BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2012-05-05 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3965644

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013
I can't find a phone number to call. Do you have one to share? I feel thee are things they need to know that they didn't ask so I would rather talk to someone.

Rode the Rock N Roll HIM bike course this morning and boy was it HOT and HILLY! I had 4 bottles with me and I probably only finished 2 1/2 of them. I was dehydrated when I got off so I need to practice drinking more. That was more then what I normally drink too. Afterwards I did a quick run and that was miserable. Need to practice running in the heat. It still was a good day for me as I learned what I still need to practice. The beach where the swim is closed till Memorial day so I was not able to view the swim and transition area liked I hoped.

2012-05-05 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
Are you talking about the one in Macon?  The swim/beach area is great, nothing to worry about.   On the exit, you will have to run a little way to the bike transition area, up an asphalt path.  BE CAREFUL, they have built in little speed bumps to prevent the water from eroding the path, almost broke my toe when I did the race. 
2012-05-06 6:22 PM

User image

Expert
Crawfishman complete, details to follow.
2012-05-06 8:30 PM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
I got a finish line - the Cincinnati Flying Marathon.  A little recovery time is in order this week.  I'll get a race report up soon.  Thanks to all for all the good advice and mentoring over the past four months.  Time to focus on triathalons!
2012-05-07 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4193933

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Awesome Irishod!!  Glad you got it done.  Bring on the Tris!!
2012-05-07 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4189577

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

elcaminobill - 2012-05-03 7:22 PM Thats actually a very good question.  I find it very easy to answer.  I am very salty and or crusty, depending on the intensity of the workout.  Others are not.  You can actually see the salt on my black trishorts.

Did anyone watch the Kentucky Derby?  Thats what I look like, salty with just a bit a froth when I chomp on the bit.  Which Infinite formula do you suggest?  I've tried the salt block, but it's hard to run with.  Someone tied it to a stake in the middle of the pasture.

Happy Monday Everyone.

2012-05-07 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Are we counting the century rides as "finish lines"? I rode the Shiner GASP, from Austin south to Shiner, which is pretty much headwind the entire ride, and hot pretty much the entire 2nd half of the ride. Had a group of five (4 sporting the Cardiac Iron jerseys, and one uninitiated)... maybe I should qualify that... there were a number of times in the ride where we would be pedaling along, fighting wind and heat, using a rotating pace line, and we would realize we had a number of folks jumping on the back of the bus, taking advantage of the drafting off the Cardiac team! I was rolling off the front one time and glanced back to see another wheel not belonging to one of our riders... looked back to see we were pulling another 14 riders! Fortunately a few of them were willing to rotate to the front.

This ride used to have a group riding from Houston to Shiner, and a third from San Antonio. Those two rides were discontinued mostly as a result of logistics, I think -- I don't think the little town of Shiner can handle a 6000-plus influx, all heading for the same brewery...yup, we finish with cold beer, LOTS of water and brauts.

2012-05-08 1:04 PM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

I put a race report up.  Kind of long winded, but I want to remember the day as best I can. 

How long does it take after a marathon until you can look at a staircase without quaking in fear?  I've never been this sore in my life!  It's much worse today than it was Sunday evening.  Can't think about any meaningful exercise right now.  Maybe a short walk tonight.  Possibly an easy swim tomorrow.

How in the hell do you do one of those after a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile bike ride?  Yeash! 

Edited by irishod 2012-05-08 1:05 PM
2012-05-08 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4197708

User image

Expert
irishod - 2012-05-08 1:04 PM

I put a race report up.  Kind of long winded, but I want to remember the day as best I can. 

How long does it take after a marathon until you can look at a staircase without quaking in fear?  I've never been this sore in my life!  It's much worse today than it was Sunday evening.  Can't think about any meaningful excersise right now.  Maybe a short walk tonight.  Possibly an easy swim tomorrow.

How in the hell do you do one of those after a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile bike ride?  Yeash! 

After my first marathon, I didn't work out the whole week.  After a few more marathons I found that I recover faster.  Definitely go for a walk or swim if you feel like it.  It will help the recovery.

As for doing it after a 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile bike ride - most people don't run that marathon as hard as a stand alone marathon.  When you put the training in, you'll be surprised at what your body can do.  But, there is a reason most people only do one Ironman a year at the most.

2012-05-08 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4197708

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
irishod - 2012-05-08 11:04 AM

How long does it take after a marathon until you can look at a staircase without quaking in fear?  I've never been this sore in my life!  It's much worse today than it was Sunday evening.  Can't think about any meaningful exercise right now.  Maybe a short walk tonight.  Possibly an easy swim tomorrow.

Congratulations!

After my first open marathon, I stood on the curb watching the traffic.
Wishing you a speeding recovery. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I

2012-05-08 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4198141

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

Congratulations!

After my first open marathon, I stood on the curb watching the traffic.
Wishing you a speeding recovery. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Fit.  That YouTube clip is hilarious.  I'd fit right in.

Edited by irishod 2012-05-08 8:20 PM

2012-05-08 9:33 PM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Hiya...

Congrats on all the finishes!!!  Go Iris... you rock..

Life is a bear these days, but have to tell of a problem and ask for advice or if anyone has had the same thing..

Last couple of times that I have bricked, my left calf immediately begins to cramp when starting run from bike... first time I walked..then ran.. then cramped.. then walked then ran..etc.. was sore for several days so took a couple off....

Today.. same thing..same calf.. right never bothers me....would wonder about nutrition if it was more than one muscle... (todays brick was a short all 3 brick...1000 swim.. 5 mile bike..2 mile run)  stopped this time before completing first half mile of run because didn't want to hurt it.

(ps.. the two times it has happenned has been from stationary to treadmill, not bike to road)

anyhoo.. thats the story..

M.

2012-05-09 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Irishod great job on the marathon!  And great job on the race report.  Glad to hear your Achilles didn't bother you.

Fit, loved the video!!!!!

Malsup, I have not had that problem so I am not able to give you advise.  The only thought that came to my mind was that maybe you were dehydrated.

Billy - Yes I was referring to the race in Macon.  Thinks for the heads up about the bumps and to watch out for my toes.

I finally talked to the owner of Infinit and he did have to change my formula around from how I answered the questions.  So it was a good thing we talked.  I hope to get it before this weekend so I can practice on my 4 hour bike ride.

During my long drives I come up with the weirdest thoughts and yesterday I was thinking what would I do once I cross the finish line at IMKY.  I want to do something besides lifting my arms up.  Need to work on that.  Then I was writing my thank you's to everyone (in my head) and I had included you guys.  Yes, the LRR group even though I haven't crossed that line yet, you have all been so supported and I couldn't get this far without you guys, so thank you and keep at it!

2012-05-09 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Irish,

Loved the race report!!  I teared up.  You are a very good writer.  You so inspired me!  Never thought I would do a full marathon but you got me thinking, maybe.  I am trying to get my tachycardia diagnosed because it is a huge limiter.  My legs want to go faster but I can't breathe because my HR is 160's at a slow pace of 11-12 minute miles, going 4:1.  Maybe it is exercised induced asthma, I don't know but I am going for a work up.

Again, great job to you and your great family for supporting you!

I'm going out of town to a wedding.  Hope to get my training in.  I have a plan and hope it works.

Have a great week end everyone!!

Suzie, hope you are out there and doing well.

2012-05-09 8:47 PM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Good luck with the work up Avisser. I hope it yields some positive answers. And thanks for the kind words, Avisser and everyone. It's so nice to have a place to come to share these experiences with people who know what goes into doing these events.
2012-05-10 7:53 PM

Regular

I just got of the phone with the infinit president, Mike.  He had called me Tuesday but I was not able to answer the phone and he'd left a message.  This was the second day in a row I did not get to calling back during the day so I thought I'd leave a message.  Surprise, he picks up and says he'd just assume interview me so he can get a formula together, he wa snacking groceries.  That is amazing customer service!

Talking to him sure made me understand how he was using the answers to calculate things.  

Anyway, it is ordered so I will let you know how it goes.  

Great race report Irishod, enjoyed reading it!

Avisser good luck on figuring out what is going on.

Less than 8 weeks till the 70.3.  Not feeling too good about it as I have trained less in the last 3 months than the 3 months before that due to life issues.  Hope to get back into it soon so I can have an enjoyable experience.  Or maybe this just does not fit into my life...

2012-05-11 9:38 AM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Iris,... read the race report... very nice!!... Needed a bit of motivation and that helped...

Training tough.. dealing with the leg issue... travel... life....

Have my first race/triathlon next weekend the 19th.... nervous..understatement... excited.. not quite sure yet... ready to add a finish line and become one of all you guys... definitely...

ugh....

M.

2012-05-12 10:26 AM

Extreme Veteran
A wet Saturday bike ride - done. Great job on the century and marathon and Billy's little race. Finish lines updated. What are you doing this weekend?
2012-05-12 10:36 AM

Extreme Veteran
Pam- keep the faith. Relax. Train. You can do this. Ann - what happens if you run 1:1 or 2:1. Relax and just do what you can. Forget the time and pace. I would like you to leave the electronics at home. Go for a run. Walk as often a required to manage your heart rate. Sometimes we get so focused on the numbers we don't enjoy the moment. Let us know about the Infinit experiments. Mike FOLAN is a GREAT guy.
2012-05-13 8:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I received my Infinit drink mix on Friday and used it on my bike ride on Saturday.  By drinking the mix I was able to not use my gels that was on my bike for just in case and I felt good going into the run afterwards.  I am still experimenting with the drink and hope it will be the solution.

I also been seeing my physical therapist and it seems that we found a solution to my hamstring issue.  Went for my run today and for once I was pain free.

This is too cute not to share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B03dFMG8nR4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2012-05-15 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin

To any of you doing Ironman Texas this weekend, I will see you on the bike course...just look for the tan Goldwing that says Ride Marshal all over it... now where did I put that red card? Laughing

Seriously, this will be seeing Ironman from a different perspective than I have before. But I will be done in time to see some friends cross that finish line!

I hope everybody's training is getting them to where they want to be!

2012-05-15 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4210281

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
triplebypat - 2012-05-15 6:52 AM

To any of you doing Ironman Texas this weekend, I will see you on the bike course...just look for the tan Goldwing that says Ride Marshal all over it... now where did I put that red card? Laughing

Seriously, this will be seeing Ironman from a different perspective than I have before. But I will be done in time to see some friends cross that finish line!

I hope everybody's training is getting them to where they want to be!

Thank you for volunteering.   While we, as athletes, savoring the stories of elite athletes, brave and couragous age groupers and the average weekend athlete who rise to the challange and chase their dreams.  There would be no race, not start or finishline without all the volunteers doing their part.   

Cheers,

2012-05-17 9:44 AM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

I had yesterday off and thought I'd try something a little different, so I drove out to Mt. Airy Forest and did a trail run.  Wow, totally different than a road run.  Up and down, very muddy, over downed trees etc.  Great workout and a lot of fun.  I only fell once, covering my hands, knees and legs with mud.  I felt really cool running out of the trail with all that mud.  Luckily I drove my Son's car (he's home from college now, and sleeping till noon most days), so I didn't muddy up mine! 

I think it took more out of me than a normal run.  I'm more sore than I would have thought, and I just didn't have much energy for my swim workout in the afternoon.  Hopefully it's a good way to train though. 

2012-05-17 10:21 AM

User image

Expert

That sounds like it would be fun.   Dirtying up my sons car that is!

Please feel free to correct me LRR, but if you are training for something specific, like an A race, you need to take your"off" days pretty serious.  Rest is as important as training.  Not saying to not go have fun, but to  be careful how you have fun.

Hope that didn't come across a a total bummer.

2012-05-17 10:35 AM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Just an observation....

did our group go from being one of the most active to one of the least active? 

Is it just life, training, races or something?

I Hope all is well with everyone individually on the most important part of our lives.. the homefront!

Monte

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57