kit. Most of the riders don't care what you wear. Just make sure you are comfortable.

2011-02-02 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3336344

User image

Elite
SE
I agree with peter ^^^ but cyclists say the same thing about triathletes....

you all see this article about running and stretching?:
http://triathlon.competitor.com/2011/01/training/want-to-improve-your-economy-stop-stretching_19410

I am pulling what I want from it: "In other words, the harder it was for a runner to touch his toes, the more economical his running was."
2011-02-03 1:17 AM

User image

Wow Lisa, I've just been catching up on the thread ... you're amazing!
Such an inspiration.
Smile

2011-02-03 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Work is killing me this week. Got in a 30 min anaerobic spin this morning (Spinnerval 23 #1) Very low chance of swim today.
Scheduled to ski tomorrow but may back out due to poor ski conditions. Have a real ski trip planned in a few weeks so may just hold out until then. Anybody have any advice on training while on a ski week? It falls 2 weeks before my first sprint of the year.
2011-02-03 9:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
ENVY!!!
i can't wait until race season starts!!!
:D
(& have a blast skiing!)

and thanks for the bike/shorts advice....
(just thought i'd ask!!)
i'm partial to the mtn bike shorts-- they're COMFY!
(i heart sugoi clothing)
Smile
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38