BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2011-04-16 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3450428

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL
evillarroel - 2011-04-16 5:41 PMI tried to start a new group (and put you all in there) but I guess they did not accept my mentor application. Have I done a good job replying and giving you ideas? Frown
In a word, Yes! This newbie definitely appreciates your time and effort.

2011-04-16 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3259938

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
I haven't been around that long, but think you do a great job!  Seems like maybe there is just a delay in getting the new mentor groups setup.  Guy from my previous group talked about starting a group for a while before it actually happened.  I'm claiming dual citizenship....need all the help I can get!  Don't ever think your willingness to share advice and experience are not valuable....they most certainly are!
2011-04-16 11:09 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

evillarroel - 2011-04-16 5:41 PM I tried to start a new group (and put you all in there) but I guess they did not accept my mentor application. Have I done a good job replying and giving you ideas? Frown

You have done a fantastic job.  So we do get to keep going in the archives, right?

2011-04-16 11:12 PM
in reply to: #3447255

User image

Expert
markz - 2011-04-14 3:23 PM
evillarroel

So, Mark, how do you feel two weeks out from the race?

Nervous, sleep issues, undertrained, the usual... I realise it doesn't take much to derail an event like this, but on the other hand - this is only a game we created and volunteered to play! So I keep telling myself.

Right now  I am  considering how to attach the bike to the car: roof rack vs hatch hanger (I have no towbar). I'm leaning towards the hatch.

On top of all this - we have moved to a new place this week and everything is a mess here, so much happening at the same time!!!

Have a great weekend Ernesto and Gang!!!

Just keep repeating this  "Everything's going to be all right,  everything's going to be all right,  everything's going to be all right . . . . "

2011-04-16 11:16 PM
in reply to: #3445403

User image

Expert

Carol,

CapTex is in Austin.  Maybe you can think about doing it too?

I understand the Alzheimer's routine.  I have a friend who has been diagnosed with early onset and he's only 61! 

2011-04-17 12:55 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

evillarroel - 2011-04-16 5:41 PMI tried to start a new group (and put you all in there) but I guess they did not accept my mentor application. Have I done a good job replying and giving you ideas? Frown

10 out of 10 from me. Who can understand the powers to be, maybe the reason is still different. I am happy here or in another group with you guys.

Edited by markz 2011-04-17 1:00 AM

2011-04-17 9:23 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

It is very important to manage fatigue and this week I proved this to myself more than ever... On Thursday I pulled out of a swim halfway through the set because I felt exhausted even though I coul have finished by running myself to the ground. It was a great decision, I took Friday off and came back fresh and ready on Saturday and today. I had incredibly nice workouts.

Fatigue rears it's oblong, neanderthal head in many ways, and we are not simply talking about training fatigue, which will stick out like a sore thumb if you keep a training log.  Fatigue is fatigue, whether it is from job stress, travel, staying up with a newborn, and it manifests itself in behavioral changes as well as lack of performance (when it matters).  The sooner you acknowledge fatigue and take appropriate measures (doing more training is NEVER the answer) the less negative impact you will incur.  Sometimes there can even be a benefit to performance, since you may have been in need of recovery for a while.  This is part of the "listen to your body" concept that is too often flung aside in favor of chasing more, more, more--but what you are really doing is building more fatigue and reducing your fitness.  Think in terms of "less is more" and build your training accordingly. 

2011-04-17 10:03 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Swim Stroke Stupid Question Time

OK, I was a little confused during my swim tonight.  When you say breathe every two strokes, is that left arm, right arm, left arm, right arm, breathe, or left arm, right arm, breathe?

Remember I am NEW and so for a whole YEAR I get to ask as many questions as I can!

2011-04-17 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3451633

User image

Expert
evillarroel - 2011-04-17 9:23 PM

It is very important to manage fatigue and this week I proved this to myself more than ever... On Thursday I pulled out of a swim halfway through the set because I felt exhausted even though I coul have finished by running myself to the ground. It was a great decision, I took Friday off and came back fresh and ready on Saturday and today. I had incredibly nice workouts.

Fatigue rears it's oblong, neanderthal head in many ways, and we are not simply talking about training fatigue, which will stick out like a sore thumb if you keep a training log.  Fatigue is fatigue, whether it is from job stress, travel, staying up with a newborn, and it manifests itself in behavioral changes as well as lack of performance (when it matters).  The sooner you acknowledge fatigue and take appropriate measures (doing more training is NEVER the answer) the less negative impact you will incur.  Sometimes there can even be a benefit to performance, since you may have been in need of recovery for a while.  This is part of the "listen to your body" concept that is too often flung aside in favor of chasing more, more, more--but what you are really doing is building more fatigue and reducing your fitness.  Think in terms of "less is more" and build your training accordingly. 

Timely post!  I have been exhausted, so I have cut back on my training and been trying not to feel guilty.  Last night I ended up with 10 hours of sleep vs my norm of 6-7.  I felt much better this afternoon and evening.  So, I will ramp up my nutrition and sleep hours and see what happens next.

2011-04-17 11:12 PM

El Paso
Hi Ernesto and gang!!I'm happy to report that I have lost 15 lbs, my goal this year is 20 - 25 lbs, it seems harder and harder by time..Some questions!1. Ernesto, can you give me a day's sample of a good nutrition, but with food names not just calorie numbers? 2. Can you explain to me what are training bloks?3. How often should I change running shoes, or how do I know that I need new running shoes?4. My feet hurt, more specific, the skin in my feet hurts, how can I take care of it, is there some kind of feet skin lotion?Thank you
2011-04-18 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3451683

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Swim Stroke Stupid Question Time
jdiis - 2011-04-17 10:03 PM

OK, I was a little confused during my swim tonight.  When you say breathe every two strokes, is that left arm, right arm, left arm, right arm, breathe, or left arm, right arm, breathe?

Remember I am NEW and so for a whole YEAR I get to ask as many questions as I can!

If you're a right hand side breather, do it every time your left enters the water. I didn't mean two cycles, I meant two strokes.

2011-04-18 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Earplugs or Not
Anyone wear earplugs in OWS?  Pros/cons?  What kind?
2011-04-18 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3451741

User image

Master
Dallas

alfredo1414 - 2011-04-17 11:12 PM Hi Ernesto and gang!!I'm happy to report that I have lost 15 lbs, my goal this year is 20 - 25 lbs, it seems harder and harder by time..Some questions!1. Ernesto, can you give me a day's sample of a good nutrition, but with food names not just calorie numbers? 2. Can you explain to me what are training bloks?3. How often should I change running shoes, or how do I know that I need new running shoes?4. My feet hurt, more specific, the skin in my feet hurts, how can I take care of it, is there some kind of feet skin lotion?Thank you

Alfredo,

Food is such a big subject! I’m glad you asked the question. It is best to dramatically reduce or eliminate “bad carbs” from your diet. These include: potatoes, white rice, white pasta and white bread. Good carbs: Vegetables, particularly broccoli and spinach, sweet potatoes, and many others. You could use a moderate amount of whole grains in your diet, but try to stay away from wheat.

Proteins: Eat fish, mostly salmon, lean chicken without the skin, lean beef (try to stay with grass fed cows) and whey protein in the form of recovery drinks such as Recoverite or Endurox R4. Eggs are the best thing to ever happen to anybody, and I mean the whole thing (not just the whites).

Dietary fats: About 40% of your calories should come from “good” fats. These are nuts (all except peanuts), avocado, olive oil, fish oil.

Some misconceptions: people thinks that calories in/calories out resolves weight issues. The equation is much more complex, athletes need a vast amount of calories to fuel their demands. What will make the difference is what type of calories and how you eat during the day, but most importantly, the glycemic index of all the foods you consume.

Try to keep your sugar levels stable all throughout the day, consuming refined sugars ONLY during your workouts and never before or after.

My typical day:

-         Breakfast: Omelette with cheese and olive oil.

-         Snacks: almonds

-         Lunch: salad w/ chicken, no bread. Italian dressing.

-         Snack: whole grain crackers

-         Dinner: Chicken or fish, baked. Lots of baked vegetables (eggplant, bell peppers, asparagus, etc.).

-         Dessert: Ricotta cheese w/ almonds.

About the shoes, go get a fit in a running store.

2011-04-18 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3452216

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Earplugs or Not

jdiis - 2011-04-18 9:17 AM Anyone wear earplugs in OWS?  Pros/cons?  What kind?

Yes, to keep the infections out of my ear canals. Expandable foam plugs are great.

2011-04-18 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3452580

El Paso
evillarroel - 2011-04-18 11:24 AM

alfredo1414 - 2011-04-17 11:12 PM Hi Ernesto and gang!!I'm happy to report that I have lost 15 lbs, my goal this year is 20 - 25 lbs, it seems harder and harder by time..Some questions!1. Ernesto, can you give me a day's sample of a good nutrition, but with food names not just calorie numbers? 2. Can you explain to me what are training bloks?3. How often should I change running shoes, or how do I know that I need new running shoes?4. My feet hurt, more specific, the skin in my feet hurts, how can I take care of it, is there some kind of feet skin lotion?Thank you

Alfredo,

Food is such a big subject! I’m glad you asked the question. It is best to dramatically reduce or eliminate “bad carbs” from your diet. These include: potatoes, white rice, white pasta and white bread. Good carbs: Vegetables, particularly broccoli and spinach, sweet potatoes, and many others. You could use a moderate amount of whole grains in your diet, but try to stay away from wheat.

Proteins: Eat fish, mostly salmon, lean chicken without the skin, lean beef (try to stay with grass fed cows) and whey protein in the form of recovery drinks such as Recoverite or Endurox R4. Eggs are the best thing to ever happen to anybody, and I mean the whole thing (not just the whites).

Dietary fats: About 40% of your calories should come from “good” fats. These are nuts (all except peanuts), avocado, olive oil, fish oil.

Some misconceptions: people thinks that calories in/calories out resolves weight issues. The equation is much more complex, athletes need a vast amount of calories to fuel their demands. What will make the difference is what type of calories and how you eat during the day, but most importantly, the glycemic index of all the foods you consume.

Try to keep your sugar levels stable all throughout the day, consuming refined sugars ONLY during your workouts and never before or after.

My typical day:

-         Dinner: Chicken or fish, baked. Lots of baked vegetables (eggplant, bell peppers, asparagus, etc.).

thanks Ernesto, This is very helpfull,..  I read on a magazine an article about muscle recovery that after every workout we should eat lots of sugars, .  so I guess that its diferent for TT   

2011-04-18 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Ernrsto, any good reason why wheat (and therefore bread and pasta) is such a bad thing? I think I would starve if I quit those.

2011-04-18 5:05 PM
in reply to: #3453248

User image

Master
Dallas

markz - 2011-04-18 3:24 PM Ernrsto, any good reason why wheat (and therefore bread and pasta) is such a bad thing? I think I would starve if I quit those.

Yes, its consumption promotes chronic inflammation that drastically reduces your aerobic endurance, delays recovery time and most important, inhibits your cells from coming back stronger after recovery.

Also, refined carbohydrates spike insulin levels promoting fat storage (I know this is not your problem).

There’s many alternatives, please, I insist, get Maffetonne’s book and try the famous “two week test”.

You will be perplex with the results.

2011-04-19 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3452580

El Paso
evillarroel - 2011-04-18 11:24 AM

Alfredo,

My typical day:

About the refined sugars, check out this article from livestrong.com:

Refined sugars include sweet substances that have been processed and milled to the point that the sugar particles are extremely fine. When refined sugars are eaten, the sugars are able to quickly enter the blood stream. This can spike the blood sugar, causing the body to feel instantly energized. Unfortunately, the energy received from refined sugars is short-lived, and will cause a sudden energy drop shortly afterward. When the energy level drops so suddenly, it causes the body to crave more sugars in order to compensate for the energy loss. This cycle leads to the consumption of excess calories, which can lead to weight gain and obesity. Refined sugars include white sugar, corn syrup, refined honey and refined maple syrup. Instead of using refined sugars, chose whole-food sweeteners, such as raw honey or black strap molasses.

I imagine that for TT athletes is diferent..  but now Im confuse as to what kind of refined sugars should I eat. So my questions are,

What kind of refined sugars should I take during my workout?

Are they only for long workouts?..

How often should I take them during my workout?

2011-04-19 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Ernesto, I am familiar with Dr. Maffetone's 2 week test, but being vegetarian this would leave me starving. I will definately adjust my diet after the IM, not because I have any health or weight  issues now, but I accept that genetically modified grains are not good for you. I didn't realise wheat was so heavily modified. This will be hard, because I don't like the taste of rye products so much and I can't see how I can live without my daily bread...

2011-04-19 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3451741

User image

Expert

Ernesto has converted me to a Maffetone girl.  I came across this article about feet today and thought it might be helpful to you.

http://philmaffetone.com/happygait.cfm

2011-04-19 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3455192

User image

Expert
markz - 2011-04-19 2:53 PM

Ernesto, I am familiar with Dr. Maffetone's 2 week test, but being vegetarian this would leave me starving. I will definately adjust my diet after the IM, not because I have any health or weight  issues now, but I accept that genetically modified grains are not good for you. I didn't realise wheat was so heavily modified. This will be hard, because I don't like the taste of rye products so much and I can't see how I can live without my daily bread...

Mark,

I hear you.  I was a big bread, pasta and rice freak.  In the last few months I have replaced about 80% of those with extra veggies, salad, cottage cheese, etc.  I have also reduced my sugar intake.  Fortunately, I like eggs (the perfect food), so it's not a problem to eat lots of those in every style imaginable.

Now when I'm at some function where I feel I should partake of a little of what the host is offering, I really notice the effect it has on my body.  I have to say I don't like the way I feel and am trying harder to not allow that disruption.

2011-04-19 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3455192

User image

Master
Dallas

I did not know you were a vegetarian, are you vegan or still eating eggs and cheese? Also, you don't have to starve if you quit on wheat products. Carbs can come from many good sources. Scott Jurek (multiple winner of the Western States ultramarathon) is a 100% vegan. He consumes about 5K calories a day and barely touches grains.

You should probably look at more beans, sweet potatoes and plantains for carbs and maybe increase dramatically your intake of dietary fats. I cannot think of anyone more fit to try out Maffetonne's method than yourself, you are the perfect candidate. About the addiction to bread, that's exactly what he talks about he dedicates a whole chapter to the carbohydrate addiction that's killing western civilization, good news is that the addiction is perfectly breakable.

What does your daily diet consist of?

2011-04-19 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Alfredo,

During workouts you can and should consume "bad" carbs because they're fast absorption, therefore a quick energy replacement. Of course we're trying to teach our bodies to endure based on fat glycolisis, but there's always a vast amount of carbs that go out the window while you're training and racing.Your insulin is inhibited during workouts therefore it is safe to eat carbs then.

These would include gels (not all) and drinks such as Gatorade or Ironman Perform (which I prefer).

2011-04-19 10:20 PM
in reply to: #3455242

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
evillarroel - 2011-04-19 3:19 PM

I did not know you were a vegetarian, are you vegan or still eating eggs and cheese? Also, you don't have to starve if you quit on wheat products. Carbs can come from many good sources. Scott Jurek (multiple winner of the Western States ultramarathon) is a 100% vegan. He consumes about 5K calories a day and barely touches grains.

You should probably look at more beans, sweet potatoes and plantains for carbs and maybe increase dramatically your intake of dietary fats. I cannot think of anyone more fit to try out Maffetonne's method than yourself, you are the perfect candidate. About the addiction to bread, that's exactly what he talks about he dedicates a whole chapter to the carbohydrate addiction that's killing western civilization, good news is that the addiction is perfectly breakable.

What does your daily diet consist of?

Oh, dear, now I am really motivated. I am not a vegan, just don't eat meat in any shape or form, love milk and cheese, but not the eggs... I know of Scott Jurek, been a fan of Western States 100 and other ultra races, so I know meat is not necessary for top performance. But also - I am not a pro or elite athlete by any stretch of imagination and generally feel fine with my diet. I was also born and raised in Europe - have you seen a European who doesn't like bread??? And I'm not talking about the white high top 'bread' they sell in US of A... This will be a challenge.

Btw, did you know that the last Napa Valley Marathon was won by a guy who subsists on bananas almost exclusively? I follow Dean Karnazes blog and he was amazed by it as well.

Jackie, thank you for your input as well. I will give it a go.

Edited by markz 2011-04-19 10:25 PM
2011-04-20 3:11 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Wow, I thought I was doing pretty well, but you are inspiring me to clean up my diet a bit more.  I'm down 13.5 lbs since mid December, so happy with that, but it will take more tweaking now.  Maffetone book is on the way from Amazon.  Thanks so much for the tips and encouragment!  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 25