General Discussion Race Reports! » Lincoln National Guard Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lincoln National Guard Half-Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lincoln, Nebraska
United States
Nebraska National Guard
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = 2813/7225
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 249/389
Pre-race routine:

The previous night I set out everything I needed for the run and the day after (as I was meeting some family in Lincoln). I went to bed at approx. 9:45pm. I set the alarm for 4:10 beings I was meeting my friend and his wife at 5:00am. I woke up @ 12:30am, 1am, 2am, and 3am panicking as I thought I had missed my alarm. When the alarm went off I was relieved that I did not oversleep. Next time, just set 2 alarms and dont worry about it. After getting ready, I ate 1 powerbar and a piece of peanut butter toast. Then set out. Lincoln was an hour away, so after picking everyone up, we drove to Lincoln. Fortunately, we found a parking garage that was very close to campus. 4 flights of stairs down and we started to Memorial Stadium.
Event warmup:

Once there, I have always been warned about the lines at the bathrooms... I wasn't warned enough. After waiting for what seemed forever, I decided to call it off, and head to a quick latrene, this would bite me in the bum later. We all met at the statue on the south side of the station and did some very light stretching, again a bad decision. We realized that the gun was about to go off, so we scurried up toward the front of the line, with about 1-2 thousand people still ahead of us. Then the gun went off.
Run
  • 2h 04m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

When looking back on the run, I know that I started out way too fast. This was my very first race of any sort and the environment was so invigorating that I felt invincible. My training partner and I started off faster than we had ever ran before continuously running about about 8:45-9 minute pacing. I felt great, he felt great so we kept pushing. I had to figure out the aid stations at mile 3, but that was a quick learn. It was so much fun grabbing water and gatorade at the stations, too bad that isn't available for my training runs. After mile 3 I decided I would try some jelly belly beans. I drank a good deal of water in anticipation, but eating those beans honestly sucked. They were too much chewing and too much sugar for me. I will go back to the gu. I felt great through mile 11. I got to see my wife and 9 month old at about mile 8, and my wife's cousins at mile 11 and that was awesome seeing them there. At about mile 11 my fingers started to go numb and by 11.5 my entire hands were numb. That feeling then went to my feet. These last miles were a fight. At 12.5 I tapped my running partner on the shoulder and told him to keep going and that I was goign to walk. I started to feel faint, the numbness was spreading, so I figured that would be the best course of action. We train a lot together and he was the one that got me into running in the first place. He very sternly told me that I better get running otherwise he would carry me across the finishline. Well he knew what I needed and I finished the race. We got to finish at the 50-yd line of Memorial Stadium and seeing that finish up on the Jumbotron, it solidified my intent of coming back next year.
Post race
Warm down:

After I finished the race, I was in a sugar low/delirious state. I went to the concourse for something to drink. They offered pop and gatorade. I slammed at least 6 glasses of liquid calories. After that I found my wife and we headed home, but not before we took a picture outside of the stadium.

Last updated: 2011-03-02 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:43 | 13.1 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 249/389
Overall: 2813/7225
Performance: Average
5k - 27:21 10k - 55:40 15k - 1:25:07
Course: mostly flat, but there was about a 1.5 mile uphill at about 11.5 that was not planned for!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-01 8:24 PM

Subject: Lincoln National Guard Half-Marathon

2011-05-13 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3476563

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Lincoln National Guard Half-Marathon
Great race report - I am sorry to hear about the numbness. It sounds like you have the most invaluable tool of all - a super race partner
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lincoln National Guard Half-Marathon Rss Feed