BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2011-03-30 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3260273

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers)

Thought y'all might enjoy this read:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2135

Stu

2011-03-30 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3419033

User image

Expert
SportzVision - 2011-03-28 10:43 PM

Started tracking my nutrition on BT and ummm well I get too many calories from fat; not really a surprise.  Not changing my eating habits today but happy just tracking.  I guess I did change my habits a little; because I knew I would have to log my meals it did keep me from mindlessly eating trail mix all day! So this is a goal for April, continue tracking my meals and for this week only, keep each day under 1900 calories.  The training this week is going to be light before I start with the amped up training next week.  I will worry about the fat on another day...slow but sure on this one.  Small changes starting with being aware of what I eat then make adjustments. Slow but sure on this one!

Sounds like a good idea.  Let us know if tracking your intake helps you with your goals.

2011-03-30 4:12 PM

User image

Expert

April 9th is my first 5k since Thanksgiving. I went to run the course today, and I learned a few things.  

First, and most importantly, I am a creature of habit when it comes to running routes. I had to sit in my car and talk myself into going for the run, and I felt anxious about not knowing the course.

Second, I do not enjoy running in urban settings. I definitely do not like running in economically depressed urban settings. So, from now on, I'll stick to races that are in environments that I find enjoyable to run in.

So, I'm curious: What is your favorite environment for running? And is there anywhere that you won't run?

2011-03-31 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran

So far I have two running route.  One is on a narrow back road that is lined by houses.  There is some traffic, but not too much.  The other route is also on back roads, but this one is more remote.  There are fewer houses.  In fact, it was so quiet last week that I made a point to clear my throat several times to let bears know that I was there.  I don't want to come upon a mama and her cub. 

I'm not sure what to do about dogs.  The first route is OK, since I don't really think that there are any loose.  The second route, I am not sure of.  There was a barky, somewhat menacing dog near one of my turnarounds.  It seemed to have an invisible fence, but I'm not sure.  I'll turn around a few yards earlier next time.

I guess I feel most comfortable running in a neighborhood in a rural or suburban setting.  My last race went through our capital city.  Much of it was through an economically depressed area that I would otherwise not go through even in my car.  The race was fine since there were many runners and police were at each intersection to keep cars from blowing by the cones.

I'm going to try the track this weekend.  Mostly since I want my son to run with me a bit before our 5K on 4/9.  I figure that on the track I can do what I need to do and he can run or not and it won't really effect me.

Edited by rustymom 2011-03-31 8:51 AM
2011-03-31 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran

I just got in my 2nd swim for March.  I could tell, too.  Felt a bit like a whale or a slug. 

I need to work out a schedule to include cycling and swimming.  I've been good with scheduling my runs, but not swimming.  I haven't biked yet.  It's been pretty cold, but I think I should be able to do some lunch rides soon.

Anyone for April goals?  Mine are to get below 195 (same as March goal, but I'm making progress), swim 6X/month, run 3-4X/week, cycle 2X/week, exercise class 2X/week. 

I'll have a 5 day block with no workouts, but I'll be walking Disney World, so I'm sure I'll get plenty of exercise.

2011-04-01 2:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

I like running near my home.  I get a good mixture of roads and countryside, which keeps me motivated.  i don't like just running in houses all the time, but it's nice to know there are people nearby if anything goes horribly wrong...

I appear to be a creature of habit too because the one time I decided to try a different route for my long run it was an awful run.  So instead I've been sticking to the same route and gradually extending it in different places.  That also helps with motivation because I listen to the same music every time too, and I remember where I was up to for different tracks, which gives me a feel for how I'm doing.  I take the Garmin, but I try not to look at the pace as I'm going along because I prefer to run by feel to make sure I'm not tempted to push myself too hard on the long runs.

April goals:

Continue swimming/cycling twice and running 3x per week.

Stretching, but also make sure I'm doing my swiss ball exercises every day.  I really need the core strength.

Cycle to/from work once during each shift pattern (with the possible exception of night shift, depending on how I'm feeling).

First race is just over 3 weeks away!

2011-04-01 4:39 PM

User image

Expert

April Goals:

1. Swim 4x's this month.

2. Run my 5k on 4/9 in under 34 minutes.

3. Continue to run3x's per week

Anyone else have their goals for the month?

And, how did you do in March?

2011-04-02 8:34 AM

User image

Expert

Hi Everyone!

Glad to see those April goals hitting the boards :-)  Lots of races coming up this month for our group too.  I'll be really excited to see how the training pays off for everyone.  We've had some great results for the group thus far.

Let's see... my March recap.   I only reached one of my five goals which was doing a PB in the 10 mile race.  I can't quite seem to put together 3+ solid weeks in a row of training due to life, etc.  That's okay, I have been able to get in 2 really good weeks each month and that is acceptable given a necessary balance with other activities and responsibilities.  What doesn't seem to be okay right now is my back, which has kept me pretty much out of commission since Tuesday.  It's been tender for a few weeks now and Tuesday it finally went out again.  This has been an on-going battle for me since my 20s... just have to rest and let it heal up again.  I had really hoped the back exercises I've been doing the past year would help... and maybe they have, but I didn't treat my back very well in March and I'm paying for it now. 

April Goals.  I think I'll keep them the same as March - 100 miles of running / 33 hours of training / good nutrition and weight goal 194.  Next week I have an intensive seminar, so I'll probably start the month out a bit behind.  Hopefully won't get discouraged about it.

All the best,

Stu

2011-04-02 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3426384

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Ugh back issues no bueno!  My goals for this month are

1. Go to yoga class...found one at nights in town. It starts at 7:30PM so there is time to run before class.
  2. Keep up with the new plan.  To get the swims in I may just need to swim twice on Sundays or Saturdays; a morning swim then run or ride then an afternoon swim...pool is only open from 10-6.  I will need to run during lunch to get the miles in too.
  3. Keep logging my meals.  It does keep me from eating more junk; I always think, "dang if I eat that I am going to have to add it to my log"  Once I enter Thursday's log you'll see I just didn't care.
  4. Keep my calories under 1900
  5. Then of course there's that darn Pre Cal class. 
2011-04-02 11:21 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

The details of the first three weeks of my new training program in my planned calendar look pretty...pretty daunting! I am a bit apprehensive about starting it tomorrow but at the same time I am looking forward to taking a step to the next level.  Including the yoga class it will be a tough schedule. Also, some of the times listed are a lot shorter than what I can actually do the swim and run in but I figured I'd leave them in just as a guide and hopeful goal. 

All the details to the fourth week  are not entered completely nor are the rest of the twelve weeks.  I am looking at what I have each week and each day.  If its manageable then I will add the details if not I will make adjustments or stick with the downloaded plan.  This entire plan is a giant step to the next level for me, such as the long runs.  I have never ran more than 5 miles!  But then again when I started training for my first triathlon I had never done any type of training so I know its doable.  Yup, just need to keep reminding myself; it is doable!

Edited by SportzVision 2011-04-02 11:24 PM
2011-04-03 5:19 PM

User image

Veteran

I got in a stop and go run today.  It was a practice run for my son.  He'll be 6 on Tuesday and he's running a 5K with me on Saturday.  He did pretty well.  He managed a medium speed and stayed at my pace mostly, except for when he stopped to walk a few steps and then sped up to catch back up.  We ran an out and back route, picked up his bike and I ran while he biked a longer out and back route.  I just went with it, there wasn't much of a choice.  I just ran along and let him do his thing.  I expect much of the same on Sat.

He's excited to get his own race number.  We'll walk when he needs to and try to enjoy the (hopefully) fresh warmish spring air.  He wanted to run my first race last year with me.  UMMM, No!  There was no way I could have handled that then.  I'm not planning an improvement in my time for this race, LOL!

2011-04-04 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Where did March go?

April- um, survive my first and quite possibly LAST Half Marathon. It's April 17th. It's the first of my big 3 for Spring Races- Glass City Half Mary, then Flying Pig Marathon 4 person Relay (my leg is about 8 something miles), then the big adventure race with my husband in May.

Back when I was very out of shape, we used to watch EcoChallenge and I would say, "That's so cool, I want to do that someday" and then I would look at myself and think, no way. No how. Last night the husband came to my masters swim group (The slow group) and then we went out for dinner ( no kids, paid a FORTUNE to the babysitter). I told him how excited I am for our adventure race because that was part of why I started doing triathlons- so I could work my way up to the adventure races. Here's hoping we survive and he is not too competitive. He made me ditch my long run this weekend- not only was it our oldest daughter's birthday, so I spent most of the week cleaning and prepping food for her party, but I also had a return of my sinus junk and was sick enough to go to the doctor, who basically said get a good night of sleep for a few days in a row to help your immune system. Easier said than done with a teething baby. Mike (The husband) said no long run for you, rest and get better, you are ready for your half anyway. Here's hoping he is right!

April goals- I have to ramp up my bike because right now I need a lot more mileage for getting ready for the 36 miles in the adventure race.

How did I do on March goals? Well, got most of my long runs in, so that is good. Otherwise I think I had one great week of training.
2011-04-04 4:11 PM

User image

Yeah, April is here! Warmer weather and the end of the semester is in sight.

I can only think of sad news to report so I'll work on my goals tomorrow. Yesterday a father and son were out on a bike ride at 9:30 am and were struck and killed by a drunk driver. Absolutely horrific. Father died at the scene and the son was in a coma and died today.

The Wilmington community is horrified and the rants on blogs is incessant. Somehow I doubt anything will change, but please, be safe out there.

I have always trusted that nothing would happen to me while out riding or running and now I'm not so sure. I do know that I have seen lots of riders listening to ipods lately. Please don't do this and pay very close attention to what you are doing. It would not have helped these two people, but accidents happen all the time and we need to try and be safe.

Got to run, be safe out there everyone....

Joanne

2011-04-04 11:31 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Just so sad to hear about such a sensless accident. 
2011-04-04 11:35 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Exam three down...only a final left in three weeks...practice, practice, practice. I ran out of daylight today so the bike ride was not completed.  But still, all  in all a good training day.  Oh and tomorrow is yoga!

2011-04-05 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3429976

User image

SportzVision - 2011-04-04 11:35 PM

Exam three down...only a final left in three weeks...practice, practice, practice. I ran out of daylight today so the bike ride was not completed.  But still, all  in all a good training day.  Oh and tomorrow is yoga!

I feel the same way! Only 4 weeks left in the semester. Tons of grading and stressed out students. Hang in there and be confident!

2011-04-06 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3430696

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Will do...thanks for the encouraging reminder!
2011-04-06 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
So yoga class was canceled last night due to lack of interest; guess I was the only interested in doing yoga at 7:30 pm.  Well, I can make the pilates class at 6:30, pilates is not yoga but it will help with the core strength that is lacking in my core. 
2011-04-06 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
What a horrible awful tragedy.

We both- husband and I- have been run off the road on our bikes. Mine was my first year training, woman on a cell phone. I ended up in a ditch- a guy on his riding mower came to my rescue. The woman stopped, got out of her car- still on her phone- saw that I was not dead or unconcious, got in her car and drove off- still on her phone.

I get scared all the time running and seeing the cars swerving all over because people are texting. What a big yet awful reminder to us all to be extra careful.

I had a GREAT run tonight, first run in awhile thanks to being sick, and I ran my 3 miles at my fastest pace since Feb 2009 when I get pregnant with Jo (our last baby). Getting excited for the race!!!!

2011-04-07 7:05 AM
in reply to: #3433359

User image

AKR18 - 2011-04-06 7:51 PM What a horrible awful tragedy. We both- husband and I- have been run off the road on our bikes. Mine was my first year training, woman on a cell phone. I ended up in a ditch- a guy on his riding mower came to my rescue. The woman stopped, got out of her car- still on her phone- saw that I was not dead or unconcious, got in her car and drove off- still on her phone. I get scared all the time running and seeing the cars swerving all over because people are texting. What a big yet awful reminder to us all to be extra careful. I had a GREAT run tonight, first run in awhile thanks to being sick, and I ran my 3 miles at my fastest pace since Feb 2009 when I get pregnant with Jo (our last baby). Getting excited for the race!!!!

It is much more dangerous out on the roads these days and cell phones are a big problem. I remember running in college in the early 80s and I would never feel unsafe and in fact I ran at night all the time! Now I would never go for a run after dark.

Glad you had a great run. I did a fun 5 mi run after work and it felt great even with a long 13 hour day. Just being outside when the weather is getting nicer is so much fun.

I realize most of you are not tennis people, but I play about 6 or 7 times a week and it's difficult to fit in all the tri sports. Anyway, this weekend we are having a clinic for kids of all levels and we are pairing them up with pros to get them jazzed about the sport. Even Todd Martin and John McEnroe are coming to spend a couple of hours with the kids! If I manage to get a picture I'll post it!

Hope you all have a terrific day.

Joanne

2011-04-07 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3433359

User image

Expert

The sad news about the bikers is an important reminder to be extra careful out there.  Plan your routes and timing accordingly based on traffic patterns, road width, roaming dogs (my biggest issue), etc.  At least where we live there are a number of (vocal) people who think bikers should not be on the roads, that we are the safety issue instead of part of the energy solution.  In any case, we are the vulnerable ones on the road, so do what you can to lower the risk, especially if you are riding alone.  When possible, I do think group rides are generally safer (and potentially more fun / better workout). 

I continue to nurse my back which has kept me sidelined for the last week +.  Trying to be positive with swimming more often, but as each day passes and I lose a little more of the running / biking base, I have to admit to getting a bit discouraged after a generally excellent Winter training period.  This (and the Fall) are my favorite times of the year to run and bike.  Ack.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Stu

2011-04-08 7:50 PM

User image

Expert

That is very sad news about the cyclists.

On a different note- it looks like the winter mentoring groups are officially over.

Stu- thanks for co-mentoring with me.  As always, you're positive attitude has helped me keep moving forward.

To every one else, thank you for sharing the last few months with me. It's been great to get to know you, and please let us know how you do in your next races!

I have my first 5k of the year, tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm expecting a "post injury PR"!

-Heidi

2011-04-08 10:22 PM
in reply to: #3437002

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
slow turtle - 2011-04-09 1:50 AM

That is very sad news about the cyclists.

On a different note- it looks like the winter mentoring groups are officially over.

Stu- thanks for co-mentoring with me.  As always, you're positive attitude has helped me keep moving forward.

To every one else, thank you for sharing the last few months with me. It's been great to get to know you, and please let us know how you do in your next races!

I have my first 5k of the year, tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm expecting a "post injury PR"!

-Heidi

Does that mean we can't post in the group any more?  I've really enjoyed being part of this group.  You've all really helped to motivate me to stick to my training plan, set monthly goals and largely stick to them, and to generally feel like I'm not alone in my attempt to do this rather insane thing.  I'm quite sad at the idea of the end of our group...

Good luck with the 5k.  I really hope it goes well.

2011-04-09 8:02 AM

User image

Expert

You each have a few options:

We can continue to post in the group for as long as we like.

If Stu is up for it, we can open the group up to some new members, and keep it going through the spring mentor program.

You can each choose to move to new groups.

It's up to you.

-Heidi

2011-04-09 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3437342

User image

slow turtle - 2011-04-09 8:02 AM

You each have a few options:

We can continue to post in the group for as long as we like.

If Stu is up for it, we can open the group up to some new members, and keep it going through the spring mentor program.

You can each choose to move to new groups.

It's up to you.

-Heidi

I have learned so much from this group and would like to continue. I feel like I've just gotten to know everyone, it's been a lot of fun, and has helped me learn so much about tri's and training. Plus, we are all starting to do some races (good luck this morning Heidi in your 5k!) so I would like to hear what people have learned.

Joanne

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers) Rss Feed  

of 26