BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-04-01 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3420569

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL

RookieIM - Nice race!!!  Looks like we have a fish on our hands.  

Bendart - good to hear you know what the foot issue is now.  Take it slow and you'll be back in no time.  

David - good lord...I wouldn't have jumped in that water.  I would love to do an Xterra race at some point soon.  Clearly, not that one.

How has everyone's training been going?  I'm hoping all the injuries have been healing up quickly, and everyone else is staying healthy!

My training has been borderline non-existent as life has been incredibly hectic lately.  On top of the work travels, I've just accepted a new job in Portland and am scrambling to get my stuff ready for a big move.  I'm really excited, but it's limiting my training for the time-being.  

Everyone have an amazing weekend and train safe!

Drew 

2011-04-01 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3425399

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

First Tri of the season for me tomorrow.  Smithfield Sprint.  It is a pool swim, not too fond of it.  But it is a short race.  Really aiming to knock a lot of time off of all the areas.  Supposed to be chilly.  Also, 19mph winds with 30 mph gusts.  As long as I do not get blown over, then should be a good race to PR.  This will be my 3rd year doing it.  The first year, was my first Tri.  I was not fast then, had not even ridden the bike a tons.  Last year, my second year, I did the race with a stress fracture against Dr's orders.  I actually only finished 19 seconds slower than my first year.  I have been training a ton for my May 7th HIM, so I feel way prepared for the race tomorrow.  I have gotten a lot faster and hope everything falls into place on race day!  

Good Luck to everyone racing this weekend!

2011-04-01 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3425514

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Good luck, Dixbry!  You'll do great.
2011-04-01 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3257746

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

Had my first tri of the season last week. Took 1st AG and 7th OA. It was a good time, the running has really been paying off. This weekend I'm competing in a 'Splash and Dash' in Phoenix (2KM swim and 4 mile run). A small group of us are going to take a bike ride afterward. This will be a good warm-up for the Oly next weekend, which will be at the same venue.

Good luck on the move, Drew and congrats! That's quite the move!

Good luck on your race this weekend, Dix! And good training and racing to everyone else!

2011-04-02 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
I don't have my split yet, waiting on those to do the race report. But I am happy to say that I got 1st in my age group today. I pr'd by 15 minutes. It was super windy on the bike. And the horrible cramp returned on the run, thus slowing me down some. Our Tri club took home 8 age group awards today. Hopefully I will get the splits soon and will be able to race report it up for everyone tomorrow.
2011-04-03 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA

Way to bring home the hardware! 

I shaved 7:14 off of last years time, showing improvements in all 5 categories (including both transitions.)  I'm still not where I want to be, but I'm pleased with my progress. 

Which Tri-group do you train with?  Frogs, Final Kick, other? 

2011-04-04 5:08 AM
in reply to: #3428050

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

I am with the Y/fat frogs Tri club from chesapeake.  We had about 20+  people doing the race.    

7 minutes is a alot to knock off of your time!

2011-04-04 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
2011-04-05 11:48 PM
in reply to: #3428201

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA

Wow!  Mandsberry and Dixbry!!! AMAZING!!!

Those are HUGE improvements for both of you - that must be an amazing feeling (it should be).  It's always great to know your hard work is paying off.  Is there something - or things - you can attribute the gains to?  Consistent training?  Experience?  

I start work with the new job tomorrow (still in LA for the week, moving Sunday).  I'm excited as the role revolves around high school running.  Always fun to work when it relates to your passions.

How's everyone's training going this week?  Mine is so-so.  I don't think I'm going to get back on track completely until I get up to Portland.  I'll just live vicariously through you guys.  

2011-04-07 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3431760

User image

Veteran

Awesome, Mandsberry and Dixbry!!!

I have been struggling. Now I have strep throat and no sick days left at work b/c of all of the appointments I needed to have (the most recent one involved my getting shocked with an electric probe and having needles shoved into my muscles). I have an MRI coming up on the weekend - just to make sure I don't have MS.

On the other end of things, I bought a pair of Vibrams! I LOVE them, but my calves were tremendously sore after my first 1/2 mile run!  It took a week to not feel REALLY sore so I guess it was a good time to get strep afterall. I can't wait to get well and go play. I am truly so very frustrated with my health, but grateful that I have nothing life threatening. I may have a weird joint condition which makes me very flexible but also experience some chronic pain.  I'm working with a guy with the Vibrams but had to cancel my Tuesday appointment b/c of the strep. Hopefully, I'll see him next Tuesday and be well enough to continue training.

I may put off this barefoot training until after tri season. Suggestions? I now wear orthotics which help w/hip & arch pain.

Take a moment to appreciate your health, people I know I am (despite the annoyances I'm experiencing now)

2011-04-12 9:43 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Ok, sorry for being MIA!  I have still been training hard and I have been training with a group.  We finally move to working outside this weekend!  I am excited about that. Congratulations to all those that raced, and Drew on your move.  I am approx. one month out til my first sprint, 5/15.  I am excited and nervous, but I think I am ready, and I know in another month, this ex-smoker will be able to complete a triathalon.  It may be a sprint, but it is more than I could of even imagined doing 3 months ago.  Thanks to everyone for making such inspirational posts.  Even those that have been absent or hurt have been encouraging to me. THANK YOU ALL!!

2011-04-18 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3443529

User image

Veteran

After a tough winter, a lot of being sick - I took off what I hoped would be enough time before a duathlon...Ben and I did this one in Wrenthem. The race report is up!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=248829

So is Ben's:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=248733

We had fun

2011-04-19 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3452714

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
gcoller - 2011-04-18 1:16 PM

After a tough winter, a lot of being sick - I took off what I hoped would be enough time before a duathlon...Ben and I did this one in Wrenthem. The race report is up!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=248829

We had fun

Way to hang in there.  No doubt flat's are frustrating.  I've not had one in a race yet; but, I've had three this year already. 

One more, and I'll be doing my best Norman Stadler impersonation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJWhNg-QiTc

The season is still early, lot's of time for continued progress.

Great job.

Edited by mandsberry 2011-04-19 10:26 AM
2011-05-01 4:29 AM
in reply to: #3454642

first race ever today... lincoln nebraska half marathon. i was so excited last night i could hardly sleep... will post times and report when i am done.
2011-05-01 6:53 AM
in reply to: #3475557

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

loper245 - 2011-05-01 5:29 AM first race ever today... lincoln nebraska half marathon. i was so excited last night i could hardly sleep... will post times and report when i am done.

Good Luck on your race...most importantly, have fun!

2011-05-01 6:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
I am in full taper mode.  My first HIM is on Saturday.  It is taking forever for race day to get here.  I am ready.  Since it is my first longer distance, I have only done sprints up to this point, I know the main goal should be to finish.  The competitive side of me wants that Age Group spot.  

2011-05-02 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3475612

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA

Good luck, not that you'll need it.  Can't wait to read your race report.

I've got friend heading down there for her first HIM also. 

2011-05-03 9:52 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Good luck Dixbry, and hope u did well Doug. Aim 12 days out from first ever tri. Sprint distance and first open water tri in CO. I am excited to see how I finish in my AG. Sunday swim practice set all new Pr's. Finally beat the guy that usually beats me, actually lapped him and finished my 750 when he was still trying to come in for 700. I was so excited! I did a 1:21 100 which was also a new best. I am excited to start reading everybody's race reports.
2011-05-10 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Race went ok.  The swim was cancelled due to fog.  A bummer since I choose this race because of the swim.

My race report is up.  The race did not go as planned in a couple of ways.  But I finished.  Very proud of my bike, not so much my run.  I am already planning the next one.  Gotta start getting my body used to running in the heat.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=251629&posts=1&start=1

I am in recover mode.  Legs were really sore the last two days, but are feeling much better today.  

Not much planned this week...just taking it easy.  Next events for me are MS 150 the first weekend in June, then the 2nd weekend in June, I am doing Bukroe, which is an International distance.

2011-05-10 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran

I'm back in the saddle again - race reports are up.  Congrats, Dixbry...can't wait to read the report!  I may have to cut my season short to get my gall bladder out. It would mean missing my favorite race this year However, at least I will have fit in 3 multisport events beforehand.

I started serious training today (for the even that I may have to forego but I'm going to keep going until the day of surgery to perhaps promote better healing.

2011-05-11 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA

Interesting race report Dixie.  The revised start must have been chaotic.  Reading through it got me nervous about Patriots this September.  It'll be my first HIM and I am starting to get nervous, though I know I can complete all of the distances... just don't know about together.

Maybe see you at Buckroe.

2011-05-12 12:21 AM
in reply to: #3431760

ok, so i finally finished up my first race report. Any suggestions about the sleeping limbs, please let me know...

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=250447

enjoy

Doug

2011-05-13 6:18 AM
in reply to: #3493128

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
mandsberry - 2011-05-11 9:33 AM

Interesting race report Dixie.  The revised start must have been chaotic.  Reading through it got me nervous about Patriots this September.  It'll be my first HIM and I am starting to get nervous, though I know I can complete all of the distances... just don't know about together.

Maybe see you at Buckroe.

It was chaotic....at least for me.  This was my first HIM, and I can say that I was not nervous at all.  My biggest tip is to trust your training.  I think that is why I was not really nervous.  Other than the run part, I was so ready.  I knew I had trained and put in the miles.  With the run, I thought that my years of running would help me more.......and it didn't.   Even while things were not going so well on the run,  I never once thought the distance was too much.  

I do think you have to be a little ready for what ever the race throws at you.  This race taught me that you can be so ready......but other things beyond your control can happen....and they can have an impact on your race.  I think too, with the longer distances, you have to be willing to adjust your time goals during the race.  Just Finishing is an accomplishment!

You will rock the Patriot Half!

We will have to post our bib numbers for Buckroe when we know them so that we can say Hi to one another.

2011-06-22 11:04 PM
in reply to: #3496835

i wonder if anyone still looks at this everyday like I do wondering if anyone will post.

I have had a few things happen that i am happy with. I officially signed up for the half ironman on aug 21, so wish me luck. I have also learned how to use my bike. I successfully have gone on several long bike rides using clip pedals and have not crashed yet *knock on wood*. Although the first time that i attempted to use the clips i was on a trainer and could not unclip, as i thought it would be natural... well i could not figure it out so I unstrapped my shoes, left them attached to the bike and went and looked up a tutorial on youtube... talk about funny now in retrospect. Is there anyfix for the hurt my bum takes riding that bike? I bought the best shorts Scheels sells and my bum is so sore after 35 miles I can hardly sit down for 2 days... any help here would be nice.

In mid may i had a pain come up in my right foot and they thought it might be a stress fracture. I was put in the boot and had an MRI done. No stress fracture thank goodness, but the doc thought it could have been a misaligned joint. She thought the week i waited for the results of the MRI in the boot realigned the joint. I also had some sort of a cyst on my foot, she trained draining it and nothing came out... oh well, got to live with that lump on my foot (fortunately it is not affecting my running). I got promoted at work, so now i only work saturday sunday monday, but for 12+ hours per day... the training is going to get harder and harder the longer that I push my days working. My swimming is not coming along at all. I haven't been in the pool for a while, but My biking and running are doing fantastic. I found out that the half ironman does not have a time limit to the swim portion, so even if I have to doggie paddle the last few hundred meters, I will get there and make up the time on biking and running.

How is everyone else doing?

2011-07-21 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3563113

User image

Veteran

Loper - awesome I can't wait to read your HIM report. Tough about the 12 hour days - but you can do it

My race report from last weekend. Oh, and I caught my daughter's chest cold! it's been 4 days but I'm already back to where I may jog a bit tomorrow. Yipes. I get sick a lot ;/  Anyway, race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=236989&posts=1&start=1
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24