BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-02-10 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3348471

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED
The stationary bikes at the gym have power readings.  I wonder how accurate those are.  Maybe I'll give one a try one of these days just to see how 230w feels like and the various other levels.  I'm thinking the recumbent style stationaries would replicate the aero position better based on the angle of the torso & legs?

I wouldn't trust them to translate directly to a potential future PT wheel. It's really hard to say. Hard to say on the positioning as well. Just my 'knee jerk' reaction, which would be that it's better than nothing but probably not perfect.

Sorry. Just hard to tell w/o calibration with a PT and a picture of you on the bike.

Jamie

2011-02-10 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3348510

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
RVachon - 2011-02-10 10:17 AM

I have another dilemma I'm trying to work through..but not workout related..lol.

Both my current pool & gym memberships expire this week.  Both facilities are 5 mins from my house.  The gym has older equipment, and is small (small town of 18k population), and the pool is a City run facility that's also falling apart, but it's not super busy (mostly older people).  Both currently cost me about $75/mth.

Now, the YMCA is in the next City (about 10 miles away), 6-7 yr old facility, indoor track, different classes, pool, longer hours (gym opens at 5:30, pool at 6:00), and that would cost me about $64/mth so I'm saving about $10/mth, but I have to drive 15-20 mins in my already busy schedule. 

Right now when I go to the pool (that opens at 6:30 AM), I go for my swim, then go home, shower then commute to work for an hour.  The YMCA pool opens at 6 AM, and is on my way to work so I'd probably bring my work clothes with me;swim, shower there and head to work.

Decision, decisions. Undecided 

Tough call. For me, it's always about ease and time when it comes to this stuff. If I were choosing mainly for the pool, I would pick the colder one! I have a nice pool really close to me but they keep the thing at 81 which is like a sauna. I drive downtown and swim @ a pool that keeps it nice and cold (78-79) and then drive to work. Both pools are on the way to work. I don't really do anything else at the gym but swim.

jamie
2011-02-10 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3348952

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
dhopman - 2011-02-10 1:37 PM

AOTD: My swim plan does call for some distance days. The other day I did 3k meters straight. Doing 3,862 meters (2.4 miles) in the pool seems like overkill but I'm sure I'll get there. I'm not worried about the distance - plenty of my swims are over 4k meters.

I don't have great access to any OWS areas...probably because I'm lazy. Before my HIM I only did one OWS. I've always handled that transition from the pool to open water pretty easily, whereas some people get really nervous about it. I'll try to get in a couple big OWS before Texas for sure but it won't be a normal thing.

I typically like to do continuous swims (in open water if possible) of race distance several times and race distance plus about 1K yards at least once.

When I first started I did all swims every week as long continuous swim. That worked well for me for about 3 seasons and then I got bored out of my mind. Now I swim 2X with the masters team. I usually go 1 day that is distance sets for a total of about 4K and then a day when they do shorter sets (200 or less) for about 3.5-4K. During the season I will add one OWS on the weekend that is somewhere around 4k. I find that routine keeps me ready to race and isn't so mind numbing.

As long as everybody does an OWS before a race I'm good with that. I know lots of really good pool swimmers that really freak out for their first couple times in OW.

Jamie
2011-02-10 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3349246

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
jamiej - 2011-02-10 4:02 PM
RVachon - 2011-02-10 10:17 AM I have another dilemma I'm trying to work through..but not workout related..lol.

Both my current pool & gym memberships expire this week.  Both facilities are 5 mins from my house.  The gym has older equipment, and is small (small town of 18k population), and the pool is a City run facility that's also falling apart, but it's not super busy (mostly older people).  Both currently cost me about $75/mth.

Now, the YMCA is in the next City (about 10 miles away), 6-7 yr old facility, indoor track, different classes, pool, longer hours (gym opens at 5:30, pool at 6:00), and that would cost me about $64/mth so I'm saving about $10/mth, but I have to drive 15-20 mins in my already busy schedule. 

Right now when I go to the pool (that opens at 6:30 AM), I go for my swim, then go home, shower then commute to work for an hour.  The YMCA pool opens at 6 AM, and is on my way to work so I'd probably bring my work clothes with me;swim, shower there and head to work.

Decision, decisions. Undecided 
Tough call. For me, it's always about ease and time when it comes to this stuff. If I were choosing mainly for the pool, I would pick the colder one! I have a nice pool really close to me but they keep the thing at 81 which is like a sauna. I drive downtown and swim @ a pool that keeps it nice and cold (78-79) and then drive to work. Both pools are on the way to work. I don't really do anything else at the gym but swim. jamie

You think 81 is a sauna?  My current pool is usually around 84-86(this morning it was 86), again, because it's mostly old people that go there.  I know the pool at the Y is cooler as I've been in it a couple times in the past...probably around 78-80. 

2011-02-10 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3271048

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
I got in a continuous quick 2K in the pool this morning and then did speedwork over lunch.
2 mile WU
3 miles @ 6:15
3' rest
1 mile @ 6:15
2' rest
1 mile @6:15
puke
back to work

Jamie
2011-02-10 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
double post

Edited by RVachon 2011-02-10 3:15 PM

2011-02-10 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
AQOTD:  Since I'm just starting out, I can't swim continuously that long...longest so far was 325 yds and I almost died.  But I plan on doing a long continuous at least once a week starting in March to build endurance.

As was a OWS, I have one of the best places only 10 mins from my house.  It's on old shipping canal that's now a recreational waterway.  They actually have a tri there in June (that's my sprint I'm doing) .  It's about 120m wide at the end shown below.  I plan on doing most of my swimming there instead of the pool starting in May.

2011-02-10 4:19 PM

Winnipeg
so far as the qotd on continuious swims I try to do at least one continuius swim of 1:15 a week. That is around 4500 meters for me and it just feels good to know I am really comfortable with that distance. I have a cottage on a lake so open water swims once or twice a week are part of my routine  ( when the ice comes off hopefully in May)

I have a friend I trained with last year who is a solid pool swimmer but just paniced in the mass start scenerio and DNF. All summer long she didn't do the open water work outs and on the big day just couldn't keep it together.

confidence is really important to have a good swim
2011-02-10 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3349381

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Radar987 - 2011-02-10 5:19 PM

so far as the qotd on continuious swims I try to do at least one continuius swim of 1:15 a week. That is around 4500 meters for me and it just feels good to know I am really comfortable with that distance. I have a cottage on a lake so open water swims once or twice a week are part of my routine  ( when the ice comes off hopefully in May)

I have a friend I trained with last year who is a solid pool swimmer but just paniced in the mass start scenerio and DNF. All summer long she didn't do the open water work outs and on the big day just couldn't keep it together.

confidence is really important to have a good swim

excellent. I have the same setup w/in-laws and lake cottage.

Also, for everybody, make sure you practice with your wetsuit b/4 your race if there is a chance you will race in it. That first swim with a wetsuit can really freak people out. This is mainly due to how constricting they can feel at first.

Jamie
2011-02-10 5:59 PM

User image

New user
I would still be on the treadmill waiting to hit 0.75 mi with those times....I am headed off to the gym for a run swim session then I am going to fit up my new Cobb seat!

AOTD:  I generally swim 3/4 mi to 1.5 mi non stop when I train.  most of the time it is 1.25 miles unless I get bored...
2011-02-10 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Speaking of wetsuits...Here's a question.  I haven't bought one yet. Last year when I needed one I just rented it.  The swim in it was a little scary for the reason Jamie said.

This year I'm definitly buying one, but I'm not sure when.  Now would be a great time to get a good deal, but I'm still losing weight. Right now I weigh 195 at the most, sometimes as low as 191. It seems like if I lose another 15 pounds which is possible I suppose (Gawd that's light for me) then the size L I just bought would be too big.

Do I just accept the fact that I probably need to buy one in the early summer when hopefully most of my weightloss will have already occurred? I really have no idea how much more I'll lose. I'm hoping for at least 10 pounds though.  Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

2011-02-10 6:25 PM
in reply to: #3349506

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
syscrash - 2011-02-10 7:14 PM

Speaking of wetsuits...Here's a question.  I haven't bought one yet. Last year when I needed one I just rented it.  The swim in it was a little scary for the reason Jamie said.

This year I'm definitly buying one, but I'm not sure when.  Now would be a great time to get a good deal, but I'm still losing weight. Right now I weigh 195 at the most, sometimes as low as 191. It seems like if I lose another 15 pounds which is possible I suppose (Gawd that's light for me) then the size L I just bought would be too big.

Do I just accept the fact that I probably need to buy one in the early summer when hopefully most of my weightloss will have already occurred? I really have no idea how much more I'll lose. I'm hoping for at least 10 pounds though.  Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

hmmmm. My one opinion about wetsuits is to buy one that fits. Unfortunately that is tricky business if you think you will lose that much weight. Everything that I will say now assumes that you, at the time you buy a wetsuit, will be pretty close to the weight that you will maintain throughout the season. A pound or 3 here or there is no biggie but 10 15 lbs could really change how the thing fits.

Anywho, regarding wetsuits.

1. I would buy a middle of the road suit that will conform with the impending changes to USAT wetsuit thickness. Having said that, you, or some industrious member of the group will have to chime in/link us to the rule and when it will take effect.

2. If at all possible see if the shop will let you test the suit in a pool or open water once to check it out. This is rare but some shops will let you do this.

3. If not, go to a shop that knows wetsuits. Put the suit on and let the knowledgeable employee give you his/her opinion. The suit should feel tight. Kind of on the edge of really tight!

4. If none of the above are available then make sure you buy from a place (or online) that has a good return policy. I doubt any will let you swim in it but they better let you try it on and return it.

Wetsuits vary wildly in size/brand so make sure you know the 'rules' to get your $ back.

All suits are made of pretty much the same yamomoto neoprene. Buy what you can afford but nothing too crazy. I think the return on investment as you get to the >$500 suits is minimal.

I have an old QR superfull that is 6 years old now. Now big rips in it. Still fits. Will use it again this year.

Jamie
2011-02-10 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3349494

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
JBougher - 2011-02-10 6:59 PM

I would still be on the treadmill waiting to hit 0.75 mi with those times....I am headed off to the gym for a run swim session then I am going to fit up my new Cobb seat!

AOTD:  I generally swim 3/4 mi to 1.5 mi non stop when I train.  most of the time it is 1.25 miles unless I get bored...

Make sure you follow those directions with your Cobb saddle. I've been professionally fit by a top fitter in the industry and those simple directions put me pretty much in the same place as the expensive fit. Check the Cobb website if you don't have them. They are simplistic but spot on.

Also, for you Cobb/Adamo converts. Don't be surprised if you have to change tri shorts b/c the pad that you *might* have in your existing tri shorts will drop down into that groove and chafe you like you could never imagine!!! If you have the 'formed' pad in your shorts (shaped so it's wide in back for your butt, but narrow in front like the shape of a regular saddle) you may be changing tri shorts or buying stock in a chamois cream company.

Jamie
2011-02-10 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3348175

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
AOTD:  I will try to get in some long cont swims in the next few weeks to month - 3-4k maybe one or 2 longet than that.  Then I will switch over to a more run and bike focus.  Will pick back up in summer when I do have access (though never used before) a few lakes close by (30-40 minutes).

2011-02-10 9:40 PM

User image

New user
I followed the directions.  They are really simple that is for sure.  I gave it a quick check but plan to give it a more thorough one in the coming days.

Thanks for the input!

2011-02-11 3:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
QOTD:

Do you plan to do brick sessions (bike/run)? If so, what is your longest plan brick and what is the distance of your 'A' race this year.

QOTD2:

Who would like to do the QOTD for Monday?

Jamie

2011-02-11 6:30 AM

Winnipeg
I'd be happy to put forward the questin of the day for Monday but first another comment on wetsuits

Been a diver I figured whats the big deal I have a wet suit for diving and am use to been in one.  BUT

Just putting on your wet suit for Tri is completely different. the first couple times I wore mine, and up here in western Canada, where we wear wet suits  pretty much every race, it was terrible. I couldn't move felt uncomfortable just really a bad scenerio I was seriously thinking of not wearing it. I found an article on the net about putting your tri suit on properly and it focused on making sure you had pulled up the arms and legs and shoulders so didn't feel too contricted. Basically I pull my suit ups so its a goood 3 inches above my ankles and about 2 inches above my wrists. I have tree trunks for legs and big shoulders so maybe this is just for us bigger guys but the difference in extra room it provides is worth the effort. This takes time to pull the suit up ( especially if your suit is tight) but unbelievable the difference in making that extra room in the upper body so the suit helps you not fights you.

Now the QOTD for Monday _  do people plan to change from their cyling shorts to running shorts in the run portion of their HIM OR IM?
2011-02-11 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
I don't have a wetsuit yet but a friends of mine had the same problem with restriction, he was at a race and one of the booths and these special gloves that help you pull the suit up higher. He said it was like a new wetsuit after that. QOTD - yes I plan on doing bricks. I did lastyear. The cycling club I'm in trains in the summer on a road race track that is closed just for us. When we are done riding some of use tri guys run the track. The roadies watch and think we a crazy. On a side note. Workouts have sucked. It's been a crazy week with work and kids. Time to refocus for Monday.
2011-02-11 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
An easy way to slip into a wetsuit is to put a plastic grocery bag over your feet/hands while you are putting it on. You will glide right through. Also use a lot of bodyglide to prevent chafing. I'll second the notion that it takes quite a long time to get your wetsuit on correctly!

Jamie
2011-02-11 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Thanks for the advice on wetsuits. I think I've just got to wait until I've dropped this weight...I definitely have 10-15 to lose and it will come off. Good advice about getting into a wetsuit also. Thanks again everyone.

AOTD: on 10/29/2011 (assuming all goes according to plan) I'll be doing a 6 hour bike followed by a one hour run. That's my peak week and also longest workout. Yah, I've got it all laid out on a calendar, but I'm flexible. Life happens and I'm sure I'll have to adjust some things. My A race is IMAZ.

Brien
2011-02-11 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Wetsuits - I'll echo Jamie's recommendation that it should feel very tight in the store. The suit will loosen up in the water and feel just right.

AOTD - Due to the high volume of training I'm doing for IMTX, it almost forces me to do weekend bricks because I'm trying to meet my volume for the week. I've never done any swim/bike bricks and feel they are not as critical as bike/run bricks. In fact, the last couple weeks I've done some pretty big runs off the bike (90 minutes) which is more aggressive that what the plan calls for. These sessions are key fitness tests but also force you to do more in terms of nutrition. You can't get by on water alone for a 4+ hour workout.

Yesterday I had an interview in the afternoon (not really looking for a new job but this company has been persistent). I got home at a decent time and knocked out 2 hours on the trainer listening to podcasts I downloaded on my new iPhone. Endurance Nation has some interesting thoughts on training!

2011-02-11 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3350246

User image

Extreme Veteran
jamiej - 2011-02-11 9:43 AM An easy way to slip into a wetsuit is to put a plastic grocery bag over your feet/hands while you are putting it on. You will glide right through. Also use a lot of bodyglide to prevent chafing. I'll second the notion that it takes quite a long time to get your wetsuit on correctly! Jamie

x2 on the grocery bag, best free advice heard today.  Bread bags work well too since they are long.

Answer of Day: Yes, regularlay do bricks.  I have a marathon in May then going to switch gears to bricks, at least every other week.  Last year, in prep for HIM longest brick I did was 60 and 4 miles about 3 weeks before race.  Probably do similar this year alternating weekends between Sat Long ride, Sun Long run and then next weekend Sat Long ride, Sun Medium ride/run brick. 

One of my favorite winter workouts is a swim/trainer brick.  Not quite a true brick since theres about 15 to 20 min btwn the pool and the bike, but every little bit helps.  

This has been a brutal week between the cold outside and stress inside.  Have done like zero training.  Have to get back on the horse.  12 mile run this weekend.  Not sure about Sunday b/x things to do with kids.

Have a good weekend 
2011-02-11 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3350325

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
dhopman - 2011-02-11 11:13 AM

Wetsuits - I'll echo Jamie's recommendation that it should feel very tight in the store. The suit will loosen up in the water and feel just right.

AOTD - Due to the high volume of training I'm doing for IMTX, it almost forces me to do weekend bricks because I'm trying to meet my volume for the week. I've never done any swim/bike bricks and feel they are not as critical as bike/run bricks. In fact, the last couple weeks I've done some pretty big runs off the bike (90 minutes) which is more aggressive that what the plan calls for. These sessions are key fitness tests but also force you to do more in terms of nutrition. You can't get by on water alone for a 4+ hour workout.

Yesterday I had an interview in the afternoon (not really looking for a new job but this company has been persistent). I got home at a decent time and knocked out 2 hours on the trainer listening to podcasts I downloaded on my new iPhone. Endurance Nation has some interesting thoughts on training!

I'll agree that long bricks are not generally recommended but I do them quite often (1X/month) during heavy training weeks. I think there is nothing like prepping for a 112 mile ride, 26.2 mile run by practicing! I'll do the 100+ rides 4-5 times and extend the run to up to about 2hrs (~15miles). It works for me. I ride at my IM FTP and run on my Garmin pace. Exactly as I would do in a race. Sounds like you will be well prepared for IMTX.
Jamie
PS did you check out the IM talk podcasts I linked to a few pages back on your iphone?? Good stuff if you haven't.
2011-02-11 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3350374

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
ChicagoMan65 - 2011-02-11 11:26 AM

jamiej - 2011-02-11 9:43 AM An easy way to slip into a wetsuit is to put a plastic grocery bag over your feet/hands while you are putting it on. You will glide right through. Also use a lot of bodyglide to prevent chafing. I'll second the notion that it takes quite a long time to get your wetsuit on correctly! Jamie

x2 on the grocery bag, best free advice heard today.  Bread bags work well too since they are long.

Answer of Day: Yes, regularlay do bricks.  I have a marathon in May then going to switch gears to bricks, at least every other week.  Last year, in prep for HIM longest brick I did was 60 and 4 miles about 3 weeks before race.  Probably do similar this year alternating weekends between Sat Long ride, Sun Long run and then next weekend Sat Long ride, Sun Medium ride/run brick. 

One of my favorite winter workouts is a swim/trainer brick.  Not quite a true brick since theres about 15 to 20 min btwn the pool and the bike, but every little bit helps.  

This has been a brutal week between the cold outside and stress inside.  Have done like zero training.  Have to get back on the horse.  12 mile run this weekend.  Not sure about Sunday b/x things to do with kids.

Have a good weekend 

Weather in Indy is crap too. We should hit the mid 40's next week. It's going to feel like summer!!!

Jamie
2011-02-11 1:55 PM

Winnipeg
So far as Bricks I make an effort to do even a short brick after most long bike rides, anything over 90 minutes, even if it is only a short 10 minute jog to train the legs to make that transition. On rides over 3 hours I like to do a 30 min to 50 minute run during the last 8 weeks before a race.  these are pretty much always on week ends.

I/m lucky to have a park/lake about 15 minutes from my house and in the spring and summer alot of my training is done there which alows me to do alot of LOWS and then my faster evening bike workouts , typically I get to do at least one of each every week
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40